Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
On voice controls - apparently some streamer has beaten elden ring (including killing Malenia, the hardest boss) using voice controls only. No idea if it's bullshit but it's on video and would be pretty easy to disprove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
People have beaten Elden Ring's bosses in a bunch of insane ways, including having two separate Malenia fights run at the same time and beating both - one on a controller, one on a gamepad dancepad. So I'd believe the voice commander did it as well :D

Sorry, dancepad :) or dancemat?

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Mar 17, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

one on a controller, one on a gamepad

wät

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

A dancepad, sorry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

A dancepad, sorry

Oh, some gizmo.

(I bought a really cheap dance mat off Amazon some years ago to play some Jungle Book game I'd gotten for free for the PS, and it was so slippery I fell on my arse and never played again. I guess I should've taken my socks off.)

e: must've been this:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Szurumbur posted:

People have beaten Elden Ring's bosses in a bunch of insane ways, including having two separate Malenia fights run at the same time and beating both - one on a controller, one on a gamepad dancepad. So I'd believe the voice commander did it as well :D

Sorry, dancepad :) or dancemat?

I tried to play through Doom on a dance pad. Managed to beat the first level but it was like a stormtrooper shootout most of the time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I mean if it gets me a remake...

I'm mostly sure that the weirder commands were intended to be Easter eggs and/or jokes as opposed to something weird, but then again the game is from like 2004 or whatever so who knows. Weirdly enough it was the first game my now wife and I played together lol, which is definitely part of the reason I've got such a soft spot for it

Pretty incredible how much bizarre X-Play footage is out there, feels like every day I see stranger/worse things from it

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

My favorite little thing in games is eating, lots of variations of food and meals. Not as an actual important gameplay thing, just as a little cute detail.

Always choose the Hyper Kabob in Chrono Trigger.

Terranigma has lots of different regional eats that are not important in any way, since there is no hunger mechanic and you can just fully heal in any inn.
One of my favorites is this games version of McDonald's that unlocks after fully developing the north american town.

+ the many things you can gobble up in the Metroidvanias. Alucard getting a big NY pizza from a cave frog drop will never not amuse me.

Grab Im Moor has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Mar 17, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Just doing my patriotic duty in Maneater's DLC.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
SFG did a playthrough of it. The game is quite clever with the amount of pointless responses at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EFePFnJrOM&t=1708s
Shoot the table
28:28

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You fight a cake in Super Mario RPG

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I loved playing Red Faction back in 2001 and being able to not find a key but still advance by blowing up the wall next to the locked door.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shard posted:

I loved playing Red Faction back in 2001 and being able to not find a key but still advance by blowing up the wall next to the locked door.

With the Jedi Fallen Order sequel coming out, I was thinking how cool it would be to apply this kind of design to a game with "realistic" lightsabers. Probably too messy in practice, but I really want to go "well gently caress that" at a locked door and just slice my way through.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

With the Jedi Fallen Order sequel coming out, I was thinking how cool it would be to apply this kind of design to a game with "realistic" lightsabers. Probably too messy in practice, but I really want to go "well gently caress that" at a locked door and just slice my way through.

That sounds neat, but then you run into the issue of either adding in something to make that option less appealing that people would just bitch about anyways (in Red Faction's case, it's needing explosives to blow up the wall), or making it so that having keys becomes pointless because you can just cut your way through every door.

Neat idea, I'm just not sure how you could implement it that would make everyone content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Metal Gear Rising I remember there being a rocket launcher on top of a shelf, but in that game precise platforming is kind of difficult. So I entered blade mode and cut the shelf apart which brought the rocket launcher to me :black101:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My son has been getting into the old sonic games and it's been fun kinda telling him how things were different when I was a kid. Like I'll use WEMOD to help him get through 99 percent of games and then explain to him how I never beat certain games until recently because unless you had both the game genie/gameshark and the code books you couldn't use cheat codes. And these games were designed to not only be hard but to make you start all the way over so you could get all the way to the end and then end up back at green hill zone and that's kinda it for that session.

It's kinda wild how different it is for him than it was for me in like '92. I remember going to video game stores and writing down codes from books I couldn't afford or straight up tearing out pages because we didn't have the internet until like '96.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

That reminds me of a childhood cliffhanger of mine. Around 1988 or so, my friend's dad had a computer for work and a few games. One of them was Congo Bongo. We were absolutely awful at it and it took weeks of occasional playing to almost beat level 4. The levels were all themed differently so we couldn't wait to finally see level 5. Then one day we found the disk clearly half-eaten by his younger brother. That was it.

Maybe 20 years later it popped up somewhere and I realized I could easily find and play the game, and already had the MAME version from a massive ROM torrent. It's not very hard at all. There are 4 levels.

Back then there was no obvious way for a child to get literally any information about something like that. The closest thing I had to the internet was some older kids up the street who built HAM radios and let me play their 2600.

By the time Mortal Kombat 2 came out - sorry Mortal Kombat ][ - I was printing move lists from Usenet and selling them for 25¢ per character.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Mar 17, 2023

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Playing Infernax, which is a "8-bit" tribute to games like Simon's Quest but with gore and it's really good. At one point early on you reach a dead end thats exactly like the infamous cliff you have to kneel at in Simon's Quest.

If you try the trick in Infernax, it does indeed work. A tornado comes and takes you away. Then you get a screen that tells you that "if only you had known that kneeling there for 10 seconds summons a lethal tornado". You then see blood shoot out of the tornado and you die and get an achievement called "Master of the Wind".

I thought it was pretty funny.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Try the Konami code if you haven't already.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've 100%d Fallout 4 years ago and played through it IDK a half dozen times.

Only just now discovered you can bang on the lid of your icebox during the kodnapping scene. I guess they decided because they already had to make the animation for a cutscene, why not have the player be able to trigger it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh, some gizmo.

(I bought a really cheap dance mat off Amazon some years ago to play some Jungle Book game I'd gotten for free for the PS, and it was so slippery I fell on my arse and never played again. I guess I should've taken my socks off.)

e: must've been this:

Walt Disneyn?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

Walt Disneyn?

"Walt Disney's" in Finnish.
Genitive forms differ from language to language!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Well they shouldn't.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Took me a bit to realise the green words were finnish, and not an art algorithm struggling to reproduce letters

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tree Bucket posted:

Took me a bit to realise the green words were finnish, and not an art algorithm struggling to reproduce letters

I'm actually really curious what the translation there is, because it can't be real words

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Leave posted:

I'm actually really curious what the translation there is, because it can't be real words
In order:

Walt Disney's
Jungle Book
Swing Adventure

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Suleman posted:

In order:

Walt Disney's
Jungle Book
Swing Adventure

Bah, I was hoping for something more ridiculous, or a fun cultural thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Suleman posted:

"Walt Disney's" in Finnish.
Genitive forms differ from language to language!

I don't believe in any of that LG TV BBQ nonsense, there's only 2 genitives like God intended.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Grab Im Moor posted:

My favorite little thing in games is eating, lots of variations of food and meals. Not as an actual important gameplay thing, just as a little cute detail.

Have you played Caves of Qud? It's a part of the gameplay but the detail and variation put into cooking and recipes is amazing

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Grab Im Moor posted:

In Yakuza Like a Dragon not only does all the food look delicious and all the alcohol is real brands, but ordering certain things at certain restaurants triggers little cut scenes where you and your party members will chat about whatever you're eating. There are some minor game play advantages to eating at restaurants but the really important part is it's adorable.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Have you played Caves of Qud? It's a part of the gameplay but the detail and variation put into cooking and recipes is amazing

No but looks cool, thanks for the rec! Reminds me of the old Ultima games, where food was also a core mechanic, especially in VII.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baby Bayonetta drops a "flock off" in Cereza and the Lost Demon :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Shadow of Rome on PS2 and my GOD is the combat fun in that game. I love grabbing whatever weapons and shields are to hand and trying to eke out victories against better armed people, and then getting the opportunity to steal their bigger weapons and use them against them. Also when you are in the arena, the audience actually interacts with you, you can mug for them after killing someone and they'll throw weapons and meat into the arena to give you an edge, which is awesome. I'm just at the first major Octavianus section after fighting the first boss that had a health bar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Baby Bayonetta drops a "flock off" in Cereza and the Lost Demon :3:

So far as I'm aware, this phrase dates back to Devil May Cry 1, where Dante tells Gryphon "Flock off, featherface!":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHWRTUdYimI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i didn't click with Rain World but i love the idea behind its "difficulty levels." every character begins the game at a different point in the (always post-apocalyptic) timeline, which results in altered story content and degrees of hostility from the world depending on how hosed up everything is at the time

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have a real soft spot in my heart for Shadow Hearts on the PS2. I used to rent that game all the time. I just really dug the time period, the location, the violence, the gameplay. It's so unique and I don't think I've seen an RPG quite like it still.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got a lot further in Shadow of Rome and it's got a lot of variety. So far the arena fights have been VERY fun and varied and you even go to different arenas which have different graphical backdrops like the second one in the north is dilapidated due to only recently being in conquered territory, and it's cold and snowy so has a different pallet to the starting Arena. Also you can interact with the crowds to get items by showing off to the stage, some of which are purely for fun like at one point I got extra points because someone threw me a rose and so I threw the rose at the boss and it had a unique message (goofy messages come up on screen when fighting in certain ways in the arena fights to really get across how trashy this type of entertainment is, if you are fighting outside the arena those messages don't come up because those fights are taken more seriously, it's stuff like "DOMINO EFFECT!" if you knock multiple people into each other and "DISARMED" if you cut someone's arm off).

Also the stealth as Octavianus is interesting and fun because of the varied environments and there are funny bits like using banana skins or honey so make people slip alongside using disguises, sneaking or stealth attacks to kill or bypass guards. I'm currently a huge chunk into chapter 2. Also the dialog is just funny, like while the food in the gladiator pits is bad there are varying reactions like one guy who's not minding it because "After that last blow to the head, all I can taste are colours anyway..."

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
That game seems cool but is so wildly ahistorical that I think my eye would twitch the entire time I played it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

That game seems cool but is so wildly ahistorical that I think my eye would twitch the entire time I played it.

I am enjoying aspects of the mystery. like Octavianus hears about Caesars last words (the guy taking the fall heard them while running to his aid and found his body) and figures out a lot by deconstructing the grammar. Like "Et tu, Brute...'And you too, Brutus'... so there was a guy called Brutus, who sounds like he was close to my Uncle, plus other accomplices involved..." and so he has to figure out who Marcus Brutus is because he doesn't know his late uncle's inner circle very well and now I'm following him to try to find out more about the conspiracy that Brutus and Cicero are part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I am enjoying aspects of the mystery. like Octavianus hears about Caesars last words (the guy taking the fall heard them while running to his aid and found his body) and figures out a lot by deconstructing the grammar. Like "Et tu, Brute...'And you too, Brutus'... so there was a guy called Brutus, who sounds like he was close to my Uncle, plus other accomplices involved..." and so he has to figure out who Marcus Brutus is because he doesn't know his late uncle's inner circle very well and now I'm following him to try to find out more about the conspiracy that Brutus and Cicero are part of.

But there was never a mystery about who killed Caesar and Brutus was fairly well known too. There was in fact graffiti in Rome that encouraged Brutus to kill Caesar.