Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

100 Gecs are terrible. I don't care if it's intentional or whatever it's everything I don't like about music.

100 gecs is to Sleaford Mods as WAVVES is to Sebadoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
New M83's boring me tbh.

New Sleaford Mods fucks tho

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love me some Sleaford Mods. Nudge It was one of my fav tracks in 2021 along with amyl and the sniffers’ guided by angels. Great crossover!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I put "you're pretty good looking for a girl" on the jukebox "as a joke"; drunkenly, I rant loudly about how I never liked the White Stripes and, paradoxically, that I liked them before they "sold out" with White Blood Cells. By the end of the night, I'm singing along and buying used The Fall shirts on ebay, posting in a local Facebook group that I "really, really" want to start a band of guys who play nothing but covers of Uffie and Annie songs. Passed out in my own puke,

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, y'all weren't kidding about the new M83. I haven't liked one of his albums this much since his first two

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s really really good. Played through it twice now and only one song I would say I’m not into, but the last bit of that one is great so whatever.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

100 Gecs are anti-music and that's kind of the point?

trying to get myself into the mindset of a guy who finds this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtfkrGRK8wA

so utterly alien he not only mentally categorizes it as "anti-music" but also says that to other people like it's helpful

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Nightmare Cinema gingerly tuning his car radio to an FM pop station and hovering his finger over the OnStar button in case the utterly bizarre and avant-garde sounds on display result in his car instantly bursting into flames

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
that song is good but it isn't hard to imagine why a goon in their 30s or 40s wouldn't "get" or appreciate it

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
i mean i guess so but "anti-music" is going pretty far

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah true

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Unwound reunites after 20 years and still loving rips. Saw them in Philly on Thursday.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd heard of 100 gecs but hadn't checked it out yet, that tune is pretty cool. It kinda gave me a Blink-182 vibe, weirdly

God talk about nightmare tenants though, lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
100 gecs are pop-punk, nu-metal, ska, dubstep, PC Music, trance, and probably several other genres blended and put through an internet translator several times and it’s so goddamn good

Anti-music is I guess a reference to how a lot of it is somewhat satirical and definitely tongue-in-cheek but that definitely applies more to the first album whereas this one feels like they took the actual songwriting side more seriously and actually attempted to make bangers within their style. Either way it’s not “joke music” like I see people characterise it as frequently, there’s clearly a lot of real love and passion there along with the obvious stupid amount of fun they’re having

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gone Fashing posted:

that song is good but it isn't hard to imagine why a goon in their 30s or 40s wouldn't "get" or appreciate it

Lmao

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

100 gecs are pop-punk, nu-metal, ska, dubstep, PC Music, trance, and probably several other genres blended and put through an internet translator several times and it’s so goddamn good

Anti-music is I guess a reference to how a lot of it is somewhat satirical and definitely tongue-in-cheek but that definitely applies more to the first album whereas this one feels like they took the actual songwriting side more seriously and actually attempted to make bangers within their style. Either way it’s not “joke music” like I see people characterise it as frequently, there’s clearly a lot of real love and passion there along with the obvious stupid amount of fun they’re having

Its probably just the album cover but i get a bad crystal castles vibe from these guys

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

also sleigh bells already did this

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

It kinda sounds like Matt & Kim bought a distortion pedal.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

priznat posted:

. It kinda gave me a Blink-182 vibe, weirdly

Agreed. It reminds me of blink 182 in the sense that it makes me want to stop listening as soon as humanly possible

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

so far this year I’m really liking the Tennis, M83, Fever Ray, Yves Tumor, Murder Capital, and The Blaze!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
the new Yves Tumor is really really good, yeah

sube
Nov 7, 2022

been listening to this post-punk band called Убей меня, Эйс:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnxqBEcfzw

their singer is great and i love their beats. their album Глаза. Рты. И что-то человеческое (Часть 2) is very good, from what I read it's about a guy and his inner demon, but I can't speak Ukrainian so I didn't understand the lyrics.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

100 Gecs are terrible. I don't care if it's intentional or whatever it's everything I don't like about music.

we get it bro you hate nu metal

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

whos that broooown posted:

also sleigh bells already did this

sleigh bells only have 1 good album. 100 gecs has 2 incredible albums

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

The REAL Goobusters posted:

sleigh bells only have 1 good album. 100 gecs has 2 incredible albums

The remix album is also incredible.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
it's so weird what happened to Sleigh Bells. they put out a truly incredible first album, managed to follow it up with an okay second album, and then just kinda spent ten years farting out mediocre shoegazy guitar rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to it now and the new Yves Tumor is indeed good

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

prayer group posted:

Nightmare Cinema gingerly tuning his car radio to an FM pop station and hovering his finger over the OnStar button in case the utterly bizarre and avant-garde sounds on display result in his car instantly bursting into flames

Tbf, I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixO8LZob2tM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_rPd_ufK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onzEYxBlDTM

100 Gecs misses me tho.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Numetal is definitely one of those genres that I really wish was not the current one that we’ve decided deserves a critical reappraisal. All listening to hoobastank and remembering being fourteen and telling your dad you hate him.

I miss deerhunter. It seems like they did the stealth breakup in the vein of grizzly bear. Rough couple years to be an indie band with an animal name

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It has been wild seeing Deftones have a resurgence (although they never went away and have been putting out solid albums) as apparently the zoomers are getting into them?

They’re not really numetal imo but get lumped in there a lot.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nu metal is and always has been good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Rough couple years to be an indie band with an animal name

The Dears finally put a new album out not long ago!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Nü-metal was an awful trend because it was just kind of ridiculous to turn on the radio and suddenly everybody was trying to make you care deeply about their bad childhood over identical-sounding minor chord riffs.

But I don't have a problem with the bands who really meant it. It just happened to be the least fun bandwagon ever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A couple of my guilty pleasure tracks are the riff heavy singles from P.O.D. (Boom and Alive) so I can never judge anyone’s musical tastes :haw:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Deftones rule and were only nu metal because of that back to school song imo.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm absolutely too old for 100 gecs, but I imagine the PC Music elements are what most doubters are bouncing off of. "Anti-music" is still hilarious, as most of this is fairly shallow end of the pool compared to most straight hyperpop.

Album is enjoyable, but would be more so if I were 24. Yves Tumor album loving rips, though.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
what is PC music

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Isn’t it like some hyperpop thing.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Okay, you may be too old for 100 gecs, but were you too old for Neil Cicierega’s mouth sound albums ten years ago? It’s kinda the same thing, spiritually speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I get all that new music but the M83 is a great balanced and works well compared with the best of his material so it loving owns.

It's got slow parts but that's the point.

100 gecs is fine.

I'd rather listen to Turnstile for a modern day pump up band.