Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

melon cat posted:

Every new townhouse build under construction in my area has realtor signs on it before the sod is laid down so building more housing won't do anything to resolve the Canadian housing crisis as long as realtors are allowed to using their inside access to snatch up properties for a quick flip

Unfortunately, I don't even really blame realtors for that one. It is frequently a requirement if you want to sell units for the new development.

Why yes, that does sound like a problem all on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

melon cat posted:

Every new townhouse build under construction in my area has realtor signs on it before the sod is laid down so building more housing won't do anything to resolve the Canadian housing crisis as long as realtors are allowed to using their inside access to snatch up properties for a quick flip

I don't think this anything unusual or a "quick flip" unless we're classifying simple building creation as a flip.

Builders buying some piece of poo poo end of life derelict building, then subdividing the property, building two homes, or building a duplex or possibly assembling the property with another and building a townhouse, this is all just standard builder stuff. Their basic business model.

And at the end of this they put up the property for sale, so we'll always see a realtor sign outside a new building they just built.

It is enormously more rare for an individual home owner to buy a home, demolish it themselves and build a new home themselves. This is like a rich person activity, not a typical thing.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

You realize realtors have to purchase pre-sales from the developer if they want to sell from that development right?

Some duplex build no, but larger poo poo yes.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

maybe...? I dunno I think it's been becoming pretty common for a developer to hold units back for sale even in a pre-sale environment (was becoming very popular when market was hot), and also, alternatively, we're assuming here that all pre-sales are actually selling before completion! Not necessarily true as things have started slowing down. It's possible that pre-sales are having trouble moving.

Consider for example this condo under development in Chinatown. Possibly related to spiking interest rates and anxieties around the perceived increase of crime in Chinatown, but even while this condo is well, well under construction and finishing soon, there remain 10 pre-sale units for sale. Not too long until completion is over and in such case they'll be for sale as the building opens.

Possible that these are owned by the developer. Also very well possible that these are pre-sale contracts that people are badly trying to get out of, because they can no longer afford them and they're trying to bail and not complete. (These people even could be taking a loss here)

Developers only need to sell a percentage of pre-sales to get lending approved to build the building. Not all. So we don't know why these units are for sale.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 18, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jesus Christ $1.1 million for 880 sq. ft.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Femtosecond posted:

I don't think this anything unusual or a "quick flip" unless we're classifying simple building creation as a flip.

Builders buying some piece of poo poo end of life derelict building, then subdividing the property, building two homes, or building a duplex or possibly assembling the property with another and building a townhouse, this is all just standard builder stuff. Their basic business model.

And at the end of this they put up the property for sale, so we'll always see a realtor sign outside a new building they just built.

It is enormously more rare for an individual home owner to buy a home, demolish it themselves and build a new home themselves. This is like a rich person activity, not a typical thing.

I don't think you're understanding how the process goes. Realtors are given privileged access to real estate data- they literally pay for this access. For many years realtors have been getting advance notice of sales opportunities that the general buying public does not have. This has been putting realtors at the front of the line before a showroom even goes up.

Femtosecond posted:

alternatively, we're assuming here that all pre-sales are actually selling before completion! Not necessarily true as things have started slowing down. It's possible that pre-sales are having trouble moving.

Things have only started to slow down in the last year or so. Prior to that we've had 5-7 years of presales selling before completion since the market has been running red hot. It is this past 5-7 years of real estate speculation that has brought us to today's housing climate- not the last year where things have started slowing down. Before COVID I lived next to and driven through to blocks of new developments with various realtors' "FOR SALE" signs plunked into front lawns before the paint inside dried.

And the only reason why things appear to be "slowing down" is because developers are starting to build more rental developments than they are freehold developments since they can get government grants for "adding to the local rental stock" and in Ontario they can charge high rents without rent control. This is further constraining the supply of freehold housing and could explain why you've been seeing less realtor signs on new subdivisions.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 18, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

melon cat posted:

I don't think you're understanding how the process goes. Realtors are given privileged access to real estate data- they literally pay for this access. For many years realtors have been getting advance notice of sales opportunities that the general buying public does not have. This has been putting realtors at the front of the line before a showroom even goes up.

Things have only started to slow down in the last year or so. Prior to that we've had 5-7 years of presales selling before completion. It is this past 5-7 years of real estate speculation that has brought us to today's housing climate- not the last year where things have started slowing down. Right before COVID I have driven through blocks of new developments with various realtors' "FOR SALE" signs plunked into front lawns before the paint inside dried.

Yeah ok. Totally true that realtors have privileged access and they see all these developments early. Because realtors are such turbo real estate bulls they of course are going all in investing in real estate themselves.

I guess what I'm getting at is that at the moment from a glance we have no way of knowing what these realtor signs actually mean. Whether a realtor sign outside a development represents a realtor smugly flipping a pre-sale and making an easy gain, or in contrast a realtor helping someone dump their underwater pre-sale contract they can't close on due to near 7% interest rates.

Back in 2016 it was almost certain it was the former, you're right, and that was the environment when developers were actually putting details in their contracts to claw back capital gains if people flipped presale contracts because it was becoming so common.

However things are quite a bit different right now and I'm not so sure there's any money in flipping a property in this environment.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I wonder if realtors have been particularly bullish to carry them over their flip-cons in the next year on top of the obvious paycheque they get from a sale.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Can also say our eternally nonexistant to lovely soundproofing adds to people hating apartment living. Nobody wants to hear everything you do in semi muffled detail.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

tagesschau posted:

A lot of the people hired as experts are evidently not experts, either. That's how you get policymakers floating the idea of replacing the Scarborough RT with something that follows the same failure of a route, insisting they can make fetch "mobility hubs" happen, and acting like plopping a skyscraper in the middle of Greektown isn't insane.

Sure, but that's a separate problem. My issue is how this happens over and over again
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/residents-oppose-social-housing-project-1.6782918

quote:

Yet some residents of the West Island suburb have come out in strong opposition, and that outcry has been powerful enough to delay the council's zoning amendment vote last Monday. Residents brought forward a petition signed by more than 160 people, citing concerns about crime, drugs and property value.

Now Mayor Paola Hawa is working to explain to residents that this project is not a halfway house for people with criminal backgrounds or substance abuse issues.

"This is for people who have been dealt a difficult hand in the past and they need a little bit of help to get back on their feet," said Hawa.

These pieces of poo poo will not accept even the most mundane of housing for the dastardly poors, so you have to stop asking them, stop letting them have input, and stop providing routes for them to hold up anything to do with housing.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Also, densifying the Danforth, particularly at the planned intersection of two multi-billion dollar subway lines, is the complete opposite of insane.

The real policy failure was letting the Danforth/Greektown preserve its built form in amber amid slow population decline for the past 70 years.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fidelitious posted:

Sure, but that's a separate problem. My issue is how this happens over and over again
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/residents-oppose-social-housing-project-1.6782918

These pieces of poo poo will not accept even the most mundane of housing for the dastardly poors, so you have to stop asking them, stop letting them have input, and stop providing routes for them to hold up anything to do with housing.

it's almost as if citizen voice oriented systems end up heavily rigged towards the preservation of the status quo where unrepresentative interests use coded dog-whistle language that is unquantifiable or measurable (such as "community character") and can therefore deliberately make the whole system more risky and costly for anyone who seeks to get approval through it

:thunk:

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 19, 2023

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Health Services posted:

Also, densifying the Danforth, particularly at the planned intersection of two multi-billion dollar subway lines, is the complete opposite of insane.

Not all densification is created equal. There's nothing wrong with adding that many units in midrise units stretching out for half a kilometer in every direction. Treating a skyscraper as a suitable equivalent, just because it's easier than acquiring the land required to build the midrises, is mind-bogglingly stupid. It's fine to aspire to the land use patterns you see in European cities, but building skyscrapers wherever you can does absolutely nothing to achieve that.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
There's not anything wrong with building high rises to densify transit cores.

In any case, the Danforth had their chance to have a midrise city and they collectively turned it down. If, at any point during the last 70 years they had decided to build anything and not preserve a 1950s time capsule, maybe there would be an argument against tall buildings. But they didn't, and there isn't.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Health Services posted:

There's not anything wrong with building high rises to densify transit cores.

In any case, the Danforth had their chance to have a midrise city and they collectively turned it down. If, at any point during the last 70 years they had decided to build anything and not preserve a 1950s time capsule, maybe there would be an argument against tall buildings. But they didn't, and there isn't.

There's nothing wrong with planning six-story buildings with one twice as tall here and there in that area. There's no good reason to plop down a building that's going to be a vertical slum in 50 years.

"They're responsible for their area not being dense enough, so it's fine if we just say 'YOLO' and gently caress it up even worse" is not a solid argument.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Effectively regardless of whatever city building political system we were operating under, it has always been instantly been taken over by the interests of the established, wealthy, landowning elite.

Prior to the 1970s the system was dominated by wealthy business elite and they leveraged the bureaucracy to impose with top down efficiency the big projects they wanted on the city's citizens. Because they were the wealthy business elite, these projects never impacted the wealthy single family home areas where they lived and so instead we had notions like "let's raze all of Chinatown to build a highway" and such.

Then in the 70s across North America you had a revolution and push back against this sort of top down bureaucratic driven planning and a switch to grass roots consultation driven community planning. While a noble idea, the problem was that this community planning process was instantly hijacked by those with the most time and effort to be able to pour into the process, which just so happened to be the wealthy landowning elite.

And so accordingly any attempt whatsoever to change the existing wealthy neighbourhoods has run up against a small group of the population that effectively welds power through the system to block anything and everything. The end result is that development is only easy and viable in areas this small group of privileged homeowners doesn't care about, and so we end up with new apartment buildings being suggested and approved in neighbourhoods dominated by renters and marginalized ethnic groups (eg Chinatown) or obscure old industrial areas.

I've seen come comments from YIMBYs that everything went wrong in the 70s and we simply need to go back to the way it once was, but I suspect it's no real solution. It seems like development was easier back then, but I think it was still focused on marginal areas away from the rich. The challenge now is that with ultra low vacancy we need to build more housing equitably all over and that runs against that wealthy single family home owning class that have effectively exerted power both before and after the community planning revolutions of the 1970s.

The big problem with grass roots community consultation driven planning is that the people who do not currently live in the neighbourhood but who would like to are not and cannot be represented. The result is that it's all too easy for the community to plan for zero growth.

The solution as it seems to me is that some higher order of government, whether it be some broader metropolitan regional government, or provincial government, needs to step in to exert power to represent these groups that would otherwise receive no "vote" on affairs.

Possibly this could take the form of mandated minimum growth targets, which is something that the BC government seems to be interested in and has said they're going to do (still unclear how much they'll be wielding a stick here). The notion here being that municipalities have to plan for some amount of growth, that No cannot be an option, but cities can use community planning to figure out where and how they would like that growth to occur.

This seems like an improvement but it seems to me there remains a way that wealthy elite could again hijack the process and funnel all mandated growth into tiny slices of cities, far from their lush, rich low density single family neighbourhoods.

Another approach could be growth is accommodated and the vetos on new housing is avoided by broadly mandating some basic minimums to zoning and home sizes and types. For example this could mean that on some set size of lot one must be allowed to build a fourplex as a minimum. Or that within certain areas around planned transit corridors, there is some mandated minimum apartment size that is allowed by right.

The upside of this approach could be that one could see a broader amount of homes types more equitably distributed as finally now, even in established rich neighbourhoods, no one could prevent someone from building new housing.

A possible downside of this approach is is that if housing is so directly tied to transit, we could see established wealthy groups that want to keep their neighbourhoods exclusive mobilize against transit expansion. I suppose we've already seen some feeble attempts at this with the new TEAM Vancouver municipal party, locally strong in the west side of Vancouver, pushing back against the UBC Skytrain expansion. (Fortunately TEAM ate poo poo in the election and got zero traction).

Additionally I suppose this could rob cities of some of their planning power which could arguably be bad in some cases. For example it could become harder for cities to fiddle with zoning to encourage protection of some heritage buildings or something else they want to do yada yada. This all seems addressable to me though.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 19, 2023

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Fidelitious posted:

Its a shame this opposition exists, because Ste-anne-de bellevue has a fairly nice walkeable "downtown" along lakeshore drive, with many shops, restaurants, boardwalks, etc. Heck - students from John Abbott college, McGill, and the local highschool all frequent the downtown as well. It can certainly benefit from more densification and a better mix.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if these signatures came from residents in next-door Senneville, or upscale Baie D'Urfe (An odd area on Montreal island's west side, that has houses which would make a Westmounter green with envy).

I think these people will never be happy - even if Annies catches fire a fourth time.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 20, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

One of the Globe's real estate articles covers a few things recently discussed, builders holding units back and investors bailing on units they bought to rent out because of money trouble.

quote:

Investor selloff drags down resale price for Kelowna condo
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/vancouver/article-investor-selloff-drags-down-resale-price-for-kelowna-condo/
1181 Sunset Dr., No. 2407, Kelowna, B.C.

Asking price: $549,000 + GST (Dec. 18, 2022)

Selling price: $515,000 + GST (Feb. 17, 2023)

Days on market: 89

Monthly maintenance fee: $300

Listing agent: Richard Deacon, Engel & Volkers Okanagan

The 29-storey development, part of One Water Street in downtown Kelowna, was completed last summer. The developer had 15 remaining units to sell, and this 528-square-foot, one-bedroom, one bathroom unit in the West tower was the smallest and most affordable, says listing agent Richard Deacon.

“The developer put all the upgrades into it, so it had smart features – power blinds, speakers, some lighting controls – and a few extra finishes, such as stone counters,” Mr. Deacon said.

The developer had been using the unit, on the 24th floor, as an office space while marketing the building. It has views of the lake and mountains and comes with laundry, hardwood floors, balcony and two parking stalls. The building has two pools, a hot tub, fire pits, gym, yoga studio, pickleball court, pet-friendly park, guest suite and business centre.

There were about 20 showings, Mr. Deacon says. The Vancouver buyer purchased the unit for his son. The sale completes March 7.

Mr. Deacon still has another 14 units to sell, including a $12-million penthouse that isn’t completed yet. He said he’s doing an average of four or five showings a day for the 13 available units, so the demand is there.

Mr. Deacon said they were pleased with the price considering that there is GST on top of it. As well, he said other units are coming up for sale in the buildings because investors are unloading the units due to high interest rates.

The agent’s take

“There are a lot of investors that bought in this building, and they are seeing higher interest rates and a lot of people are listing. They might have taken possession in September and maybe they decided not to rent them, so they are selling them,” Mr. Deacon said.

“So we are up against people reselling them, and selling them for cheaper than they probably wanted to, because mortgage rates have gone up. So there are a number of listings in the buildings because of that.”

Before you get too excited about that article, here's another one about a North Van house selling well over asking.

quote:

Enticing closing date helps buyers overcome twelve other bids for North Vancouver bungalow
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/vancouver/article-enticing-closing-date-helps-buyers-overcome-twelve-other-bids-for/

1840 Larson Rd., North Vancouver, B.C.

Asking price: $1,449,000 (Feb. 15, 2023)

Selling price: $1.6 million (Feb. 22, 2023)

Days on market: 7

Taxes: $4,435.70 (2022)

Listing agent: Shelley Williams, Team 3000 Realty

This 2,900-sqaure-foot bungalow sits on a large 50- by 120-foot lot with a quiet back lane that looks onto a forest.

Built in 1958, the house has hardwood floors, a wood-burning fireplace, three bedrooms on the main floor, two bathrooms, and a large rear deck and garage.

The downstairs could easily be converted into a rental suite.

Part of an estate sale, the house sold at a time when inventory is extremely low. As well, few houses in such good condition come onto the market in North Vancouver, says the listing agent Shelley Williams.

She held a lot of private showings and two open houses, with about 37 groups going through. She received 12 offers, four of them without subjects. Most offers were over asking. The sellers didn’t choose the highest offer, but one with a more desirable closing date. The buyers are a family who plan on living in the house.

The agent’s take

Ms. Williams, who’s been in the business for 22 years, says the market is “definitely picking up” after an extremely quiet seven months.

“Multiple offers are back, because we have low inventory and massive numbers of buyers. It’s just not that easy to find a well-maintained older home, absolutely move-in ready for that price, so it was very attractive. But at the end of the day, the buyers were happy and the sellers were happy. You do feel badly for the families that don’t make [the winning bid], though.”

The sale completes on March 17.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
That's my take. There are so few people wanting to sell that inventory is rock bottom. So even if there aren't that many buyers it's still a big competition.

There's maybe a dozen active listing in the core-ish region of Ottawa for detached houses with 2+ bedrooms, there's nothing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

yeah new listings in February were at 20 year lows.

In other news, inflation is over, time to lower rates.

https://twitter.com/stephenfgordon/status/1638158686915837957?t=_PIya0bp4HjXt94Urp7QXw&s=19

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Femtosecond posted:

yeah new listings in February were at 20 year lows.

In other news, inflation is over, time to lower rates.

https://twitter.com/stephenfgordon/status/1638158686915837957?t=_PIya0bp4HjXt94Urp7QXw&s=19

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

Things seem increasingly very bad

Gotta say if you told me a decade ago that rent would be at $2500 I would have thought surely there will be some sign of unrest and politicians facing a backlash, not that the mayor would have sleepwalked to another term and politicians of all stripes all over shrugging and facing no real criticism.

It's boiling the frog. It only becomes a personal crisis when someone absolutely has to move out and find a new place. So 95% or more of the population can just ignore it at any given time.

It's like schools or daycare in the way. Both of those have been in a state of increasing crisis in places like inner Vancouver for 15+ years, with only the most minimal steps having been taken at the governmental level to address that.

Ceterum censeo delendos esse dominaedium.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 22, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Finally, maybe now I'll be able to convince my landlord to invest in those power blinds and stone countertops I've always wanted.

Next will be kitchen cabinets that can fit a regular sized plate without having to tilt it 45 degrees.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

rate cuts rate cuts rate cuts

https://twitter.com/MikePMoffatt/status/1638233489098022947?s=20

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Unless there's consistent upward value in the Canadian dollar versus the American dollar what happens if the interest rate gap between the US and Canadian central banks widens?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Femtosecond posted:

Things seem increasingly very bad

Gotta say if you told me a decade ago that rent would be at $2500 I would have thought surely there will be some sign of unrest and politicians facing a backlash, not that the mayor would have sleepwalked to another term and politicians of all stripes all over shrugging and facing no real criticism.

things aren't that bad yet

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

There's been no significant change to that yield curve from a week ago (when Silicon Valley Bank imploded), mortgage rates won't drop as quickly or as much as the overnight rate (hello, risk premium!), and the overnight rates we saw last summer are not coming back for another three years. Everybody with a fixed rate will be paying more at renewal for the next two years, still. None of that leads to the conclusion that number go back up.

Imagine thinking a yield-curve inversion is bullish for anything.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

T.C. posted:

Unless there's consistent upward value in the Canadian dollar versus the American dollar what happens if the interest rate gap between the US and Canadian central banks widens?

:cauliflower: :moon:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

T.C. posted:

It's really cool

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

There's no way the BoC is insane enough to drop rates so soon right?

Right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They're probably going to keep them as-is until inflation is back around 2%, unless it starts rising again.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The predictions I've been reading around rate cuts is "summer" and I suppose those predicting that are assuming several months of stagnation around 2% will give the BoC confidence to lower rates. If we've already been within the 2% zone for several months, maybe people are bullishly thinking June instead of August? I dunno.

https://twitter.com/trevortombe/status/1638193544220524546?s=20

But lets say the BoC cuts 25bp twice before September. 50 bp is nothing remarkable given the rapid acceleration we have experienced recently. It's "relief" but still a long way to go to where we once were and no certainty that BoC is going to be in any rush to get there.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2023

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

The predictions I've been reading around rate cuts is "summer" and I suppose those predicting that are assuming several months of stagnation around 2% will give the BoC confidence to lower rates. If we've already been within the 2% zone for several months, maybe people are bullishly thinking June instead of August? I dunno.

https://twitter.com/trevortombe/status/1638193544220524546?s=20

But lets say the BoC cuts 25bp twice before September. 50 bp is nothing remarkable given the rapid acceleration we have experienced recently. It's "relief" but still a long way to go to where we once were and no certainty that BoC is going to be in any rush to get there.

If they lower them once then they must be on a path to just keep lowering and lowering.:dance:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Why would anyone think that inflation coming in at target would mean we actually lower rates? I bet they stay just the same.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

qhat posted:

Why would anyone think that inflation coming in at target would mean we actually lower rates? I bet they stay just the same.

Wishful thinking.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Their target range is 1-3% with a 'true' target of 2%.

A moving average of 1.8%-ish or whatever is pretty exactly what they want so why would they change anything? Makes no sense.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Canada’s Population Grows by Over 1 Million for First Time
Annual expansion of 2.7% is fastest among advanced economies
Rush of newcomers strains housing market, health-care system

Canada’s population grew 2.7% in 2022, the fastest expansion among advanced economies and on par with many African nations.

The country added a record 1,050,110 people over a one-year period to Jan. 1, bringing the total population to 39,566,248, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday in Ottawa. International migration accounted for 95.9% of the growth — a testament to Canada’s decision to counter the economic drag of an aging populace by throwing its doors open to newcomers.

It marks the first time the northern nation grew by more than a million people in a year, while its industrial peers try different ways to address demographic challenges, including raising the retirement age. If this population growth rate is sustained, the statistics agency said Canada would double in size in about 26 years.

The record-setting expansion is the result of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plan to add about half a million new permanent residents annually. The government has consistently raised its immigration target to grow the workforce and boost economic output, but that also threatens to worsen shortages of housing and health-care workers.

Still, recent polling by Nanos Research Group for Bloomberg News shows 52% of respondents say Trudeau’s plan will have a positive impact on Canada’s economy. That compares with 38% who see the increase as a negative.

Doug Ford, premier of Canada’s most populous province, hailed the stream of new arrivals that brought Ontario’s population to 15.4 million. But he cautioned there is work to be done to accommodate them.

“Stats Canada comes out and they said last year 450,000 people landed here in Ontario, calling this home,” Ford told reporters in the Toronto suburb of Oakville after the data was released. “That’s why we need the schools, hospitals and bridges, the infrastructure — and we especially need homes.”

While there is broad public support for the open-door policy, rapid population growth in urban centers has sent rents soaring and forced many people to leave major cities to search for affordable housing elsewhere.

Increasing immigration not only adds to to the labor supply and fills some shortages, it also boosts demand and consumption during a period of low growth because newcomers need basic necessities from housing and food to banking and mobile phones.

Rapid population growth has already given a boost to telecommunications companies. The big three domestic players — Rogers Communications Inc., BCE Inc. and Telus Corp — reported net gains of more than 400,000 new mobile subscribers combined in the fourth quarter alone.

The increase in demand may be part of the reason why Canada’s economy is proving more resilient than expected, with jobs continuing to be added and consumer spending still holding up in the face of the highest interest rates in 15 years. Home prices are also expected to rebound quickly next year as key cities keep seeing a large influx of new population.

Are we going to continue on asleep at the wheel as apartment vacancy sinks lower and lower? What the gently caress is the plan here?

You'd think that given that we're absolutely shattering 1970s era growth our housing development would be somewhere above 1970s era norms, but lol, lmao not even loving close.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/04/22/Why-Cant-We-Build-Like-1970s/

I really haven't seen any remarkable recent uptick in building or even approvals to even start to acknowledge the amount of people that have been arriving. Things are going to be hosed for decades.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
This might be the most goofy NIMBY boomer poo poo I’ve ever read

quote:

Langford, who designed and built his home on Hamilton with his wife and father-in-law in 1956, is upset with the prospect of smoke from Friday and Saturday night “pot parties” in the play area adjacent to his house wafting into his home.

With a limited play area, Langford said children will play on the townhouse rooftop terraces, adding they are likely to kick balls off the terraces, which could damage cars and even reach Davis, causing injury or even death to motorists.

“Then just watch for all the liability claims that would result from this preventable carnage,” he told The Era.

“I can just imagine, as I sit on my front veranda, the sound of screeching brakes and the crashing of metal, followed by sirens as these baseballs, soccer balls or whatever manage to find their way from the terraces to the unsuspecting windshields of passing motorists.”

My favourite part is the idea that people will absolutely ruin his life partying but never on work/school nights for some reason??? :allears:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Parks and Recreation was a documentary,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Cold on a Cob posted:

This might be the most goofy NIMBY boomer poo poo I’ve ever read

My favourite part is the idea that people will absolutely ruin his life partying but never on work/school nights for some reason??? :allears:

I do enjoy how the newspaper clearly hates this guy with their disdainful treatment of his quotes, but still, just don't print his nonsense guys.

quote:

Resident Glen Langford, who said he’s shocked councillors agreed to the project, said he and his neighbours are upset the development will see the existing single-family homes worth about $2 million each and housing about 16 residents replaced with higher density housing for more than 100 people.

“These are custom-built houses occupied by individual families, not a big, huge pile of people in one area,” he told a committee meeting March 6.

Langford, who designed and built his home on Hamilton with his wife and father-in-law in 1956, is upset with the prospect of smoke from Friday and Saturday night “pot parties” in the play area adjacent to his house wafting into his home.

Dude built a nice house for peanuts almost 70 years ago when he was probably something like 22 years old and now just can't contemplate having to be near the poors who didn't have the foresight to be born before WW2.
You cannot get more FYGM than this.