Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ml publication always looks like that tho

the fuckery is literally not publishing any replication anything. so the science is at a complete end and they shouldnt prolly be accepted to any conferences anymore

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Finding out bings AI search was powdered by GPT4 all along kinda took some of the wind out its sails. Because that outputs some complete bollocks a lot of the time, but hey maybe that's the bing search aspect.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://twitter.com/searyanc/status/1631910395790397441?s=46&t=u3LR81pxYzFCpB45tNQ7Jg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gary marcus (different gary) is getting serious fuckin shade from geoff hinton on the connectionists mailing list, if youre not on it

this guy got a turing award for backprop and like 20.other things posted:

A clever deflection. But can you please say if you think learning disabled people understand some things even though they do not understand others. This should be an area in which you actually have some relevant expertise.

Geoff

dry but vicious!

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
It didn't take too long for the shine to wear off ChatGPT's stock responses but if I can say one thing it sure types a lot faster than me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
really, for some reason that mailing list has picked up incredible amounts of Posting Energy in the last two or three years. maybe its from schmidhubers influence or something

downout
Jul 6, 2009

All of this AI is really nice and could lead to some incredible things. But at the end of the day I expect there will still need to be technical people that are proficient using them and work for companies that are trying to leverage them.

If anything, I'd expect some engineers to integrate AI tools into how they work and potentially make big strides surpassing others; it could even be something where young engineers make the biggest strides because the rest of us are old and stuck in our ways.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jose Valasquez posted:

Designing Data-Intensive Applications is my go to recommendation for system design interview prep. It's a great book, but not really a way to practice though.

http://highscalability.com is another good resource, it has a section of real life designs, so you can do something like pretend the question is "design instagram" and see how close you get to their example. Ironically the site can be very slow at times.

I haven't used it, but I've also seen this recommended https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer
Ultimately system design interviews are going to be more about the back and forth conversation to uncover requirements and address them, so it's hard to practice them in the same way you can grind out leetcode

Yeah DDIA is great but it's much more of a reference textbook than a study guide. For interview cramming https://bookshop.org/p/books/system-design-interview-an-insider-s-guide-alex-xu/14891648 has gotten great reviews.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This is good read if you are scared for your job due to GPT-4: https://twitter.com/cHHillee/status/1635790330854526981

Basically it smashes through old problems because its data contains the solutions. It crashes and fails on newer problems, because its data do not contain the solutions. So if your job is primarily doing the same old thing we've done and documented over and over, you have an issue. If you are doing new stuff, less so.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ml publication always looks like that tho

the fuckery is literally not publishing any replication anything. so the science is at a complete end and they shouldnt prolly be accepted to any conferences anymore

Yeah we are now down to "We used lot of data. It was good. Trust us on that", which is not really science in any way or form.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Xarn posted:

So if your job is primarily doing the same old thing we've done and documented over and over, you have an issue.

Isn't that like 99% of software development jobs?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's funny because I've been using ChatGPT to come up with different ideas (ie standard libraries I haven't used) when some of our folks say "Haven't done it/can't do it"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

speaking of contaminated data sets

https://twitter.com/ravenben/status/1636131323847868418?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hadn't seen that and I don't know if there is an lmao big enough

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I can't be bothered to find the gif of expanding :ironicat: so please pretend I posted it here.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Apparently it's the front end, they are open sourcing it.

Does tickle me AI people getting uppity about someone taking work and not applying the correct license.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

based

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

The Fool posted:

speaking of contaminated data sets
sounds like a fun research project but absolutely insane as a tool for people to use

hey artist, before posting pass every single one of your artworks through this magic box that will confuse computers for three or four months

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the artists fuckin want it and they want it bad, gotta give em something

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sivart13 posted:

hey artist, before posting pass every single one of your artworks through this magic box that will confuse computers for three or four months

So, basically like any other anti-piracy measure then. The goal isn't to stop the AIs indefinitely, just to slow them down enough that you can still benefit from your work, however briefly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Hey now, ProGuard is an invaluable part of any Android toolchain.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What would be a good standard (for HR) answer to "Why do you want to leave your current company?" when the truthful answer would be: "for more money"? Obviously the truth is not acceptable. In the past I went with "I want to work with <this> new tech, looking for new challenges", stuff like that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think I've seen something like this in the forums (itt or someplace else), but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's fine to say you want more money, you just might need to phrase it diplomatically. Remember, you're worth the amount you're asking for - the reason you're leaving your previous employer is because they're not willing/able to pay you what you're worth.

Are you desperate for any job at all, but getting paid more would be a nice-to-have? Or is getting paid more a hard requirement for you to make the jump? If you're in the latter situation, you don't need to worry about companies who can't afford to pay you more rejecting you out-of-hand - in fact, it's a good thing if they do, because you wouldn't have taken that job anyway and now you don't need to waste time on the interview loop with them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Usually I say I capped out the career growth at my current company and I'm looking for a position that isn't attainable without changing jobs.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've never worked for the high paying places, but I'd think you want to express that you want money (it's true and fair), it won't become a bidding war (they will only bother entering a bidding war if they really really want you), and you're not just looking for the most money/least effort (if they think this it would reduce what they think you're worth).
"I've enjoyed working at my current company, there are neat things to work on, but I think my compensation has fallen behind and I've tried to fix it there but it hasn't really worked out" is an answer that shouldn't turn anyone off.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jabor posted:

It's fine to say you want more money, you just might need to phrase it diplomatically. Remember, you're worth the amount you're asking for - the reason you're leaving your previous employer is because they're not willing/able to pay you what you're worth.

Are you desperate for any job at all, but getting paid more would be a nice-to-have? Or is getting paid more a hard requirement for you to make the jump? If you're in the latter situation, you don't need to worry about companies who can't afford to pay you more rejecting you out-of-hand - in fact, it's a good thing if they do, because you wouldn't have taken that job anyway and now you don't need to waste time on the interview loop with them.

Not desperate at all. Just looking, very casually, and interviewing every now and then. Getting paid significantly more is a hard requirement to jump. Kinda the only requirement (I'd hate to do front-end javascript after so many years of c++, but if they'd pay me gently caress you money, i'd bear with it).

Ensign Expendable posted:

Usually I say I capped out the career growth at my current company and I'm looking for a position that isn't attainable without changing jobs.

Hmm, not a bad idea. Thanks.

StumblyWumbly posted:

"I've enjoyed working at my current company, there are neat things to work on, but I think my compensation has fallen behind and I've tried to fix it there but it hasn't really worked out" is an answer that shouldn't turn anyone off.

That's an interesting take as well.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 20, 2023

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just say you like the culture, it will flatter the hr person

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Do you usually have meetings with your lead when your project with an estimated 3 month timeline slips 2 or 3 days to figure out how to get it back on track?

I was super tired for a few days and worked pretty slowly. There's no "blocker" or work that suddenly needs to be parallelized or need for me to get some expert to explain how the system works to speed things up. It doesn't really make sense to me.

It's the same for individual sprint estimates. You say you're finishing early and that's fine. You say not everything is gonna get done this sprint and suddenly it's meetings on how to get you back on track. You're gonna over or underestimate the task length almost 100% of the time so about half the time you're gonna be off. I've never had these meetings about why something isn't done yet and how to get it "back on track" in 8 years till I got on this team so it seems a little unusual.

It feels demoralizing though.

I get normal perf ratings but I constantly feel like I'm on the verge of losing my job. I find it so stressful.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 20, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

oliveoil posted:

Do you usually have meetings with your lead when your project with an estimated 3 month timeline slips 2 or 3 days to figure out how to get it back on track?

I was super tired for a few days and worked pretty slowly. There's no "blocker" or work that suddenly needs to be parallelized or need for me to get some expert to explain how the system works to speed things up. It doesn't really make sense to me.

It's the same for individual sprint estimates. You say you're finishing early and that's fine. You say not everything is gonna get done this sprint and suddenly it's meetings on how to get you back on track. You're gonna over or underestimate the task length almost 100% of the time so about half the time you're gonna be off. I've never had these meetings about why something isn't done yet and how to get it "back on track" in 8 years till I got on this team so it seems a little unusual.

It feels demoralizing though.

That team apparently values commitments. Iterate on your estimation skills, evaluating why your estimates failed. Don't commit to more than you're confident you'll hit.

Treat it as "that much or more" not "hopefully this much"

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
My estimate failed because I was unexpectedly weirdly tired for a week and got about half as much done as I expected.

I'll try to commit to less though.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

oliveoil posted:

My estimate failed because I was unexpectedly weirdly tired for a week and got about half as much done as I expected.

I'll try to commit to less though.

Can you just leave it as “I was sick and I worked through it. As such I wasn’t able to do as much as I had planned.”

I always over estimate since things come up. Kids get sick. You get sick. Something in the house breaks. You get depressed. Unexpected dentist appointment, etc.

If you find yourself getting weirdly tired again maybe go see a doctor, too.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Am I crazy for thinking that for a 3 month project the idea that you can measure whether you’re on track with 2-3 day precision is absurd unless you’re at the end of the project? I guess OP didn’t mention how far along the project is

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Steve French posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that for a 3 month project the idea that you can measure whether you’re on track with 2-3 day precision is absurd unless you’re at the end of the project? I guess OP didn’t mention how far along the project is

this was my thought as well.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
There's like 3 months left, 5 months total.

George Wright posted:

If you find yourself getting weirdly tired again maybe go see a doctor, too.

I've done that many times since my my mid twenties. They run tests, don't see anything and tell me I'm young and healthy and everyone starts getting tired when they get older.

It's an obvious contradiction to tell me both that I'm young so I shouldn't worry and also that I should accept being tired because I'm older but that's always how it goes.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 20, 2023

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Without having your lead's side, there's not enough context here to say. It could be that they're just neurotic about estimates and think that this is how agile is supposed to work; or it could be that you're a chronic underperformer and just weren't called out on it until this team because that's how most of G's culture is.

Do you have a sense of how much you get done compared to the rest of your team? Have you ever gotten feedback before around velocity?

Your manager (or their manager) is the person to ask about this. A lot of managers are shy about giving critical feedback, and a lot of ICs are oblivious about hearing it, so "we think you're a slacker and are planning to fire you" might sound like "there have been some concerns around your velocity on this project in the past". If you're not sure, be explicit: "is my current level of performance enough to keep working here indefinitely, or will I get fired if I don't improve?" If it's clear that your manager doesn't think you're the problem, then you can talk about ways the lead can manage the project without stressing everyone out.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Edly posted:

Do you have a sense of how much you get done compared to the rest of your team? Have you ever gotten feedback before around velocity?

Yeah, I do feel like other people churn out code much faster than me. I've only been able to match the volume I've seen from others by taking Adderall. I also got feedback from my manager on velocity when I first joined this team as well, when I was under this same TL.

To be frank I've always wondered if there's something wrong with me since I pretty commonly find myself tired seemingly at random and repeatedly forgetting what I read immediately after reading it, forgetting what a section of code or a function does immediately after reading it while I try to understand how it fits into another part of the codebase, etc.

Like supposedly normal people can keep 3-7 things in mind at once, but I randomly end up being at 0-2 things in mind at once. And I spend a lot of my time at 0 or 1 where I just repeatedly forget what I'm reading or doing while I'm still doing it and have to start over or at 1 where I forget what I was just reading or doing as soon as I have to do one other small task or read one other small thing.

I've never found a doctor who would take it seriously though so I don't know if I'm just imagining it. I do feel like it's rare that I can just sit down and code at the same level as my peers though.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 20, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Have you ruled out ADHD?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Supposedly I do have ADHD. I'll ask my psych again though. Maybe I've been going to the wrong kinds of doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Yeah, I do feel like other people churn out code much faster than me. I've only been able to match the volume I've seen from others by taking Adderall. I also got feedback from my manager on velocity when I first joined this team as well, when I was under this same TL.

To be frank I've always wondered if there's something wrong with me since I pretty commonly find myself tired seemingly at random and repeatedly forgetting what I read immediately after reading it, forgetting what a section of code or a function does immediately after reading it while I try to understand how it fits into another part of the codebase, etc.

Like supposedly normal people can keep 3-7 things in mind at once, but I randomly end up being at 0-2 things in mind at once. And I spend a lot of my time at 0 or 1 where I just repeatedly forget what I'm reading or doing while I'm still doing it and have to start over or at 1 where I forget what I was just reading or doing as soon as I have to do one other small task or read one other small thing.

I've never found a doctor who would take it seriously though so I don't know if I'm just imagining it. I do feel like it's rare that I can just sit down and code at the same level as my peers though.

I'm sorry to hear that, and no judgment here btw; I've been on both sides of the table. I was fortunate to get to work on a team that let me skate by for years while I figured my poo poo out.

The medical stuff is way beyond my expertise, but I hope you get some answers, or figure out a work environment that works for you. If you have a diagnosis you may be able to approach things from that angle; I believe using the magic words "medical accommodation" will trigger a whole HR process, and you might be able to get more flexibility around work hours or something.