Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Doronin posted:

Looks like I'll get to stay at the new DVC rooms at the Grand in October before we board our cruise. I was really hoping for the Poly, but oh well.

Does anyone know when Not So Scary dates/tickets will be available?

Last year tickets went on sale May 12th for hotel guests and May 18th for the general public. They usually announce in late April when tickets go on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Thank you! I'll set a reminder to be on the lookout in May. Hopefully there is actually a party scheduled for while we're there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They should, in October MNSSHP runs at least 4 nights a week, usually Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays. The last 2 weeks closer to halloween it could be more, and of course whatever day halloween falls on. That day sells out quick though and is the most expensive. It'll probably be 200 bucks this year.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Is Beverly still missing from club cool?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

BlueBayou posted:

Is Beverly still missing from club cool?

It was there a few months ago.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
What's the best way to get from MCO to Bay Lake Towers? Mears Connect/Sunshine Flyer/rideshare? Just two people but we'll both have checked bags which will take up some space.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Disappointing Pie posted:

It was there a few months ago.

I had some just a few weeks ago, they must have been out for a bit.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

effervescible posted:

What's the best way to get from MCO to Bay Lake Towers? Mears Connect/Sunshine Flyer/rideshare? Just two people but we'll both have checked bags which will take up some space.

The easiest and quickest way is rideshare. Cheaper is one of the bus services.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Talked about it with my travel companion (we're meeting the rest of the group there) and we'll get a rideshare. Split between us, it should still be cheaper or on par with the busses, and more convenient. Thanks!

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

effervescible posted:

Best is hire a car though Mears or similar. It’s expensive though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm just gonna say that every experience with rideshare we've had in Orlando has been a near death experience. Half the time they can't even get into the resort we are at.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Never, ever support actual taxi services. gently caress 'em.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

BDawg posted:

Best is hire a car though Mears or similar. It’s expensive though.

I'd agree. I've booked them when both kids needed car seats, and while expensive (like 90 plus tip each way) it was amazing. They have a special pick up area, it's way less frantic, and the drivers have all been great.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

alg posted:

I'm just gonna say that every experience with rideshare we've had in Orlando has been a near death experience.

That's just what driving in Orlando is like all the time.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

skipdogg posted:

They should, in October MNSSHP runs at least 4 nights a week, usually Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays. The last 2 weeks closer to halloween it could be more, and of course whatever day halloween falls on. That day sells out quick though and is the most expensive. It'll probably be 200 bucks this year.

jesus gently caress... $200 per ticket is the expected price point? Wow. The last time I went I think we paid right around $100-ish per person. Thanks for the heads up! If it ends up being that much we may just opt for a day at EPCOT instead.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Doronin posted:

jesus gently caress... $200 per ticket is the expected price point? Wow. The last time I went I think we paid right around $100-ish per person. Thanks for the heads up! If it ends up being that much we may just opt for a day at EPCOT instead.

The cheapest dates are in August/Sept and they get more expensive the closer to Halloween it gets. Halloween night is the most expensive which was 199 last year if I recall. Earlier dates could be as "low" as 119.

I haven't been to MNSSHP since October 2018, and I think we paid 100 bucks, possibly less for the ticket after our DVC discount. Last years pricing was 119 to 199 depending on date.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anywhere near a single day MK ticket price is fair IMO because you can get in at like 4pm and stay till midnight or whwatever and you can do all the Halloween stuff and 90% of attractions with much lower like a than usual.

$200 is a pass though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

We went to one of the lowest-priced MNSSHP days last year on the day we arrived in Orlando and had a blast. Rolled in around 5pm, did the photo ops, some light trick-or-treating, and rode everything we wanted to ride (we rode Peter Pan 3-4 times in a row in less than an hour). Dining is a little bit harder since a bunch of stuff is closed but that was more a function of getting a 5 year old at a Disney Halloween party to slow down long enough to eat something than it was anything else.

I can't imagine tacking it on top of a park ticket, but as a standalone thing it was probably the best time I've had at MK.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We almost never have a park ticket day of a MNSSHP when we go. That's a perfect day to either do a water park or Springs.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Least crowds are the first couple of weeks, except not the first dates due to media / bloggers etc. Usually those weekday tickets vs the weekends.

Pricing in general for event tickets is up $20-40 a night since resumption.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Never go Halloween night if you can manage it, but it's still worth going to. The Xmas party on the other hand....

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Christmas party is underwhelming as gently caress, debate me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Christmas party is fine. But absolutely no reason to pick it over Halloween, worse in every way (except weather if you get lucky).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have mixed feelings about MNSSHP, and the christmas hard ticket events. There's lots of exclusive character meets, parades, snacks, etc during these events, so it's tough for me to find a balance between using the ticket as a chance to ride a bunch of rides with low crowd levels, versus experiencing some of the unique/exclusive stuff you can only do at the event. I think I spent 45 minutes in line to get a picture with Stitch in his Elvis costume (which he only wears during MNSSHP I think), but that was 45 minutes of waiting when I could have been riding rides. It was worth it though as I love Elvis Stitch. I think now I've been to WDW 6 or 7 times I would take more time to do the unique stuff than just focus on the rides I guess. When you're paying so much for the ticket there's always this stress to feel like you're maximizing the time you have, and waiting in line for an hour to see Jack and Sally or camping out for the parade seems like such a waste sometimes.

Back in 2018 we did do the Disney After Hours hard ticket events, and those were worth the price at the time for sure. (Except for Animal Kingdom though). I would probably buy those again. I'm not sure if I would do another party ticket. I guess you have options though. If you want to use the party as a chance to ride as much as possible, that works. If you want to see the parade, stage show, and meet characters that works as well.

The pricing on the hard ticket events has gone up so much the last few years though its nuts. We paid 94 dollars back in 2018 for an early October date back then, and I think there was a DVC "extra" where you could get in the park at 2pm that day instead of 4pm. 2022 it would be 159 or 179 for the same ticket. Well I mean everything at WDW has gone up so much. The cost of our first trip in 2015 and the same trip today is probably double.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

Christmas party is fine. But absolutely no reason to pick it over Halloween, worse in every way (except weather if you get lucky).

We did the Very Merry party in 2021, and Not-So-Scary in 2022. Would 100% choose Halloween over Christmas Again.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

We did the Very Merry party in 2021, and Not-So-Scary in 2022. Would 100% choose Halloween over Christmas Again.

I did Very Merry last year. I also did it in 2016. I will not be doing it again.

I'll go to the halloween party literally any year any time my service dog can deal with the heat.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I've lived in Chicago for 4 years, Boston for 5 and spent enough time in New York on business to total up a few months. My worst taxi experience I've ever had was MCO to Bonnet Creek. After waiting an hour in line the driver initially tried to kick me out as the destination wasn't worth it to him (before the frankly very polite and lovely airport taxi line guy took my side) and then only took me shared another couple traveling. Who he lied to and said we were going to the same place. He then drove like a loving maniac to the point where the other couple asked him to chill, he then sped up. Then the card machine was "broken". I don't especially like taking rideshare/Uber over a regular cab but I'll never do a regular taxi again in Orlando.

Obviously your mileage may vary but it's one of the very few times where I've actively felt unsafe on transport.

In happier news; fairly sure I'm going to get out to MK at some point in the next few weeks to ride Tron. I am very excited as a huge Tron nerd.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The problem with taxis at airports is that the driver has likely been waiting their turn for ages and they get pissed when the fare does not compensate them for what they feel their time is worth. This is true pretty much wherever you go, and in no way is it your problem.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I take cabs in NYC and basically nowhere else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Coasterphreak posted:

The problem with taxis at airports is that the driver has likely been waiting their turn for ages and they get pissed when the fare does not compensate them for what they feel their time is worth. This is true pretty much wherever you go, and in no way is it your problem.
They used to pull this poo poo at Dublin airport all the time, even though there was a system where if they were back in the queue within 30 minutes of leaving they got to skip ahead. Occasionally they'd try gently caress around with us when we were going to the in-laws places, because they are just 10 minutes away. What they didn't know is my mother-in-law used to handle the separate licencing that Dublin airport did for taxis, so we'd just note the badge number and hand it over when we got in the door.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That’s actually a pretty fair system.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was just some form of residual grudge about the old system that they carried over for long after it was relevant. They've had to implement another one since then because of the amount of taxi drivers who would flat out lie to get out of taking a fare.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I've never taken a direct cab ride in Orlando before, I've only ever done rideshare BUT my first year working at Disney, I was asked to deploy to the parking lot for "support" and one of the daily jobs I'd often have to do (and usually get stuck doing for 8 hours) was stand in what used to be the old Lost and Found building's parking lot and tell people that it was not guest drop off and that guest drop off was the next turn in. At the time Disney didn't like Rideshare services, so they were forced to pay full parking price to drop off (which I agree is insane, but it wasn't my job to park them) and boy did I get the angriest cab drivers you've ever met. One spat at, another attempted to run over my feet, and then one just let his family off in the middle of the road and forced them them to walk on the side of the road that goes over the tram line at the TTC. All three of those got trespassed because my supervisor there was like "gimme them licence plates, we don't play here in parking"

I don't miss doing that job since it was primarly just roasting in the hot sun, waiting for my shift to be over, but goddamn that was interesting.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

skipdogg posted:

The cheapest dates are in August/Sept and they get more expensive the closer to Halloween it gets. Halloween night is the most expensive which was 199 last year if I recall. Earlier dates could be as "low" as 119.

I haven't been to MNSSHP since October 2018, and I think we paid 100 bucks, possibly less for the ticket after our DVC discount. Last years pricing was 119 to 199 depending on date.

I think 2016 or 17 was the last time we went. With the DVC rate I think we paid like $85-$90 per ticket. Which seemed great since we skipped meet and greets and rode everything twice. Plus the parade was awesome. We also always targeted September for the slightly less expensive ticket.

We always love MNSSHP but I can't justify $600 for tickets (just the 3 of us) right before we board a cruise ship.

couldcareless posted:

Christmas party is underwhelming as gently caress, debate me.

There is nothing to debate here. That's just a fact.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Hey Disney Travel Thread! I'm going to Disney World for the first time in...about 16 years (the last time I went, my oldest nephew was a fat little baby and now he's almost going to graduate high school, and I'm basically sprouting crows' feet as I think about it) with my extended family.

I'm doing Magic Kingdom a week from today, Animal Kingdom next Monday, and Hollywood Studios (which I still have to stop calling MGM) next Tuesday. We're eating someplace in Animal Kingdom (not Tiffin's, but I can't remember the name of the place for the life of me), and I basically just want to enjoy the parks and go on a bunch of rides and see enough stuff that has popped up in these 16ish years without worrying too much if I don't want to wait on a line for 2 hours..

That said, I have no idea how things have changed in terms of guaranteeing the ability to get on the few things I really want to see; my disabled brother used to be a surefire way of getting to the front of the line of any ride (and one time we got to go to a cool waiting room for Space Mountain when FedEx sponsored it, since my dad worked for them), and I think Fastpass is LONG gone.

I really just want to maximize my chance of getting on the two big Star Wars Land rides; I missed going on a stag weekend to Disneyland last August when I caught COVID for the only time I've had it, and that's kinda eaten at me that I missed such a fun time, and so I'd really love any input on how to make sure I get on those rides. I'm absolutely ready to get there at opening!

(I'm gonna try to take in as much of Galaxy's Edge as possible, except for spending $250 on a lightsaber I can't even fight my nephew with).

99 CENTS AMIGO fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 20, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tusker House or Yak and Yeti are the other 2 restaurants at AK that take reservations.

The new fast pass system is called Genie+. The base price is technically $15/person/day but it's never that low anymore and can get to about $25 on busy days. It's of limited use at DHS and AK. It can be pretty solid at MK though. But you can't use it for Rise of the Resistance.

Rise has Individual Lightning Lane access, which means you pay $15 (each) to get a return time for it. However, ILL availability opens to Disney hotel guests at 7am while regular visitors have to wait for park opening, and next week is some prime spring break time so if you're not at a Disney hotel I wouldn't count on getting one. Silver lining, it's a pretty cool queue.

Smugglers Run (the Falcon) has a single rider line that goes very fast, you're just going to get the Engineer chair 9 times out of 10 that way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Are you staying at a WDW resort?

The only guarantee is going to involve paying for genie plus, and individual lightning lanes

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
We're staying at a timeshare resort my dad has a points program with - Silver Lake, which is like 5-10 minutes from the parks, so unfortunately I won't be able to use any resort benefit. I don't think we've ever had the money to do the resorts, and I'm amazed we went twice as kids with how cheap my parents were! Between the flight insurance for that missed COVID flight last year and the points, and me working a bunch of extra hours, the trip's not hitting me too badly beyond the park tickets and how much I want to spoil myself when I get there.

The AK restaurant is Tusker House! My brother made the reservation - I've only ever eaten at Epcot restaurants and food stands, so it'll be neat to see another themed restaurant.

I guess it looks like I'll be on a long line for the Star Wars stuff (me, my brother, his wife and their two toddlers are staying a bit longer than my sister's huge family, so I may be more solo in a lot of Galaxy's Edge). Maybe that'll work out for me!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You may as well take a shot at the Rise ILL anyway. You can try once the park opens for the day (8:30 next week) and don’t have to actually be in yet, just have a park pass for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
A lot of this might not apply next week since it's Spring Break, so expect there to be a lot of teenagers/college students who don't care about fireworks, buuuuut....

Usually you can get on at least a few rides late at night during/after the fireworks as people are shuffling out of the parks. This mostly applies to Magic Kingdom, but you might get lucky during/after Rivers of Light at AK and Fantasmic at DHS. Again, Spring Break might throw a wrench in this.

I'd still give Genie+ and ILLs a shot. Those same Spring Break teens probably won't be using those services as much as older guests might.