Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I honestly enjoyed SO3 for what it was, I still don't get the hate for the endgame twist. The only gripe I had about the game was how hard it was to get the boost gauge built up and making use of it before something tapped my shoulder and shattered the bloody thing.
That and maxing out the area maps for the bunny rewards.

As for the difficulty spike some talk about, by the time I had reached it I had unlocked Orichalcum and Moon Crystals in Crafting (That version of Welch was the best) so I spent time super buffing most characters weapons. That two-part fight against the Marquis? Literally one-shot him both rounds, got all the boss trophies available for him. Mind you I had brute forced the stat boosts, I hadn't figured out the various ways to super-break the game over my knee like some people had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Same. The only reason it isn't my favorite is that I love pearing into peaches too much.

I deserve this.

Better be careful.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rabidredneck posted:

I honestly enjoyed SO3 for what it was, I still don't get the hate for the endgame twist.

Oh, that was SO3? I thought it was SO4 that pulled that twist.

Well, now I have no idea why people would hate it except for half the cast.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of SO3 chat, does this game do the same stupid thing where your characters will croak if their MP goes to zero? That was annoying enough on it's own, but coupled with the bad team mate AI, and people would literally kill themselves in random encounters using magic attacks just to kill small fry enemies.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

Speaking of SO3 chat, does this game do the same stupid thing where your characters will croak if their MP goes to zero? That was annoying enough on it's own, but coupled with the bad team mate AI, and people would literally kill themselves in random encounters using magic attacks just to kill small fry enemies.

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

Yeah, they've definitely gotten rid of that mechanic for this game. It's also generally a lot harder for your characters to plum run out of MP, or at least I only sometimes noticed it during boss fights. Certainly not random encounters.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I don't really get the hate for SO3 either.
It's no SO2, but it's still a good game. MP death was annoying at first, but when you learned the system it was basically more like you just had two HP bars, both of which were used for special moves as well.
(Also MP death applied to enemies as well.)

I feel like they should have called them something else other than HP and MP, though.

Oh and the newest game was quite fun. Wish it was better optimized on PC, though.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Welch's character in so4 sucks rear end; it is also one of the only times a game has come up with an explanation for that character that does not, itself, make the character exponentially worse

the extradimensional MMO player is being an rear end in a top hat to the NPCs because she thinks it's funny. she is not as funny as she thinks she is. the writers writing her are also not as funny as they think they are, and the character could have been cut at no cost to anything, but at least some of what you are supposed to think in response to her is 'why is this person acting like an rear end in a top hat'

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Shitenshi posted:

What? No, the AI was specifically programmed to not do that. Now, if they were low on MP and an enemy used a MP damaging attack? THAT would be what killed them. I can think of two dungeons off hand where enemies with MP damaging attacks would be an issue.

Cyflan posted:

I don't really get the hate for SO3 either.
It's no SO2, but it's still a good game. MP death was annoying at first, but when you learned the system it was basically more like you just had two HP bars, both of which were used for special moves as well.
(Also MP death applied to enemies as well.)

I feel like they should have called them something else other than HP and MP, though.
^^^^^^^

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

What? No, the AI was specifically programmed to not do that. Now, if they were low on MP and an enemy used a MP damaging attack? THAT would be what killed them. I can think of two dungeons off hand where enemies with MP damaging attacks would be an issue.

I can remember at the cave dungeon right after you recruit Nel, she was constantly killed because she kept on using one of her spells without any regard for her life. I couldn't believe it at first, had to look at it again, but Cliff was alive flinging around Sphere of Might no problem while she was using all her fancy magic attacks and down for the count. The AI is that bad, and the stupid decisions it makes in battle isn't restricted to the problems of MP Death. It's true that later on the AI eventually gets better around the halfway point of Disc One because of some leveling mechanic for it, but gently caress me if that isn't too long. It's a problem that shouldn't be there to start with.

Also, actually using MP draining attacks on your own seemed like a game mechanic that wasn't very intuitive on it's own, almost kind of like the level of detail you had to do to play FFVIII with just physical attacks and magic without constantly resorting to GF spam. It's been almost twenty years since I played SO3 so hey, maybe my memory is hazy, but yeah, there was some weird stuff there.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 8 - Rock Breaks, Lizards Die

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10. Still no star calendar.

We found out from Lutea we need to find the source of the disease to make a cure, then Ghimdo told us another ship showed up around the time the disease became a thing. So we're gonna check it out in hopes it's the source.

We theorized it might be the Aquila, and if so, man, Crowe sure hosed up, creating an evil stone disease."

Our first obstacle on the way to the Rinoa Mountains is this ice lake. You can't dash on it, so you have to walk across nice and slow.

There's a brief window where we have to melt these massive snowbergs to reach the ship. This is another activity that earns us EXP and SP.

These Saber-Toothed Tigers are the first new enemy we encounter. Frankly, they look more liked Saber-Toothed Squirrels to me. They're not hard to beat.

Then we have Harpyias. Much more annoying to fight, having more HP and a lot of attacks that will interrupt you. They cast spells from a distance and can be awkward to hit due to their flight.

Eventually we find ourselves atop the ship. Even from out here, we can tell it's not the Aquila.

Now Playing - Nascent Pulse

That glinting thingy indicates a puzzle item we need to proceed. There's more than one scattered around the ship.

"What's that, 'kay?"

"This is plastic explosive, Lym. Let us teach you how to use it!"

"First, you need to place and shape it in a way that will achieve the explosion you want. Then you need something to act as a detonator..."

"Huh? Edge, what are you doing?"

"Using the Fire Ring to activate the explosive."

"You idiot, that's not how plastic explosives work!"

"I-wha-bu-HOW!?"

"Don't ask me. What matters is it worked."

"And that it went boom!"

"Here's another lesson for you, Lym. Leave the explosives next to exposed wiring, and it will detonate without the need for something like the Fire Ring!"

"Edge, that's incredibly dangerous! Don't teach Lym irresponsible methods of handling explosives!"

In terms of unique enemies on the ship, we have Lizard Commanders (the darker one furthest to the right). Aside from being tougher than other Lizards, they buff their entire team before the match even starts.

Dragon Newts will also be found here as regular enemies. Less HP, but all the same tricks.

Eventually, we'll find our way to a room with a purple exclamation mark in it.

Click here to find out whose ship this is, and what happened to the crew.

Edge speaking.

"What could have happened here?"

"Well, at least it wasn't the Aquila..."

"Download...complete."

"You don't look so good."

"Did you eat something funny? You shouldn't eat stuff off the ground, 'kay?"

"They're Cardianon. They're the crew of this ship. Inhabitants of the eighth planet of the Arcturus system. Cardianon. Aliens, if you will."

Arcturus is a real star. Much bigger than our sun.

"That must be...the bridge?"

"...Here we go."

That's the reddish one from earlier, now transformed into a Dragon Newt.

Everyone gives a dramatic reaction shot.

"I see..."

"What's it mean?"

"What...what happened...?"

"Exactly what you saw. The Cardianon mutated into those lizard creatures and tore each other apart...Now they're rampaging all over this planet..."

"So it seems. This is a grave situation..."

"What are we going to do, Edge?"

"Heh."

"We're going to find the source of the disease. That's what we came here for, isn't it?"

:hai:

"Yeah. Then it's settled. Let's keep on moving, people!"

Said door is right behind us, locked so we don't miss this cutscene.

An alarm sounds once we get through the door.

Now Playing - Chain of Explosions

We fight three battles back to back. Most are against garbage tier Lizardmen, but the Dragon Newt might give you a bit of trouble.

We find ourselves on the bridge from the recording after taking a lift up. Funny, since Faize said it was destroyed. Maybe he just meant functionally?

Anyway, our boss encounter for the day awaits in a chamber behind the lift.

Click here for today's boss encounter.

"It's all floaty and sparkly."

"Shouldn't we be careful about touching strange objects?"

"Eh. Anyway, I could swear I've..."

Everyone but Lymle gasps.

"That's right! That's it!"

"Yeah! The meteor fragment we found on Aeos!"

"No doubt about it, this is the same stuff!"

"But what's it doing on this planet?"

"Good question..."

"Lym, did you do something?"

"The symbol stone is reacting...Wait, could that mean...?"

"This is the source of the disease..."

"Lym, try moving it a little closer to that thing."

"'Kay."

That's Lymle talking. Presumably something she's getting from the crystal rock.

"What...just happened...?"

"...That's kinda weird. Lutie's symbol stone didn't work."

Now Playing - Cimmerian Halls

"What the hell's going on?"

"An...angel...?"

Now Playing - I Do, Therefore I Am

Barachiel is another puzzle boss where you can't just attack him outright.

He will often use attacks like this one, causing his glowing weak point to be exposed.

There are tactics you can use to make this easier. Well timed blindsides can let you get critical hits on the weak spot, especially if you use Reimi with a fire-based weapon. But I just kind of jumped into this fight blind and did whatever.

He'll start using this attack when he's weaker. Still gives you a chance to smack his glowing rear end, but now his attack can freeze your characters.

Everyone decides to be silent following Barachiel's death. No victory quotes, level up quotes, or anything.

"It would seem we've failed to recover the source of the disease..."

And on that note, the scene ends. The protagonists aren't quite aware that the lizards are gone, nor will they comment on it as we leave.

But the lizards are gone, and as you might have guessed, so too is the bacculus. We need only head back to Triom and see what has happened.

Join me next time, where we get a conclusion befitting the name of Edge Maverick.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 25, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm starting to feel like we're going to get a new alien species that everyone knows about except for us every two updates or so.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

There are tactics you can use to make this easier. Well timed blindsides can let you get critical hits on the weak spot, especially if you use Reimi with a fire-based weapon. But I just kind of jumped into this fight blind and did whatever.

Gotta say I always just waited for him to bury himself in the ground since that was the only time you can actually hit his weak point and it seemed kind of tedious, but, it never occurred to me to use advanced tactics like 'not using Edge'.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So destroying the source of the disease still causes petrification.
The lizardmen use a lot of red and wear spikes. Were they good guys?

What is with that one gif?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I just threw the characters from Infinite Undiscovery in there for a giggle.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Scalding Coffee posted:

Speaking of that gif, your webp conversion works out really well LJN. Small filesize and an actual framerate! I suppose that's what happens when you have a file format that isn't 34 years old.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Shitenshi posted:

I can remember at the cave dungeon right after you recruit Nel, she was constantly killed because she kept on using one of her spells without any regard for her life. I couldn't believe it at first, had to look at it again, but Cliff was alive flinging around Sphere of Might no problem while she was using all her fancy magic attacks and down for the count. The AI is that bad, and the stupid decisions it makes in battle isn't restricted to the problems of MP Death. It's true that later on the AI eventually gets better around the halfway point of Disc One because of some leveling mechanic for it, but gently caress me if that isn't too long. It's a problem that shouldn't be there to start with.

Also, actually using MP draining attacks on your own seemed like a game mechanic that wasn't very intuitive on it's own, almost kind of like the level of detail you had to do to play FFVIII with just physical attacks and magic without constantly resorting to GF spam. It's been almost twenty years since I played SO3 so hey, maybe my memory is hazy, but yeah, there was some weird stuff there.

I think we might both be suffering from "haven't played it in years" memory loss. I fired up my PS4 download and had a save in the exact dungeon you mention. Went to check Nel, ...and what attack spells she had were all disabled for AI use. Because in Star Ocean games, if a spell can't heal or buff you, it's worthless trash. (This is also part of why Faize is SO4's gameplay worst character. But I can go more on this at a later date.) I might be thinking of attack skills that work off of MP re: the AI.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 9 - Recruiting an Orphan

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

We boarded and neutralized the vessel we believe to be responsible for the bakula outbreak. Fortunately, it was not the Aquila, but instead a ship belonging to an alien species known as the Cardianon.

The Cardianon were mutated and driven insane by some weird rock thing we found that was just similar to the one on Aeos. We destroyed it, and ever since I've seen no mutated lizards, so we must have succeeded, right?

I figure since everything associated with the rock magically vanished, then the bakula must have teleported out of Ghimdo and the others, so we're off to Triom for our victory celebration!"

Click here to see how we saved Triom.

Now Playing - Dreams Frozen in Amber

"Man, this place seems kind of...dead..."

I'm not sure if this implies they went nuts shortly prior to us destroying the rock, or because we destroyed the rock.

Lutea comes running in from offscreen.

Now Playing - Peace of Mind

The petals on Ghimdo's flower scatter in the wind.

"I...I'm sorry, Grampa...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry..."

"However, we were unable to recover it...The symbol stone shattered, along with the source of the disease itself..."

"I see..."

Why didn't her patients start attacking people?

"I was worried it might have happened here, too..."

"Column of...light? You think this happened because of a column of light?"

"Edge..."

"No...If the source had remained, more and more would have grown sick. Now you've destroyed it. Who would condemn such an act?"

"She speaks truth, Edge. That strange object was the cause of all this suffering."

:hai:

"We're going back to the sky. We have to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. But...what do you want to do? You know, Lym, if you still feel the same as us...If you think of us as your friends, just like the way we think about you...and if you want to come along with us on our journey..."

That's right, we're recruiting us a child soldier.

At least Capell in Infinite Undiscovery had the sense to object to taking children into deadly situations. Edge is actively encouraging them to sign up. Lymle is an even younger child (physically) than Rico and Rucha.

"...I'll be waiting."

The camera pans out, and the scene ends.

Now Playing - Shattered Dreams

There's not much left in Triom. The shops are gone, and eventually the NPCs gathered here will leave for Woodley, save two oldtimers.

Big-Hearted Man: "I thought we were dead for sure. We wouldn't dare attack someone who might be a relative, but we could hardly run from them either...One of them protected the village until the very end, though. He was so mutated I couldn't tell who he was...It's that stone near the statue in the center of the village."

Something the cutscene did not make clear; Ghimdo apparently managed to keep his sanity long enough to actually help the villagers, despite mutating like the rest.

Anyway, whenever you're ready to leave, just head back to the flight deck on the Calnus.

Click here to find out what we're doing next.

It's as though she didn't find out her grampa died a few minutes ago.

"I don't think she's completely back to her old self yet. But...hopefully we can help with that."

In the background, you can hear Reimi and Lymle's conversation go on unsubtitled.

"Lym, the ship belongs to everyone, okay?"

Despite trying to talk Lymle down, Lymle defies Reimi and continues to run around and try to draw on the floor.

Honestly, she's a goddamn safety hazard. What happens if the stupid child tries to open an airlock mid warp? What if she breaks goodness knows how many bits of sensitive machinery? But no, we must take her with us, because she has the right to help save the galaxy if she wants or whatever.

"Here, sit down like a good girl, it's dangerous to run around like that, okay?"

"We don't have much data about the object."

"In other words, invasion. Sounds to me like they don't deserve much sympathy. If those were their plans for-"

"What is it?"

It took him this long to realise he never asked any basic questions of the locals. Genius.

"Hmm. Judging from the level of their civilization, it's possible they may not even have one."

"Huh?"

"Lemuris? Hmm..."

"That's a really nice name, Lym."

"Thanks, I like it..."

"Edge...there's some data here I think might interest you."

"Crowe...Who would've thought we'd catch his trail here, of all places..."

"What shall we do? I await your instructions, Captain."

Now Playing - Cosmic Voyagers

"To further research the abnormal conditions on colonization candidate planet Lemuris, and to search for the lost Aquila..."

We're still calling Lemuris a colonization candidate, despite the existence of indigenous people. Don't tell me, SRF are the good guys, they'd colonize in a very nice and happy fashion! They'll UPLIFT the Lemurisians! They'll make a treaty to colonize them consensually! Cause nobody's ever heard of that going wrong before...

"Faize, you'll have the co-pilot's seat from now on."

"Yes, sir."

"I'm doing my part, 'kay?"

:newlol:

Anyway, scene's over, and we're free to move.

Golly, a character expressing some common sense. Not that he's objecting very strenuously, and everyone goes along with this anyway.

Now to once again torture ourselves, as Welch has an interaction with Lymle now too!

Click here to see Welch bully Lymle.

"Edgie..."

"But...just look at her! She's a child, no mater how you cut it! Come on, what can you possibly rely on her for?"

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

"Huh?"

Welch, you are antagonizing a child.

Welch begins generating an animu aura.

Now Playing - The Eleventh Hour

"Not bad, huh?"

"Lymle...was it? Not bad at all."

"You may be all see-through, Welchie, but you're not so bad, 'kay?"

Welch vanishes.

"Good grief..."

A rare moment where Edge says what we're all thinking.

That's it for the Welch scene. Now we're off to find something more obscure.

With Lemuris over, we have the ability to choose our destination. We're going to Aeos right now.

When we leave Lemuris, whether for Cardianon or Aeos, we get a short scene of Lutea watching us leave.

On Aeos, we can talk to Grafton for a scene.

"Rei-uh, First Officer Saionji's boundless morale has been an inspiration to the crew, sir."

"Well, you two certainly seem to make a good team. I presume things are going smoothly for you off-duty as well?"

"...Off-duty, sir?"

"Hmm? My mistake, perhaps? I assumed the two of you were a couple. As did the bulk of the SRF."

"C-c-c-couple!?"

Optimal answer is "You knew, sir?"

"You knew, sir? Hah! Well, indeed we are."

"What!?"

"Well, well. So I thought. Romance amongst the crew is all well and good. You have my full support."

"...Thank you very much, sir."

(Edge! What do you think you're doing?)

(What? It was just a joke...)

"So love can bloom even on a long journey of space exploration...Yes, this is a fine thing indeed."

(What are we gonna do now? He looks so happy about it!)

(I think it's too late for the truth...He'll realize the mistake sooner or later, but for now let's just try to play the part.)

(F-fine...But only because we HAVE to. You got that, buster!?)

(Y-yeah...)

"Congratulations are in order. I suppose you might even be making your new home upon a world you yourselves discover."

"Oh, it's too early for such notions, sir."

"We'd be delighted if you came to visit, sir. We promise to offer every hospitality."

"...Huh?"

"Hmm. I'd be glad to take you up on that. One more thing to look forward to along the road of exploration, eh?"

"And who knows? If we're lucky, sir, we may even be able to show off little Edge Jr.!"

"Hah hah hah, making plans for your new life already, I see. The two of you are going to build a fine household.

"Ah, hah hah...Y-you said it, sir..."

"Tee-hee."

(This is just revenge...isn't it?)

(You think?)

And there it ends. This one is easy to miss, as it will be gone after heading to Cardianon, but at least it's more intuitive than the Urd Falls Cave one.

Now we have nothing else to do but head to Cardianon.

This marks another period of talking to people on the Calnus and watching scenes.

Click here for Private Actions on the way to Cardianon.

A summary: We talk to the moonbase, but get Heinz, Kenny's aide, instead of Shimada. Reimi celebrates an important date. Faize studies the blade in secret. Lymle tries to maim Faize with Cerberus. Reimi reminisces about Crowe. Everyone eats cookies, but Lymle stops when she realises Faize likes the cookies.

Once all the time has been spent, we arrive at Cardianon, poised for another cutscene on the flight deck.

Join me next time, where the Cardianon give us a grand welcome.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 25, 2023

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Captain Maverick sounds like someone's Mega Man X OC. And drat, but Lymle is annoying. Don't know much about the two sequels after this one, but it seems like every single Star Ocean game wants to have an annoying child character. Precis in 2, SoufflePeppita in 3, and then this little urchin. The only kid character I remember in the first game is that pink werewolf girl and I think you have to go well out of your way to find her. Can't remember if she's an active pain in the rear end though. Never played First Departure, only the OG SFC game which is barebones by comparison, and I think she kept her mouth shut for the most part.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Okay, Welch bullying Lymle redeems her somewhat to me. The holographic "lmao no handshakies for you" was a good finisher.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was Precis annoying outside of her battle barks? She did bring to the battlefield some fun attacks.

I heard if you played the original version, you had to switch discs between planets.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Child characters is just kind of a thing in very anime RPGs. The Tales Of series usually has at least one child character running with the party in every game, for example. From what I recall both Tales and Star Ocean have similar roots, with I think Tri-Ace breaking off from the Tales team or something similar? Been ages since I've read anything about it.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Child characters is just kind of a thing in very anime RPGs. The Tales Of series usually has at least one child character running with the party in every game, for example. From what I recall both Tales and Star Ocean have similar roots, with I think Tri-Ace breaking off from the Tales team or something similar? Been ages since I've read anything about it.

tri-Ace's founders worked for the team that made Tales of Phantasia, the first Tales game. But that game didn't actually have any child party members, as far as I recall. Most of them were just teenagers of some sort.

I don't think I can think of a single Tales game with a character as young as Lymle (her effective age, not that bullshit BuT SHeS 15), either.

Shitenshi posted:

Don't know much about the two sequels after this one, but it seems like every single Star Ocean game wants to have an annoying child character.

I know that Star Ocean 5 has a child character (a 12 year old, but she doesn't act her age). Not nearly as irritating as Lymle, that I recall, but she's basically just there for child tropes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remembered Precis from SO2 being kind of childish, but she's 16. So less a "child" character and more "typical protagonist teenager" age.

Then I remembered that Ashton has a crush on Precis if she's in the party, so I checked his age.

He's 20. :yikes:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He has a crush on best girl, Barrel.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

LJN92 posted:

tri-Ace's founders worked for the team that made Tales of Phantasia, the first Tales game. But that game didn't actually have any child party members, as far as I recall. Most of them were just teenagers of some sort.

I don't think I can think of a single Tales game with a character as young as Lymle (her effective age, not that bullshit BuT SHeS 15), either.

True, the child party members usually aren't quite as young as Lymle. A quick Google search shows that the youngest Canon age for a Tales character is 8, followed by 10. Sadly the chart I found has no names attached, so I don't even know who said 8 year old is, and the 10 looks like Laphicet from Bersaria to my inexpert eye.

The child characters have always been my least favorite party members in Tales and Star Ocean games. Except the one from Xillia, and I don't even remember the game well enough to recall why (other than being a really good healer I think?). And Laphicet from Berseria, since he felt less like a token child character and more like an actually important character in the story.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It's a good thing for these characters it was a magical bullshit rock instead of an airborne pathogen.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
welch's delivery in-game for this scene is awful, in that unique "this is a voice actress being forced to match the comedic timing of a scene written in another language with a different tempo" way. in text the lines kind of work. in motion, not so much.

it is going to be a high water mark for her regardless

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
RIP town that we knew for all of thirty minutes at best, it was your lot to be destroyed by accident for Plot so that we could bring the kid into our space colonization military. I like how the captain regards all of this as "going smoothly." At the very least, I do imagine that growing up as Edge Jr. would probably generate the appropriate angst to befit the name.

I see Welch's name and the only thing I can do is think of is the grape jelly company. I think it's the pink/violet color scheme.

This isn't a pertinent observation leading into anything, it's just a random musing. :shrug:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

I see Welch's name and the only thing I can do is think of is the grape jelly company. I think it's the pink/violet color scheme.

This isn't a pertinent observation leading into anything, it's just a random musing. :shrug:

Her last name is Vineyard, so I think it may well be intentional.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's a good thing for these characters it was a magical bullshit rock instead of an airborne pathogen.

This is the space future, no mystery or problem is ever caused by anything mundane. It's always magic space bullshit. If you go to the dentist with a toothache in the future, the first thing she asks is if you were near any luminous, talking crystals recently.

e:

LJN92 posted:

This is true of the original SNES version, but in all the other versions the kid ninja who lives in The loving Maze Forest joins.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 20, 2023

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

The english dub for this game really is a special kind of awful.
And usually not even in the funny way.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard if you played the original version, you had to switch discs between planets.

Yeah, the 360 version is on multiple discs. It's not much of an issue as you just switch to the next disc and move on with your life..unless you do the post-game and a post-game dungeon is on one disc and the Calnus (the only place where you can do item crafting) is on another.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

Her last name is Vineyard, so I think it may well be intentional.

Huh, well I guess that answers that.

what a strange decision

Cyflan posted:

The english dub for this game really is a special kind of awful.
And usually not even in the funny way.

It's no Arc Rise Fantasia that's for sure. There's a certain flatness to half of the delivery thus far that's only occasionally funny.

It took me a minute to realize Edge was voiced by Matt Mercer.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yes, the hilarious wacky hijinks and witty party banter is all definitely helping endear these characters to me. I am absolutely not wishing we could dump all of them out the hatch somewhere near a black hole.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

marshmallow creep posted:

I remembered Precis from SO2 being kind of childish, but she's 16. So less a "child" character and more "typical protagonist teenager" age.

Then I remembered that Ashton has a crush on Precis if she's in the party, so I checked his age.

He's 20. :yikes:

Leon's in SO2 too. I think he's 12? He's a bratty child-genius scientist type. Only available in one character's scenario, I forget which. He's not much of a presence outside of Disc 1 though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

Leon's in SO2 too. I think he's 12? He's a bratty child-genius scientist type. Only available in one character's scenario, I forget which. He's not much of a presence outside of Disc 1 though.

Also if you didn't have a guide you might very well not get Leon since he only officially would join Claude, and only after all hell breaks loose. The prompt to get him to join is right after his parents are probably killed and you can choose to either bring him into hell tower, or "hey stay in the last refuge of civilization on this tiny island, maybe your parents will show up!"

But you're right after Disc 1 he's a non-factor either way.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Strangely enough, I really liked Leon. I think he was only overbearing as soon as you met him while the kingdom is under lockdown, and then he's constantly out of his depth in the one ruins dungeon he's mandatory in regardless of who you pick, then his parents get killed, and then his whole planet is vaporized. Some of the Private Actions were really fun too, made Energy Nede less of the dull slog that it was. Like that one where you can find out which of the female party members he likes, and then try and tell it to X Party Member so they can let him down, but the reactions were always hilarious. Especially considering they could have gone into some weird shota poo poo, but I think they didn't? Been a long while.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 10 - The Mothership

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10. Star calendar was debugged, but then Reimi let Lymle play on a computer terminal, now the code's all messed up.

It turns out that destroying the source of the bockulas disease caused all the people infected with it to go crazy and then die. Kinda sucks, kinda feel like I hosed up, but it is what it is.

Now we're going to the Cardianon homeworld because they are connected to the bockula rock, and they might have encountered Crowe and the Aquila too."

Upon entering the flight deck, we immediately begin a cutscene.

Click here to see us get welcomed to Cardianon as guests.

Now Playing - Welcome to the Darkness

"Yes, more like a giant space fortress."

"It's all chunky and spiny and looks like it'd hurt."

"However, our coordinates are correct. This is Arcturus VIII-Cardianon."

The ship and crew suddenly shake.

"The fortress is emitting some kind of magnetic field! We're being pulled in!"

"A tractor beam!?"

"We can't break free!...Forgive me. If only I'd noticed sooner..."

"Edge, they're not responding to communications."

"Pulling us in without so much as a warning...That's not playing very nice."

"Edgie, are we gonna get captured?"

"Hey, look on the bright side-maybe we're guests!"

"Guests. Right..."

We then cut to space outside.

And then back to the flight deck.

"No welcoming party, huh? Either they don't think much of us, or they've set us a trap..."

"Their tractor beam is still in operation. I think we can safely say they've no intention of letting us go."

"First, gather information on anything related to the Aquila or the mystery object on Lemuris. Second, deactivate the tractor beam and get the hell out of this fortress. Judging by their welcome, we may end up having to fight the Cardianon along the way, but...Let's hope that doesn't happen. That's all. Any questions?"

No one asks, Reimi shakes her head.

We're now free to move around, starting on the Calnus.

"They've seized the Calnus, Reimi."

"But...but at least they were polite about it! They didn't hurt us!"

Yet. They didn't hurt you guys yet.

"I'm sure everything'll be fine....Probably."

The others don't have anything interestingly stupid to say, so let's hop on out.

Now Playing - Nascent Pulse

There's some chests to grab around here, but only one way forward. Approaching it begins another cutscene.

Click here to see the Cardianon greet us in person.

"Oh hey, Cardianon, any chance we-"

Now Playing - Chain of Explosions

"Diplomacy's off the table then. Killing time!"

The Guard Bots aren't too tough to kill, but they often use these spinning laser attacks that hit everything in front of and behind them, which can catch you off guard. They also have taser-like attacks that can stun characters temporarily.

Cardianon Soldiers aren't very strong either, but they tend to back off and shoot at you, meaning it's harder to blindside them. Enemies that run from you are often annoying to catch and hit.

"It appears we have no choice. We'll simply have to proceed prepared for battle."

Everyone takes a moment to nod at each other before moving on.

Golly.

Something that stood out to me about Infinite Undiscovery is how remarkably un-horny the character designs were. Most people were wearing fairly normal and sensible clothing. The worst offender was Michelle, and even she just had significant cleavage, as opposed to some animu monstrosity outfit designed to reveal everything.

I guess a miniskirt and bra-shirt isn't the most absurd outfit in the world, but it's definitely getting up there on the blatant sexualisation metre.

But don't worry, Last Hope will disappoint us harder in due time.

Anyway, random sex object lady walks away to do goodness knows what. Who is she? What does she want? We'll find out...eventually.

Now we finally begin the dungeon proper.

Alongside the bots we encountered earlier, we find these blue versions. Same attacks, slightly stronger.

In a chest we acquire the Thunder Ring, which is our puzzle solver for this dungeon. We need it to proceed through the nearby door, for instance.

Afterwards there's not much of interest until we come across a large room with a computer terminal.

"The only Cardianon we've seen were that first group. It's been nothing but defense bots ever since. And there's another thing, too. You've probably already noticed but..."

"Yeah. The damage here and there. There must have been some serious fighting on this ship."

"Do you think it might have something to do with Crowe...?"

"No idea...but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. That's Crowe for you."

"No kidding."

"All right, I'm finished here."

"How did it go, Faize?"

"I'm afraid there's no way to retrieve any important information from this terminal. However, I was able to locate this ship's central generator. If we can temporarily shut it down, that should release the tractor beam."

"That's a pretty bold plan. But it does sound workable. C'mon, let's get going."

"Also, I've discovered the passcode for something...probably a door somewhere. I've recorded the code for our use."

Basically, the passcode works as a way to prevent you missing this conversation.

"Heh, just when you said we weren't encountering Cardianon, they appear!"

"Oh no, we've been jinxed again!"

"Hey, these are the same lizard enemies we found back on Lemuris!"

"Curious. They seem to be cooperating with the Cardianon, despite appearing to be berserk beasts before."

"Hey, an unsecured terminal! What luck!"

"I'll investigate it for information..."

"Goodness, it seems that they have set up a sort of vending machine. You insert currency, and it delivers promised goods."

"I've been thinking, why does it seem like everywhere we go, everyone uses the same currency?"

"Well, Fol does have intrinsic value through the materials it's made from."

"Yeah but the prices are the same too. We can buy a Blueberry here for the same price as in Woodley Village."

"Who knows? As long as it's convenient for us, right?"

Anyway, up ahead we find ourselves in another cutscene.

Click here to see the inside of a Cardianon Freezer.

Now Playing - Dreams Frozen in Amber

"...Don't say things like that."

"Coldsleep?"

"I can't begin to imagine why, but most of the Cardianon must be in stasis here."

"Well, I guess that's why we haven't seen very many of them, huh?"

Lymle realizes she's looking at a Cardianon.

"I know we could see Dragon Newts outside, but this is just so very surprising!"

"Did they mutate inside their capsules? Or did they mutate after they got out? Hmm...Is this the same thing we saw happening on Lemuris...?"

We can hear the sound of fighting outside.

"Let's take a different corridor. We don't need any trouble we can avoid."

Except that if that's someone or something fighting the Cardianon, it might be an ally. Enemy of my enemy, right? Sure, there's a chance it's just something insane, but it's worth verifying if you can, right?

But no, we're going to avoid it.

"Come on, Lym."

"...'Kay, let's go."

We're free to move again. Even if we want to, we can't find whatever's causing a ruckus, so we have no choice but to proceed.

We'll soon learn we need a Cardianon ID to proceed. This corpse has one, but we can't get it without heating up the room.

Use the Thunder Ring on this, and the room is forced to heat up.

This causes a bunch of pallet swapped lizards to come out and fill the room. But regardless, we can get past them and grab that ID. We must now backtrack to a previous room with a computer in it for a cutscene.

Computer: "ID card registration complete."

Click here to see us search a Cardianon computer.

"Faize!"

Reimi shakes her head at him.

"In any case, we can hardly leave the Cardianon alone now, can we? We know what we have to do. I couldn't live with myself if we let something like the tragedy on Lemuris happen again."

"Well, before we can do anything, we need more information. How's it looking, Faize?"

"Yes...let's see if there's anything else..."

"Stop it right there!"

Now Playing - Dark Heart, Dark Mind

"Edge, isn't that..."

"Yeah. It looks like the source of the disease on Lemuris. Faize, pull up detailed data on this thing."

Faize messes around with his doohickey as we see everyone looking concerned.

"However..."

"Do you think...!?"

"There might be another one of those objects there...!"

"All right, let's head for that isolation chamber!"

Scene over, we can move again. But there's not much else to find until we get through another ID covered door.

Click here for the conclusion to this update.

The party looks around the room but sees nothing. They then walk further in.

Now Playing - Wild Fight, No End in Sight

All the doors in the room are closing.

This door conveniently closes slower than the others.

Suddenly, everyone is teleported away.

To where, and what for? Questions for the next update.

Join me next time, where we finally talk to a Cardianon, and find out who's been messing up the ship.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 25, 2023

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Epiphanies of Guidance sounds like something out of Dwarf Fortress.

I hope it menaces with spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

LJN92 posted:

Anyway, random sex object lady walks away to do goodness knows what. Who is she? What does she want? We'll find out...eventually.

It's really telling how stupid things are and will continue to be when you go "wait, fanservice was here?"