Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Thank you! This is a p good looking jumping off point from the looks of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Alchenar posted:

I'm also intensely sceptical that that's what it claims to be, although the war is reaching a point where both sides are innovating hard into new TTPs. It could be anything from 'disorientate the enemy so they don't know where the attack is coming in from' to 'keep moving back and forth so you don't eat a ATGM/drone strike'.

It reminds me of older trench fighting doctrine. When attacked, counterattack with light units, then retreat. This forces enemies to redeploy to counter you. From there, decide if you're going to assault the position.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 19, 2023

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1637636697880948736?t=5_K37qs46gE5SPAlcPgjSQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1637636699927789569?t=tnkHeKqB_XB7vcqzDuLQSA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1637636701794316289?t=yV-HsOK0rm_bWYTmjRmmiA&s=19

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Could that be a kind of shaping operation? Light-ish counter attacks across a fairly broad area to keep the Russians focused on that area and hopefully to draw more and more reinforcements there and thin the lines elsewhere?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fearless posted:

Could that be a kind of shaping operation? Light-ish counter attacks across a fairly broad area to keep the Russians focused on that area and hopefully to draw more and more reinforcements there and thin the lines elsewhere?

Every mobik dying in a muddy hole in Bakhmut is one less mobik elsewhere that could hold up a punch through the lines. Its possible that Ukraine could definitely go for an armored thrust in/near Bakhmut, but I don't know if I'd go for trying to force a breakthrough in the area where a large percentage of Russian units are operating. Though, apparently, the mobiks on the front lines seem to not have a whole lot of ATGMs, surprisingly.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I doubt they gear them properly in fear of them turning the weapons around due to how they are treated.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ded posted:

I doubt they gear them properly in fear of them turning the weapons around due to how they are treated.

You can murder your officers more easily with a pistol or a rifle than you can with an anti-tank missile, so I wouldn't necessarily attribute the lack to this. My guess would be either there's an actual shortage, or else just no time/trainers to teach the mobiks how to actually use the things.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

Every mobik dying in a muddy hole in Bakhmut is one less mobik elsewhere that could hold up a punch through the lines. Its possible that Ukraine could definitely go for an armored thrust in/near Bakhmut, but I don't know if I'd go for trying to force a breakthrough in the area where a large percentage of Russian units are operating. Though, apparently, the mobiks on the front lines seem to not have a whole lot of ATGMs, surprisingly.

There seems to have been a not insignificant amount of drone footage within the past week or two of Ukrainian tanks rolling up to Russian trenches and blasting them at almost point blank range. I know nothing about tanks, but wouldn't that be pretty risky if the opposition had even basic bitch RPG-7s?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nuclear Tourist posted:

There seems to have been a not insignificant amount of drone footage within the past week or two of Ukrainian tanks rolling up to Russian trenches and blasting them at almost point blank range. I know nothing about tanks, but wouldn't that be pretty risky if the opposition had even basic bitch RPG-7s?

Yeah it would be, and no they don't.

The interesting question about a counteroffensive near Bakhmut is, the Russians have to have a lot of support infrastructure right behind the lines, so do you try for a penetration that will let you gank those elements, or do you go in elsewhere that isn't as well supported? The Ukrainian high command can read a map better than I can, but I have to say there are some really interesting areas on the Russian lines if you look with an eye to putting a couple of mechanized brigades through them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
As insane as some of the control maps of bakhmut look, it's still nowhere near as wild as wild as some of the control maps that were coming out during the battle for aleppo in 2014/2015/2016, eg

It ended up taking nearly 4 years to finally close the encirclement and cut off supply lines. Which then led to a counter offensive that reopened supply lines on the other side (albeit briefly and ultimately unsuccessfully).

I tend to agree with people estimating that Bakhmut is likely to be not an advantageous situation to fight out of (insofar as I have any clue what's going on from thousands of miles away), but as long as Ukraine is committed to holding it who knows how long it could take to finally cut it off. Ukraine appears to feel that they either have or are close to having eliminated much of Russia's offensive potential and seems to be acting accordingly. If they feel that they can simply not give up the ground because Russia is not actually able to take it then they're probably going to do that. Aleppo is a heavily different situation so I don't mean to overly suggest a comparison, but if the offensive power is genuinely drained, then the lines can stay relatively static for a very long time even if they otherwise look beyond precarious.

On a related note citeam has been reporting that Russia is starting a new mobilization wave in the last few days. eg
https://notes.citeam.org/mobi-mar-17-18

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 20, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bare in mind the RPG 7 is a drat near ancient design, advanced little beyond a Panzerfaust/RPG 2, in operation, design, and munitions. There have been little to no advancement in HEAT rockets for it. You can hope for a mobility kill, or to blind it, but it will make nearly any tank or modern (like the upgraded 113) angry rather than dead. It's rockets have not been effective against actual tanks for like 40 years now. But it's cheap, easy, and available in insane numbers- the launchers can even be craft made.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

There have been little to no advancement in HEAT rockets for it.

Are you sure about that? PG-7VR is nasty still I thought. Abrams guys were worried about RPG-29s in Iraq IIRC and its a comparable warhead.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Has there been any discussion in Finland about changing the gauge of their rail system to match the rest of NATO now that their accession is imminent?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Finland announced their participation in the EU's Rail Baltica project back in 2019 already. Changing their domestic gauge probably isn't within the scope of that project, but it does mean Helsinki gets directly connected to the rest of the european railway network and that's a good start to work from at a later point.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

With the small caveat that their only land links are through Russia and through a rarely used goods line to Sweden way up north.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On a related note citeam has been reporting that Russia is starting a new mobilization wave in the last few days. eg
https://notes.citeam.org/mobi-mar-17-18
That things said by the Russian government in that link are good old fashioned comedy, thank you for the proclick.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Are you sure about that? PG-7VR is nasty still I thought. Abrams guys were worried about RPG-29s in Iraq IIRC and its a comparable warhead.

RPG29 is a totally different weapon, and it was a Golden BB type shot if I recall that killed the Abrams and scared the gently caress out of everyone.
Even with the upgraded munitions, it has little chance against most modern armored fighting vehicles beyond mission kills, like throwing a track, breaking optics, jamming the turret, etc. With the upgraded armor packages, a 7 model rocket of any type I know of (not an expert, am probably wrong) has little chance of destroying the vehicle or crew.

Not to say that getting rockets lobbed at you is a hood time, even when you know they won't kill you.

Tangentially related- Everytime I see a video of someone putting an 82mm mortar warhead on a RPG booster, I feel a little gratitude that my enemies hadn't learned that trick yet. Fun Fact- a HEAT RPG round sucks at anti-people work, and if I were honest about my experiences on the wrong end, people would think I'm full of poo poo.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Finland announced their participation in the EU's Rail Baltica project back in 2019 already. Changing their domestic gauge probably isn't within the scope of that project, but it does mean Helsinki gets directly connected to the rest of the european railway network and that's a good start to work from at a later point.

Presumably they could build new standard gauge HSR corridors overlaying / replacing their Russian gauge trackage which would then be reserved for low-speed / freight use, like Spain has done to their broad gauge rail network since the 70s. It looks like this is what the Rail Baltica project is doing in LT/LV/EE. The problem is what exactly it would connect to besides a ferry. No matter how high speed a high speed railway might be, I don't think anybody wants to do Stockholm-Helsinki via Oulu.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not gonna lie a northern train route from Finland to Sweden sounds like it'd be a pleasure just to see the scenery even if it isn't super practicable for actual travel.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Not gonna lie a northern train route from Finland to Sweden sounds like it'd be a pleasure just to see the scenery even if it isn't super practicable for actual travel.

Hope u like bogs.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

McGavin posted:

Hope u like bogs.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Where's my bog appreciators at

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

A.o.D. posted:

Has there been any discussion in Finland about changing the gauge of their rail system to match the rest of NATO now that their accession is imminent?

Iirc it was alread a TEN-T thing that new lines should be standard gauge and some grumblings from Frinland over it. That may change now.

Also, I dimly remembered some TEN-T rumblings last year. Best I could find quickly: https://transport.ec.europa.eu/news...t-2022-07-27_en

quote:

The different rail track gauges used in Ukraine compared to most of the EU are also addressed in the proposal. The difference is a huge obstacle to interoperability. The proposal includes measures to migrate railway lines, when economically justified, to the European standard track gauge. This also applies to non-standard track gauges within the EU; the difficulties at the Ukraine border have highlighted how this lack of interoperability makes the railway network inside EU territory vulnerable.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
A Northern Norway railroad has been the pipe dream of the entire region since WW2 (when foreign interest in it dried up), so a Tromsø-Rovaniemi-line with military applications would be of interest to both Norway, Sweden and Finland.

What with the Northeast passage soon being ice free all year round, there might be a commercial case for it as well.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

meatbag posted:

What with the Northeast passage soon being ice free all year round, there might be a commercial case for it as well.

Without the snow how will we get our nordic Snowpiercer?

I imagine the grade changes required would eliminate HSR, but some good traditional freight and passenger lines would be a huge value add.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

RPG29 is a totally different weapon, and it was a Golden BB type shot if I recall that killed the Abrams and scared the gently caress out of everyone.
Even with the upgraded munitions, it has little chance against most modern armored fighting vehicles beyond mission kills, like throwing a track, breaking optics, jamming the turret, etc. With the upgraded armor packages, a 7 model rocket of any type I know of (not an expert, am probably wrong) has little chance of destroying the vehicle or crew.

Not to say that getting rockets lobbed at you is a hood time, even when you know they won't kill you.

Tangentially related- Everytime I see a video of someone putting an 82mm mortar warhead on a RPG booster, I feel a little gratitude that my enemies hadn't learned that trick yet. Fun Fact- a HEAT RPG round sucks at anti-people work, and if I were honest about my experiences on the wrong end, people would think I'm full of poo poo.

You can be honest here, you have established some pretty good cred

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Hey I thought you might find this article interesting as well!
Considering the situation at Bakhmut just keeps getting more and more precarious, I thought I'd translate a few articles that focus on that area. In this article a Yle journalist visits a trench system that defends the road to Slovjansk, and interviews soldiers stationed there. I recommend you check the link for video and photos of the conditions these soldiers live in, while defending their nation from the Russian invasion.

Author: Antti Kuronen
Release date: 20.03.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20023063

quote:

Yle in Bakhmut: Most of the weapons of the city's defenders are from the Soviet era, there is mud everywhere

Yle reporter Antti Kuronen and cameraman Benjamin Suomela visited the trenches, which are used to defend the road from Bakhmut to Slovjanski.

Description of video: Journalist Kuronen is in a trench, and as he is ducking towards the camera he explains that spring has arrived early in Bakhmut which can be seen by the amount of mud everywhere. There is quite a bit of water in there, and while moving about isn't easy, it is a lot easier compared to a week ago, when it rained last. He explains that the soldiers stationed there are tasked with defending and important road leading out of Bakhmut. They are armed with anti-tank weaponry as well as anti-air weapons, such as Stingers. He gesticulates and points to the direction a drone flew out a while ago. He finishes off by mentioning they are only a few kilometers from the frontline and the Russian forces stationed there.

BAKHMUT Sasha guards the horizon. He is ready to destroy Russian fighters. The hardest battles of the war take place a couple of kilometers away in Bakhmut.

Sasha joined the army a year ago when Russia fired at his hometown Kramatorsk. Factory work changed to anti-aircraft work.

Since then, the American Stinger launcher has become familiar.

Sasha shows how he puts the launcher into working order in an instant and rushes to the positions.

- With these we destroy enemy fighters, helicopters and, for example, Orlan drones, says Sasha.

The main task of the Kramatorsk border troops is the defense of the road from Bakhmut to Slovjansk.

If the Russians manage to break through in Bakhmut, a defense line awaits them just outside the city. Ukraine has built there, for example, concrete bunkers with machine guns and anti-tank weapons.

Russia's goal is to occupy the entire Donetsk region. That's why this particular highway is critical.

There are no alternatives to defending Bakhmut

Unit commander Serhi says that the battle for Bakhmut is tough. Ukrainians die in a defensive battle, but according to him, there are no alternatives.

– If we don't defend ourselves here, then where?

The commander has mixed feelings about the battles. Many Ukrainians die and get wounded in Bahmut, but in the endgame, he says he trusts the political and military leadership.

- They have more information than I do, says the commander.

If Ukraine loses Bakhmut and the surrounding hills, there is a risk that Russia will break deep into Ukraine.

Serhi confirms reports of Russia's unrelenting attack. Russian soldiers are being sent with a continuous supply towards the Ukrainian positions in Bahmut. They are lightly armed, and the attacks continue in the same way all the time.

- The Russians are destroying their own. They treat them like meat, says the commander.

- Again and again they crawl from the same places, and our soldiers destroy them. This may continue for four or five days. They don't even change tactics. There are a lot of them, but our troops know how to defend themselves effectively.

The biggest problem for Ukraine in Bahmut and many other places is the Russian artillery. Defense is hard because of that. The commander admits it, and it clearly touches him too. Many pay with their lives.

The most pressing problem is the scarcity of ammunition and armament.

- The situation is difficult, but tolerable. We can push them out, but we need weapons to do that.

Russia is encircling Bakhmut from three directions

The battle for Bakhmut has been going on since last summer. Over the past couple of months, Russia has advanced and is encircling the city from three directions.

Russia is also attacking from many other directions in Donbas, but the battles in Bakhmut are the hardest.

The fate of the city is still completely open. The Ukrainian leadership has vowed to defend Bakhmut.

From the hills on the north side of Bakhmut, the Ukrainian artillery is mauling the Russians. The rumble of war a couple of kilometers from the city is continuous.

There are several new bunkers. There are also anti-tank weapons all the way along the front.

Soviet-era armament

Still, much of the armament is still from the Soviet Union. This unit has, for example, the Fagot anti-tank weapon. It was manufactured in the Soviet Union from the beginning of the 1970s.

Heavy machine guns are from the same era. Such have been installed, for example, on the roof of a light military vehicle. The vehicle is a Toyota Landcruiser up-armored in Ukraine.

The foxholes also contain modern NLAW anti-tank weapons.

56-year-old Eduard is responsible for a ten-person anti-tank team. He joined the war already in 2014.

- It's hard when the enemy attacks your country. Especially when you have a family you want to live for, says Eduard.

Before the war, he worked in the Ministry of Transport of Ukraine. That life has been left behind.

- We Ukrainians are a peaceful nation. We don't interfere in other people's affairs. We want to live in peace, like in the EU, but here in our own country, says Eduard thoughtfully.

- In my opinion, the person in power in Russia has an unhealthy situation in his head. He wanted to be Tsar, but...

There is water and mud in the trenches

Spring has come early. The endless trenches have water in places. There is mud everywhere. Still, the situation is better than a week ago. It hasn't rained in the last few days.

But whenever it rains, there are problems. Trenches can collapse. That is why they must be supported.

- There is also a shortage of timber. We need it to support the trenches, says one soldier who remains anonymous.

Many of those here have been in the forces for almost a year. There are still no signs of giving up.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The armoured landcruiser looks awesome

Set
Oct 30, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

The armoured landcruiser looks awesome

I wonder how much of the original truck is left under the armour? Especially with the pixel camo it looks so scifi.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Computer viking posted:

With the small caveat that their only land links are through Russia and through a rarely used goods line to Sweden way up north.

I kid you not but there has been actual talks on doing another "eurotunnel", this time between Helsinki and Tallinn. But that obviously kinda expects that the rail connection from Estonia to Central Europe works well enough to warrant this.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

bog water makes you hig

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

meatbag posted:

ANY DAY NOW!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Der Kyhe posted:

I kid you not but there has been actual talks on doing another "eurotunnel", this time between Helsinki and Tallinn. But that obviously kinda expects that the rail connection from Estonia to Central Europe works well enough to warrant this.

I guess that's more reasonable than a bridge system via Åland, which was my first thought.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Der Kyhe posted:

"Talks" i.e. a mini-Elon who made his money with angry birds said he's totally gonna do it, just believe me guys, ignore that Helsinki officials told him to gently caress off with all his plans. Oh and you should definitely go and buy some of those tickets he's been selling for a few years now, I'm sure that's a good way to save money.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Loezi posted:

"Talks" i.e. a mini-Elon who made his money with angry birds said he's totally gonna do it, just believe me guys, ignore that Helsinki officials told him to gently caress off with all his plans. Oh and you should definitely go and buy some of those tickets he's been selling for a few years now, I'm sure that's a good way to save money.

Well, its talks and looking for investors regardless. And much more realistic, and when functional useful and robust than series of bridges and "top of the seabed" tunnels from Turku archipelago to Åland and Sweden.

Most probably Åland government would block it anyway, because they absolutely do not want a road from Marienhamn to continent. So it has to go from Turku to Sweden directly.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I design railways for a living, so this is very much in my wheelhouse.

A.o.D. posted:

Some idea guy types got really excited, but otherwise no.

Regauging would have been feasible before concrete sleepers (ties in American), but those days are long gone. You'd need to build a whole parallel rail system like the Spanish or Japanese HSR systems and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Slashrat posted:

The tunnel project is staying on the drawing board for decades to come, no matter what the Angry Birds hype man says.

A few gantry cranes at the break of gauge in Haparanda would be the most cost-effective investment in western rail connectivity.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

ChaseSP posted:

Conspicuously absent in the Russian Army.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

god i never ever get tired of 'idea man' types

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Fearless posted:

Conspicuously absent in the Russian Army.

Na slavny bog, na smiertny bog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

ChaseSP posted:

https://twitter.com/ThatSamWinkler/status/1624543367815393280?t=jpLVpj6fSrHWkXY9yXHBNQ&s=19