  • Post
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

genuinely, no idea. I don't recall seeing them before

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

An Actual Princess posted:

genuinely, no idea. I don't recall seeing them before

Huh! Now I'm even more curious. I feel like I conjure a high-def image of them in my mind pretty easily, and that it's just a matter of figuring out where it came from. This makes me wonder if it's purely my imagination, if the blast processing is coming from inside my skull.

(First thought: wait, what do the 2016 imps look like? Nope, not that. Uh, that daedra I remember seeing in Tamriel Rebuilt? Nope, not a Vermai. Ask a friend, friend suggests Resident Evil. Well, the Licker is vaguely similar, but the coloring is wrong. And they never seem to stand upright. Am I just thinking of the cover of the newest Blind Guardian album?)

Where the hell do I know them from ...

edit: vvv Thank you for the reminder that I should check out that show. (Meanwhile, I'm up to "christ am I just mixing in Skyrim's hagravens?" They have the right coloring on body/limbs.)

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 13, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
looks a lot like some of the monsters in the evil dead show to me, but where they would be from doom-wise, no clue

nice video by the way, thank you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

They kinda look like the Pale Man monster from Pan's Labyrinth, IMO.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

They kinda look like the Pale Man monster from Pan's Labyrinth, IMO.

I showed that to a discord server and got back Pan's Labyrinth, too. I suspect it's a modification even then--the Pale Man didn't have teeth like that and his torso was generally less lean and more distended--but I could buy it being the basis and then modified to be easier to read.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Light Gun Man posted:

looks a lot like some of the monsters in the evil dead show to me, but where they would be from doom-wise, no clue

nice video by the way, thank you.

Yeah, definitely reminds me of Eligos.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's a Vampyr, made by Amuscaria for Hell-Forged https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/131945-hell-forged-episode-ii-resources-released-project-on-hold/. He just released the assets for public use late last year so not a ton of other wads have used these monsters yet.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

treat posted:

It's a Vampyr, made by Amuscaria for Hell-Forged https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/131945-hell-forged-episode-ii-resources-released-project-on-hold/. He just released the assets for public use late last year so not a ton of other wads have used these monsters yet.

Mystery solved!
:ms:
(Those all look really cool.)

Thanks for that. And thanks to the others for suggestions.

I have this growing feeling that I'm so confident I've seen it before because it's an invented memory.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thats fair. My first thought when I saw the not-Cacodemons was that they were heavily inspired by the old Langoliers TV movie. Just... not nearly as poo poo CGI.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrELyz0KZM

saw the walkthrough was posted, but made a video anyway. All my commentary is in youtube subtitles, so make sure to turn those on. hope this helps!

thanks for sharing this, loved the hell out of this concept and no idea how you could even plan this out let alone building the whole thing as a doom wad.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Extra spooky "the game is haunted" detail, if you collect all the artifacts, burn down the house, and progress to the vacant lot with the For Sale sign, you can still open the secret door in the fence but instead of leading to the gas station, it takes you to a gravestone with a qr code.

The qr code is an obituary for the guy who "cleaned up" the dead friend's .wad and posted it on the doom forum. Turns out he also died on the same day several months ago, and both obits are side by side (in different Google drive photos) and reference reconnecting with an old high school crush and moving to Illinois with their new partner. :ghost::love::ghost:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wNdWb4JkdaZn2M5B8MhFLrapsYFYvLOv/view?usp=drivesdk

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Yeah that obit confused the hell out of me. I don't know if anyone has a theory to put it all together but it seems like the .pk3 was building itself, and that Steve (the polisher) would have vivid dreams and the dreams would end up in the map without his knowledge somehow. So did the game post itself after the tragedy of Eric and Steve's death? Or is Steve a ghost? But his journal describes him going to work and interacting with Eric's parents after his death. Is this an alternate Steve and Eric, related to the other Steve that he sees winking to him in his mirror?

Absolutely loved this experience and I'm still happy and satisfied with things remaining not completely explained but drat is this intriguing and I'd love to hear something that would make it "make sense".

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
While I've definitely seen monsters that look more like that guy, I'm also reminded of the Dead Hand from Zelda

https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Dead_Hand?file=OoT_Dead_Hand_Model_2.png

Toothy corpse is a rich vein

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I'm rereading the thread, and it made me remember an old rumor that I don't think I ever posted here. I'm probably distorting it a little because it's been a while.

There was this series of 2D life simulation games called Creatures that was made by Cyberlife and published by Mindscape. You would hatch and raise little guys called Norns, which involved teaching them to communicate and helping them find food and explore their world and so on. The backstory was roughly that an ancient spacefaring race, the Shee, had created the Norns, along with other little guys called Ettins and Grendels, and their environment before moving on to bigger and better things (extinction).

Anyway, the second game had 2 oceans in it, and there was lore about there being a sea serpent in one of them. Nobody ever saw it, as far as I know, but they would still talk about how it would DEFINITELY emerge if you just waited long enough.

I wonder if anybody ever datamined those games...

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Oh those were such fun games.
From what I understand the games have effectively been datamined inside and out. I vaguely recall someone made a COB that was a sea serpent, but it used original art. Other than that, as far as I know there's no art in the game for one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I never managed to get those furry little dickheads to learn poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I never managed to get those furry little dickheads to learn poo poo

the release version was bugged so after a couple hours their neurochemistry would stop working

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

Pogonodon posted:

Oh those were such fun games.
From what I understand the games have effectively been datamined inside and out. I vaguely recall someone made a COB that was a sea serpent, but it used original art. Other than that, as far as I know there's no art in the game for one.

I feel weirdly thankful to know this. Kid me was bizarrely afraid of that guy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

[...]

Oh yeah, I played that as a kid. The sea monster is 100% real. If I remember right, you could always very slightly see a tiny part of it maybe? But there were ways to get it to come out by baiting it with fish.

Another weird but true thing is that the little jumpy guys had a raspy speech clip that was actually a crowd chanting "hell no, we won't go" if you reversed it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The main thing I remember about Creatures is that they did so well at selling the idea that those creatures were artificial life that the community talked about glitches with creature behavior like mental disorders.

I don't remember the name people gave it, but I remember in the first game (the only one I had) there was a glitch where a Norn would just be born without the ability to do anything. Couldn't walk, couldn't speak, couldn't interact, couldn't eat. Basically the only thing they could do was look around and follow the mouse cursor. But rather than treat it like a glitch people talked about it in the same way they'd talk about children with serious disorders, it was actually kinda sweet.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Oh yeah, I played that as a kid. The sea monster is 100% real. If I remember right, you could always very slightly see a tiny part of it maybe? But there were ways to get it to come out by baiting it with fish.

Well I'll be damned! I must have blotted it from my mind or something because yep, it's there and it's named Borland.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pogonodon posted:

Well I'll be damned! I must have blotted it from my mind or something because yep, it's there and it's named Borland.

Speaking of urban legends, sniffing around the wiki has led me to a stunning and baffling revelation that feels like I've stumbled across one of these:

Not only are the Creatures games on Steam... but they've been getting steady updates over the last couple years, somehow. I have no idea who's doing this or how, I can't find any information about the current developer or how they somehow found the rights, I thought these games were just weird lost abandonware!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cleretic posted:

I have no idea who's doing this or how, I can't find any information about the current developer or how they somehow found the rights, I thought these games were just weird lost abandonware!

https://spilgames.com/creatures-reborn-mobile-age/

Published by BigBen Interactive (now Nacon), developed by Spil Games (now Azerion).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://spilgames.com/creatures-reborn-mobile-age/

Published by BigBen Interactive (now Nacon), developed by Spil Games (now Azerion).

That just raises further questions, because those are neither of the names on the Steam pages. Those list Gameware Europe (who are the company that bought up Creatures Labs, but they've done barely anything else) and Critter Consortium, which the Creatures Wiki calls a one-person studio and for which I can find no details of whatsoever.

EDIT: Gameware Europe's website doesn't even mention this apparent mobile version.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 18, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cleretic posted:

That just raises further questions, because those are neither of the names on the Steam pages. Those list Gameware Europe (who are the company that bought up Creatures Labs, but they've done barely anything else) and Critter Consortium, which the Creatures Wiki calls a one-person studio and for which I can find no details of whatsoever.

BigBen is listed on the steam page under the system requirements?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Grassy Knowles posted:

BigBen is listed on the steam page under the system requirements?

...that is a very weird thing that I don't think I've ever seen before. Huh.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I remember hearing about the mobile version, but I thought it ended up being vaporware?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I remember one Coming Soon from Fishing Cactus that hasn't had a progress update or mention since 2015 or something, was that it?

edit: yeah that one died in 2015, spil games picked up the license to release a mobile game in 2017 and that seems to have never happened was unceremoniously cancelled

quote:

Creatures Family had an original release date of 2017. Spil Games later confirmed, in March 2018, that the game's release had been delayed with no confirmation of a release date. In August 2019 Spil Games stated via email that the game was "no longer in [their] portfolio", and later confirmed in June 2020 that the game is "no longer in development for technical reasons".

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 18, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vavrek posted:

That was great, thanks! I have a question:

At one point, you say "These are extremely not normal doom enemies." At this point:

My question is: What are they? They're incredibly familiar but I can't place where I know them from or what they are.

They look ridiculously familiar to me too and I never saw Pan's Labyritnth. Were you a Buffy fan, by chance, 'cause that'd be a lead worth chasing for us if you were.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

They look ridiculously familiar to me too and I never saw Pan's Labyritnth. Were you a Buffy fan, by chance, 'cause that'd be a lead worth chasing for us if you were.

treat posted:

It's a Vampyr, made by Amuscaria for Hell-Forged https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/131945-hell-forged-episode-ii-resources-released-project-on-hold/. He just released the assets for public use late last year so not a ton of other wads have used these monsters yet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you. I never played that, so that's not it either.

I mean, it's what it is, it's just not what it reminds me of.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
are you thinking of the Raw Shocks from Silent Hill Shattered Memories?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vavrek posted:

That was great, thanks! I have a question:

At one point, you say "These are extremely not normal doom enemies." At this point:

My question is: What are they? They're incredibly familiar but I can't place where I know them from or what they are.

I mean, to me, they look quite a lot like extremely normal doom enemies?

They do sorta remind me of Xenomorphs from AvP on the Jaguar too:

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 23, 2023

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Blockhouse posted:

are you thinking of the Raw Shocks from Silent Hill Shattered Memories?

I love those things so much just for the idea that these horrifying monsters just want to give you hugs and headpats and just want to protect you from the horrible truth you are trying to discover.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Those things kinda give me "regenerator from Resident Evil 4" vibes, for whatever that's worth

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
Some fun stuff about the old Creatures games! Being a PC game from the mid-90s, most discussion of the games was on the usenet group alt.games.creatures. In 1998, someone posted this:

quote:

From: regen
Subject: drowned god [1]
Newsgroups: alt.games.creatures
Date: 1998/02/25
Help! Does anyone know how to get back into
the sun pyramid, in the Chesed time period?
I went out before I finished my task and know
there is a large sphere blocking the entrance.
I don't want to have to start the game
all over from the beginning.
Thanks in advance.

As mentioned before, the Creatures games are virtual life simulations. I have no idea how this guy got to this group to post about Drowned God. Fortunately for us (unfortunately for this guy?) this is the first reply he received:

quote:

From: David "I Don't Like SPAM" Wood
Newsgroups: alt.games.creatures
Date: 1998/02/25

Yayyy! He found the Creatures Secret Adventure Mode too!!!

Obviously the first means of getting back to the pyramid, the time
machine, won't work now because you had to leave it behind on the first
trip. There is another means, however, and it requires some preparation.

It helps if the top and coffeepot are already in the mover between the
island and the lighthouse.

If you haven't already tricked the grendel into eating multiple
deathcaps, do so. Skin it with the stone knife, and when offered the
choice of things to make with the stone knife, pick "wetsuit." Put on
the wetsuit -- it's a tricky series of pushes and pulls every time you
play; watch what the norn does to figure out which way you should go
next.

Just so you can get everything else in one trip, put the exploding
carrot in the incubator and grab the incubator. You can't put the coffee
and carrot in the incubator together, or else it explodes prematurely,
and you can't put the coffeepot and top in the incubator together or
else the whole rig just vanishes. (You'll understand why in just a bit.)

Go down to that mover again where you already have the coffeepot and
top. Get in. Drop the incubator in the cart with you. Grab the carrot.
Then wait; this requires timing.

When the mover is just under the sunken statue, PULL the exploding
carrot. This is important; if he PUSHes it, he eats it. Not only will
this kill the norn, but the image of the liquefied norn spraying out the
face-hole of the wetsuit is precious. I recommend saving your game just
before that point and doing it that way anyway, just to see it.

Anyway, when you pull the exploding carrot, the mover is destroyed and
the tube around him starts to flood. That's the other reason you need
the wetsuit. Quickly now...

: push toy into incubator
: push drink onto toy
: push toy
And while the top is spinning...
: push incubator.

There will be a brilliant flash of light, and you should find yourself
at the sun pyramid, already behind the guards. At that point, just
enter.

FREEBIE: To get out of the pyramid, you'll need to get past the High
Priest, who will have taken up a position at the entrance. Before then,
though, you'll find a loaf of bread. Get the bread, but DO NOT EAT IT!
If you see the recipe card for it, you'll understand why. Take that too.

To get past the High Priest...

: give food to priest
He'll be unsure of it, but he'll eat it. The fool! Now...
: show card to priest
...and he'll be too busy vomiting to order your execution. Take that
opportunity to get away fast.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, then you might want to pick the
newsgroup you post to a little more carefully next time.

--David
Aspiring Carnivore

The Secret Adventure Mode and its definite real existence immediately became a very popular injoke in the Creatures Community, confusing new people for years. This eventually culminated in C12DS — an ambitious mod porting the entirety of the first Creatures game to the last Creatures game (Docking Station) — where following some of David Wood's post allows you to unlock the Secret Sun Pyramid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo1cWC3vVOI

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

LividLiquid posted:

They look ridiculously familiar to me too and I never saw Pan's Labyritnth. Were you a Buffy fan, by chance, 'cause that'd be a lead worth chasing for us if you were.
I watched a decent amount of Buffy when I moved to an area with UPN just as it switched to that network. (Season Six is not a good introduction to the show.) Wouldn't call myself a fan, haven't gone back to revisit the show at all. The issue is that I had a clear mental image of that creature as a video game enemy, which I am increasingly sure was a spontaneously constructed memory.

!Klams posted:

I mean, to me, they look quite a lot like extremely normal doom enemies?

They do sorta remind me of Xenomorphs from AvP on the Jaguar too:

:shrug:
I was going by the commentary. I've played the first half of Doom 2016 and, like ... E1M1, probably completed E1M2. I don't really have a good sense of what does and doesn't look like a Doom enemy, even though (if I stop to think about it) I can come up with a pretty decent roster just from all the pictures and videos I've seen over the years. (I just don't know what most of them are called.)

---

The reason I'm thinking it was a spontaneously constructed memory is that I had a clear sense of exactly this creature:

but as though from a AAA video game from 2010-2015. I could see the model in my mind's eye, but it wasn't in any environment or context. It was just an immediate "Oh, they're not normal Doom enemies? I guess they were ported from some other series? Oh yeah! Those! Where do I know them from?" My earlier thought, looking (by coincidence) through the bestiary for the Elder Scrolls games, was that I was riffing on the hagravens, but I'm pretty sure I've found the seed now:

The Amaki Blood Trolls of World of Warcraft's Battle for Azeroth expansion have the same pattern of a pale base skin tone, stained red from their calves/forearms down. (Looking at some concept art, it's unclear to me how much the red hands/feet are natural pigmentation versus environmental staining, but it seems distinct from the body painting.)

If reading this thread has taught me anything, it's that having a sudden intense recollection of something, and even having it shared by others, isn't exactly proof that it was ever a real thing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I have no idea about this creatures game but everything in that response by David wood is delightful

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Tunicate posted:

the release version was bugged so after a couple hours their neurochemistry would stop working

Which game was that in? I only ever played 3 but it always frustrated me how the norns never seemed to learn anything

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Creatures 2 had one hour stupidity syndrome, reward chemicals were too high or not going away fast enough or something so the norns were constantly being rewarded for every action. Made it very hard to teach the little bastards anything :v:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4