Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How many unlockable classes are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Excluding base classes, four

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Another question: is the Superboss at the top of the Tower of Trials in Ku?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Nope.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Naw, that's a regular optional boss. The superboss is unlocked by doing the books quest in Montwise, finding Al in the library afterwards and doing his quest, and then finding him a third time at ???

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Good to know thank you. I'll about 55 hours in and running out of places to explore. I didn't want to Go all the way up the tower just to get dunked on at the top

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mega64 posted:

Octopath 2 Avs

Thank you for these! Snagged Agnea as she is my fav

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

This is really specific but the Throne classed as a Ranger victory sprite. Her pose makes her look like she's emulating a cat paw and it's amazing.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Thank you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thank you that was very helpful

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

fridge corn posted:

Thank you that was very helpful

Posts you can hear.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'd get Ochette as Partitio was taken but I'm broke anyway :v:

Whoever gets it should just have her JP full boost GAOOOO as the subtitle though

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm more partial to "Awoooo, heheh"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's so precious.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This gets me every time

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will say I've been doing chapter 4's of my second party and the selection I have is just... cutscene zone like crazy lol. Hikari's is going on forever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Could you do me one of Castti as a Scholar?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What were people saying about an octopus boss in the desert? I haven’t run into that one I don’t think??

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When does it become viable to kill the rare octopus mobs? I haven't had any luck so far.

Combo posted:

I'm at...39 hours and through 5 character stories, what the heck have you guys been doing? It's not like I'm skipping dialog.

Somehow I'm at ~20 hours and have not progressed past chapter 2 on anyone's stories (and haven't even done chapter 2 for a couple characters (Ochette and Castii).

Probably a significant portion is obsessively using path actions on people.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Use Soulstones for the octopuffs, they always hit

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

When does it become viable to kill the rare octopus mobs? I haven't had any luck so far.

Somehow I'm at ~20 hours and have not progressed past chapter 2 on anyone's stories (and haven't even done chapter 2 for a couple characters (Ochette and Castii).

Probably a significant portion is obsessively using path actions on people.

Oh I did my share of exploring and making my way to high level towns to buy gear and use path actions on people, and I'm factoring in the time I set my clock back during the demo too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I've only killed one octopuff in 40 hours

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, there's quite a few descriptions for moves--especially EX moves, that are completely wrong, huh?

Throne's first EX move indicates that it bestows a positive status effect on the caster, not a negative status effect on targets.
Her second EX move Disguise a single ally for 2 turns, which, at the very least, needs an "as", but yeah using it is definitely a surprise.
Agnea's second EX move targets all, not a "single ally's."

There's definitely more, but yeah, some of these descriptions could use another pass.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Use Soulstones for the octopuffs, they always hit

I tried this early on without success; does it need to be one of the higher quality soulstones? I was probably using regular ones at the time.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mega64 posted:

A bit smaller than the last batch I made, but they should still make for good avatars for anyone that wants them.

e: Replaced with 180x180 models. I resized to 150% in Nearest Neighbor and then cropped off some extra pixels. Still look good to me!

Also if you have any requests, I can try to make it work. Enemy animations are probably simple enough, character sprite animations might take a bit more work due to how the game stores character sprites but I can see what I can do.

These are awesome! I'm going to grab the Throne one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'd be tempted to grab the Hikari one if I wasn't committed to My Brand.

C'est la vie.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Mega64 posted:

A bit smaller than the last batch I made, but they should still make for good avatars for anyone that wants them.

e: Replaced with 180x180 models. I resized to 150% in Nearest Neighbor and then cropped off some extra pixels. Still look good to me!

Also if you have any requests, I can try to make it work. Enemy animations are probably simple enough, character sprite animations might take a bit more work due to how the game stores character sprites but I can see what I can do.

Ooh I'll grab that Ochette one :3

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

absolutely love this game and that it makes me jot down tons of poo poo in a notepad file on my phone in terms of where EX shrines are, where legendary items might be, important locations for sidequest-adjacent poo poo, etc etc. Sure they could have put all of it in an easy-rear end journal but I actually love the sense of discovery and puzzle solving in terms of finding out all those little details and locales. Feel like a very classic RPG thing to do by way of just having offhand details thrown at you, maybe you'll hear about a guy saying he studies octopi in a tavern and then 10 hrs later a sidequest involves some random weirdo saying he needs an octopuff expert. I love this poo poo.

Went into the Abandoned Waterway even though most of my party was a bit below 20, whew what a fight. BARELY beat the boss as I was doing well and then stumbled once near the end, sending me into a frantic loop trying to resurrect people. The devs were right, a lot of the meat lies within those optional dungeons--a few story bosses here and there have tested me but the biggest challenges def are those insanely unique monsters in the depths.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please come to this elegant ball for rich people where we have unleashed dozens of killer eagles and light fixtures. It's funny.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please come to this elegant ball for rich people where we have unleashed dozens of killer eagles and light fixtures. It's funny.

Okay good, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that was funny.

I just started the final chapter and this game feels like it has a lot more heart than the first game did. I know it’s beating a dead horse but the first game felt so disjointed and hollow. Meanwhile, all of my new friends just had a little camping cook out and it was awesome. There was just nothing like that in the first game.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just did this one and when I entered the area all populated with people it was confusing. This is a "dungeon" technically? What's going to attack me? Oh...birds, of course.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Combo posted:

I just did this one and when I entered the area all populated with people it was confusing. This is a "dungeon" technically? What's going to attack me? Oh...birds, of course.

I went through this too, though until a couple posts ago I never questioned why there were killer eagles swooping around the ball.

What a great mental image.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I was wondering why everyone was talking about Throne's final chapter in heavy spoiler quotes, and boy, I wonder no more :stare:. I knew she wasn't going to have a fun-times plotline like Partitio or Agnea but I definitely expected another servant of Vide and not uh, we got. The 1-pip difficulty guy who exists to judo throw you into the next millennium if you try to fight him is very funny though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Only have the final chapter left, so idle thoughts and opinions:

Character: Partitio > Throne > Temenos = Castti = Osvald > Ochette > Agnea > Hikari

Throne was the hardest to place, she could have gone second or just before Ochette. Decided to put her up top since she does have some fun lines and snark. Hikari is probably a bit too strait-laced for me but I'm sure somebody out there loves him.

Story: Partitio > Castti > Temenos > Ochette > Osvald > Throne > Hikari > Agnea

Osvald and Throne could have been higher but I feel like their final chapters fail the landing for me. Agnea's just did not work for me, I disliked almost all the NPCs, though I laughed at 'Dolcinaealand'.

Battle: Partitio > Castti > Throne > Hikari > Agnea > Ochette > Osvald > Temenos

Nobody's really bad but I found myself 'needing' to use Temenos the least. Osvald at least has innate Analyze.

Also look I really like Partitio okay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there any downside to my HIkaru!Arm master to use stronger weapons than the arm master ones?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

You can't use the Armsmaster skills without the relevant weapon equipped, so if you don't care about that, no.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Mega64 posted:

i'd like a Throné avatar if possible please

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just had a weird thing happen. It suddenly became night and I fought some sort of wooly monster that had weird music, and then it became day again after I beat it (it was very easy to beat).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

BurningBeard posted:

I’m by no means using sub par gear and I’ve noticed if I try to dip into areas underleveled, the damage seems artificially inflated. Haven’t tested thoroughly, but it feels like there’s some damage scaling going on when there’s significant difference enough between PCs and enemies. Am I nuts?

It goes the other way too. One star NPCs do pretty much no damage to characters in their mid teens or twenties, for instance.

That reminds me. How many levels is a star worth? I’m guessing about five, since the stories seem to end around fifty, yes?

Something like that.

It's known that there's a hidden multiplier based on your character's current level that also affects all calculations, probably to give leveling some purpose and make your underleveled achievements that much more amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it worth trying to steal/capture/collect from the rare octopus mobs (and can you even)? I've found that I can one-shot them with M-quality Soulstones and they give a lot of XP/JP, but I noticed that Ochette had a 0% chance to capture (which I think implies it's possible to do so).