Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

"The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" is another pro-watch

I just remember the ping pong ball trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Can we also acknowledge how loving based To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar was not even today, but in loving 1995 when it came out? You had Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo- all men who had huge roles as action stars- playing a bunch of drag queens who didn't take poo poo from anyone but were classy AF while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJbr9rkuRM

My wife and I throughly this same thing a few months back. How’d we get so far from 1995. Drag queens are performers, nothing more. The evangelicals have become so powerful and unhinged in this country that they are getting ahead of themselves and saying the quiet part loud. Hopefully people listen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

a guy i used to know got hit in the side of the jaw with a brick from about 10m away through an open car window by a drag queen he was trying to rag on

i am dead serious when i say do not gently caress with drag queens

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

a guy i used to know got hit in the side of the jaw with a brick from about 10m away through an open car window by a drag queen he was trying to rag on

i am dead serious when i say do not gently caress with drag queens

that's really good aim

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly give it a go. If you know anyone have a chat to them about it and I bet they'd be able to give you some advice.

I have a ton of support to do it- I even have a friend who swears she will sell videos. I have people who can coach me and stuff, but I'm more of a 'practice 20 minutes before hit time, and wing it' type of guy.

I just have a beard that I like and don't want to shave, and have a weird aversion to bearded drag. I just need to do it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have a ton of support to do it- I even have a friend who swears she will sell videos. I have people who can coach me and stuff, but I'm more of a 'practice 20 minutes before hit time, and wing it' type of guy.

I just have a beard that I like and don't want to shave, and have a weird aversion to bearded drag. I just need to do it.

The beard grows back whenever you want it to. Go have fun.

(It’ll itch like a motherfucker for a few days)

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

will donate a turkish coffee set (with ibrik) and coffee to encourage you. no pressure though bro

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Never really knew much about drag beyond "people crossdress" and never thought about it much one way or the other. Then during Covid my BIL and his husband stayed with us a few months because they all lost their jobs (NYC theatre / dance industry). Both of them are big into the drag scene there, not performers but always at the shows and support a lot of it / work with a lot of theatre folks that like to do it on the side.

After like 2 months of watching Drag Race with them I am convinced that Drag is basically another variation of pro wrestling. Call me crazy but it ticks the same boxes for me. Some athletic and some charismatic individuals (the best are both), overwrought drama, stage effects, etc. When I said this to my BIL he started laughing and was really like "ah yep that totally tracks".

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bulletsponge13 posted:

don't be a drag just be a queen

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I stand by the statement that anyone anti-drag should be required to attend Drag Bingo.

My wife and I went with a friend couple of hers to a queer (their title, not mine) burlesque show that featured trans and drag performers. My wife's friends met as working in the state prison. Jeremy was having a great time, but was really reserved and quiet after. Not bigotted or hateful, but Jeremy is a cis hetero who works in a prison, and has all the normal biased baggage that comes with it. They are huge in music and concerts, and he's never demonstrated any lovely behavior (or else I wouldn't go. Her friends are not my friends, and being an adult in America gives me the right to free association). No issues with LGBT that we knew of. The ladies ran to the bathroom, and I decided to check on him.

"That was awesome. That one chick was crazy hot."

Awkward, and quietly, he said, "Yeah, but I kept wondering which had dicks." I could tell homedude was a little too caught up on trying to figure his attractions out, and wasn't sure how to process his hang up.

"I just assumed all of them. Doesn't make my boner any weirder, or them less hot."

Laughs, "Really?"

"Hell yeah. poo poo, I ain't gay, but that short haired chick was hot enough to top. Emily can hold the camera or leave the room."

His wife texted mine and said that on the ride home, he was all excited, and talking about going to the next one. She also said he was noticeably more comfortable and open on the ride home.

"Jeremy said to ask Mike about his weird boner."

"Which one?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't have much experience with the drag community personally, but nearly everyone I've known involved in the scene has been fairly heavily into 1) physical fitness, 2) assertiveness and confidence, and 3) very sturdy high heels.

It's always amusing when some idiot assumes they'd be an easy target.

The very first question I asked this afternoon when someone told me proud boys were protesting a drag event in NYC was "how many survived?"

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

bulletsponge13 posted:

I stand by the statement that anyone anti-drag should be required to attend Drag Bingo.

My wife and I went with a friend couple of hers to a queer (their title, not mine) burlesque show that featured trans and drag performers. My wife's friends met as working in the state prison. Jeremy was having a great time, but was really reserved and quiet after. Not bigotted or hateful, but Jeremy is a cis hetero who works in a prison, and has all the normal biased baggage that comes with it. They are huge in music and concerts, and he's never demonstrated any lovely behavior (or else I wouldn't go. Her friends are not my friends, and being an adult in America gives me the right to free association). No issues with LGBT that we knew of. The ladies ran to the bathroom, and I decided to check on him.

Awkward, and quietly, he said, "Yeah, but I kept wondering which had dicks." I could tell homedude was a little too caught up on trying to figure his attractions out, and wasn't sure how to process his hang up.

"I just assumed all of them. Doesn't make my boner any weirder, or them less hot."

Laughs, "Really?"

"Hell yeah. poo poo, I ain't gay, but that short haired chick was hot enough to top. Emily can hold the camera or leave the room."

His wife texted mine and said that on the ride home, he was all excited, and talking about going to the next one. She also said he was noticeably more comfortable and open on the ride home.

"Which one?"

You're an awesome person :)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Drag shows and clubs are one of the positives for living in the Bay Area. The Star Wars shows are awesome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Here in DC, we have this annual Drag Race down 17th Street near Dupont Circle, and it's a treat to watch. Not only do these queens show up in awesome outfits, but THEY. ARE. loving. FAST. There is nothing cooler (or more intimidating if you're insecure) than watching some 6' tall drag queen booking it at like 15 mph while wearing heels. I don't know how long I could run 15 mph in running shoes but it wouldn't be nearly as long.

Can we also acknowledge how loving based To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar was not even today, but in loving 1995 when it came out? You had Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo- all men who had huge roles as action stars- playing a bunch of drag queens who didn't take poo poo from anyone but were classy AF while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJbr9rkuRM

This movie and RuPaul's Drag Race should be shown on the TVs in the prisons where they lock up the MAGA chuds and Proud Boys.

On endless loop.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CBJSprague24 posted:

This movie and RuPaul's Drag Race should be shown on the TVs in the prisons where they lock up the MAGA chuds and Proud Boys.

On endless loop.

only if they also include this masterpiece of cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFoRH-VtFO4

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've always what happened to the executives of places that infamously crash and burn, but didn't end up in jail. I just always assumed other execs look at that and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you might not be responsible for lovely finance corp inc. going under but lol I aint putting you as "chief accounts executive".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Defenestrategy posted:

I've always what happened to the executives of places that infamously crash and burn, but didn't end up in jail. I just always assumed other execs look at that and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you might not be responsible for lovely finance corp inc. going under but lol I aint putting you as "chief accounts executive".

Oh my sweet summer child.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

And yeah, seconded on the "I don't want to do my socializing at work, with people I work for/with". I would much rather have a return to actually having proper third places.

Back when I worked at Grand Canyon, you pretty much had to socialize with people from work because there was hardly anyone else for fifty miles :v:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Here in DC, we have this annual Drag Race down 17th Street near Dupont Circle, and it's a treat to watch. Not only do these queens show up in awesome outfits, but THEY. ARE. loving. FAST. There is nothing cooler (or more intimidating if you're insecure) than watching some 6' tall drag queen booking it at like 15 mph while wearing heels. I don't know how long I could run 15 mph in running shoes but it wouldn't be nearly as long.

My old roommate used to go to this all the time. I should make sure to check it out before i move back to Canada.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Defenestrategy posted:

e: similarly to "oh my sweet summer child", lol. after a certain point you fail upwards

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

bulletsponge13 posted:

Laughs, "Really?"

"Which one?"

This story made me smile :)

Please tell us about your weird boners in detail.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Midjack posted:

Knoxville, TN had the "Drag Race Down Gay Street" for a number of years but I'm betting the local cops are under orders to book anyone who shows up this year.

Knoxville had a long history of crossdressers if suttrees anything to go by. Nice to know we're winding things back to before the even interstates got built

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/before-collapse-of-silicon-valley-bank-the-fed-spotted-big-problems-20230320-p5ctgy.html

quote:

The Fed repeatedly warned the bank that it had problems, according to a person familiar with the matter.

In 2021, a Fed review of the growing bank found serious weaknesses in how it was handling key risks. Supervisors at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, which oversaw Silicon Valley Bank, issued six citations. Those warnings, known as “matters requiring attention” and “matters requiring immediate attention,” flagged that the firm was doing a bad job of ensuring that it would have enough easy-to-tap cash on hand in the event of trouble.

But the bank did not fix its vulnerabilities. By July 2022, Silicon Valley Bank was in a full supervisory review — getting a more careful look — and was ultimately rated deficient for governance and controls. It was placed under a set of restrictions that prevented it from growing through acquisitions. Last autumn, staff members from the San Francisco Fed met with senior leaders at the firm to talk about their ability to gain access to enough cash in a crisis and possible exposure to losses as interest rates rose.

It became clear to the Fed that the firm was using bad models to determine how its business would fare as the central bank raised rates: Its leaders were assuming that higher interest revenue would substantially help their financial situation as rates went up, but that was out of step with reality....

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Don't worry, I'm sure nothing will be learned from this by the people that did it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ron DeSantis is a funny guy.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

"Spiritually, I feel magically connected to all of the swing counties in the Midwest. Why, you could say that my soul is that of a steel worker from the Mahoning Valley, an electrician from Erie, an auto worker from Toledo, a small resort operator from the Wisconsin Dells, or a logger from Northern Minnesota. . ."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Platystemon posted:

...is he saying Floridians don't have values like attending church or earning their keep? They don't of course, but that sure sounds like he's insulting the state he's governor of.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...is he saying Floridians don't have values like attending church or earning their keep? They don't of course, but that sure sounds like he's insulting the state he's governor of.

He's pandering directly to the first primary states knowing that Florida is a lock for him.

The man and his policies are actively despised by 3/4 of Floridians but they still will vote R over D 60-40.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Platystemon posted:

People of the land. The common clay of the midwest.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jisaacraymond/status/1637823982161281024?t=iyjfz4Sqe2nLffendmVYuw&s=19

Considering it starts with "President Donald J. Trump", I think I can make assumptions about the content until the midweek Popehat review (likely just gutteral screaming).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

“ ‘Struggling rust-belt evangelical’ is my spirit animal.”

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Any reports of the "gathering of the MAGAs" yet?

I thought the many countless bigly supporters were going to form Voltron or some poo poo to protest the possibility of Trump being charged.

I was really hoping for a gathering of the Juggalos, but MAGA version.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Any reports of the "gathering of the MAGAs" yet?

Most I've seen:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1637809504581550081

Donnie backed off the Tuesday thing when it became obvious he was just yelling at his teevee again. Won't see anything until any indictment is announced, if it ever is. Apparently Fulton County in Georgia is doing their early prep too in case the MAGA gathering starts. But lol if chuds decide to go bring guns and poo poo to a militarized NYPD cordon.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Most I've seen:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1637809504581550081

Donnie backed off the Tuesday thing when it became obvious he was just yelling at his teevee again. Won't see anything until any indictment is announced, if it ever is. Apparently Fulton County in Georgia is doing their early prep too in case the MAGA gathering starts. But lol if chuds decide to go bring guns and poo poo to a militarized NYPD cordon.

I'm torn between wanting nothing to happen and wanting a demonstration that gets shut down in a hilarious manner.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ASAPI posted:

I'm torn between wanting nothing to happen and wanting a demonstration that gets shut down in a hilarious manner.

Less political violence plz kthnx. We don't need any reason for all the slob fascists in this country to get any more riled up than they already are.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have a feeling that if they tried to 6 January Redux, we will end up with more bodies. I don't think the pigs will be as easy as last time.

I still can't believe only one of them got shot. I'm fairly certain I would have dropped more.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bulletsponge13 posted:

I still can't believe only one of them got shot. I'm fairly certain I would have dropped more.

It’s because the rioters were white.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Less political violence plz kthnx. We don't need any reason for all the slob fascists in this country to get any more riled up than they already are.

Not violence, just enough protesting rowdiness that gets the boot they love to lick turned against them.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

It’s because the rioters were white.

It's cuz the cops at the Capitol were worried the protestets were armed and would shoot back and it'd turn into a firefight.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
NYPD would gun down a dozen innocent bystanders in the excitement.