Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Jpb is trolling. Learned a while ago to put them on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cops are tasked to maintain public order and prevent these groups fighting each other. The police union's response. Terfs completely overshadowed by 20 guys in balaclavas. Le epic troll!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I’d like to see that recruitment ad for the navy

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

Cops are tasked to maintain public order and prevent these groups fighting each other. The police union's response. Terfs completely overshadowed by 20 guys in balaclavas. Le epic troll!

I’m not a Victorian so I’m not sure what the h*ck this response is about

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i read a lot of slackbastard and tom tanuki trying to figure out why the neo nazi movement is so much more organized in victoria. theres a serious vocal contingent of neo nazis in logan but i cant remember the last time they bothered to mobilize in a group to attend something like this in brisbane

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

quote jbps awful posts if you think ignoring bad posters is cringe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i read a lot of slackbastard and tom tanuki trying to figure out why the neo nazi movement is so much more organized in victoria. theres a serious vocal contingent of neo nazis in logan but i cant remember the last time they bothered to mobilize in a group to attend something like this in brisbane

Victoria's got a larger population, right? Could just be that.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i dont think thats adequately sufficient but i assume thats a factor. the question i have wrt that is does nsw actually not have an appropriately large population of neo nazis to be able to mobilise public demonstrations like those in melbourne? if so, why not?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lock down leftovers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Nazis that keep doing photo ops in Melbourne all seem to be pals that get along and haven't started rooting each other's wives and splitting over arguments in cod, give it time.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

more greeks for them to be angry at?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty good that the terfs are being publicly lumped in with the Nazis and a liberal politician (who is now facing an expulsion vote) in Victoria.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

Australia and China aren't the only countries in the world and if there is a war between the two you can be sure as poo poo others will be involved.

This is my point. Our defensive strategy relies not on military procurement but on creating strong bonds with nations that could crush us, so that they have an incentive to protect us if someone else decides to get grabby. With that in mind why are we only yoking ourselves to the US and why are we funnelling huge amounts of money to them while antagonising China?

EoinCannon posted:

It's pretty good that the terfs are being publicly lumped in with the Nazis and a liberal politician (who is now facing an expulsion vote) in Victoria.

I'm not even sure "lumped in" is the right description, the terf to fasc pipeline is pretty well developed.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

I'm not even sure "lumped in" is the right description, the terf to fasc pipeline is pretty well developed.

I should have said some sections of the media are lumping them in together. Hopefully the association will be made in the general public that may not have thought about this stuff much

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

seeing them trying to rationalize how nazis keep turning up at terf events is wild.

having nazis and terfs are obviously still bad though, but the silver lining is that this event got a lot of eyes on the fact that they exist.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 20, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Lmao that the Labor finance minister is now starting to softly walk back minimum wage rising in line with inflation.

God, they haven't learned a loving thing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

EoinCannon posted:

You repeat yourself

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Another shot:

https://twitter.com/akaWACA/status/1636912565870788609?s=20

Cops aside, could melbourne antifa take these guys?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Another shot:

There were 30 of them and like 300 people trying to attack them. I think the 10:1 would have carried it for the good team and the Nazis would be dead or in hospital.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Two things can both be incredibly lovely, hth.

America's genocides being atrocities in no way makes China's genocides any less.

The difference is that only one of these countries' governments will permit you to publish a book, a newspaper article or even a Twitter post about its historical and ongoing atrocities.

hooman posted:

This is my point. Our defensive strategy relies not on military procurement but on creating strong bonds with nations that could crush us, so that they have an incentive to protect us if someone else decides to get grabby. With that in mind why are we only yoking ourselves to the US and why are we funnelling huge amounts of money to them while antagonising China?

Because (see above) the US is a free country that shares our liberal values, while China is a totalitarian dictatorship.

If the US and China go to war and the US loses - and assuming this outcome somehow avoids a nuclear holocaust anyway - the future is going to become bleaker for Australia irrespective of whether we have or have not "antagonised" China by picking the other side in a conflict. That's the same reason Japan, South Korea and many countries in SE Asia are also strengthening ties with the US, and the same reason Poland and the Baltics are the most vocal European supporters of Ukraine.

I have no clue whether the Aukus sub deal is specifically a good idea or not, but I have no trouble seeing why, in general, we should clearly be siding with the US over China and doing it sooner rather than later.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Another shot:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/world-news/nazis-not-marching-in-brisbane-for-some-reason/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

What is interesting is that these brazen displays of neo-Nazism aren’t taking place in stereotypical ‘redneck’ cities Perth or Brisbane – where majority of anti-fascist activism actually doesn’t take place on Twitter, and may be considered ‘problematic’.

Southern cities are today being advised to adopt a ‘more Queensland approach’ to their activism, by fostering an environment where nazis might not feel that comfortable showing their faces in public – out of fear of ‘getting fasi’d’ – as they say in South Brisbane.

Only a deep and abiding sense of state-level cultural cringe could lead someone to the conclusion that, Actually, WA or Queensland are less right-wing than Victoria

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

Only a deep and abiding sense of state-level cultural cringe could lead someone to the conclusion that, Actually, WA or Queensland are less right-wing than Victoria

It’s satire, champ

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So with these bank failures, it seems to me that the shakiest and most scandal prone banks are going first.

Is AMP covered by the Government? Because if not, I would be taking my money out of them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

freebooter posted:

Maybe not Queensland as a whole but Brisbane itself is pretty drat left wing at the moment. I mean remind me again which city elected 3 federal greens MPs at the last election?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Comstar posted:

So with these bank failures, it seems to me that the shakiest and most scandal prone banks are going first.

Is AMP covered by the Government? Because if not, I would be taking my money out of them.

https://www.apra.gov.au/list-of-authorised-deposit-taking-institutions-covered-under-financial-claims-scheme

AMP is right there

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gotta love it when the Libs eat up their own Terf Nazi trash

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe not Queensland as a whole but Brisbane itself is pretty drat left wing at the moment. I mean remind me again which city elected 3 federal greens MPs at the last election?

Also I've posted about it before but I can't remember the last time we had an honest to god group of nazis marching around the city. They might have had some in the Sov cit marches but the last time I saw neo-nazis out and basically marching was November 2015.

There has been a few of 'em skulking in the shadows doing banner/leaflet drops or like 4 of them on that bridge over the Pacific near Movie World but they have had a much reduced presence in Brisbane proper for the better part of a decade.

I wonder if Brisbane is just so small that it's hard to remain incognito and the fash typically don't keep their job unless they are a cop or something, but even then.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recoome posted:

It’s satire, champ

It's bad satire, because the actual answer to the leading jokey question in the headline is "they already have a right-wing government"

The Lord Bude posted:

Let's check back in on the comparative righteousness of Brisbane and Melbourne after the Voice referendum

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Recoome posted:

Also I've posted about it before but I can't remember the last time we had an honest to god group of nazis marching around the city. They might have had some in the Sov cit marches but the last time I saw neo-nazis out and basically marching was November 2015.

There were quite a few in WA around the late 2000's - can't remember what it was specifically over but they were there. Just not in blackshirts and willingly doing salutes in the open, but they were there. Right wing rhetoric fanned by the Murdoch empire is to blame really. The mass media not just in Australia, but in general is a loving joke right now and it's enabling hate speech left right and centre.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recoome posted:

There has been a few of 'em skulking in the shadows doing banner/leaflet drops or like 4 of them on that bridge over the Pacific near Movie World but they have had a much reduced presence in Brisbane proper for the better part of a decade.

I wonder if Brisbane is just so small that it's hard to remain incognito and the fash typically don't keep their job unless they are a cop or something, but even then.

I actually don't know what the answer is to why Victoria (even compared to NSW, not just QLD) has such a prominent Nazi presence but someone posed the question on Twitter after the weekend and the most "common sense" answer (i.e., maybe this is totally wrong and I'm open to alternative suggestions) is that a more left-wing government/society breeds a more extreme right-wing grassroots response.

It's worth pointing it that it's still, like, just a few dozen fuckwits showing up. Not that it shouldn't go vociferously opposed at every step, but it's not exactly a beer hall putsch.

edit - does Melbourne possibly just have more of a public protest culture? In general? Probably a bit hard to tell through the skewed lens of the lockdown years.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 20, 2023

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think the Queensland stereotypes are outrageously out of date considering the greens representation we have and how we almost elected a weed party senator whereas comparatively the Victorians elected a Palmer Senator.

The Melbourne lockdown created more Nazis and a significant population of Facebook group crazies whereas Brisbane did not have such an opportunity.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mind you, back in the day the groups that became the United Patriot's Front or whatever were strongest in Perth and Melbourne. Maybe it's just the relevant parts of the country and everyone skips over Brisbane/Sydney as they are shitholes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

It's bad satire, because the actual answer to the leading jokey question in the headline is "they already have a right-wing government"

Let's check back in on the comparative righteousness of Brisbane and Melbourne after the Voice referendum

Like not to kick of the Interstate War II but whats with the huge TERF culture down in Melbourne/Victoria? Like it seems to infest a lot of different parties, including the Greens.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the melbourne nazis have long been the most organised in the country for whatever reason, even well before covid

Recoome posted:

Like not to kick of the Interstate War II but whats with the huge TERF culture down in Melbourne/Victoria? Like it seems to infest a lot of different parties, including the Greens.

unimelb is probably something to do with it, there's a lot of prominent transphobe academics there, dating back decades

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Reactionaries gonna react.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

A lot of what became the Australian cooker movement began as an anti-Dan Andrews thing. Even before covid. Then obviously covid, big international fascist radicalisation machine, and it’s no surprise this is what we see.

Recoome posted:

It’s satire, champ

satire based on the conclusion freebooter described, legend

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'd say the Perth contingent is mainly down to bogans, boredom and meth.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

freebooter posted:

You're right, there's no fash presence at marches in places with right wing governments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

Like not to kick of the Interstate War II

There was never a formal cease fire in IW 1.