Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I listen to tons of weird poo poo, I’m sure a lot of people in this thread do. 100 gecs isn’t some avant garde art project, it doesn’t even rise to DARKSIDE levels of sometimes being semi unlistenable annoying wankery. I personally just find them annoying :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

I listen to tons of weird poo poo, I’m sure a lot of people in this thread do. 100 gecs isn’t some avant garde art project, it doesn’t even rise to DARKSIDE levels of sometimes being semi unlistenable annoying wankery. I personally just find them annoying :shrug:

I think that’s fine. 100 gecs is an amalgation of tons of stuff that personally give me nostalgia and joy. Like it’s silly as gently caress and hits all the reference points I love in music since the nu metal days. It’s just ridiculous and over the top and I’m on board. Like when a song just randomly turns into like a death metal grind core thing for the breakdown. Or when suddenly you get nu metal style grooves. Or just a silly ska song about a frog or removing your tooth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i am a moron posted:

I listen to tons of weird poo poo, I’m sure a lot of people in this thread do. 100 gecs isn’t some avant garde art project, it doesn’t even rise to DARKSIDE levels of sometimes being semi unlistenable annoying wankery.

Agree

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah 100 gecs is just really fun and uniquely talented in their ability to musically speak in a billion 00s teenage tropes and they use their talent to craft, well, jokes that are written in the language of music.

They’re like Olivia Tremor Control if they were into the 00s instead of the 60s and into making lofi jpeg shitposts instead of art installations of crowns and birds.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 20, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It sucks they take so long to release music because they’ll probably be their 30s by the time they release their 4th album (also 20 minutes long) and they’re probably going to become very boring like every other act who’s youth is a part of their musical identity. (Like Deerhunter, now that this thread brought them up.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm listening to the 100 gecs album now and I think I would just call it "Modern Punk" or something. Like not the specific sound of Punk (except for the one song), but the attitude. Reminds me of The Clash where they kind of just do whatever style they feel like, but it's still "punk". It's really not aggressively weird or artsy enough to be called "anti-music" or avant garde. It's just deliberately noisy and chaotic and "annoying" which I mean in the nicest possible way.

Also, I don't like it. But I do think I get it.

(e: I don't really like The Clash either, so if that comparison is wildly off, so be it)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 20, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Automata 10 Pack posted:

They’re like Olivia Tremor Control if they were into the 00s instead of the 60s and into making lofi jpeg shitposts instead of art installations of crowns and birds.

That's actually a really solid comparison

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

new M83 good

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
100 gecs are just really good pop songwriters. If you listen to something like Hand Crushed by a Mallet, it's a great pop song. poo poo, so is Hollywood Baby. They just use a different set of sounds to get there than like Mag Bay or CHVRCHES

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew are just really good rappers. If you listen to something like Rap Like A Pirate, it's a great rap song. poo poo, so is It’s All About The Booty. They just use a different set of sounds to get there than like Nas or Kendrick Lamar

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I will hear no ill spoken of the good captain.

Now if you want to talk poo poo about MC Paul Barman I'm all in

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

captainOrbital posted:

Oasis are just really good pop songwriters. If you listen to something like Wonderwall, , it's a great pop song. poo poo, so is D'ya Know What I Mean. They just use a different set of sounds to get there than like Blur or Pulp

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
100 gecs is a fun listen. Wasn't sure what to expect. Probably not the thing I'm going to add to my permanent playlists, but feels like the kinda thing that I'd hear playing in H&M and be boppin' to.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Pitchfork lineup is out. Looks pretty solid, no Postal Service though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They must be at Lolla instead.

E: Or not, apparently! And they don’t really fit in the typical Riot Fest lineup.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 21, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Death Cab has played Riot Fest a couple of times and a ton of their headliners are nostalgia acts so they'd fit in fine

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Is Phoenix indie? They're on boutique labels, played for NPR, and a surprising number of people I know haven't heard of them.

Anyways what I want to do is to complain that they've gone from tracks to which you want to dance & bittersweet ballads to recent albums being (serious?) takes on technology and religion. Every other song has been hearing John Lennon saying "Number Nine" in my head.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Is Phoenix indie? They're on boutique labels, played for NPR, and a surprising number of people I know haven't heard of them.

Anyways what I want to do is to complain that they've gone from tracks to which you want to dance & bittersweet ballads to recent albums being (serious?) takes on technology and religion. Every other song has been hearing John Lennon saying "Number Nine" in my head.

No they are not indie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sonically they are absolutely most people's understanding of indie. "Indie = independent" is as long gone of a definition as "alternative = alternative to the mainstream."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sonically they are absolutely most people's understanding of indie. "Indie = independent" is as long gone of a definition as "alternative = alternative to the mainstream."

Yeah, 15 years ago a friend was annoyed with my interest in indie music and asked me to identify how it's categorized, expecting to trip me up in trying to describe the sound or style. I simply told him, it means that the band is on an independent record label. But a lot of those bands that continued to have success have long since moved onto major labels, like Arcade Fire.

A quick look at the wikipedia for alternative says that it's just another term for independent music, with distinction from mainstream acts. So maybe it's just bands that don't generally appear on top 40 radio?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'd absolutely consider Phoenix an indie band.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if we only posted about truly "indie" acts in this thread, you'd just see people posting about acts that they have heard of that no one else in this thread has heard of, because basically anyone with enough popularity to wind up on even the smallest festival text is signed to a "major" label these days

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

whos that broooown posted:

Unwound reunites after 20 years and still loving rips. Saw them in Philly on Thursday.

why the gently caress were the vocals so low? they were excellent in terms of musicianship, but barely being able to hear justin was a real bummer; considering it was their second night there, i can only assume that's how they wanted it. kinda bummed that the wednesday crowd got "go to dallas and take a left" and we got "arboretum." overall happy, though.

100 gecs fans, do y'all like brokencyde and dot dot curve? because that's what they sound like to me

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
brokencyde was funny to listen to ironically like 3 times

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gone Fashing posted:

brokencyde was funny to listen to ironically like 3 times

They used to tour with Millionaires, who were a good joke band

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
lol yeah millionaires was like mid 2000s myspace in band form

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still have "Alcohol" on my Playlist

The fact that they were accidentally electroclash was incredible. I wish I'd been able to interview them

https://youtu.be/AOVK_iQvvsw

Feels like they would have been huge if they'd had a label behind them. If nothing else they beat Ke$ha to market

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yegor Letov is an underappreciated musical genius. This fan music video is perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcl1hss_MI

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Okay, you may be too old for 100 gecs, but were you too old for Neil Cicierega’s mouth sound albums ten years ago? It’s kinda the same thing, spiritually speaking.

woof this makes me hate 100 gecs

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
lol yeah a lot of the 40 year olds in here are, well, not "damning with faint praise" exactly but something close to it

BonoMan posted:

100 gecs is a fun listen. Wasn't sure what to expect. Probably not the thing I'm going to add to my permanent playlists, but feels like the kinda thing that I'd hear playing in H&M and be boppin' to.

lolling at this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't decide which new M83 song is my favourite but it might be this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG2c824nrE

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Killing Joke have a new single out and it kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4lLQAbI-8E

New Night Tapes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgmN2PBicQ

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 23, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't decide which new M83 song is my favourite but it might be this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG2c824nrE

It gets better the more I listen to it, Deceiver and Earth To Sea are both just incredible though. Oh and Amnesia. And the title track. Also it’s far from my favorite but the idea of “M83 does Beck’s Sea Change” on Radar Far Gone is super cool too

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Thanks M83, Fever Ray, and Dry Cleaning for some great album covers

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

M83 sounds like if Beach House were obsessed with nostalgia.

By this I mean Hurry Up, We're dreaming is a very fun album.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Earth to Sea and Laura are amazing.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Today is International Caroline Rose Day!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

And the title track. Also it’s far from my favorite but

But it's by far the funnest song on the album!

Makes me smile.

e: Also feeling Sunny Boy

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 24, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The new Lankum album is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Black Country, New Road live album of new material is good.