Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I personally don’t use the word and I understand that it’s used differently elsewhere in the world, but if it’s causing this much stress where every time feedback is requested that’s all anyone can talk about then just loving ban it in GBS because clearly everyone’s opinion on what constitutes proper use and intent is going to differ. If you’re that butthurt about not being able to use a single word then I don’t know what to tell you about how to navigate life in general. If it is that important to you to be able to say it just go to FYAD or IZ and go hog wild.

I don't see any reason to use it, at all, and I'm Australian. What I don't like is the addendum of "but you can go to another subforum to use it". That shouldn't be a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't see any reason to use it, at all, and I'm Australian. What I don't like is the addendum of "but you can go to another subforum to use it". That shouldn't be a thing!

FYAD and IZ would melt down the likes of which this world has never known.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Ok well this is veering into discussing other forums so let's end this line of discussion please

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Let it be known that when I am elected moderator, I will bring the other minor subforums to task and force them to bend the knee to their rightful GBS rulers.

GBS is what made these forums awesome and I will make GBS awesome again!

MGAA! MGAA!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Okay well, then in GBS we should be able to use any slur or hateful remark or sentiment that gets a pass anywhere else on the site. This is the general forum so it should be a general melting pot of ideas (maybe even a marketplace of free ideas) so we shouldn't disallow anything that makes people from other places feel weird.

Honestly, my question is what exactly did y'all hope to achieve from this thread? Everything that has been brought up has been kind of ignored or just sort of dismissed. You're asking for feedback, but like, on what? The only things mentioned in the OP were "discussions of the c-word" (so please don't act surprised folks brought that up) and megathreads (which is a thing that usually gets discussed internally in megathreads about times to reboot it etc).

What about GBS specifically? It's a small slice of a larger forum. GBS is just a general posting place and basically the only thing you could do that is special is turn up or down the reatio on the "serious/shitpost" dial. That and entertaining grudges against specific posters.

GBS is just a subforum. Every time there's been big issues with subforum moderation people straight up make threads to call out mods and then there's probations, arguments and (usually) resolution.

So, what were you, the mods, hoping to hear about here?

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 20, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Sid Vicious posted:

Ahhh man I’m a professional artist now check it out!!! If you click the picture it’ll take you to my own website!!!

Make Sid the official GBS artist!!!!!

Actually Spinz makes quite amazing art, a lot of it made just for GBS, and has had some extremely popular threads here based on it, over the last few years. Well, she made threads until she kept getting frequently banned, for nothing more IMO than writing about her own life, including some funny anecdotes relating to her past sex life.

A small number of considered suggestions:

1. Get some guidelines in place so the above sort of mod/op/idiot king/whatever harassment of female posters ceases. Spinz was not 'tugging' in her posts, and believe me, as a chronic tugger I can tell the difference. As has been pointed out by multiple male goons over the last few months, it seemed to be purely sexist, i.e. male goons can mention funny memories from their sex lives, women goons can't, or they get harshly punished, probated so often, and escalatingly so, that they basically give up on posting in GBS at all (this is where Spinz has been for about the last ~2-3 months).
  2. If anyone posts here whose name is unknown in GBS, one can assume they probably aren't a GBS poster. And there's a good chance they're an alt of an account from the troll forum we don't talk about and I won't name here because we "don't want to start anything". They destroyed QCS too, to the extent that almost every new thread there has to be almost immediately locked, that has been the case for months. So complaining about them there achieves nothing but further harassment. And, not coincidentally IMO, they hate Spinz and have done for years. Anyway, IMO people who don't post in GBS (ignoring occasional snarky abuse, trolling and "hahaha our forum is better than yours"-type posts) should have no say in policy changes. None whatever. Some of them are our literal enemies and want nothing good for GBS, as even a small study of their posts elsewhere soon shows (of course being lying amoral trolls their b*tchy alts here will claim otherwise til they're blue in the face). FFS don't let those with primarily ill-will for GBS be influential in any changes to it. And no, putting our heads in the sand doesn't solve the problem, that would be asking for it.
  3. Other than the above, and the odd rare other change no doubt posted by others here, ffs leave GBS alone. About all who post here regularly (with the caveats above), love GBS. It is a miraculous treasure, it's amazing it can exist at all. IMO it is fragile. Some have tried to end it completely, with some success occasionally, witness e.g. the so-called 'archived' old GBS' subforum. Let's celebrate what we have and make it a bit better, not f*ck with it til it breaks or all the good posters leave.

No correspondence will be entered into etc. as I have a life.

I love you all (well, most of you, and thoughts & prayers for the others).

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 20, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I kinda don’t see how we discuss any major issues within GBS without talking about the forums at large, especially considering that most of the recent drama bombs were caused by non-GBS posters making a stink about GBS because they travel around looking for things to complain about.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i think it's a forums wide initiative to have always open feedback threads in major subs. it's a good idea imo to have ongoing community feedback. it's not just about oval office and mega threads lol.

suggestion: more iks, rotated regularly, maybe selected by lot like in fyad or whatever. mods should be rotated regularly as well but i understand that the logistics of selecting mods for gbs isn't as simple as many smaller subs. still, maybe 1 year max or something would reduce burnout and keep the mods representative of the community

a pile of iks from across gbs can be selected by lot every 3 months or something

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

Actually Spinz makes quite amazing art, a lot of it made just for GBS, and has had some extremely popular threads here based on it, over the last few years. Well, she made threads until she kept getting frequently banned, for nothing more IMO than writing about her own life, including some funny anecdotes relating to her past sex life.

1. Get some guidelines in place so the above sort of mod/op/idiot king/whatever harassment of female posters ceases. Spinz was not 'tugging' in her posts, and believe me, as a chronic tugger I can tell the difference. As has been pointed out by multiple male goons over the last few months, it seemed to be purely sexist, i.e. male goons can mention funny memories from their sex lives, women goons can't, or they get harshly punished, probated so often, and escalatingly so, that they basically give up on posting in GBS at all (this is where Spinz has been for about the last ~2-3 months).
  2. If anyone posts here whose name is unknown in GBS, one can assume they probably aren't a GBS poster. And there's a good chance they're an alt of an account from the troll forum we don't talk about and I won't name here because we "don't want to start anything". They destroyed QCS too, to the extent that almost every new thread there has to be almost immediately locked, that has been the case for months. So complaining aout them there achieves nothing but further harassment. And, not coincidentally IMO, they hate Spinz and have done for years. Anyway, IMO people who don't post in GBS (ignoring occasional snarky abuse, trolling and "haha our forum is better than yours"-type posts) should haveno say in policy changes. None whatever. Some of them are our enemies and want nothing good for GBS, as even a small study of their posts elsewhere soon shows (pf course being lying amoral trolls their b*tchy alts here will claim otherwise til they're blue in the face). FFS don't let those with primarily ill-will for GBS be influential in any changes to it. And no, putting our ehads in the sand doesn't solve the problem, it's asking for it.
  3. Other than the above, and the odd rare other change no doubt posted by others here, ffs leave GBS alone. About all who post here regularly (with the caveats above), love GBS. It is a miraculous treasure, it's amazing it can exist at all. IMO it is fragile. Some have tried to end it completely, with some success occasionally, witness e.g. the so-called 'archived' old GBS' subforum. Let's celebrate what we have and make it a bit better, not f*ck with it til it breaks or all the good posters leave.

This is a good post.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

a pile of iks from across gbs can be selected by lot every 3 months or something

Throw me into the IK sex pile for I am an idiot

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a whole bunch of iks is a good low risk way to take the pressure off mods who say reading a lot of posts is a lot of work (a somewhat justifiable excuse, gbs is very active compared to other non politics subs) and can make context reading and warning more viable instead of button press word filter style moderation

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Make me IK if the suburban dad thread so I can change the title

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Want to pop in and say I see the comments, I just want to be in a space where I have time to give thoughtful responses rather than giving you just whatever poo poo leaks from my brain at that exact moment

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I also want to say that I know I might seem like I'm hating on the mod team and being harsh but I actually really like GBS, and I appreciate the work y'all do. It's difficult to moderate a bunch of poo poo-flinging spider monkeys, and you do good work.

If you want something tangible that isn't related to what I have said, please lock down and probe wildly any time there's a thread with any remotely controversial topic where suddenly a hundred people no one has seen post start posting their "ironic hot takes" which are just some sort of -ism under the guise of "heh shitposting".

Shitposting is an art. Posting racist or homophobic or whatever poo poo but going "but I'm not serious" ain't it. Look at the Harry Potter game thread for a good example tbh.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a whole bunch of iks is a good low risk way to take the pressure off mods who say reading a lot of posts is a lot of work (a somewhat justifiable excuse, gbs is very active compared to other non politics subs) and can make context reading and warning more viable instead of button press word filter style moderation

IK roulette. But in the background, so you log in one day and pow, you got buttons and a lot of PMs saying "Wow, sucks to be you"

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Want to pop in and say I see the comments, I just want to be in a space where I have time to give thoughtful responses rather than giving you just whatever poo poo leaks from my brain at that exact moment

What you don't post like that all the time?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
AARD VARKMAN randomly made me the IK of the 5000 Page Thread and he eventually left for the greener pastures of posting gross food I guess but that's let that thread be its own thing for a while with no fuss. I almost had to probe BBC once that was about it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
More IKs is the way to go imo, but also make Smugworth a mod

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Can we just ban all the olive haters already? No one will weep for them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Kalamata or go home

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Gbs is a fun place to post jokes with your friends

Sometimes a random dumb rear end in a top hat shits up the place for a while until they get banned but the process takes like a year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

*edited for length*

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah I kinda don’t see how we discuss any major issues within GBS without talking about the forums at large, especially considering that most of the recent drama bombs were caused by non-GBS posters making a stink about GBS because they travel around looking for things to complain about.

I want to echo Seth and say I want to come back to add more, but it is my Monday morning and work calls, so there will be a delay. I'd say part of the intent of a feedback thread is to be able to discuss stuff we usually don't, and the OP of this thread speaks to some of that, I think. Like, I usually don't talk about modding, outside when people PM me to discuss something, which doesn't happen all that often.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sometimes a random dumb rear end in a top hat shits up the place for a while until they get banned but the process takes like a year.

Wait did Methanar get banned

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bagmonkey posted:

Wait did Methanar get banned

I don't think so. He's in the process of banning himself irl from a different city every year though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't think so. He's in the process of banning himself irl from a different city every year though.

Twice a year lmao

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mods should be forced to say one nice thing about any poster they probe

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

All probations must be in the form of a compliment sandwich

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

Twice a year lmao

holy poo poo did I miss a new thread

Feedback: Pin Methanar threads for us to get giggles out of, especially the ones where he moves to really expensive cities w/o thinking about it, those are great

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

anyone wanna come over and smoke some weed and paint with me?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Make me a mod and I will snipe all the inappropriate music video links that start creeping up in random gbs threads. Basically I will follow Greg around and keep him on the straight and narrow. For our health.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BigBadSteve posted:

2. If anyone posts here whose name is unknown in GBS, one can assume they probably aren't a GBS poster. And there's a good chance they're an alt of an account from the troll forum we don't talk about and I won't name here because we "don't want to start anything". They destroyed QCS too, to the extent that almost every new thread there has to be almost immediately locked, that has been the case for months. So complaining about them there achieves nothing but further harassment. And, not coincidentally IMO, they hate Spinz and have done for years. Anyway, IMO people who don't post in GBS (ignoring occasional snarky abuse, trolling and "hahaha our forum is better than yours"-type posts) should have no say in policy changes. None whatever. Some of them are our literal enemies and want nothing good for GBS, as even a small study of their posts elsewhere soon shows (of course being lying amoral trolls their b*tchy alts here will claim otherwise til they're blue in the face). FFS don't let those with primarily ill-will for GBS be influential in any changes to it. And no, putting our heads in the sand doesn't solve the problem, that would be asking for it.

:same:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The major difference between SA and the other social media platforms is how it's policed. You can point and bitch about another poster and if enough people point and bitch then that poster goes for a ride. It's really dumb.

We need to strike a balance between 4chan where every dickhead who's been kicked out of everywhere else has found a home and Reddit, where they keep splitting into smaller forums based on how much and what kind of moderation they want, and not based on what they want to post about.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ok so I'm finally at my computer. I mostly didn't want to type this all on my phone. That would have been a nightmare tbh.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I personally don’t use the word and I understand that it’s used differently elsewhere in the world, but if it’s causing this much stress where every time feedback is requested that’s all anyone can talk about then just loving ban it in GBS because clearly everyone’s opinion on what constitutes proper use and intent is going to differ. If you’re that butthurt about not being able to use a single word then I don’t know what to tell you about how to navigate life in general. If it is that important to you to be able to say it just go to FYAD or IZ and go hog wild.

I mean, I guess we could outright ban it, but it'll still have the same issue we had before where everyone's going to litigate why they should be able to use it and not anyone else. I'd like to take a charitable approach and think that not everyone who's advocating this has a burning desire to say the word whenever they want, otherwise yes there are definitely other forums you could go in and say that. Proceed at your own risk, though :ese:

syntaxfunction posted:

Literally just agreeing on what slurs are inappropriate, site-wide, is something that should not be outside the realm of possibility. Extrapolating to "we need the same rules absolutely everywhere always" is not what I meant, nor is it a sensible thing to do?

"Getting all the forums to agree on what slurs or horrific types of posts are inappropriate" is not realistic I guess? If calling someone a "oval office" or "retard" is something that is probate-worthy then cool, that's fine, but it's loving weird that it's okay some places. Also only some of them some places, because people just want that.

Do you see how weird it is to have rules like "Don't use the word 'oval office' unless in two specific threads" or "don't call someone a 'retard', unless you're posting in FYAD" or "'human being' is bannable, unless you're posting in Ask/Tell" or whatever the gently caress?

I'm not asking AI or GWS to have identical rules to GBS, but goddamn this is like bare minimum and it sounds like "woah, we can't agree on what slurs or posts are universally bad" is pretty... bad?

Ok I see where you're coming from on this, and sorry I didn't understand it earlier.

I get what you mean now. The forums have definitely evolved over the years. When I first joined the f-slur was thrown around like it was confetti in a parade, r-word was pretty commonplace and the n-word was still bannable outside FYAD (thankfully). But we've all grown older, wiser and probably a bit more misanthropic tbh. Well, most of us. I would honestly encourage you to post this in SAD (yes I know, it seems like a copout) because it's probably a debate worth having with the forums at large. There's still a really large contingent of people who just must be able to post certain words. I don't understand it. I would hope they're not that way irl but who knows. :shrug:

I think it comes down to the individual forum ecosystems and what's acceptable there. Most of those words aren't acceptable outside FYAD and the lites, but also them getting hit is rather inconsistent as well I've found. I wish I could provide a more satisfying solution at this moment.

syntaxfunction posted:

Okay well, then in GBS we should be able to use any slur or hateful remark or sentiment that gets a pass anywhere else on the site. This is the general forum so it should be a general melting pot of ideas (maybe even a marketplace of free ideas) so we shouldn't disallow anything that makes people from other places feel weird.

Honestly, my question is what exactly did y'all hope to achieve from this thread? Everything that has been brought up has been kind of ignored or just sort of dismissed. You're asking for feedback, but like, on what? The only things mentioned in the OP were "discussions of the c-word" (so please don't act surprised folks brought that up) and megathreads (which is a thing that usually gets discussed internally in megathreads about times to reboot it etc).

What about GBS specifically? It's a small slice of a larger forum. GBS is just a general posting place and basically the only thing you could do that is special is turn up or down the reatio on the "serious/shitpost" dial. That and entertaining grudges against specific posters.

GBS is just a subforum. Every time there's been big issues with subforum moderation people straight up make threads to call out mods and then there's probations, arguments and (usually) resolution.

So, what were you, the mods, hoping to hear about here?

I won't speak for other mods, but what I want to achieve from this thread is:

1) Hearing from the userbase about what works and what doesn't
2) trying to come down from "on high" and have a real conversation with users
3) updating the rules after hearing feedback

I want to also mention I haven't ignored or dismissed anything. I'm stating from my view why certain things work and certain things may not work. When I say things like "This may be more of a SAD issue" or "Let's not get into forums flamewars" and the like, it's more because either I cannot provide a satisfying resolution, or because I want to keep this thread nominally on track.

In terms of this:

quote:

From my understanding, Jeff sees GBS as the forum's "front page" (he's free to come in and correct me if I'm wrong here). New users will most likely come here to see what SA is about before going off and exploring the rest of the forums. I'll say if I was a new user and saw the threads crawling with slurs and stuff, I'd run off the site and never come back. I'd prefer that not to happen, even if our newer users are mostly Unoriginal Name and Chairmaster reregs.

BigBadSteve posted:

So I'll take these one at a time:

quote:

[*]Get some guidelines in place so the above sort of mod/op/idiot king/whatever harassment of female posters ceases. Spinz was not 'tugging' in her posts, and believe me, as a chronic tugger I can tell the difference. As has been pointed out by multiple male goons over the last few months, it seemed to be purely sexist, i.e. male goons can mention funny memories from their sex lives, women goons can't, or they get harshly punished, probated so often, and escalatingly so, that they basically give up on posting in GBS at all (this is where Spinz has been for about the last ~2-3 months).

I don't know what the deal is with that, and the admin that implemented that rule has stepped down.

I want this to be a safe place for anyone to post. No one came to me about Spinz, so I really have no clue where this all came from. If she wants to reach out to me privately I'm happy to talk with her about this issue, but I'm not sure I necessarily want to litigate that in public at the moment.

In terms of female goons posting here, I know there's a trope that "GBS hates women" and I'd really like to kill that. The majority of people on this site are male, and (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) I think sometimes women may feel they have to hide themselves or somehow try to fit in with the boys by downplaying themselves. I'll say if you have worries that a goon is being harassed by a mod/ik/whoever, reach out via PM to an admin. We have two new ones, and a third on the way. I can vouch that they're standup people who will listen and take your concerns into account.

quote:

[*]If anyone posts here whose name is unknown in GBS, one can assume they probably aren't a GBS poster. And there's a good chance they're an alt of an account from the troll forum we don't talk about and I won't name here because we "don't want to start anything". They destroyed QCS too, to the extent that almost every new thread there has to be almost immediately locked, that has been the case for months. So complaining about them there achieves nothing but further harassment. And, not coincidentally IMO, they hate Spinz and have done for years. Anyway, IMO people who don't post in GBS (ignoring occasional snarky abuse, trolling and "hahaha our forum is better than yours"-type posts) should have no say in policy changes. None whatever. Some of them are our literal enemies and want nothing good for GBS, as even a small study of their posts elsewhere soon shows (of course being lying amoral trolls their b*tchy alts here will claim otherwise til they're blue in the face). FFS don't let those with primarily ill-will for GBS be influential in any changes to it. And no, putting our heads in the sand doesn't solve the problem, that would be asking for it.

I take issue with this one. Anyone is free to post here in any thread, and I'm not going to be pulling profile histories of people if they're just posting. We have a CSPAM mod posting here, we have admins posting here, we have people from all across the forums who come here to shitpost. Hell, Larry Parrish posted in r/relationships and he was never a problem there.

Are there people who post here to rile others up? Yes, but it also takes two to tango. For example, there was a poster a while back who was trying to rile up a certain thread. Absolutely no one bit and they wandered off because it wasn't achieving their desired results. Not engaging actually works a lot of the time.

Also, I think part of the issue here is saying "some of them are our literal enemies." This is a web 1.0 forum where we shitpost with people from across the world. We have a much better community than Reddit, and it's more tight knit. But at the end of the day, you will most likely never meet these people. When you log off or go do real life stuff, you should not be thinking about these forums. You certainly should not be of the mindset that you have posting enemies, because we're all shitposters on this site, every last one of us. It's the thread that binds us all, from the very top to the very bottom. You can debate what the "heart of the poster" is, but you can't deny we each all have it.

I'm not saying you have to like everyone on this forum. God knows I don't, but I don't see them as my enemies. I roll my eyes when they pop up and get on with my day. I would recommend you do the same. Though I gotta admit, love the passion in this part.

quote:

[*]Other than the above, and the odd rare other change no doubt posted by others here, ffs leave GBS alone. About all who post here regularly (with the caveats above), love GBS. It is a miraculous treasure, it's amazing it can exist at all. IMO it is fragile. Some have tried to end it completely, with some success occasionally, witness e.g. the so-called 'archived' old GBS' subforum. Let's celebrate what we have and make it a bit better, not f*ck with it til it breaks or all the good posters leave.

I love the passion you have with this, and I'll speak for all of us to say we're not looking to change the culture here. We're just looking to make it better.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think there's a fine line, because you can't always say "It's those CSPAM people" or "it's IZ" or whatever. Sometimes people just like to post to rile others up, but I will say that the mods of those forums don't take kindly to their members trying to harass other forums. I'm in constant contact with CSPAM mods and let them know if I'm doing something that might affect them, their posters or their forum. I have no desire to change their culture. If they want to complain about GBS, let them. We're stronger than that, and I think the new SAD forum and the addition of new admins may actually decrease the problems we've been having over the past few months. Time will tell, but I'm hopeful.

i think it's a forums wide initiative to have always open feedback threads in major subs. it's a good idea imo to have ongoing community feedback. it's not just about oval office and mega threads lol.

suggestion: more iks, rotated regularly, maybe selected by lot like in fyad or whatever. mods should be rotated regularly as well but i understand that the logistics of selecting mods for gbs isn't as simple as many smaller subs. still, maybe 1 year max or something would reduce burnout and keep the mods representative of the community

Gonna group these together. I agree that we should probably rotate IKs, and we should look at adding some more IKs forum-wide as it'll help with traffic and such. I'd especially like IKs of the bigger threads that none of us really wander into, as I don't personally like Kramering into threads and being "HEY Y'ALL KNOCK IT OFF" (see: my post in the RLM thread).

In terms of mods, selecting mods is an arduous process. If we had the numbers, we could probably do a one year max rotation of them. As an example, let me tell you how the process works:

1) Someone says "Hey, this forum needs new mods" or "we could use a new mod here"
2) The forum mods begin posting or soliciting ideas of who would be good for it
3) Mod candidates are selected
4) Admins do whatever they do, presumably to make sure they're not a permabanned rereg or psychotic or whatever
5) After the admins are done, the current mods reach out to the prospect
6) The prospect declines for any number of reasons

I mean, on #6 I'm being a bit facetious, but the decline vs. acceptance rate is kind of like my K:D ratio in TF2: it's baaaaaaaad. That's why it's a bit easier to have IKs: there's very little pressure being one. You just kinda do your thing, detached from the backend. But burnout is very real I'll admit. It's why I disappeared for like a month; I sort of had to.

syntaxfunction posted:

I also want to say that I know I might seem like I'm hating on the mod team and being harsh but I actually really like GBS, and I appreciate the work y'all do. It's difficult to moderate a bunch of poo poo-flinging spider monkeys, and you do good work.

If you want something tangible that isn't related to what I have said, please lock down and probe wildly any time there's a thread with any remotely controversial topic where suddenly a hundred people no one has seen post start posting their "ironic hot takes" which are just some sort of -ism under the guise of "heh shitposting".

Shitposting is an art. Posting racist or homophobic or whatever poo poo but going "but I'm not serious" ain't it. Look at the Harry Potter game thread for a good example tbh.

Nah I don't think you're hating, you're expressing your opinion and I appreciate it :) Trust me, I can tell the difference between mod hate and frustration. It's fairly obvious

I understand the idea in your second sentence, and it's something that I have to find a balance for. The issue is where is the line? What makes a shitpost vs. a post intended to rile people up, and where's the line to that? It's something I struggle with. I get the impulse to be like "They don't post here normally, they're just trying to rile people up!", but I have to make that judgement call when I see the reports come in. Am I right all the time? Hell no I'm not; I've definitely done bad shoots. But "shoot them first and let God sort them out" doesn't necessarily work in this instance. Then you're thinking "does everyone get 6 hours? 18? a day? what separates this post from the one above it?" It's sort of the calls I make when I get reports.

Saalkin posted:

What you don't post like that all the time?

I subscribe to the :justpost: mentality, which has gotten me in hot water before but I will never stop

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I try only to use bans in extreme instances. I have to be mindful of the fact that this isn't Reddit; people pay actual money to post here. Most of the time probations are far more effective than bans, so I try to use those whenever possible. But if someone's going over the line, it's :banhammer:

Bad Purchase posted:

You have no idea how badly I want to probe you with a compliment. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Pretty sure this is the longest post I've ever made on SA, and I'm sure it'll be picked apart for clues or whatever or I may have said something dumb that I'll have to backtrack on. But like I said, want to be as honest and transparent with y'all as possible, and I hope this gives you insight into where I'm at

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

ok so I'm finally at my computer. I mostly didn't want to type this all on my phone. That would have been a nightmare tbh.

<Edited for length>
Also, by popular demand, we will be introducing Smugworth as GBS' newest moderator. We're still trying to decide what thread would be appropriate to make Nooner an IK of.
<Edited for length>

:buddy:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Thanks Seth. I, for one genuinely appreciate the effort post and explanations. I’m still leery of SAD because it seems like it pretty rapidly became just like QCS where it is actively hostile to anyone who isn’t one of the “regulars” and dares to question their opinions, regardless of how that question is put forth. I am hoping that with time and the new admins SAD settles down into something that works for more of the site than the overly squeaky wheels. In any case, I think this thread is a good start and a much needed troll-free space to vent.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You heard it here folks, he’s in!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Thanks Seth. I, for one genuinely appreciate the effort post and explanations. I’m still leery of SAD because it seems like it pretty rapidly became just like QCS where it is actively hostile to anyone who isn’t one of the “regulars” and dares to question their opinions, regardless of how that question is put forth. I am hoping that with time and the new admins SAD settles down into something that works for more of the site than the overly squeaky wheels. In any case, I think this thread is a good start and a much needed troll-free space to vent.

I would just like to reiterate my suggestion that anyone who has 25%+ of their total posts in SAD/QCS should be autobanned. Someone else argued it should be only 10% and that's probably a better idea, but I'm trying to be magnanimous. Meta forums for discussing rules/policing shouldn't have "regulars". That's exactly the kind of person we'd all be better off without.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Snip, addressed, refresh threads before posting

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 21, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Devils Affricate posted:

I would just like to reiterate my suggestion that anyone who has 25%+ of their total posts in SAD/QCS should be autobanned. Someone else argued it should be only 10% and that's probably a better idea, but I'm trying to be magnanimous. Meta forums for discussing rules/policing shouldn't have "regulars". That's exactly the kind of person we'd all be better off without.

Having a regular base of users in what is supposed to be a catch all for the forums at large is a really bad idea. It basically allows and encourages minority rule especially when the culture there is toxic enough that most users don’t even bother with going in there. It could be cleaned up with heavy and unbiased moderation but ehhh, that ain’t what’s happening in there.

To keep with the thread rules and bring it around to how it relates to GBS, there’s a thread in there right now about the new admins for feedback on them. If 75% of active users (disclaimer: I do not know what the actual stat is) the site don’t even go into SAD, then you’re allowing the regulars to effectively select admins that favor them. That applies to current mods and IKs as well because it’s always a one sided argument in there. There really needs to be strong moderation to deliver actual punishment when dissenting opinions are replied to with harassment and doxxing attempts so that SAD eventually feels like a safe enough place for actual discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

anyone wanna come over and smoke some weed and paint with me?

One day me and hot cocoa will take you out for a beer.

bagmonkey posted:

Feedback: Pin Methanar threads for us to get giggles out of, especially the ones where he moves to really expensive cities w/o thinking about it, those are great

Methanar's posts should all word filter to a screenshot of of his paystub.

I would like too vote for Smugworth for mod.