Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
1 or 2 way definitely removes some level of thinking, at the expense of not being able to kill as fast or making the vertical levels a little harder

you know the level layouts now. you can do it 💪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
: Beat the game
: Collect all 100 stray beads (PLATINUM)

EE already covered a lot of what I have to say in his postgame report so I'll just echo briefly - still one of the best games ever made and as gorgeous as ever. I'm surprised every time I play this how well the combat holds up, enemies are almost never life threatening but Floral Finishers make even trash fights engaging, and getting double cherry blossoms on harder fights is always satisfying. Drawing was about as janky as ever, I'll never get the hang of Bloom.

Surprisingly easy beads included charcoal girl (after about 20 false starts with the star - Mr. Chic never gave me the go ahead but it moved to the next step anyway??) and Kai (third try! would have been second try if I had been one second faster).
Worst bead was definitely the N. Ryoshima Coast devil gate gauntlet, I really should have waited until endgame. Last fight took at least ten minutes.
Actual worst bead is Blockhead Grande but I used video recording because I wanted to finish the game this month.

Happy to have gone through it again and as always a little sad that it's over. I hope some new players enjoyed it.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

finally started battle mania daiginjou on 2 way shot mode. it’s really fun, i’m digging every single thing about it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

: Defeat the Spider Queen

this game owns, i just hope i have enough time to finish it this month

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I lost a ton of momentum when I got a game over on level 6. What makes the later stages easy is just having a million bullets on screen at all time knocking out enemy projectiles and sucks having to power back up if you continue. Still the game gave enough continues for me to power through. Also managed to get squished by the final boss because he's completely solid instead of having a hurt box for some reason. There's a bonus scene of the character complaining if you have to use a continue on the final boss. I'll try again on hard if I can find time.

Yeah I just got squished near the end of stage 6 and it more or less killed the run, drat

welcome posted:

EE already covered a lot of what I have to say in his postgame report so I'll just echo briefly - still one of the best games ever made and as gorgeous as ever. I'm surprised every time I play this how well the combat holds up, enemies are almost never life threatening but Floral Finishers make even trash fights engaging, and getting double cherry blossoms on harder fights is always satisfying. Drawing was about as janky as ever, I'll never get the hang of Bloom.

Surprisingly easy beads included charcoal girl (after about 20 false starts with the star - Mr. Chic never gave me the go ahead but it moved to the next step anyway??) and Kai (third try! would have been second try if I had been one second faster).
Worst bead was definitely the N. Ryoshima Coast devil gate gauntlet, I really should have waited until endgame. Last fight took at least ten minutes.
Actual worst bead is Blockhead Grande but I used video recording because I wanted to finish the game this month.

Happy to have gone through it again and as always a little sad that it's over. I hope some new players enjoyed it.

Well done, welcome. so many demon fangs lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

welcome posted:

nicely done!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

nevermind, brought it back in the end

: Beat the game on Normal or Hard with the 8 Way Shot

Fun game, and great music. Think I'm gonna go right back in for hard mode

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

: Beat the game on Hard

Hard mode 1CC acquired ✌️

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i just realised i havent tried the other shots from 1 way lol. what do they do?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i just realised i havent tried the other shots from 1 way lol. what do they do?

2 way flips you when you press the button to flip the other girl, so the two of you always shoot the same direction

8 way lets you reposition your gun when you stop shooting, and locks it in place when you hold the shoot button, like in the car level

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

2 way flips you when you press the button to flip the other girl, so the two of you always shoot the same direction

8 way lets you reposition your gun when you stop shooting, and locks it in place when you hold the shoot button, like in the car level

cool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

: Beat the game on Normal or Hard with either the 1 or 2 Way Shot

ezpz 1cc with 2 Way shot, that was fun

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Battle Mania Daiginjou is a very charming game with a great soundtrack but i cannot play shmups worth a goddamn

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

great shmup with utterly banging music. i'll have to try getting through in 8-way mode during impsmas! i'll also have to try the previous game in the series, is it any good?

there was a third game planned for some 3d platform or another (dreamcast?), but uhh, probably for the best it never quite happened...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hello

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
zip your drat shorts up. sheesh.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

she lost all her belts in the apartment fire

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

she lost all her belts in the apartment fire

lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

fun game. theres some design decisions i just dont cotton with like getting crushed being an instant game over but its 1993 so i cant be too mad lol. ive only previously known vic tokai for stuff like decap attack so its cool to learn they also made shmups, and good ones too. might go for hard 8-way today or tomorrow, and if not impmas. i think a 1cc is pretty possible since the things that stop me were getting crushed and 1 miniboss whos pattern took me a lil longer to grasp. im sure hard mode will disagree though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
beat it on normal with the default switchero shot

also i managed to max out my score in the 1cc

i played this and trouble shooters like ~6ish months ago and play them every few years, good games. i'm pretty sure last time i beat this on hard because i definitely didn't have 20 lives, maybe ill try tomorrow. only real thing i don't like about this is the insta-game over in stage 4, it takes several stages to get back to max power + going into the rest of the game with like 10 lives and max power vs restarting with 3 is pretty huge. the sfx could be a little beefier too imo. the music is great tho. bye.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

im pretty sure hard mode:

gives you less continues
gives you less health on a fresh continue
adds more projectiles to most bosses and minibosses
adds some more enemies to some waves but not a ton

There’s definitely new attacks in hard mode, the centipede guy in stage 2 surprised me with projectile blasts that he didn’t have in normal mode. I think the negative power-ups (power-downs?) are more frequent too, I didn’t see a single one until the second half of the game on normal and just grabbed one without thinking on stage 2.

Aside from nasty surprises like that though 2-way feels like it’s moving in slow motion compared to 8-way lol, this was definitely the right order to do it in. Feel like Max Payne

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The down arrows are speed downs

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's cool that the game lets you kick its rear end. They could have made it a very challenging and precise game that required carefully optimizing your partner positioning and shot angles at every moment but that wouldn't have been an improvement. Instead they perfectly captured the vibe of two girls having a good time with super electric violence

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

and most importantly, the moral victory of a 1cc lol. hard mode was definitely a step up but this game seems mostly balanced around not losing 10+ lives to getting crushed. even with the lower life total, and more mistakes, this was doable as long as i didnt gently caress up and start a later stage with basically no resources. very cool. the 8 way shot is definitely more powerful but its also a much higher cognitive load, so it feels pretty tricky to use well. big fan of this game overall though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

1 or 2 way definitely removes some level of thinking, at the expense of not being able to kill as fast or making the vertical levels a little harder

you know the level layouts now. you can do it 💪

I did it 💪

I’m sure knowing the levels was also a big factor but this game on 2-way was a breeze compared to 8-way, even accounting for the fact that I was playing on hard this time and not normal. I didn’t get 1CC or a higher score than A- so it wasn’t a complete cakewalk, still kept me on my toes, but I had a good time. Fun game that I’d never even heard of before, thanks for the pick elfbot!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

1CC. pretty fun game even if i suck rear end at shmups. i ended up just restarting if i died once because starting later stages from scratch really sucks. the music kicked rear end, stage 5 was a standout

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dunno if I'm gonna play Prince of Persia so I figured I'll play this at least. Glad I did! Fun game, good pick.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I did it 💪

I’m sure knowing the levels was also a big factor but this game on 2-way was a breeze compared to 8-way, even accounting for the fact that I was playing on hard this time and not normal. I didn’t get 1CC or a higher score than A- so it wasn’t a complete cakewalk, still kept me on my toes, but I had a good time. Fun game that I’d never even heard of before, thanks for the pick elfbot!

hell yeah

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
got sick out of the blue today, so playing this in bed

i beat normal 8-shot last night but didn’t have a chance to get screens off the deck because the process is psychotic. started up 1 way hard mode tonight

both sessions went pretty similarly, I’d die on the second stage a couple times and reset and then end up clearing the rest of the game without too many issues. i died a lot from getting crushed on normal but managed to avoid it all in hard mode and cleared 1cc. wasn’t planning on going for that but it’s honestly probably easier than trying to continue after you lose all your upgrades

the levels were all fun but as a shmup novice i was most impressed with the bosses, feels novel to trap you in a relatively close space with them and have you dodge around their charge attacks. felt like i was fighting the mantis lords from hollow knight a few times. cool feeling to get in a shmup

thanks for picking something i wouldn’t have ever played otherwise

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
lol the prequel to this game has a hidden cheat code that displays this:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Kins posted:

no!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Kins posted:

correct

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

The Kins posted:

:hai:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

this

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

: Defeat the Spider Queen

I forgot to make a screenshot for defeating the Spider Queen so welp, progress report. I'm gonna have to shift it up to marathons to beat the game in time now.
Game owns but I can only take so much drawing circles every session.

This sig under renovation

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Super electric violence...

Been thinking about it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Tarranon posted:

got sick out of the blue today, so playing this in bed

i beat normal 8-shot last night but didn’t have a chance to get screens off the deck because the process is psychotic. started up 1 way hard mode tonight

both sessions went pretty similarly, I’d die on the second stage a couple times and reset and then end up clearing the rest of the game without too many issues. i died a lot from getting crushed on normal but managed to avoid it all in hard mode and cleared 1cc. wasn’t planning on going for that but it’s honestly probably easier than trying to continue after you lose all your upgrades

the levels were all fun but as a shmup novice i was most impressed with the bosses, feels novel to trap you in a relatively close space with them and have you dodge around their charge attacks. felt like i was fighting the mantis lords from hollow knight a few times. cool feeling to get in a shmup

thanks for picking something i wouldn’t have ever played otherwise

well done & feel better friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I could not get the hang of 8 way so I ended up using 2 way for hard as well. I might give the last trophy a shot if I get home early enough tonight.