Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Gonz posted:

Don’t you put that evil on me, tinstaach!

I don't want it either! But I told myself I wouldn't be optimistic about the Lions again until they won a playoff game, and I feel like they're doing everything in their power to break me again so I have to temper my expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Lions are doing an excellent job of building up to our next big heartbreak, I'm excited to see where this goes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

tinstaach posted:

It would be funny, on-brand, and absolutely heartbreaking if GMBH and MCDC build a respectable defense in Detroit only for Goff to turn back into 2019-21 Jared Goff

Is there cap space for Lamar assuming we threw a ton of draft picks their way

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is there cap space for Lamar assuming we threw a ton of draft picks their way

Not this year, but get rid of Goff and restructure some dudes and yes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The stars are aligning for Richardson at 6. :unsmigghh:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
My wife just told me about this, gently caress yes! I have Chauncy in my dynasty league, I drafted him. So I've been keepin on an off tabs on him. This is a great move.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/bsmotorcity/status/1637629532151721984?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gardner-Johnson is a perfect team fit. Too bad he and Jaire can't somehow play against each other.

JJ better watch out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is our secondary, like....

Good, now????

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MJeff posted:

Is our secondary, like....

Good, now????

We shall see.

Even after all these moves, the draft hasn’t happened yet, and the Lions have 5 picks in the top 81.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think it's still worth it for the Lions to grab Witherspoon or Gonzalez.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's still worth it for the Lions to grab Witherspoon or Gonzalez.

I mean if Gonzalez fell to them at 18 I'm not unhappy but from how I want it to play out is Tyree at 6 and either a OL at 18, or the best LB unless its not a good value pick at 18.

I'm so not used to a competent Lions front office and its freaking me the gently caress out.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see a trade down in the draft with one of the first round picks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

If he's good on another team, then they will pay him and he will never see free agency.

He's an unrestricted free agent after the season. If he has a good season on the Bears, Packers, or Steelers next year, he'd still sign with whoever pays him the most money. There's little to no advantage to trade a top pick for a guy who is going to be a free agent at the end of the season.

I'm not even knocking Claypool here. If the guy has a good season, you're still competing with 31 other teams for his services in 2024. The only advantage the Bears have is if they want to sign him to an extension this offseason which I don't think either side is inclined to do at this point.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

OL at 6. DT with 18.

I think there is a very good chance that Carter and/or Anderson is available at 6. Someone is going to trade up and 4 QBs could go before their pick. And if not, Tyree Wilson is a stud and the Lions would have the best young edge rushers in the league.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Somewhere, Anthony Miller punched a wall and doesn't know why

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

nudges Chicago, "See what your brother is doing? Why can't you be more like your brother?"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

nudges Chicago, "See what your brother is doing? Why can't you be more like your brother?"

THEY ALREADY HAVE AN O LINE, MOM! STOP EMBARASSING ME!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My feeling this morning:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Here's hoping Aaron Glenn can coach this talent and Goff doesn't turn into a pumpkin again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Goff wants to turn into a pumpkin this season would be the optimal time to do it, then the Lions can just trade a bajillion picks to go up and get Caleb.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Sure depends on the number, but he's still an NFL player.

fsif posted:

I feel like whenever we have to wait for the number it means it's team friendly.

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1637614990810140672

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

i'm extremely concerned by the amount of excitement i'm feeling for the lions during the off-season, and we haven't even had the draft yet.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
They also signed a new long snapper. I thought the lions aced FA before these signings. Romeo okwara also took a 9 million paycut to stay with the team. This is all very strange.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Weird, when players actually enjoy playing for your team the team does well and has a much easier time attracting/retaining talent?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Yea MN would probably have found a way to do that money but he's delusional thinking he's a #1 so it'd never happen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Weird, when players actually enjoy playing for your team the team does well and has a much easier time attracting/retaining talent?

Muscle Coach is Pro PJ Fleck

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
PJ Fleck is extremely polarizing and alienates as many people as he attracts. Everyone seems to like DC.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I can't imagine being able to sit in a room for more than five minutes with acronym mutant pj fleck

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/20/fmia-nfl-free-agency-bears-panthers/

quote:

Chicago. The Bears traded ownership of the draft to Carolina, then owned the first week of free agency. After a conversation with Bears GM Ryan Poles the other night, it sounds like the trade was almost THE TRADE. Poles told me he had significant discussion with Houston at number two that could have made him trade down twice in the top 10—with both the Texans and Panthers. He wouldn’t be specific on what broke down, but he did say: “I thought there was an opportunity to do something historically pretty cool with a trade from one to two and two to nine. That had potential to add more draft capital this year, and then the possibility that you’re sitting on three ones in the following year. That had my attention. But my gut told me to trigger on it now. At the combine, I thought those quarterbacks did an outstanding job in their interview process. A lot of teams felt really good about some of those guys, but as you get further away from the combine, maybe there’s a bad pro day or something that turns teams off.”

My sense is that Poles is close to Carolina GM Scott Fitterer from years of road scouting and personnel conversations, and he could get a read on exactly what Carolina would do and what it wouldn’t. He doesn’t know Houston GM Nick Caserio as well, so it could be Poles was never sure how far the Texans would go to do the deal. In a draft with questions about all the top quarterbacks and no Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence in the group, once Carolina agreed to send wideout D.J. Moore and two ones and two twos, Poles was convinced he shouldn’t wait.

“Scott and I have a pretty good relationship, being around each other on the road,” Poles said. “I think that played a big part of it. And trust. He wanted to get it done. He was clear with his intentions.”

Not sure why Poles went public with this. Just sets him up to be questioned whether he could have had more if he waited.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poles really likes to talk with media guys.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Not trusting that crazy eyed gently caress on the Texans is probably a good call.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
As a GM I assume I would also like to tell everyone about the cool poo poo I almost pulled off, so I find this to be extremely relatable

I don't think there's any real harm in it unless other FO types get annoyed about him blabbing, and as a fan I prefer a GM that gives me too much insight into what he's thinking than nothing at all. So keep talking to impress Peter King (??), I say

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Plus given how much of the business relies on having good relationship with people you're trading with, it's probably not a great idea to try to squeeze people for every last possible drop. The Packers and Seahawks regularly trade with each other since the two front offices have good relationships and they trust that the other isn't trying to cheat them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

KDdidit posted:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/20/fmia-nfl-free-agency-bears-panthers/

Not sure why Poles went public with this. Just sets him up to be questioned whether he could have had more if he waited.

He could have had more, or he could have had less. Who the gently caress knows. You look at the deal you have and see if you love the deal if you love it you take it.

The Panthers could have said gently caress it and gone after someone else for far less. Or if players had a bad proday, or if it's revealed they murdered someone or something.

If you think you have a really really good deal just cash out. And take the receiver.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

And take the receiver.

I think this probably was a big part of it. Do you trade from 1-2 then 2-9 but only come out with draft picks from it? Or do you just go straight 1-9 and get a proven asset out of it?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

xbilkis posted:

As a GM I assume I would also like to tell everyone about the cool poo poo I almost pulled off, so I find this to be extremely relatable

I don't think there's any real harm in it unless other FO types get annoyed about him blabbing, and as a fan I prefer a GM that gives me too much insight into what he's thinking than nothing at all. So keep talking to impress Peter King (??), I say

Yeah pretty much everyone was talking about it as this pie in the sky "what if they actually pulled it off" thing but pretty much nobody thought it was a realistic option. Having him go "well I did try to work out if it could happen but at the end of the day went with something more solid" is cool insight, but you'd have to be real cynical* to think "well he screwed it up since he didn't pull off a historically convoluted double trade".

* I believe this is Niwrad's queue

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Team chemistry??

https://twitter.com/joearrigofsm/status/1637868146588790786

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kind of weird that they're inviting fans to watch them work out but I guess they want the extra pressure