Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

of the frames listed I would say only Sevagoth, Yareli and Caliban are meh.

Lavos is more of a SP frame but he scales well and can do some shenanigans, Gyre got an augment that fixes her entire kits problems and Citrine is just overall a decent frame.

Sevagoth is...fine but he doesn't really do anything other than be immortal. And there are like seven other frames whose claim to fame is immortality.
Yareli is a gun frame that's worse than other gunframes, forces you into using a terrible mode to survive and limits what guns you can use on her. Sure she can boost up a laetum, but if you're using those guns they already obliterate steel path by default and can be used on frames that don't force you to deal with random geometry issues.
And Caliban had his only gimmick taken away from him (full armor + shield strip). The rest of his kit does nothing, quite literally nothing.

Sevagoth's 4 is actually quite strong, and everyone should definitely farm him up to feed to Helminth, at the very least. Gloom is one of the best Helminth abilities in the game.

Caliban, on the other hand, I just can't figure out how to make work. He's squishy as gently caress, his 1 is terrible, and he takes SO LONG to cast everything. He never quite "clicks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Sevagoth's 4 is actually quite strong, and everyone should definitely farm him up to feed to Helminth, at the very least. Gloom is one of the best Helminth abilities in the game.

Caliban, on the other hand, I just can't figure out how to make work. He's squishy as gently caress, his 1 is terrible, and he takes SO LONG to cast everything. He never quite "clicks".

You play Caliban accepting that you're playing a mediocre at best frame whose only selling point is an OK armor strip that doesn't need too much power investment (though Styanax's helminth pretty much makes it obsolete) and exploding lasers are cool, and you helminth literally anything over his 1 immediately because it's so bad it may as well be bugged to not work at all, gloom being a fairly obvious choice but it's fairly flexible. He definitely benefits from natural talent or some cast speed shards. But yeah there's no real good reason to farm or ever use him beyond the mastery, and I say that as someone who has played a fair amount of Caliban. He's not non-functional, but he's definitely on the poorer end of frames.

He does have cool animation sets, though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Gloom is absolutely the best helminth ability in the game, bar none. At this point it's load bearing, so many people rely on it that they should nerf it, but they also can't. People would straight up quit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A Moose posted:

At this point it's load bearing, so many people rely on it that they should nerf it, but they also can't. People would straight up quit

Warframe.txt

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I imagine they'll give some time to recover from the AoE nerf debacle before trying to touch that poo. :v:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It is a mystery to me how many people use gloom, I don't think you see the graphics of other people's gloom auras. People could be using short range gloom or gloom without 300% power strength so enemies aren't visually super slow and I might never be able to see underneath the explosions of other players aoe weapons

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Captainicus posted:

It is a mystery to me how many people use gloom, I don't think you see the graphics of other people's gloom auras. People could be using short range gloom or gloom without 300% power strength so enemies aren't visually super slow and I might never be able to see underneath the explosions of other players aoe weapons

Now I'm curious if I was running w/ people who had Gloom going or if it was my Nova Prime. Hmmmm....I'm intrigued either way.

Knocked out "The New War" today and, outside of a few bullshit mechanics, I really enjoyed it. Got new gear, and multiple new frames, to at least use as MR fodder. Still at 28 so that's nice.
Thoughts on the new frames I've tried so far......as I've been away for 2 years

Finally finished Xaku, I had 1 forma in her and was leveling her when I took the break,.......fun as hell. Cool mechanics, cool animations and I was a little murderbot. I enjoyed her and tossed in a few more Forma

Styanax...the 4 ability was stupid fun from an animation point of view. I dropped like 4 Forma in the Frame and never was "annoyed" by playing the frame. Maybe because I tend to play tanky overall and melee everything to death and that works for Styanax.
Is it a "go to" frame for me now? No but I also got no beef with the frame

Lavos felt very much unkillable. I couldn't die, ran around doing melee and was never threatened by anything regardless of how many waves I was on or survival. Just tanky as gently caress. Got the magnetic kill 150 people by just turning on Magnetic effects and dashing around w/ the 2 ability.
Felt hands off overall

Worked on a Nova build for a Steel Reserve/end game sorta stuff. Now at 7 Forma, had to redo a few slots, but man she is fun. I don't recall Nova too much but gently caress. She's good. She is really good. I only use the 1 and the 4 basically (the odd wormhole is fun) so I might play around w/ giving her a Helminth ability from someone else.

Barely started w/ Yareli and she is interesting? K drive experience on demand is something I guess

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Barely started w/ Yareli and she is interesting? K drive experience on demand is something I guess

I think she's love it or hate it if you find hoverboarding funny or not (I love me some k-drive so she's one of my favourites)

If you want to use her, I recommend subsume gloom, I normally wouldn't subsume gloom on everything but its the only thing you can toggle on then hop or merulina (I replace her 3). Her augment Merulina Guardian is nice, stuff dying during sea snares gives you 200% fire rate and reload. I don't care at all about the healing but you can juice your secondary to even more insane heights

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You absolutely see other players' Gloom vortexes on you when you're in range, it's a swirly mist at your feet.

I'm not sure if it is the best Subsume bar-none after spending time with Nourish. It's hard to put a price on giving everyone in my party, myself included, triple energy from all sources at 200% Ability Strength. The bonus damage is icing on the cake, as are stuns, viral procs, generous base range and the snappy cast speed.

If I could pick the subsume of everyone in the party, I think the best possible combination would be:

Nourish
Pillage
Silence
Breach Surge or Dispensary for the last slot

Silence/Breach are unique in that they shut down Eximus with Overguard, and Acolytes. Those enemies and any trash hit by both, can't hear, can't use abilities, and can't see, so their AI shuts down and they walk around aimlessly at a casual pace, bumping into walls. Gloom is great but it can't affect Overguard enemies and it can slightly backfire by keeping Torment or those Rakoids in Profit Taker in their invulnerable animations, for 20 times longer. I have to remember to run out of range of Torment when I'm playing Gloom.

Silence is so great that I don't run Primed Sure Footed on my Banshee and never get knocked down; if nothing in 50 meters can use an ability like Flame Blast or Grapple Hook, then nothing can actually knock anyone down. I'm sure because I've done 4+ hour missions without a knockdown like that.

A maxed Gloom is the best for Index, I found a way to do a 100% AFK solo farm with the game in the background for minutes at a time; no cheating and the anti-activity doesn't trip.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Finally finished Xaku, I had 1 forma in her and was leveling her when I took the break,.......fun as hell. Cool mechanics, cool animations and I was a little murderbot. I enjoyed her and tossed in a few more Forma

Xaku's a they/them.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

You absolutely see other players' Gloom vortexes on you when you're in range, it's a swirly mist at your feet.

I double checked the wiki and I see where I went wrong - you don't see the shadowy ring from other players but do see shadows on your legs and small shadows on enemies. Probably just a coincidence I haven't seen anyone with a gloom subsume hanging nearby me in a small mission in some time.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Gloom being the default pick was mostly from health tanking being the done deal for years upon years still being in the back of peoples heads, nowadays you see silence(anti eximus) and terrify(easy armor strip) a lot more in longer steel path stuff. Pillage is also up there but building enough for it to armor strip is a pain.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Terrify, especially with Creeping Terrify, is a pretty solid picks.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Helter Skelter posted:

We all know the only truly terrible warframe is Hydroid (no, PIlfering Swarm does not change this).

Having dumped a bunch of forma because I like his aesthetic, Caliban is arguably the only other actually bad frame other than Hydroid. The buffs to armor strip across the board took away his only real strength by there just being better options for it and what's left is either extremely limited or actively don't work as you want them to half the time.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Zombeef posted:

Having dumped a bunch of forma because I like his aesthetic, Caliban is arguably the only other actually bad frame other than Hydroid. The buffs to armor strip across the board took away his only real strength by there just being better options for it and what's left is either extremely limited or actively don't work as you want them to half the time.

I feel like this is taking it too far. His 4 is a large aoe armor strip that stays for a decent duration, while hydroid becomes worse every patch to the point where he has an augment that doesn't even do its intended thing anymore because its 100% armor strip got turned into it giving a single corrosive proc. Hydroids basically has not a single good ability, his 1 might as well not exist, his 2 is slower than just parkouring, his 3 literally does nothing but stop enemies from getting killed unless allies shoot directly into the puddle, and his 4 is a loving joke. To truly put it into perspective, hydroids 4 can grab 10 enemies at a time, while making them insanely annoying to hit, while khora can grab 52 enemies at a time(26 per strangledome), not even considering the fact that khora has insane damage on top of this it's just hilarious how far behind he is compared to literally every other frame.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I just (re?)discovered that slotting a mobile defense console counts as an alarm, oh loving boy

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Oh goddammit building a necramech requires Fortuna rep? That place feels so boring compared to the other open worlds

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fortuna is weird because there's a lot actually in the map, but bounties only take you to like 10% of it. Also the bounties suck and the rep system sucks and it's way easier to get the primes of the fortuna frames than their base versions.

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
I just ran a quick conservation circuit in my archwing and that got me to the daily rep cap in 10-15min depending on RNG. There's a flock of those birds directly SW of the fortuna entrance, and the various caves around the coolant resevoir usually spawn various things

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The real misery of Fortuna is getting the right debt-bonds to rank up. Rep is easy via conservation (or gems if you want to be able to bank it for another day).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'd recommend not rep grinding Fortuna with gems or fish. Seems like every couple of weeks I run into a recipe where I'm annoyed that I need to go back and fish up six more servo-assholes and mine four servo-coprolite for some ninja sword.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I wouldn't do gems for the primary rep grind, and the rep return on fish is terrible. Stick with conservation as much as you can, only do gems if, again, you want to bank rep for a day you don't have time for that (and don't have a pressing crafting need for the gems).

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I've been Forma'ing up Gyre and I think I'm in love?
Animations, abilities, power...it all is there. I have to remember to use Rolling Guard, as that seems to be the few times I die it is because I failed to trigger a i-frame
It's this interesting balance as it's the only frame that I can recall where I slow 0 shield or health buffs but I'm still largely unkillable

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
My preferred rep sources are Vampire cat tranq or Murkrays (boosters apply) for Cetus, 8k Kubrow tranq or gems (boosters apply) for fortuna, exploiter for lazu toroids (boosters apply) for little duck (also gives 12+k fortuna rep in gems), T4/5 bounties for deimos, and T4/T5 bounties + angel dunking for zariman.

But of course personal mileage depends on which activities you actually like and know how to do fast and comfortably.

Helter Skelter posted:

The real misery of Fortuna is getting the right debt-bonds to rank up. Rep is easy via conservation (or gems if you want to be able to bank it for another day).
That and the <x> systems for the follow up syndicate.

I got through it pretty fast and like doing the activities enough to now sit on hundreds of bonds and systems, but it's one of those old "10-20% per stage" drops that feel awful to acquire specifically, and you cant really help newer players besides pointing to the shortest access to the droptable and hoping they get lucky. :smith:

Wonder if Rebb has the time to spare to retro fit a few of those old bottlenecks with a mercy-fallback currency like for Citrine or Voruna. Tho i don't think theyve even really said if they consider those experiments a "success" worth using more?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Helter Skelter posted:

I wouldn't do gems for the primary rep grind, and the rep return on fish is terrible. Stick with conservation as much as you can, only do gems if, again, you want to bank rep for a day you don't have time for that (and don't have a pressing crafting need for the gems).

Or you could try grinding for the Exploiter Orb ephemera! More gems than you'll know what to do with! :unsmigghh:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Idk how meta it is but the zakti prime has always been one of my go to secondary weapons. Just now I was messing around with mirage and noticed that the darts fired by her mirror clones explode immediately on impact instead of having the normal short delay. It's a pretty nice bug feature, not sure if it extends to other weapons that involve delayed aoe?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Fortuna is the best open world y’all are nuts. Anything is better than Deimos tho.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Fortuna really does need to use more of its gigantic map.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It does, just capture a base and do the bounties from there (nobody does this)

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
That's why I specified Fortuna, not the Orb Vallis.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Rubix Squid posted:

Fortuna really does need to use more of its gigantic map.
I've spent a lot of time exploring it all because i'm a leisurely "smell the roses" casul, and it's amazing how many gorgeous caves there are that are so neglected they don't even spawn any mining ore veins.

There's similar places in the other open worlds (like that one SE plains area that's reachable through a tunnel that only shows up in one or two extremely rare bounty stages). For all the replay mileage DE gets out of their limited assets there's more than a few things that feel criminally underused.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

There's similar places in the other open worlds (like that one SE plains area that's reachable through a tunnel that only shows up in one or two extremely rare bounty stages).

is THAT why 1% of players on steam have explored all caves on the plains? I was looking at achievements because I have like 10 left and thought that was a weird one to be so rare

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the open world exploration achievements are pretty buggy.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

A Moose posted:

is THAT why 1% of players on steam have explored all caves on the plains? I was looking at achievements because I have like 10 left and thought that was a weird one to be so rare
I got that one only after a few hundred bounties when one of the stages spawned a cache in a tiny cave in one of the mountain bases. I have never seen that spawn since.

But yeah sometimes steam achivements just don't fire properly, you can always SAM it but why bother.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A Moose posted:

If you got the achievements on the standalone client, the steam ones won't register.

The open worlds are very funny, the plains are not actually plains, and players started with few reasons to do anything but visit points of interest and ignore everything else, the vallis is the same, just larger and with a more eye straining color scheme at launch, thank you, new war, I will note that the enemy weapons and terrain using the same colors is particularly annoying, it's also incredibly large and samey, meaning that the largeness is negated even more than the plains which to have local variation. Deimos is the best designed one, in my opinion, if not for a few things, it's relatively small and each part of it is distinct, you can tell where you are from the appearance of your surroundings, and there's a lot of sights to see. The bad points are, you're mostly speedrunning between points of interest, the visual design of enemies, shapes and colors, the visual design of the place, shapes and colors, and the intersection of both of these are extremely eye straining (they remind me of that line in the "raising the bar" half life 2 art and design booklet "we made the soldier uniforms look camouflaged but also actually not be camouflaged so they'd stand out better for the player to see" well here they didn't), and finally the flying latcher octopuses ignore the archwing peace treaty that both other open worlds have, in which you go in aw and zoom up to 250 m alt when you need to take a piss, especially since, even in solo play, pause is disabled.

The one good thing the open worlds have is that now preservation animals spawn without having to go through the minigame and that's approximately the one reason to take your time and enjoy the sights.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

A Moose posted:

That cheevo was bugged for ages.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I'm still missing at least one of the Vallis caves. Wasn't sure if I just never hit one of the entirely too many or what.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I'm still missing at least one of the Vallis caves. Wasn't sure if I just never hit one of the entirely too many or what.

They were bugged for a while, and even after getting fixed some of them have really squirrely requirements for the achievement. I finally got mine while I was tracking down the Fortuna cast's scannable logs, and the achievement fired when I was poking around in the very back of a small, shallow cave.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Finally got all the Limbo Prime parts cooking, that was the last warframe I was missing before Hildryn Prime came out. Now I just need 2 more hildryn parts, and they're both the uncommon ones, and then I'll be caught up on all warframes ever! As far as weapons, I just need to finish the ones that cost forma or 10 of the detonite/fieldron/mutagen materials. Then all I have left is random prime MR fodder and a few more zaws!

I think I'm probably just going to buy sets of all the lovely prime weapons though. They're not usually worth much even if they do have a use case like Phantasma or Scourge, and I think I got all the big money ones like Glaive and Rubico already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Devstream 169 going live with 10th anniversary reminiscing, Duviri / Tennocon updates and an archon shard drop

https://twitch.tv/warframe