Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
minus four but stayed off the floor

hi all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SZC89tphRY

took five minutes to even get a door open on the car today, things were quite frozen

cold rear end day

pond seems a good natural "full" now and anything more than this is too full, water collection system continues to function

most of the carbon capture/biodiversity logpiles have seen some heavy foraging by the beasts, guess they are trying to get at the grubs

didn't even try the butane stove, had enough issues with a butane lighter to melt the padlock to the caravan ps gently caress masterlock 4lyfe

took down a tree, then chopped logs and stacked them and put all the small branches into brushpiles to encourage hedgerow formations

maybe next time there's some more farm truck news but you are just gonna have to wait for more, soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

a song of ice and fire

hi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riU5N_iBO4w

not quite as cold but it's stayed around freezing almost all the time so the ice is thick and I done bent my rod

water container felt like a rock till I broke the ice with a witty rejoinder

did some practice with the flint and steel

it was a multiple cups of coffee kinda day, need to hang the kettle lower but it's working well

more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Sunday Sacraments

busy week for non farm things, prefer the farm things tbh

hi

still not quite at the 500 litre mark but it's been a fairly dry week- brought in more seed too

not using the full spice packet is heresy, accursed is the heretic

My time is rarely my own right now but there will be astonishment at my doctrine- more, soon

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thanks for the winter pics! Very peaceful

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Nessus posted:

Thanks for the winter pics! Very peaceful

my genuine and continuing pleasure and yeah the colder it is the more still and calm it seems

full battery

today was nice and fresh

really hard to get a scale on the size of these trees- can't get far enough away to get them in shot without them disappearing into the woods

another dry few days, birds fed

gutter system got its first clean after the anti leaf systems were installed, very happy so far

brought the wonderful hedge trimmer

made a little progress on the new clearing

but the bulk of the day was wandering about two thirds of the pathways knocking back the bramble a little in places- after nearly an hour chopping the 5Ah battery was still reading 4 bars- fairly impressed so far

some of the variants are really quite fierce, without good gloves, a ripstop shirt and cordura trousers I would have been bloodied

trailcam is being pretty buggy, works fine once it's going but has a tendency to freeze up a bit during formatting cycles so it's probably time to bring in a replacement and run it into the ground

Speaking of running things into the ground, I think it's the end of an era, and I'm pretty emotional about saying goodbye to this beast, but on that note, there will be more, soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

prepare for astonishment at my doctrine

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

prepare for astonishment at my doctrine

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

BORN ON A MOUNTAIN, RAISED IN A CAVE

Sadly, it's time to say goodbye to Suzie, venerable Audi A4, 1.8T quattro sport edition, of 19 years service and one third zipties by weight.

Say hello to Ursula, Skoda Kodiaq, 2 litre TDI 4X4, edition edition

Picked it up friday, the Audi faithfully waited until after I shook on the deal to puke coolant all over the forecourt- real sad to see her go but definitely time. The new one should be a real step up in capabilities (especially hauling space) and reliability

well you know what I crave- more! soon!

also trucking and loving

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the last of barretts privateers

oh the year was 1778

HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW

first time on the mud

cold enough I should have used a fire for this

still no rain

well, not rain rain anyway

electricity levels good for the season, label adhesion moderate

anyone misplaced some fox vertebrae? write to the normal address

birds fed

today was very much thrown together at the last minute mainly so I made it down there this week- time is really pressed for me right now but I'm hoping the next visit has some actual work done (even if it's child labour) and that there will be more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuMGDp3ph4

latest trailcam is up but the sound seems weird/garbled on some mobile devices so maybe turn it down idk

went to the zoo again but they still wouldn't let me bring home any of the angry kitties or special dogs

and that bird bit me

good bird

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
For a second there I thought you had gone all Tiger King on us.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you hire trailcams?

I want to see how or why my horse breaks out at night, but not enough to buy a trailcam.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Angrymog posted:

Can you hire trailcams?

I want to see how or why my horse breaks out at night, but not enough to buy a trailcam.

Amazon, try it for a couple of nights, then send it back. You'd have to splash out of a memory card and some batteries, but that's all.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Mega Comrade posted:

For a second there I thought you had gone all Tiger King on us.

security took away my bolt cutters and catnip on arrival this time

Angrymog posted:

Can you hire trailcams?

never seen them offered for hire but this:

spookygonk posted:

Amazon, try it for a couple of nights, then send it back. You'd have to splash out of a memory card and some batteries, but that's all.

is an excellent option, as is using an old smartphone with a security cam/timelapse/trailcam app or maybe a dashcam

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
You might try asking the goons in the Ali Express thread if they know a good supplier. Pretty sure I've seen someone talk about getting one there

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I had a go on this today

it's a beast of a machine and cuts trails in no time at all

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Cable Guy posted:

You might try asking the goons in the Ali Express thread if they know a good supplier. Pretty sure I've seen someone talk about getting one there

There's some good ones available- same as many on amazon but somwwhat cheaper- I was gonna go with them but wanted easier returns/quicker delivery

AceClown posted:

I had a go on this today

it's a beast of a machine and cuts trails in no time at all

Goddamn that looks absolutely great

old bones

hello constant reader

supplies brought in, including bone cleaning juice and a new trailcam on it's shakedown cruise

as was my eldest, who is here for bones cleaning and investigative studies of bones (they want to be a veterinary doctor)

Driest february I have known- still probably have enough water for summer even without further rainfall but I expect march through to may will do us all proud and fill it to the brim/force me to make an overflow

Found this bird box on the ground during my rounds- the bark of the tree grew around the screw and forced the box off, will have to bring down a decent screwdriver and see if I can back it out and fit a washer/fix up the damage to the box. Definitely used a bunch so far, glad it was now and not in a month or two when many of our avian friends will be looking to nest up.

Monday for some extended tree chopping or path clearance duties with the younger kid I hope- fatigue stomped me real fuckin' bad at the start of the week and I'm still climbing out from under it- more, soon

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Goddamn that looks absolutely great

it's not too bad at all, the sites that we manage are joint owned between the council and Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, every once in a while they go "hey we have a few thousand quid spare, what do you lads need?" and honestly it baffles me how it happens but I'll take it

few years back we got a couple of these imported from Canada as our trails get fuckin battered with alder saplings and they're a pain in the arse to mattock out

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

AceClown posted:

it's not too bad at all, the sites that we manage are joint owned between the council and Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, every once in a while they go "hey we have a few thousand quid spare, what do you lads need?" and honestly it baffles me how it happens but I'll take it

few years back we got a couple of these imported from Canada as our trails get fuckin battered with alder saplings and they're a pain in the arse to mattock out

Those Tree poppers are great, bloody heavy though. If you can get a volunteer work party in they can clear a large area really fast. I'm currently restoring some chalk grass land and those things get the small bastard hawthorns out by the roots. Best thing is, I don't have to treat any stumps with chem afterwards.

That mower, is it a flail head as those just destroy undergrowth?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Catzilla posted:

That mower, is it a flail head as those just destroy undergrowth?

It's a mower head but it doesn't flail however it's not fully non-destructive and I wouldn't use it on a lawn if that makes sense.

The reason we use it is because we're trying to encourage populations of a threatened butterfly called a dingy skipper, they prefer low cut scrubby broken ground so we hit a 2m wide path with the green machine and then sow the edges with birds-foot trefoils.

It's also good habitat for other skipper species and the various blue's we get here.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ngl im looking at tree poppers with my bedroom eyes right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ugrIW0yA2Y

heres a short video what I done, was hoping to be there today but fate apparently wasnt as keen

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 20, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

kickstart my fart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDi5wLKoKk

Hi

There's been a little rain and with that bulge :wink: I'm sure we are over 500 litres but it don't count yet :colbert:

Which is good cause like I said previous, it's been dry here

Had to hike a distance in so not as much supplies as I wanted but I have a lot more balls to come :razz:

You got the touch, you got the power

Spangly new stove, old one brought home for overhaul and reserve duty

Also in a quick peek behind the scenes, helpful new boxes from makita and a new fuckin' huge fuckin' rucksack

Did the cooking of the sossig like only IWW locals know how

Then it was work time

even some before/after action this time goddamn

cabin site cleared a little more too but it was mainly pathway poo poo and we really earnt our sossig

Decomp piles doing their thing at 100% efficiency

More branches for these hedgerow generators, plants coming soon

Lots of buds coming into life, birds all hornt up and yelling at each other about it

Wish I had the freedom to spend most of my days like this, but until then you will just have to wait like me, for more, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

schroedinger's delivery

so on tuesday I was meant to get plants delivered so I was waiting around and it didn't happen and wednesday was the same except I sanded and polished up a slice of oak with the sander for practice (not actually before/after but the flip side as representative) and ooooooh it's smooth

and today when I had given up and was about to suppress my social anxieties and ring the nursery to start finding out where the box was the box came

so I kinda lost two days to the postal system but hopefully I can shift my schedule around and get these down on the farm tomorrow

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The birds are going mad for your fat balls, Dan!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Dead Goon posted:

The birds are going mad for your fat balls, Dan!

with how much I paid for those special posh ones I put out last time they better fuckin well be

nearly had a nibble myself tho those things were thiccc

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

entwife loot crate

yo

load carrying capacity is cool and all

but when the roads are closed, it's super fun hiking time instead

the water level?

Its going down!

25, including 3 super posh ones

9 in pots for better digging days, the rest went direct to ground

Squirrels gonna be pissed off when they find these gone

Olive oil was frozen up, had to crotch it awhile and think warm thoughts

lol, gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB0XeS5B1sI

In video form too

Well it's done for now- more, soon!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Great updat as ever.

DesperateDan posted:

lol, gently caress

Yeah, that's not necessarily healthy.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

Great updat as ever.

Yeah, that's not necessarily healthy.

Ta- and even after I scraped it off it was somehow over salty and I like salt

also I ran out of sugar and didn't have any spare sachets in the reserves but I couldn't really explain such tragedies with a picture

two other bits of news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1wKJAy_Ck

I made a video featuring fat balls and some lovely pairs of tits

and star trek enterprise is pretty fuckin' bad even with a condensed episode guide and a bunch of weed, I hope discovery is better than this and will find out soon-ish

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp3W9L1SRY

new trailcam appears in this one, initial assessment is I'm kinda impressed with the visual/audio quality, more impressed with the light level balance but the real benefit is tiny file sizes- less than half the previous models I have used

was hoping for farm based actions today but other poo poo got in the way and I ended up doing a bunch of phone calls and editing video but it does mean I'm all packed and ready for tomorrow, for which there's currently a yellow snow warning lol

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

It's been bitterly cold with wet sleet-rain today in Essex, so take it easy.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

It's been bitterly cold with wet sleet-rain today in Essex, so take it easy.

lol, I concurr, it was, indeed, indubitably cold

out of my vulcan mind

balls, tarp, rope- had to hike in from a distance again, hopefully do some proper delivery work soon

fahv hunnert litas

forgot sugar, found some this time, possibly antique

crows tend to chill out above me now, often very quietly unless they let me know they are off to hassle a buzzard

too cold to sow or plant, so spent most of my time wandering in the rain having a little :420: and some time to exist order of the 219 represent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I428g4TViyQ

video too, including robin peeps

when the wind chill factors in for -4°C and you have been out in it a few hours then heated seats are luxurious and there will be more, soon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's a spindle when it's a shrub rather than a domestic implement?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's a spindle when it's a shrub rather than a domestic implement?

its got a really pretty, quite early spring flower that bees love, is good hedgerow habitat and is fairly hardy/long lived- ends up more like a mid sized tree than a shrub if left to its own devices

has a rep as a really durable wood but it produces very good carving wood and excellent grades of charcoal for art/fuckin' around with

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

To add to this, traditionally spindles (the tool) were made from this shrub, which is why they are called Spindle bushes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Catzilla posted:

To add to this, traditionally spindles (the tool) were made from this shrub, which is why they are called Spindle bushes.

that too :)

con chorizo

high

first time on the private roads driving Ursula hell yea off-road mode wasn't activated but I thought about it a little

better than hauling any of this poo poo the hard way-

some stuff for making chopping and working easier

some creature comforts and sundries

and super special treats for the birdos

Didn't think it has gone up till I realised it was a 6 and not a 5 in front of the 00's

Deer been eating my good plants again, plants fighting back tho

IWW local representatives in good order and standing, full stomachs and many brews

Lots of bugs out

Got some trees and shrubs into the ground on hedgerow boosting duties

Neatened up the cut logs a little, as well as some pathway maintenance that didn't get photos just pretend we did.... good.

had to patch up the younger one but it's all good

Uncovered this in the copse- hard to tell with it all rotted in half and such but the size feels wrong for any battery type I know of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwIeVndwKEY

so this is a thing now I guess

coming up next we got more infrastructure upgrades and/or a surprise tool that will help us later- we shall see what arrives first- more, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

absolutely nothing arrived *cough*

:jihad:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

do tell

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AKZ posted:

do tell

well for me to have put discovery even in the same sentence as enterprise feels an insult- have been binge watching discovery in my rest times and loving it as a breath of hope, love, diversity and wonder whereas I can remember maybe three enjoyable enterprise episodes, a vague longer term plotline or two and the rest is suppressed painful memories fuk u rick berman

operation: get thae bins oot

just a brief delivery, coffee and birdfeeding trip today while I was local and needed to empty the car out

haven't seen this little comrade since last summer, promptly tried to menace my toes bless him

there's parts of a public road somewhere under all this

first things transported that wouldn't have fit in the audi whatsoever, two 330 litre composting bins, using my new infrastructure to build new infrastructure and dear reader, this is going to be a common theme

I have not successfully captured the level of sag exhibited here

Whereas here I cropped out my waistline intentionally but it serves as a visual display of the versatile nature of modern workwear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRtKvWlMjdA

crows especially raucous today

Well I'm not one to tease what's on this afternoon's agenda, there will be more, soon!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

I have not successfully captured the level of sag exhibited here.
I take it that is able to withstand that much (and more) water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

DesperateDan posted:

Whereas here I cropped out my waistline intentionally but it serves as a visual display of the versatile nature of modern workwear

Is that an open ceramic coffee mug? You madman. You can get closed-cap thermoses that you can swig out of with the press of a button - I have a Contigo one and my tea follows me around all afternoon while I’m wrangling the kids AND stays hot