Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pretty sure the teaser was for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i62oNmyEyw

That's a really bad trailer btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

.....that..... that cannot be real..... :stare:

Did... did somebody hack the Doctor Who Youtube account or is this a parody account or.... something?

:psyduck:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sometimes voice actors don't translate well to live action, and sometimes BF needs to slow their roll costuming them for pics and promos...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I see step 1 in RTD's master plan to make DW as big a franchise as Marvel or Star Wars is going just swimmingly :v:

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's got some proper 80s / 90s bbc education look and read vibes. Beautiful.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Ah yes all the gravitas of a 3 year old

What a terrible job by the costume department :lol:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I think the funniest part about this whole thing is the expression on her face in the thumbnail for this video, just :stare: like someone who freezes up the moment a camera is pointed at them.

Coincidentally, it's also the same :stare: expression that the people who fired this video up had on their faces, when they were probably expecting some exciting DW news, and were instead confronted with what looks like a scene from a particularly bad 1990s FMV game :v:

E: she also reminds me of how Andrea Martin's character (the lady married to the non-English speaking Dutch guy) reacts whenever the camera's on her in this classic SCTV sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZBnUR6P-A

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 20, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She’s not going to be anyone’s paving slab any more!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

That's Sooz Kempner not Shirley Henderson (who's 20 years older, for a start)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There's a good comment that perfectly sums it up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

There's a good comment that perfectly sums it up.

One of my favorite comments on that vid was this one:

quote:

Budget: £2
Lunch: £1.50
Actual Budget: 50p

Though, the best is very probably this one:

quote:

I thought they got rid of Chibnall?

E: still shaking my head that they posted that video in the hopes that it would get people excited enough to spend actual money on all the various media this character is going to appear in, in order to properly follow their trials and tribulations

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 20, 2023

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
It’s an interesting choice of the BBC to launch another multi platform project (including the lovely mobile game!) at a time when the UK is in an economic crisis, and a lot of people won’t have the disposable cash to follow the whole story.

I wonder if this will actually tie in with the TV series, or if it’s going to be another Time Lord Victorious where it was ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zaroff posted:

It’s an interesting choice of the BBC to launch another multi platform project (including the lovely mobile game!) at a time when the UK is in an economic crisis, and a lot of people won’t have the disposable cash to follow the whole story.

I wonder if this will actually tie in with the TV series, or if it’s going to be another Time Lord Victorious where it was ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I think you know what the answer is here

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It looks like a parody or skit. Where's the quality control? Or am... am I too old for this tv show now?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

lol glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

"This is just as bad as blowjob tile, RTD is back!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Sometimes voice actors don't translate well to live action, and sometimes BF needs to slow their roll costuming them for pics and promos...

That's not BF, that's the beeb.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

It looks like a parody or skit. Where's the quality control? Or am... am I too old for this tv show now?

Don't worry, friend, it happens to almost all of us sooner or later. :corsair:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It doesn't look good but I haven't seen a "character in a void announces what they're about and what the plot is" that looks good in general, it's just something that doesn't appeal to me at all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

quote:

Budget: £2
Lunch: £1.50
Actual Budget: 50p

RTD: When you said you'd give me the same budget as JNT got, I assumed you would at least adjust for inflation! :mad:
BBC: That IS adjusted for inflation :negative:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't look good but I haven't seen a "character in a void announces what they're about and what the plot is" that looks good in general, it's just something that doesn't appeal to me at all

I think a whole lot of people are in "a void" about this, as in they're gonna "a void" following or buying this shite :v:

Jerusalem posted:

RTD: When you said you'd give me the same budget as JNT got, I assumed you would at least adjust for inflation! :mad:
BBC: That IS adjusted for inflation :negative:

The BBC's SFX department apparently currently consists of one greenscreen left over from the Pertwee era (it's more like a green blanket, really, and it's got some patchy spots on it, but it's still perfectly serviceable) and a teenager whose dad lets him use the computer (but only if he's gotten all his household chores done first), and who has pretty obviously recently played the Xen portions of Half-Life

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 20, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor appearing in Loki S2 is about to leak out I guess.

Unfortunately, if rumors are to be believed today, Loki just got canned.

Genius move if true.

Also, this seems like Big Finish trying to do some of the promo material BBC did for the series releases (that thing with Peri from a bit back etc) but while BBC could barely pull off making it look decent (IMO) there's no way BF can attempt to mimic that, not without a lot more practice. Just not their wheelhouse. Stick to the audio-only trailers with some maybe animated still shots, that's where their strengths lie IMO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McGann posted:

Genius move if true.

Oh dear, did they find out the first season was actually good and take steps to rectify the problem? :doh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

McGann posted:

Genius move if true.

Also, this seems like Big Finish trying to do some of the promo material BBC did for the series releases (that thing with Peri from a bit back etc) but while BBC could barely pull off making it look decent (IMO) there's no way BF can attempt to mimic that, not without a lot more practice. Just not their wheelhouse. Stick to the audio-only trailers with some maybe animated still shots, that's where their strengths lie IMO

This is the BBC what done this. It's up on the official DW YT channel and all. BF will be a part of this "event" but to the best of my knowledge, this isn't their handiwork.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Also, this seems like Big Finish trying to do some of the promo material BBC did for the series releases

Like I said above, this is the BBC itself doing this. Big Finish is involved in some capacity, since it's a multi-media experience and they'll probably be doing one or a handful of the 24 parts, similar to how they were a part of Time Lord Victorious. But it's being run by the BBC, and it's whoever was in charge at the BBC that decided to put that promo together.

Edit: yep, someone else said it too

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The budget was £4 for that video because when they asked RTD how much to spend he just reflexively answered “Four to Doom’s Day.”

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sooz Kempner?! No way! Good for her

(clip looks like poo poo though lol)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

The budget was £4 for that video because when they asked RTD how much to spend he just reflexively answered “Four to Doom’s Day.”

The BBC actually had a pretty lavish budget set aside for this shoot, but then someone reminded the Beeb that they still owed them £11 from lunchtime last week

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The production ran dramatically over budget and behind schedule when someone had to feed the parking meter

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Huh! Looks a lot like her!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

McGann posted:

Eh, canning completed projects is more of a WB thing than a Mouse thing.

Given how essential Loki is to the current big story arc of the films, they’re probably doing a bunch of rescheduling than outright cancellation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I do like the monocle

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'll just helpfully point out that, as showrunner and caretaker of DW's future going forward, RTD had to have signed off on this. He saw that video, its production values, the SFX, the costume, the way that lady looked at the camera and delivered her lines, and even the SoundCloud rap beat at the very end, and said "yes I am fine with this being representative of my vision for the future direction of the show".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One thing I did notice was that the Doctor’s pronouns are now ‘they’. Which makes sense because plural incarnations, but also feels like a RTD edict.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

McGann posted:

I've seen Quantumania and let's just say I doubt that very much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, same. Reshuffled for broadcast, but definitely not cancelled. There’s literally a clip of Loki s2 at the end of Quantumania.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the one hand, that video is nowhere near the worst Doctor Who media ever produced.

On the other, I did have to remind myself that it's nowhere near the worst Doctor Who media ever produced.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's the worst piece of Doctor Who media ever produced?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And why is it The Twin Dilemma?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It's not the worst piece of DW media to be sure, when put in the context of DW's historically bad production values. But when put in the context of there being much recent media hype about DW having an increased budget (though to be fair, that budget is obviously more for the actual production of the show)? Oh yeah, it's definitely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

And why is it The Twin Dilemma?

Nekromanteia is in the running, surely?