Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

oliveoil posted:

Supposedly I do have ADHD. I'll ask my psych again though. Maybe I've been going to the wrong kinds of doctors.

Based on your post history here, I'm pretty confident that you do have ADHD and that it's affecting your performance. It can also affect your sleep, so getting treatment may improve that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

prom candy posted:

Have you ruled out ADHD?

Yeah I was gonna post this; undiagnosed ADHD is a big thing because of toxic views about mental health in society at large.

Exhaustion can also be a sign of anxiety - if your spend your day worrying about a lot of things that mental labor can also make you fatigued and diminish your ability to focus. It might be worth considering if you think that’s something to talk to your doctor about as well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

oliveoil posted:

Do you usually have meetings with your lead when your project with an estimated 3 month timeline slips 2 or 3 days to figure out how to get it back on track?

I was super tired for a few days and worked pretty slowly. There's no "blocker" or work that suddenly needs to be parallelized or need for me to get some expert to explain how the system works to speed things up. It doesn't really make sense to me.

It's the same for individual sprint estimates. You say you're finishing early and that's fine. You say not everything is gonna get done this sprint and suddenly it's meetings on how to get you back on track. You're gonna over or underestimate the task length almost 100% of the time so about half the time you're gonna be off. I've never had these meetings about why something isn't done yet and how to get it "back on track" in 8 years till I got on this team so it seems a little unusual.

It feels demoralizing though.

I get normal perf ratings but I constantly feel like I'm on the verge of losing my job. I find it so stressful.
I used to get worried about my job when people started badgering me about stuff like this.

Experience has taught me that the reason managers get like this is because they feel THEIR jobs are on the line, and if you actually pick up the pace and start working harder/etc, that person is probably going to be gone from the company and you'll be left championing the project. The other possibility is that the people who are bad at managing you remain in the company and you reinforce this behavior. Neither is a good outcome.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Steve French posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that for a 3 month project the idea that you can measure whether you’re on track with 2-3 day precision is absurd unless you’re at the end of the project? I guess OP didn’t mention how far along the project is

Yeah, this.

In my experience, estimates are only as accurate as T-shirt sizes, certainly can't pinpoint them to days/hours worth of effort. The big value of estimates is when there's lack of consensus: if some believe the task is Big and others believe it's Small, that suggests someone's working off incorrect assumptions / information.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

oliveoil posted:

Do you usually have meetings with your lead when your project with an estimated 3 month timeline slips 2 or 3 days to figure out how to get it back on track?

I was super tired for a few days and worked pretty slowly. There's no "blocker" or work that suddenly needs to be parallelized or need for me to get some expert to explain how the system works to speed things up. It doesn't really make sense to me.

It's the same for individual sprint estimates. You say you're finishing early and that's fine. You say not everything is gonna get done this sprint and suddenly it's meetings on how to get you back on track. You're gonna over or underestimate the task length almost 100% of the time so about half the time you're gonna be off. I've never had these meetings about why something isn't done yet and how to get it "back on track" in 8 years till I got on this team so it seems a little unusual.

It feels demoralizing though.

I get normal perf ratings but I constantly feel like I'm on the verge of losing my job. I find it so stressful.
The key question is "who needs the estimate at this level of granularity and this confidence?" If it's your TL, there's an opportunity to reset expectations and look to be treated as a professional. But if the poo poo is rolling downhill and they're between it and you, do what they ask and don't make them look like an idiot in meetings while they're doing air cover for you.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
General reminder that the most important job a middle manager has is to justify their own job, so an estimate slipping by a few days in the middle of a months-long project is absolute blood in the water for them. Don't take it personally and if they try to give you any poo poo at all over it, tell them to jump in a lake.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Hopefully it was just 15 to 30 minutes about."this is taking longer than expected" thats totally reasonable, especially if it isn't done yet. A lot of managers have a lot going on, and it's better to check issues early rather than let things slide and then race at the end

Good luck with your brain. Maybe you do have ADHD, but please don't just accept the diagnosis of anyone here

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tesla reached out about a "field reliability engineer" job. Which is a weird name but I have SRE on my linkedin so I fell into their funnel. The recruiter had not a lot of information on it, kind of sounded like she was filling in for another lady who went on maternity leave. I guess it has to do with hardware in the field so it's field instead of site. The job description sounds like it'd be doing tooling for a bunch of statistical analysis of hardware in a lab at stanford

There are only 14 posts in this thread that even mention tesla by name, this was the only relevant post

Plorkyeran posted:

People who aren't okay with being treated badly for poor pay just aren't working for Tesla to begin with. Musk's companies have had a reputation for being a bad place to work for a long time.

Is this still thread consensus? I am kind of bored of working for SAAS startups. Maybe a year at Tesla would give me a new, interesting learning experience? Or are they still just a sausage grinder for tech talent at all levels.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Hadlock posted:

Tesla reached out about a "field reliability engineer" job. Which is a weird name but I have SRE on my linkedin so I fell into their funnel. The recruiter had not a lot of information on it, kind of sounded like she was filling in for another lady who went on maternity leave. I guess it has to do with hardware in the field so it's field instead of site. The job description sounds like it'd be doing tooling for a bunch of statistical analysis of hardware in a lab at stanford

There are only 14 posts in this thread that even mention tesla by name, this was the only relevant post

Is this still thread consensus? I am kind of bored of working for SAAS startups. Maybe a year at Tesla would give me a new, interesting learning experience? Or are they still just a sausage grinder for tech talent at all levels.

I mean, Musk is distracted, so maybe things have improved there?

(no, they probably haven't)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

If you are willing to devote your entire life to making lovely cars then take the job, but don't work for an Elon Musk company if you care about your free time at all. This was my advice even before the Twitter nonsense based on other people who have worked at Musk companies

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

Have you paid any attention at all to how he's managing twitter?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A past colleague works on the frontend team for self driving. He regularly works 70+ hours a week and has seen Musk fire people on the spot for minor issues too many times to count.

Stay far away.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

what rock have you been living under and is there room for one more?

He’s an absolute shitstain of a human being and I would rather chew glass than spend one iota of effort helping anything associated with him.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yeah, WTF? Are you this guy?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gbut posted:

i want to meet that guy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:lmao:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

gbut posted:

I'd work at any of those over a Musk Co tbh

I am willing to sacrifice ethics more than I'm willing to sacrifice my free time

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My friend says he prefers not to hire Tesla engineers for manufacturing engineer positions because even if they're smart they need to be taught to not take shortcuts, so don't count on the experience being a huge help

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This would be on the power side, wild guess but thinking it might be related to grid scale battery or solar

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Every red flag you ignore on the way in to a Tesla job will smack you in the groin while you're there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jose Valasquez posted:

I am willing to sacrifice ethics more than I'm willing to sacrifice my free time

I realize we don't have a quip for a thread title but maybe we ought to

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's a big oof

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How does the modern Java stack do the SQL? I work with Laravel and I enjoy working with Eloquent/Query Builder. Back in the day I did Hibernate, MyBatis, etc. Always sort of thinking of getting back into Java development.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hibernate/JPA is still ubiquitous (especially with Spring) but I’ve dabbled a bit with jOOQ and there are some pros and cons to it depending on your use case.

I have no love for Hibernate but for basic CRUD stuff that avoids most of the footguns it is pretty easy overall. Plus you can always drop to writing your own SQL if need be.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

How are people finding layoffs and tech making GBS threads itself? I've dodged one round of layoffs and am not very confident about dodging the next 1-10 rounds. Also not excited to interview against the tens of thousands of other laid off faang engineers if i get got 😂😂

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 21, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm very safe in my current position but would love to work somewhere else

the prospect of finding a new job in this corrected tech landscape feels bleak though

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I switched jobs just as layoffs were starting. I'm out of the doge-eat-doge world of second-tier ad-tech, and working reduced hours at a non-profit. It's stable as it is not dependent on the "market," the org's values highly align with mine making it easy to love my work no matter how tedious it might be otherwise, but I'm definitely earning less than half of what I could. On the other hand, my labor is not lining up some billionaire's pockets, and I'm not exploiting people, so I think it's worth it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Got laid off, had two offers within a day or two. Managed to avoid going down in pay, but only just.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Haven't gotten hit, but I've gotten a couple extremely low-ball offers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

thotsky posted:

Got laid off, had two offers within a day or two. Managed to avoid going down in pay, but only just.

That's good news! I'm glad you found a new place, I remember hearing you were looking.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

awesomeolion posted:

How are people finding layoffs and tech making GBS threads itself? I've dodged one round of layoffs and am not very confident about dodging the next 1-10 rounds. Also not excited to interview against the tens of thousands of other laid off faang engineers if i get got 😂😂

I've dodged two rounds of layoffs so far. I'm really hoping there is not a third round because between the layoffs and additional attrition we're down like 35% of engineering staff from the 2021 peak and teams are really feeling it. Multiple reorgs, realignments, and reprioritizations have caused confusion and disarray and loss of technical tribal knowledge, on top of the general malaise of slumping morale and motivation. We're holding it together okay but it has undeniably been a big blow.

I've personally done alright through it all so far, knock on wood. Wrangled a promo and my comp is pretty competitive, which is both reassuring but also feel like it ups the pressure to perform, and then being on a new team in a less familiar area with unclear expectations adds stress. I'm not currently looking and hope to not be forced into looking soon. If I do get laid off I might trim some lifestyle fat and take a sabbatical or something idk. Lucky to be in a place in life where I could probably do that.

I have some close friends that are experienced devs and have been interviewing, and the market is certainly not as gangbusters as it was before but sounds like if you've got real experience and can interview well the senior+ market is still holding together somewhat. Crazy 500k+ FAANG offers have dried up considerably but small-medium companies paying more like 200-300k are hiring.

It's the junior-mid market that has completely poo poo the bed and is way overpopulated. It really sucks to be an unemployed junior dev right now since they also probably have the least cushion and network to fall back on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had three rounds since last summer, maybe 4 I forget. Each time shedding about 10% engineering staff. They over hired since we were one of the companies that "benefited" from covid and post covid spending habits went back to normal, so not sure how useful that data is

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Comb Your Beard posted:

How does the modern Java stack do the SQL? I work with Laravel and I enjoy working with Eloquent/Query Builder. Back in the day I did Hibernate, MyBatis, etc. Always sort of thinking of getting back into Java development.

Kotlin + jdbclite/exposed/roll your own layer, if you want to be sane IMO. Internally at my large org there's been a vanilla Kotlin vs Spring/Micronaut war being waged for several years, but with all the CVEs and transitive dependency hell, vanilla is starting to finally gain adoption with the framework holdouts.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Amazon just announced new layoffs. No clue if my org will be impacted. Morale is down the toilet. If I get laid off I’ll use it as a good chance to take some time for myself and eventually look for a 4-day week position, even if it takes some time.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

gently caress, yeah. Move that needle.

The 40hr/week is arbitrary and ridiculous, and we have all accepted it for too long.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is this tech making GBS threads itself or just faang returning to not insane headcount?

Most of my friends have found like me, that for the last few years they struggled to find anyone to hire because faang was hoovering up everyone.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Probably a useless data point, but I've been interviewing a bunch of laid-off engineers from non-FAANG companies over the past few weeks

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Anecdata: Boss said there was a layoff round that didn’t affect us. Hiring freeze with no more layoff plans. Safe… for now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mega Comrade posted:

Is this tech making GBS threads itself or just faang returning to not insane headcount?

Most of my friends have found like me, that for the last few years they struggled to find anyone to hire because faang was hoovering up everyone.

I think it's a correction from the over-hiring more than anything. Stable companies are still making money, startups are still trying to make it big, but the insane money tap has been closed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not surprising at all. Looks like tech lost a lot of bets it made during covid. Google, for example, is worrying over all these buildings they bought in Boston that are now mostly empty. Hindsight is 20/20, but it still seems like a pretty obvious fuckup.