Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol i reposted some of the IPCC stuff in another place and some guy decided to go off about how you know, ozone hole stuff and acid rain were nbd and luckily multiple people were like dude we actually did poo poo about both of those things which is why they (mostly)* went away.

Im always amazed how people can build these narratives to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nocturtle posted:

How much of a leap?

Cut GHG emissions by 80% in the next 15 years, with maybe up to 10Gt/year of negative emissions capacity going forward. Looks good.

https://twitter.com/Tulsabill55/status/1454246038869618688

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

How can there be a shortage of marine life if I can get fresh caught Atlantic salmon here in the Midwest????

e: poo poo, i forgot to freeze that filet and now it's a week past expiration

I hate it when I make expensive compost.

Nocturtle posted:

How much of a leap?

Cut GHG emissions by 80% in the next 15 years, with maybe up to 10Gt/year of negative emissions capacity going forward. Looks good.

How can any of these leaders look at the data and say 1.5 is still achievable?

brakeless posted:

not to worry, even after no meaningful emission reductions during the next seven years, we can still reach climate targets in 2030 by massive worldwide application of neutron bombs

Ah, that's how.

And there it is - Died with capitalism, or of capitalism?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Here's my prediction:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

lol i reposted some of the IPCC stuff in another place and some guy decided to go off about how you know, ozone hole stuff and acid rain were nbd and luckily multiple people were like dude we actually did poo poo about both of those things which is why they (mostly)* went away.

Im always amazed how people can build these narratives to themselves.

We were also incredibly lucky with the ozone, it almost went the other way

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

err posted:

i like how they keep extending arbitrary deadlines to spread hopium

https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1637825486976950277

this is your FINAL WARNING❗️
I mean it this time :argh:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

aren't we already at 1.5 C?

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://www.zmescience.com/science/biology/bd-fungus-kills-frogs/

quote:

A fungus that gruesomely kills frogs and other amphibians is responsible for the biggest decline in wildlife in recorded history. In the past 50 years since the first outbreaks were signaled by biologists, the disease, known as chytridiomycosis, has been linked to massive declines in populations (over 90%) and extinctions of hundreds of amphibian species.

quote:

“It’s very important to note that Bd didn’t spread worldwide without humans helping in one way or another,” added co-author Hasan Sulaeman. “It’s not the first pathogen that affects hundreds of species worldwide and it’s not going to be the last.”

Oopsy we spread a fungus across the world that's decimated 90% of amphibians species.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Hmm. So by 2045 when the mass death kicks off in earnest I'll be in my 60s. I'll live to see the end but will be too old to protect myself from the roving cannibal warlords. Not great, but not terrible.

A decade or too older and I could have had the boomer good life and died before poo poo kicked off. A decade or two younger and I could have been a nihilistic zoomer living the mad max life. Instead I'll be a decrepit older millennial.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Mar 20, 2023

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Fell Mood posted:

Hmm. So by 2045 when the mass death kicks off in earnest I'll be in my 60s. I'll live to see the end but will be too old to protect myself from the roving cannibal warlords. Not great, but not terrible.

same. however Im trying to lean into my “old age and treachery” set of skills in advance.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fell Mood posted:

A decade or too older and I could have had the boomer good life and died before poo poo kicked off. A decade or two younger and I could have been a nihilistic zoomer living the mad max life. Instead I'll be a decrepit older millennial.

Just :lol: if you plan to live into your 60's

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I keep making jokes that i've officially hit midlife at 35 and it keeps making doctors and poo poo really uncomfortable and I find it hilarious. "but ... youll.. probably live longer???" "have you see our trend line as a nation? lol"

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

silicone thrills posted:

I keep making jokes that i've officially hit midlife at 35 and it keeps making doctors and poo poo really uncomfortable and I find it hilarious. "but ... youll.. probably live longer???" "have you see our trend line as a nation? lol"

70 is asking a lot like bruh, Ill have micro-plastic based gout in 3-6 months probably

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

Between 1.2 and 1.3 but there's the baked in warming that hasn't hit yet which will put us over the top even if all carbon emissions stopped tomorrow

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Mayor Dave posted:

Between 1.2 and 1.3 but there's the baked in warming that hasn't hit yet which will put us over the top even if all carbon emissions stopped tomorrow

some places are already 1.5c+, such as new england

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sat through a work meeting about sustainability. lol.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah, but if you've opted out of getting COVID, life expectancy should be stable until the famines and heavy unrest start happening.

Don't worry, that won't start happening until 2100 2080 2060 2050 2045 2030 November.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

I just want to live long enough to let out some powerful lols and lmaos when the collapse/nukes/whatever happens. It'll be interesting to see how it actually plays out.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

antipattern posted:

I just want to live long enough to let out some powerful lols and lmaos when the collapse/nukes/whatever happens. It'll be interesting to see how it actually plays out.

this is it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zodium posted:

this is it.

Yeah, the movies make it seem exciting, but it's just a long, slow slog of everything gradually getting worse over decades, you can't just skip to Fury Road.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

well that's a bummer

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Real hurthling! posted:

sat through a work meeting about sustainability. lol.

be sure to recycle your cans in the cafeteria

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

antipattern posted:

well that's a bummer

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

also all the remaining fossil fuel-related aerosols falling out of the sky would most likely push us over that sacred treshold

hell it might even get us to 2 in one go although there's no 100 % Scientific Guarantee

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this earth place sounds hosed up.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait till we blot out the sun so we can keep emitting as much CO2 as we want, and then everyone starves when the ocean acidifies from all the CO2.

The dim diffuse lighting will be so much easier on my eyes.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fell Mood posted:

Don't worry everything's gonna be worse and faster than expected, so you most likely won't have to wait that long :)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

We are only at 1.2c or so in current temperature rise. The line before this report was that we are virtually guaranteed for 1.5c ...BUT it would just be a transitory 1.5c. A temporary 1.5c that would quickly reverse if we did a list of amazingly intricate, involved and expensive things globally by the late 2030s that we aren't going to do. Also there may be volcanoes or something that could help limit temperature rise.

Seems like the line has moved to non-transitory 1.5c being the penalty for not doing all of that poo poo we aren't going to do and it happening sooner than we thought within this decade.

It's still 20 years behind but it's a half step forward I guess

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2023/03/20/leading-climate-scientists-send-the-grimmest-of-warnings-00082767

noticed this article had a sponsor i wasn't familiar with. they pledged to have their "portfolio" be net-zero emissions by 2050

it's an oil company lol

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Just a Moron posted:

How could they possibly know there are 170 trillion plastic particles in the ocean. No one can even count that high! Ridiculous
I read the news today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

(e: I'd love to turn you on)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
What can one realistically do at this point other than scream lol into a pillow?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Confusedslight posted:

What can one realistically do at this point other than scream lol into a pillow?

WebRip.1080p.BluRay.First.Reformed.ALTERNATE.ENDING.torrent

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Confusedslight posted:

You could always [REDACTED]

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Confusedslight posted:

i recommend u scream lmao into the soot-stained sky

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Freezer posted:

Here's my prediction:

If we're lucky*, there will be a fairly precipitous decline sometime between 2040 and 2060.

* everyone dying is pretty bad, but there are worse fates that I can imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just want to have things be normal long enough for me to stockpile my coffee and food and have the next Skyrim and Zelda's come out. Once those are out I have enough games to just vibe as everything goes down and I chill with my cool partner and write books and play games and read. I don't need much.

(I know Starfield comes first and I plan on getting that too. If Skyrim 6 doesn't get made before everything gets made I'll be sad, but at least Zelda is coming out soon.).