Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Regression will come when teams figure out how to stop Pettersson entering the slot with enough time and space to decide between shooting and passing backdoor.

It will haunt me forever that we could've had Petterson locked up for $8-9m per long term but Benning decided it was more important to trade for OEL and bridged him instead. He's gonna make $12m+ on his next deal now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AndrewDestin1/status/1637825208865157120?s=20

Rutta, Pettersson and Petry apparently are all injured now. Pretty bad

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Jesus Christ Winnipeg... stop it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We need young, smooth skating dmen to execute my system.
Call up Taylor Fedun

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Misanthrope posted:

At this point I'm torn between hoping they make the playoffs because they have a good enough roster to make a decent run in the West, and hoping they miss the playoffs because there is something seriously wrong with this roster that they have been underperforming for 5 years and maybe missing the playoffs for two consecutive years will bring about some major changes in the off season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

We need young, smooth skating dmen to execute my system.
Call up Taylor Fedun

I'm pretty sure Sullivan has never said and will never say 'young'

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pettersson being out for a while is extremely devastating. That's probably the worst injury they could have had short of Crosby or Malkin going down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah if his season's over or nearly over that pushes me back to "probably not making the playoffs". It's not an easy schedule down the homestretch.

Not making the playoffs is my preferred outcome at this point--potential tiny shot at Bedard, guarantees Burkestall's termination, don't have to watch the Bruins steamroll them. So, unironically :tif:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 20, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah if his season's over or nearly over that pushes me back to "probably not making the playoffs". It's not an easy schedule down the homestretch.

The Pens actually have an easier schedule than the Islanders or Panthers do (but not by a lot). Source: https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/remaining_schedule_strength

This injury is real bad though. It's even worse because Ty Smith is injured so there's no good call-ups really.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
on one hand I want the Calgary Flames to win the Stanley cup but on the other hand I have a drawing of a kitty

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Those 4 points are really 5 points too because the Flames have so few ROWs. If Winnipeg plays at their current points pace the Flames would need to get around 17/18 points out of their last 12 games.

Both of them have pretty easy schedules though. Calgary might need to get like 19 or even 20 points.

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDestin1/status/1637825208865157120?s=20

Rutta, Pettersson and Petry apparently are all injured now. Pretty bad

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens actually have an easier schedule than the Islanders or Panthers do (but not by a lot). Source: https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/remaining_schedule_strength

This injury is real bad though. It's even worse because Ty Smith is injured so there's no good call-ups really.

Well that answers why the gently caress Fedun is in the team and not Smith. This is going to own.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
On the other hand Florida seems like an exponentially more difficult first round matchup than PIT/NYI and they're looking likely to sneak in right now. Doubt they have the depth to beat Boston but that's an interesting series vs. Svechnikovless Carolina should it happen.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I guess via hook or crook we will get to see PoJ with Letang, but boy oh boy has nothing inspired confidence in the Pens this season. It's cool Jarry and DeSmith will step up with.950s I'm sure.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I guess via hook or crook we will get to see PoJ with Letang, but boy oh boy has nothing inspired confidence in the Pens this season. It's cool Jarry and DeSmith will step up with.950s I'm sure.

It doesn't help that POJ has struggled a bit since coming back into the lineup. Scratching him and making lose whatever rhythm he had going was probably not great

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

T-Bone posted:

Both of them have pretty easy schedules though. Calgary might need to get like 19 or even 20 points.

Agreed... I think 96 maybe 97 points is the cutoff... it requires Calgary to play at a pace they haven't played at all season.

Oh and Markstrom needs to stop the loving puck...

point 89 loving 1... 30 points off of last year, good season Jacob, $6 million well earned.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The list of Pens that haven't looked like flaming dogshit any part of this year is quite short. I really really hope PoJ has an absolute stormer tonight l, but in limited minutes against tougher opposition it has been extremely ugly for him.

Edit: there is also still time for Seattle to implode....says increasingly nervous Rex.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know I occasionally derail this thread with minor league stuff, but, the Iowa Wild are wearing a local artist designed sweater against Grand Rapids on the 25th, and they're being auctioned off after the game.

My goodness, look at that Goldfinch shoulder crest ...

https://twitter.com/IAWild/status/1637856065466298369/photo/4

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god I need a shirt with that goldfinch logo immediately

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Edit: there is also still time for Seattle to implode....says increasingly nervous Rex.

Seattle sure do seem like they're trying to implode. They do have to play Dallas and Minnesota in the next week, but have two games in Nashville Thursday and Saturday (wtf is with this schedule this year). The end of the schedule is pretty easy though. Three games against Arizona, and one each of Chicago, Anaheim, and Vancouver. I would expect Seattle to make the playoffs, Calgary and Nashville are 6/7 pts back and that's a fairly big swing.

Shooting percentage is still falling though.

E: Love those Iowa Wild sweaters.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 20, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

And they just recalled the wrong goalie from the FIrebirds.

..Really though anyone other than Jones is fine by me. It was fun when he looked like a competent goalie for a bit there but the wheels doth fallen off that one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Seattle would have to completely collapse. 6 point lead with a game in hand on Calgary, they're like 90%+ to make.

It's pretty much down to Winnipeg/Calgary and Winnipeg is still probably like a 60-70% favorite to make it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Broad Street Hockey is breaking off from SBNation offering a free and various paid models and FAS is gonna love the tier names

quote:

When we go live, you’ll be asked to subscribe to the site. This doesn’t necessarily mean pay us money, just that you’ll need to make a new account in order to comment on any articles. Same as you did here. Now, about that whole money thing...

Here’s what the new BSH will offer, by tier:

The Jay Rosehill Tier - Free
This tier is our free-to-all, entry-level content offering. As part of the Jay Rosehill you will have access to the Fly By and all Game Threads. As long as you’ve made an account on the site, you’ll be able to participate in the comments.

The Matt(Meat) Read - $5 per month or $50 per year
You get everything in the Rosehill plus Previews, Recaps, all breaking news, and the weekly Prospect Report.

The Wayne Simmonds - $10 per month or $100 per year
The Simmer gives you all of the above plus all other articles on BSH — analysis, prospect deep-dives, opinion pieces, player grades, Everything Is Sports, etc. All the things.

The Eric Lindros - $15 per month or $150 per year
All of the above plus a weekly newsletter and access to a private BSH Discord. The newsletter aims to be more interesting than just a regular article about hockey. If you’re familiar with the Defector newsletter, it will be in that spirit. Written by one of the BSH writers, the newsletter will be more of a free-form, conversational piece. I think you’ll like it, it’s going to be really fun.

The Andrew MacDonald - $100 per month or $1,000 per year
You get exactly what is in the Lindros tier but you’re paying way, way too much for it. Everyone thinks you are big dumb for paying that much for this content. But like Andrew MacDonald, if you want to overpay us, we aren’t going to stop you.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

Agreed... I think 96 maybe 97 points is the cutoff... it requires Calgary to play at a pace they haven't played at all season.

Oh and Markstrom needs to stop the loving puck...

point 89 loving 1... 30 points off of last year, good season Jacob, $6 million well earned.

Why did they sign Vladar if they aren't willing to play him?

Also does Sutter hate young goalies like he hates young skaters? Cause Dustin Wolf is like, right there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I can just tell Florida is going to suddenly remember how they won the President's Trophy last year and storm into a wild card + upset Boston or Carolina.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Riley Jane at winging it in Motown has a very good read about her experiences as a trans woman playing hockey

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Misanthrope posted:

or keep going

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why did they sign Vladar if they aren't willing to play him?

He has played 24 times and also been bad

Also Huberdeau is 5th on the Flames in scoring and has fewer points than Rasmus Andersson. He has 6 more points than Dillon Dube who makes $8m a year less. Mangiapane is gonna finish the year with 20 fewer goals than last season in the same number of games. I just wanted to point that out.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I knew Vladar sucked and never understood the signing, but lol a .876 since January 1st in 11 entire games.

Call up Dustin Wolf!!!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

And they just recalled the wrong goalie from the FIrebirds.

..Really though anyone other than Jones is fine by me. It was fun when he looked like a competent goalie for a bit there but the wheels doth fallen off that one.

I really expected to see Dreidger on the call up as well. D'accord [sic] is still probably better than Jones, but it's a lot to be paying Dreidger to be playing in the AHL. But that 3.5m is why they called up Daccord anyway. They couldn't fit Dreidger in under the cap. The difference between the cap penalty and his actual is bigger than the space they had left.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Call up Dustin Wolf!!!

Are there any good sub 6' goaltenders in the NHL aside from Jusse Saros?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

What's Wolf's actual height? I thought he was 6'0"

Shersterkin and Georgiev are both 6'1",

And Halak is 5'11"

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I can just tell Florida is going to suddenly remember how they won the President's Trophy last year and storm into a wild card + upset Boston or Carolina.

Florida's probably a scarier matchup than a hot Sorokin even, yeah?

Feels like the Bruins could overcome a goalie playing out of his mind with their finishing.

ThinkTank posted:

Bader Warning :siren:

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/status/1636023587156160519

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wolf is incredibly liberally listed at 183cm which is a shade under 6' but if he's actually over 175cm (5'9) I'll eat a hat.

He's small and looks it out there but is a great agility guy. He can move laterally lightning quick and has a great glove, but hasn't faced NHL level snipers that will pick corners over his shoulders yet. His numbers are impressive at every level so I'll defer to him being legitimately talented until he proves otherwise, but there's no doubt the odds are stacked against him in the NHL though.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not making the playoffs is my preferred outcome at this point--potential tiny shot at Bedard, guarantees Burkestall's termination, don't have to watch the Bruins steamroll them. So, unironically :tif:

isnt the max you can move up in the lotto 10 spots? even if pitt misses i have trouble seeing them be in the bottom 11. it would be funny to see the hockey world meltdown if it happened though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All the non playoff teams are in the lottery but you can only move up a maximum of ten spots so 1-11 can win bedard and theoretically 12th overall could get the 2nd selection.

It's also worth noting that if a team wins a lottery in any way (even if they jumped from 15th to 5th) twice in a less then a five year span they're locked out of the lottery until that is no longer true. If Montreal wins a lottery in any capacity this year, the earliest they will be able to pick top 2 again is in 2027.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Porrima posted:

Probably someone has said this at some point, but they must have looked at some nhl rosters since there’s Sweeney, McLlwain, Mogilny, Smehlik, Tugnutt, Wesley, Turcotte, Bourque… despite being a baseball game and thus adding one Bonzalez.

"ChatGPT, formulate a fake mid-1990s MLB roster and send it back in time to the founders of Fighting Baseball 1994"

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I hope they redo the lottery rules again and again every year to make them more confusing and arcane for a very nebulous increase in "parity". You'd really think the Oilers winning all those lotteries and making the conference finals once over the past 13 years would be reason enough that they've massively overthought this poo poo.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

I hope they redo the lottery rules again and again every year to make them more confusing and arcane for a very nebulous increase in "parity". You'd really think the Oilers winning all those lotteries and making the conference finals once over the past 13 years would be reason enough that they've massively overthought this poo poo.

They changed the lottery rules because the Oilers won it too many times in a row, and as a result gave them McDavid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

Wolf is incredibly liberally listed at 183cm which is a shade under 6' but if he's actually over 175cm (5'9) I'll eat a hat.

He's small and looks it out there but is a great agility guy. He can move laterally lightning quick and has a great glove, but hasn't faced NHL level snipers that will pick corners over his shoulders yet. His numbers are impressive at every level so I'll defer to him being legitimately talented until he proves otherwise, but there's no doubt the odds are stacked against him in the NHL though.

I think your positioning has to be spot on and your anticipation has to be spot on to make it as a smaller goalie. You can't go down early, you can't crouch low in your stance, you gotta be on your angles exactly, etc

Those things are what made Lundqvist great even though he was somewhat undersized, and what Shesterkin did great with last year and struggled a bit with this year (his stance got wider, which led him to dropping down faster and leaving more room upstairs)