Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

say what you will about the italians but at least they know how to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Fleetwood posted:

are Austrians German or Italian?

Just regular Germans.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
austrians are germans with access to the mediterranean sea.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

What are some elementary, middle, and collegiate-level slurs

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Evading probation detection with doctorate level slurs :twisted:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

are Austrians German or Italian?

yes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mister Speaker posted:

Sure bud, but when are we going to turn our comedic ire to the Dutch, or Spain? Italy's been gettin' clowned on for years now and an entire nation of perverts with a made-up language (the Dutch) and another of encephalitic inbred royalty whose kingdom keeps losing ground (Spain) have been getting off scot-free for too long.

Dutch written out is what you'd think the Swedish Chef's scripts look like

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

all the peoples of the world harnor an instinctive revulsion to the dutch

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

fabergay egg posted:

all the peoples of the world harnor an instinctive revulsion to the dutch

if you aint Dutch
you aint doomed from the get-go

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

gabagooey

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I played the mario and luigi gba game and it reminded me of this thread

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
gbagool

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the people are astonished by my woptrine

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

holland must be destroyed

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every language is made up

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
especially italian

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
when I learned that gabagool was supposed to be capicola it blew my fuckin mind. Italian Americans are a lower form of life than any other

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Casey Finnigan posted:

when I learned that gabagool was supposed to be capicola it blew my fuckin mind. Italian Americans are a lower form of life than any other

theyre not sending their best

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

Italian Americans are a lower form of life than any other

"...and you thought the Germans were classless pieces of poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso&t=13s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's fun how regional inflections can develop entirely new words for things. 'Madone' is another good example; a curse word that invokes the Virgin Mary but if your only exposure was The Sopranos you'd think the word was "marrone" because of the way the D is pronounced.
'
Capicola isn't even really that good. I'm firmly in prosciutto gang ova heah.

EDIT: I also just started watching The Sopranos after a buddy of mine bugged me enough to do so. It's pretty good, and you can definitely see how the narrative style influenced stuff like Breaking Bad. But lmao, their toxic masculinity is hilarious - there's an entire episode in the first season where the family is clowning on one guy because he's embarrassed about going down on his wife. It was enough of a plot thread that I want to find out if that sort of prudishness in the bedroom is actually a part of Italian stereotypes, but I don't know who to ask because all the women in my family are Catholic as gently caress and all the men are dead.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Mar 22, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

It's fun how regional inflections can develop entirely new words for things. 'Madone' is another good example; a curse word that invokes the Virgin Mary but if your only exposure was The Sopranos you'd think the word was "marrone" because of the way the D is pronounced.
'

this is a good place to bring this up: does anyone know what "mingya" means or what it comes from because I think they say it one time in the Sopranos, it is extremely common among WNY italians and is used frequently in place of "gently caress!" here, but I've also heard people say it means Dick, Balls, poo poo, etc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is a good place to bring this up: does anyone know what "mingya" means or what it comes from because I think they say it one time in the Sopranos, it is extremely common among WNY italians and is used frequently in place of "gently caress!" here, but I've also heard people say it means Dick, Balls, poo poo, etc.

Like a lot of European languages, the literal translation of some curse words isn't necessarily the only use case. 'Migna' in Sicilian verb for 'to piss' and 'mingya' is slang for groin or balls, but I think that like 'cazzo' (cock) they can also be used as a simple expletive like you or I would yell "gently caress" when stubbing a toe. I might be wrong about that last part, my family is from the north and the south and Sicily are practically another planet.

This guy is a pro follow though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-9BKkqYtFg

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
if you're in new York try Russo's in New Paltz.

I don't know if the food is any good or if the place is even still open but my grandma's handyman's cousin runs it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mister Speaker posted:

'

EDIT: I also just started watching The Sopranos after a buddy of mine bugged me enough to do so. It's pretty good, and you can definitely see how the narrative style influenced stuff like Breaking Bad. But lmao, their toxic masculinity is hilarious - there's an entire episode in the first season where the family is clowning on one guy because he's embarrassed about going down on his wife. It was enough of a plot thread that I want to find out if that sort of prudishness in the bedroom is actually a part of Italian stereotypes, but I don't know who to ask because all the women in my family are Catholic as gently caress and all the men are dead.

It's a toxic masculinity stereotype, op

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a toxic masculinity stereotype, op

the_sopranos.png

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

my great grandma grew up in sicily and before she died my father took her to visit family in NJ and she thought the italians there were all retarded (her words, essentially) because they mangled the language so badly she couldn't understand most of what they were saying despite them insisting they were speaking italian

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I had a friend whose family was mob-affiliated growing up. His dad ran a business that was some kind of front and the kid had literally everything you could ever ask for. Gigantic TV and every game console and a big pool and everything.

They were always nice to me

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Like a lot of European languages, the literal translation of some curse words isn't necessarily the only use case. 'Migna' in Sicilian verb for 'to piss' and 'mingya' is slang for groin or balls, but I think that like 'cazzo' (cock) they can also be used as a simple expletive like you or I would yell "gently caress" when stubbing a toe. I might be wrong about that last part, my family is from the north and the south and Sicily are practically another planet.

This guy is a pro follow though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-9BKkqYtFg

Cazzo is indeed used in much same way “gently caress” is in English, and there are a variety of ways to use it to add expressiveness.

Minchia is something you’ll hear much more often in central- to southern-Italy as it derives from Sicilian dialect.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

I had a friend whose family was mob-affiliated growing up. His dad ran a business that was some kind of front and the kid had literally everything you could ever ask for. Gigantic TV and every game console and a big pool and everything.

They were always nice to me

did tony soprano die or not

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I cooka da pasghetti

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

my great grandma grew up in sicily and before she died my father took her to visit family in NJ and she thought the italians there were all retarded (her words, essentially) because they mangled the language so badly she couldn't understand most of what they were saying despite them insisting they were speaking italian

lol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

if you're in new York try Russo's in New Paltz.

I don't know if the food is any good or if the place is even still open but my grandma's handyman's cousin runs it

the last time i was in new paltz i was in a conversation with someone of proud italian-american heritage complaining about "those 'sids with a dozen kids taking them all to walmart with their welfare checks". a whole new kind of anti-semitism i had never experienced before

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1638908125049651203?s=46&t=9nFKYRRsh7eE66CaEgvzCw

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

death to america but you gotta give us credit for inventing italian, polish, and chinese food

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tfw your entire culture is yankee hamburger crumbs
https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1638961014606635008?s=20

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I mean it is a pretty dumb take to point at pizza and tiramisu and say "lmao all Italian food is actually American." Just ignore risotto, polenta and every single kind of pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lmao all italian food is american