Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
One of my favorite parts of Rayearth is actually an anime filler episode in the first season, but if you've got interest in the CLAMP crossover universe, the manga is the relevant one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth Walrus posted:

Is Rayearth better read or watched?

Like Yu-Gi-Oh! DM it's hard to say since both end up being different enough from each other that neither can be definitive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm finally watching VOTOMS. I never really cared much for the scopedog design, but I've always been curious what's going on in this show just based on the little bios in SRW, so I finally caved and I'm only two episodes in and solidly hooked. But I might just have a weakness for 80's rear end anime luring me in to love everything about the visuals of this show.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I watched VOTOMS a while ago, it really holds up imo. Starts off strong with biker gangs and dirty cops, has a really cool 'Nam standin complete with fraggable COs and jungle battles, and keeps going with more super cool set pieces I won't spoil.

That one line at the end "Don't you understand what you've done?! You killed God!!" and the shot where Ypsilon's face curls from pain into hate as blood runs down from Fyana's wound randomly pop into my head every once in a while.

It's such a cool show. I would even recommend it to non-mecha fans, especially anyone who loves those 70s-80s Italian Mad Max knockoff movies. The machines themselves are so ancillary, you could tell the same story with everyone on motorcycles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Marx Headroom posted:

It's such a cool show. I would even recommend it to non-mecha fans, especially anyone who loves those 70s-80s Italian Mad Max knockoff movies. The machines themselves are so ancillary, you could tell the same story with everyone on motorcycles.

I feel like this has always been a really strong point with certain non-super mech series; things like the original Gundam where you could replace the Mobile Suits with like, the latest jet fighter tech or whatever and the story would largely be the same because it isn't strictly about the cool robots; the cool robots where there to be set dressing and toys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unlike Mellowlink. It kinda needs the robots for the fights to work.

That being said watching Mellowlink fight against motorcycles with his antitank gun would he hilarious.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fukuda fans stay winning

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1633089394205679616?s=20

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if Fukuda will actually be allowed to helm the show as a director or if he'll be given a ceremonial producer position on whatever it turns out to be, like with Cross Ange? If he is actually in charge of it then it could mark a return for him in general between a new Cyber Formula show and the Gundam SEED movie. Assuming that ever actually happens, and isn't just perpetual vaporware.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

Guess this season does have a mecha anime I'm watching after all.

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea just revealed that the villain empire's ultimate weapon is a worn out old mech.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Takahiro Kimura, the character designer and/or chief animator director for works like Code Geass, GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Godannar! etc. passed away at the age of 58 from amyloidosis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Like Yu-Gi-Oh! DM it's hard to say since both end up being different enough from each other that neither can be definitive.

I guess my question was more if there's any great gap in their quality as stories. Which is the more agreeable reading/viewing experience if I chose to pick one?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

tsob posted:

Takahiro Kimura, the character designer and/or chief animator director for works like Code Geass, GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Godannar! etc. passed away at the age of 58 from amyloidosis.

RIP.

Now that's a depressing bit of news. He had a distinctive style and I was wondering why we hadn't seen more of this work lately.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

afterlife is making one hell of an SRW apparently

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Ashjbow/status/1636064882075262982?s=20

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

https://twitter.com/Ashjbow/status/1636088737418432517

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6kW-m2JSA

All that and no scopedog

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Their "VF-1" also looks nothing of the sort.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RangerKarl posted:

Yeah I don't really begrudge them for not putting everything in and not getting them all right. There's a looooot of mecha out there. I just thought it was cool to see a bunch of them lined up. And the massive pan out for Gurren Lagaan was funny.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

RangerKarl posted:

It looks like a legally distinct Jetfire toy, also I'm pretty sure the first Gurren Lagaan was too small given that the head by itself should be a meter in diameter so Simon could fit in there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This old one is better anyway:
https://youtu.be/7CXNa_m52r0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/AQ_moe/status/1637740878583435265?s=20

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hope it's more like Evol then the other two

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

Hope it's more like Evol then the other two

I'll say the opposite and that I hope it's less like Evol than the other two, and I haven't even seen LOGOS; I just have a really low opinion of Evol. Which had a great first couple of episodes, but was kind of boring after that. At least until the finale, which was actively bad both because it had a really stupid message about the main character defying fate by doing exactly what he was fated to do, and because it shat all over the previous show's finale in order to prop itself up.

The original show wasn't anything great really, but it was at least silly fun a lot of the time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
hold on, there was a third aquarion series in '15..?!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh no, no way, not letting them hurt me another time

....i'm totally gonna. :negative:

tsob posted:

The original show wasn't anything great really, but it was at least silly fun a lot of the time.

Pretty much this is how I feel about it. It was hardly perfect but it had a lot of big dumb fun stuff and could have some nice feelgood stuff. And then Evol went and stomped on some of the best bits in retrospect for no good reason.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I didn't even think of getting a new Aquarion. I'll join the bandwagon and say I hope it's like the first one and not Evol, though I think Evol had some interesting ideas and moments, it just..lacked in a lot of others. Logos was so bizarre I'm not sure if I liked it or not, though at least the Aquarion that could just take a million forms was very nice from an "oh cool robot" perspective.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really care that EVOL crapped on Aquarion's ending because it's still funny to me all these years later that it's canon that Toma got bait and switched by a dog and was so angry about it that he willed a 12000 year old incel revenge ghost into being.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The dog bit is less egregious than Evol retroactively making Gen Fudo into a complete rear end in a top hat during the events of Genesis since he was completely aware of everything about Apollo/Apollonius, Celiane/Silvia and Toma but was happy to let it all play out as a major war for...reasons. It also makes Apollo having Apollonius take over his spirit briefly every now and then just plain weird, since Gen Fudo is apparently Apollonius in reality.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Who has it worse: Eureka 7 Fans or Aquarion fans

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Eureka Seven spent way more than one season ruining things from the original

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's not even a question. EVOL is a little divisive but it's still trying to tell a similar story with similar themes to Aquarion, and LOGOS is weird as hell and not great but basically benign.

Basically every Eureka 7 production after the first has been an unending, dreary, spiteful parade of "hope and understanding is a loving lie that only results in suffering for everyone involved".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What are you people on about? The only Eureka 7 production ever made after the original show is "Pocket Full of Rainbows" and while it's weird that Bones just made a short to show off a new mecha design kicking rear end, I won't nay say them for it because the Devilfish is cool :zoro:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fivemarks posted:

Aquarion fans don't have to retcon the entirety of the franchise post the first series and SRW Z out of existence, unlike Eureka Seven fans.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I literally do not understand why everyone who works on the Eureka 7 sequels hates the original series so much.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fivemarks posted:

i believe i may be able to speak on this

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fivemarks posted:

Is it worse to fall out of an airplane or fall off of a step stool?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
e7 has this strange fixation on telling its audience that they were wrong to ever like e7. by contrast, logos is simply very boring.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fivemarks posted:

I literally do not understand why everyone who works on the Eureka 7 sequels hates the original series so much.

:emptyquote:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

nthing both the 'I hope this one is like the first one and not EVOL' and 'Eureka 7 has it so much worse than Aquarion it is not even funny'.

God I'm still mad about AO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the wildest thing about Ao is that even though it doesn't make any logistical sense, it absolutely felt at the time like the writers were getting mad as gently caress every week that people were guessing their twists and changing things for the worse out of spite.