Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

Fahkin/Cant

Ross Kemp's pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

what does that mean again

Also, if you get MA from Oxon or Cant it means you paid £10* and ate 3 big dinners in Hall* once you got your BA (they call most of their degrees BA even if they're science) unlike masters degrees from most other places which you actually have to do some work for!

*probaby more than that now but it was something like that back in the 70s/early 80s. I think it's a bit more complicated than that now but who knows.

Jaeluni ICBATG

(I Can't Be Arsed To Google)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

They're to let everyone know your degree is better than everyone else's because it comes from Oxford or Cambridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universities_in_the_United_Kingdom#Post-nominal_abbreviations

ty

lol I apparently can put Birm but it would probably make my degree look shitter

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Brum

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
put brum, i'd like that :)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's wrong with writing qualifications post nominally?

Jaeluni BSc (Hons) MScx2 PhD PG x 3 Rabbit Highly Commended 2* canoe Grade 3 Norwegian Brownies Hostess Badge Fifth form maths prize?
(Missed a few out in the interests of space).

Mustn't forget the Hons. Doesn't everyone get Hons unless they were sick or forgot how to spell their name?

The best one I've seen recently is someone who uses PhD (ABD).

ABD = All But Dissertation, i.e., they didn't finish. Apparently it's somewhat used in North America for doctoral candidates looking for a job while still working on their dissertation, but this was someone who seemed to have dropped out a decade or two back. In the UK you can often get an MPhil as a consolation prize in that situation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Camb for Cambrensis would risk confusion with Cambridge. The Oxford Calendar style guide gives "Wales" as the abbreviation for Wales.

Can't let the Welsh get ideas above their station, also I came up with a great abbreviation for Wales.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

put brum, i'd like that :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I list my PhD on flight bookings and also I say it very quietly after my name when I introduce myself to people, but I pronounce it just as a whispered "fffud"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1637843439260688384?s=19

Fuckin how much on Spitting Image?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not sure why they couldn't just cut sketches with the Queen, but don't blame them for wanting to write off the whole thing.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

set building £500k

crew wages £500k

marketing £1M

A spooky mask of the queen's face £7M

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my tv show is dying

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm still on a box of PG tips that has all platty joobs corgis on

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's a big box right enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could sell that box to a crying royalist for a million pounds.

Hell you could sell it to rishi he might want it to try and bribe the dup

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Democratic Order Of Protestants

Also my Covid-dodging luck ran out after almost exactly 3 years. I feel like that xkcd comic with the guy saying "the cake is a lie" 5 years after everyone else.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its really quite something that a show as well remembered as Splittling image got brought back in a way that has made exactly zero cultural impact.

Like i think i saw like one post on twitter showing how poo poo and toothless it is maybe a couple of years ago, i had no idea it was even still going at this point.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Its really quite something that a show as well remembered as Splittling image got brought back in a way that has made exactly zero cultural impact.

Like i think i saw like one post on twitter showing how poo poo and toothless it is maybe a couple of years ago, i had no idea it was even still going at this point.

Matt Forde and Al Murray are currently involved in it's ongoing stage show tour.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Released!

It's that time of the month already! Prepare your face-holes for the delicious assault of top notch fudge, because we've got a pile of delicious stock to shift and nobody loves fudge like goons!

This month we have seventeen flavours up for grabs on the website, with several brand new ones never seen before online! We also have several exciting new flavours in the works which will drop next week with our easter specials (including the official fudge-flavour of Podcasting Is Praxis). So watch this space!

Our current selection is as follows:

* Vanilla
* Cheesecake - NEW
- Tangy cheesecake fudge with huge chunks of crunchy biscuit. Made with real cream cheese!
* Chilli and Lime
* Oranges and Lemons
* Cookies and Cream - NEW
Cookie dough flavoured fudge with big crumbly chunks of Oreo. Now in non-vegan format!
* Peanut Butter Cup
* Crunchy Chocolate Honeycomb
* Chai Latte
* Cafe Americano
* Maple and Pecan
* Marmite
* Irish Cream
* Rum and Raisin
* Chocolate Orange
(Yes, the controversy returns..)
* Unicorn Barf
* Dark Chocolate
* Veganoffee

All fudge is available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk and costs £3.50 a bar plus P&P. And as always, remember to use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' at checkout to get 5-for-4!

Get fudged!

Edit: I’m an MSC (master of sugary creations)

Camrath fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 20, 2023

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
BSc Interior Design (Dunelm)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

They're to let everyone know your degree is better than everyone else's because it comes from Oxford or Cambridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universities_in_the_United_Kingdom#Post-nominal_abbreviations

Technically they're to let everyone know its worse because it's not real (I've only ever seen it for the fake MAs). But actually putting it after your name still makes you a right tit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

set building £500k

crew wages £500k

marketing £1M

A spooky mask of the queen's face £7M

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my tv show is dying

Let's cut out the middleman: No.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Cameron FaD (Oxon)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1637816613427634178

I'm genuinely worried about Reform now it's in Tice's hands, as he's someone who has the money and connections to do some real harm. Getting Farage back onboard is going to win back a lot of gammon votes, but he also almost definitely has access to Hancock's WhatsApp message archive through his partner, which is a literal MyCrimes.txt implicating everyone in power. It wouldn't be hard to blackmail Tory candidates to step aside, or just release weaponised messages from the WhatsApp archive at the right time through his media connections.

If the Telegraph starts backing Reform, then Tice might be our next dictator, I mean stranger things have happened, and I don't trust the voters anymore.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if the Conservatives hold their nerve, at least cosplay as a Sensible and Stable government and (most importantly) get the press firmly back onside, they have an excellent chance of winning the next election. Labour's current leads may look big, but they're shallow as a puddle and would evaporate like one, if the media establishment decided to turn on them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I'm genuinely worried about Reform now it's in Tice's hands, as he's someone who has the money and connections to do some real harm. Getting Farage back onboard is going to win back a lot of gammon votes, but he also almost definitely has access to Hancock's WhatsApp message archive through his partner, which is a literal MyCrimes.txt implicating everyone in power. It wouldn't be hard to blackmail Tory candidates to step aside, or just release weaponised messages from the WhatsApp archive at the right time through his media connections.

If the Telegraph starts backing Reform, then Tice might be our next dictator, I mean stranger things have happened, and I don't trust the voters anymore.

Reform splits the Tory vote.
For every gammon who would vote Reform, someone else sticks with the Tories because they think Reform go too far.
If they kick up enough of a stink, it makes a Labour government more likely. I'm not sure that's much of an improvement, but there you go.

The big risk is that the Tories get scared and go even further right to try to suck up to the fascists who've been on the fence so far. And that's only a real risk if Labour follow them, since the Tories are too incompetent to actually pass much atrocious legislation in a calendar year.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The biggest threat of Reform, as with UKIP before it, is that it causes the Tories to go “poo poo, we’re still not right wing enough”. It’s worked pretty successfully for Farage and co for like two decades now. Every time one of these fringe right wing parties have been defeated electorally, it’s because the Tories have rendered them obsolete.

E: beaten, sort of

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Damnit, I am so close to being able to put "BA (wint)"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Less chance of that than Corbyn ever had of being PM. I like getting all doomy as much as the next idiot with major depressive disorder but if Reform have more MPs after the election than the Greens or Liberals. You'd be as well passing yourself about the chances of getting struck by lightning twice this year: sure, it could happen but the odds are in your favour that it won't happen

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

Nah, wouldn't worry about it. This is just like an 80s rock band getting together as the residuals have dried up, and the house mortgage still needs paying.
Loads of fans to buy tshirts sure, and so gammons willingly to throw their tomato budget at them if they think it will get rid of the foreign neighbour five doors down.

And being a bunch of Commander Hindsights, they have nothing to propose that the Tories haven't already tried and failed.
Its a last ditch effort to get some of them into the lords.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

And being a bunch of Commander Hindsights, they have nothing to propose that the Tories haven't already tried and failed.
They can propose a bunch of stuff, it doesn't have to work or be practical, it just has to make your average lead poisoned slab of ham go "yeah, why int they usin immigrants to power the grid eh?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Nah, wouldn't worry about it. This is just like an 80s rock band getting together as the residuals have dried up, and the house mortgage still needs paying.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if the Conservatives hold their nerve, at least cosplay as a Sensible and Stable government and (most importantly) get the press firmly back onside, they have an excellent chance of winning the next election. Labour's current leads may look big, but they're shallow as a puddle and would evaporate like one, if the media establishment decided to turn on them.

Labours lead is entirely built on the tories being complete dogshit. They don't have any actual support outside of that becasue they have no policies and no real reason to vote for them other than "we're not the tories, we're the grown up labour party :smug:"

If the tories get their act together and, as you say, cosplay being competent, people will likely vote for them, because the alternative is voting for a man who literally has no policies and waits 3 weeks to give a response on any issue because he has to wait to see what the polling groups say his response should be first.

At most labour under kier by the inevitable 2025 election is going to offer watered down tory policies because he's desperate for the wavering tory votes and the only way to get that is to pick off the voters who think "ooh err, I like the idea of deporting migrants but even I think sending them to Rwanda is too expensive", whereas really he should be convincing people why actual left wing policy is good. Something he's never going to do.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They can propose a bunch of stuff, it doesn't have to work or be practical, it just has to make your average lead poisoned slab of ham go "yeah, why int they usin immigrants to power the grid eh?"

Yeah, then the civil service, law courts, or the EU just tell them 'no' and thats the end of that idea.
Half the gammons that support Farage just think the current Tories just don't have the willpower to get things done.
And they have.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, then the civil service, law courts, or the EU just tell them 'no' and thats the end of that idea.
Doesn't matter: they just need to convince them they'll do it if they get in, then when they get one seat and can't do any of it, they can blame the judges / woke blob / eurocrats, and have the message sent round various whatsapp groups telling people like Thomas Mair that "they know what they have to do."

They don't have to achieve anything, they just have to promise to do it and then find someone to blame when they can't. That's what makes them dangerous, even in failure, and I feel like a lot of people don't really seem to acknowledge that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Labours lead is entirely built on the tories being complete dogshit. They don't have any actual support outside of that becasue they have no policies and no real reason to vote for them other than "we're not the tories, we're the grown up labour party :smug:"

But they are the Tories.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i sometimes worry that brexit will never get "done" enough to satisfy lord nige

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just been looking at several different polls taken in the last few days and they are absolutely all over the place. Labour lead increasing, over 20%, decreasing, under 11%.
Seems it's all haywire right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

i sometimes worry that brexit will never get "done" enough to satisfy lord nige

It never can get done enough to satisfy him. No matter how far it goes, the grift ends unless he keeps going further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ARE NIGE doesn't give a poo poo about politics and never did, that much is obvious when he finally became an MEP and then did literally nothing for the people he represented, or ironically, fishermen, who he was elected to represent.

His entire shtick is having AN ENEMY to rally against to get his incredulously stupid followers to buy whatever stupid poo poo he's shilling and send him donations to the the nebulous "them".

If he actually ended up with a genuine post in government he'd be fired in like a month because he wouldn't do any work and would just turn up in the commons to waffle about how Romanians are eating the kings swans or whatever.