Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I wonder if it’ll turn out that Starfleet / Section 31 is after Jack because he is a human-Borg hybrid. Either that or S31 is trying to create some sort of human-Changling hybrid and Jack is a prototype or something.

The fact that there’s a whole section in the closing credits focusing on DNA makes me think that Jack is some sort of experiment.

Jack being part Borg because something something Borg nanoprobes are stored in the balls, would be maybe the worst and funniest possible outcome simultaneously

That said I think the most likely theories are either 1) forgotten anti-Changeling biotech that somehow got loose after the war and planted itself into Jack, or 2) Pah-wraith possession, if only because of the eyes and hallucinations. If the S31 facility in London exists in both universes then I guess that could be the origin point for either if they happened to have stolen one of those little statues Dukat used. Several million Londoners and little Jack Crusher just happens to get the spooky space ghost is awfully coincidental of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

TNG, Q in Law

Laxwana becomes infatuated with Q during a diplomatic mission. THIS RULES. Also has an audio novel that is read by John DeLancie and Majel Barrett.

Q-in-Law is also the "Q gives Lwaxana Q powers and she turns around and beats the poo poo out of him with them" book. Which, again, as others have said, should have just been a TNG episode.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MillennialVulcan posted:

TNG, Q-Squared

Q vs Trelaine with an alternate reality Enterprise crew caught in between

This one is a pro-read, it's wonderfully bizarre.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Strange New Worlds has gotten a season 3 order, per Akiva Goldsman (speaking at MIT). Filming begins soon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Strange New Worlds has gotten a season 3 order, per Akiva Goldsman (speaking at MIT). Filming begins soon.
Good

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Strange new worlds is fun they finally tried to do an episodic “crisis of the week” again and it’s super fun.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Timby posted:

hell yeah

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Excellent news

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

gently caress yes. I was concerned the budget slashes might have affected things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fun show to watch online streaming, I like how they do a good job and be entertaining.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Calde posted:

Growing up as a kid, I'd scour used book stores for TOS novels to add to my collection. Each book would include lists of all the other titles and Doctor's Orders was one of the most coveted for me, a Dr McCoy fan. I ended up doing a special order to get a copy and it was absolutely everything I dreamed about.

For anyone on the fence, the premise is Kirk putting McCoy in command of the Enterprise temporarily as a joke. But then the away mission Kirk is on gets out of control and he disappears. Instead of taking over, Spock is a stickler for regulation and forces McCoy to continue running the ship during a crisis. It's one of the best TOS novels and one of a handful I wish I'd kept when I sold my collection.

Diane Duane is one of my literary heroes for a few reasons, but one of the biggest is because she answered my fan mail when I was like ten (so in 1989-1990) via CompuServe mail. I asked her how she created so much consistent-sounding Romulan-language dialogue.

She quickly replied and said that she generates Romulan-sounding words via a program she'd written in C, and even sent her source code along as an attachment, probably thinking I was a college student or something.

I was ten, and it was 1989-1990, so I had no access to a compiler, or even a way of downloading the attachment, as WinSock 1.0 was two years away. Nevertheless, I was very touched - and I wish to hell I'd been able to download that attachment before Compuserve went away.

Starting to kinda want to do a reread, which I haven't done in maybe decades. Might start with "The Wounded Sky" and go forward through the whole Rihannsu series, with Spock's World in there somewhere, and Doctor's Orders at the end. I think it was her last TOS book.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Spock's World was one of the first pieces of media that had the Vulcans considering exiting the UFP as a plot point. Lots of Vulcan history, most of which has yet to be overwritten, canon-wise.

The Romulan Way is also an excellent alternative look at the Romulan.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kesper North posted:

She quickly replied and said that she generates Romulan-sounding words via a program she'd written in C, and even sent her source code along as an attachment, probably thinking I was a college student or something.

That's loving awesome.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Wait, did Matalas name M’talas Prime after himself?

Not a chud planet, but #1 with chuds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cmdrk posted:

Wait, did Matalas name M’talas Prime after himself?

Not a chud planet, but #1 with chuds.

Actually Brannon Braga named it after Matalas all the way back on Enterprise back when Matalas was his coffee boy. Terry just fished it out of the lore swamp and whacked that first "a" out of there with an apostrophe.

But yeah, it is kind of hilarious that the dude who can be described as "not a chud, but really popular with chuds for some reason 🤔" essentially has the "tips fedora" planet named after himself...

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

But yeah, it is kind of hilarious that the dude who can be described as "not a chud, but really popular with chuds for some reason 🤔" essentially has the "tips fedora" planet named after himself...

And that it is a total shitbag of a planet. Just zero self-awareness. Just like his real life.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Should have replaced it with Tatasciore IX

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Timby posted:

I'm so glad to hear this. As others have mentioned, I was worried about SNW's fate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Delsaber posted:

Jack being part Borg because something something Borg nanoprobes are stored in the balls, would be maybe the worst and funniest possible outcome simultaneously

That said I think the most likely theories are either 1) forgotten anti-Changeling biotech that somehow got loose after the war and planted itself into Jack, or 2) Pah-wraith possession, if only because of the eyes and hallucinations. If the S31 facility in London exists in both universes then I guess that could be the origin point for either if they happened to have stolen one of those little statues Dukat used. Several million Londoners and little Jack Crusher just happens to get the spooky space ghost is awfully coincidental of course

Founders are infecting all the solids in the Federation with Changeling DNA.

Then, once everyone is a Changeling without even realising it, the Founders will enact their terrible revenge by releasing the Section 31 virus which turns Changelings into solids.

The monsters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Comrade Fakename posted:

It gave the Titan the opportunity to escape, and they did.

Honestly, the desperation to make perfectly valid plot points into horrific missteps is bizarre. In a season of television clearly intended as a farewell to the characters from a previous TV show, a fan favourite recurring character returns for a single episode, resolves the emotional consequences of her last appearance, has a meaty role in the episode and then sacrifices herself so that our heroes can escape and save the day. This is as standard TV poo poo as you’re ever going to see. Especially when you consider that the actor portraying the character clearly is not particularly interested in Star Trek and likely was only interested in doing a single episode (and probably needed a lot of convincing just for that).

I suppose though that this is an improvement on what this the thread has been indulging in recently which is inventing poo poo that hasn’t actually happened in the show yet and getting pre-emptively angry about it.

Also imagining various political/moral stances that Terry Matalas HAS to have based on him appearing on wrongthink podcasts. "Terry Matalas probably sides with Putin over Ukraine!" "This plot point is probably an allusion to abortion because I JUST KNOW Matalas is against abortion!" "Where was he on January 6th, I bet he was with the Q'anon Sha'maaan!"

He's thin skinned on Twitter, he's made some dumb writing choices and broken canon a few times, noped out of S2 way too fast, and made bad decisions about what podcasts to go on. Criticize him for that, not your headcanon that he's a secret Nazi.

MillennialVulcan posted:

TOS, Kobayashi Maru

While trying to survive a shuttle accident, the crew recalls how they each dealt with the Kobayashi Maru. Not technically canon at this point, but a cool novel.

Kirk's solution is very similar to the JJ Kirk, except even better. He programs the simulator to make it that he's a famous, notorious starship captain, "THE James T Kirk" and the Klingons poo poo their pants and surrender as soon as they realize who they are up against...unknowingly presaging how his career would turn out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Also imagining various political/moral stances that Terry Matalas HAS to have based on him appearing on wrongthink podcasts. "Terry Matalas probably sides with Putin over Ukraine!" "This plot point is probably an allusion to abortion because I JUST KNOW Matalas is against abortion!" "Where was he on January 6th, I bet he was with the Q'anon Sha'maaan!"

He's thin skinned on Twitter, he's made some dumb writing choices and broken canon a few times, noped out of S2 way too fast, and made bad decisions about what podcasts to go on. Criticize him for that, not your headcanon that he's a secret Nazi.

Kirk's solution is very similar to the JJ Kirk, except even better. He programs the simulator to make it that he's a famous, notorious starship captain, "THE James T Kirk" and the Klingons poo poo their pants and surrender as soon as they realize who they are up against...unknowingly presaging how his career would turn out.

This is actually clever, though. I honestly hate how it plays out in the JJ film. I get what they were going for but it takes what's a flaw of Kirk and tries to make it about Ethics In Spaceship Tests. Plus Abrams directed Pine to be extra obnoxious in that sequence

Hell, having Spock be the one who designed it is dumb in the first place.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

AJA posted:

Season 1: Data is Picard's biggest regret!

Season 2: His mom is Picard's biggest regret!

Season 3: Ro Laren is Picard's biggest regret!

Season 1: A synth that doesn't realize she's a synth is the only way Picard can bring Synths and Humans together despite the synths wanting to destroy Humanity. Meanwhile, Raffi does drugs.

Season 2: A Borg that doesn't realize she's a Borg is the only way Picard can bring Borg and Humans together despite the Borg wanting to destroy Humanity. Meanwhile, Raffi does drugs.

Season 3: A Changeling who doesn't realize he's a changeling is the only way Picard can bring Changelings and Humans together despite the Changelings wanting to destroy Humanity. Meanwhile, Raffi does drugs.

Also, I want two spinoffs: Kirk Acevedo as Vulcan Miguel Alvarez doing crimes while wearing an IDIC emblem and using logic to justify his bullshit, and Captain Liam Shaw: Perfectly Normal Starfleet Man who thinks Picard And Crew Were Bullshit.

Also, in the previous episode when he had his painkiller rant about Wolf 359, I honestly didn't get "I hate Picard because it was all his fault," I got massive survivor guilt. He was picked at random to live, and his friends weren't, and he can't figure out why. Which is why he tries really hard to not be in that situation again, and why he was happy to have an excuse to put Riker in charge, and make it his responsibility.

Beeftweeter posted:

ro's death wasn't badass, it was senseless: she crashes her shuttle into a nacelle and apparently doesn't even really stop the intrepid

I mean, it can't go to warp due to having a blowed up nacelle, so it can't chase them down and blow them up, so something did, in fact, get accomplished.

Two bad guys beaming onto the shuttle through the their own transporter jammer? Fine, that makes sense. Beaming onto Titan during red alert, which means shields up, then needing to put a transport enhancer on Jack to beam him right back off? Lazy writing.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm in the mood for some Star Trek novels for some reason. I read Homecoming and The Farther Shore and enjoyed them. They're just popcorn of course but it's what I'm in the mood for. Any recommendations? Those Destiny novels? Titan? Anything good with the Borg?

I'll echo the Diane Duane Rihannsu books; "My Enemy, My Ally," The Romulan Way, Sword Hunt, Honor Blade, The Empty Chair. Personal favorites are also Doctor's Orders, Kobyashi Maru, Home Is The Hunter, IDIC Epidemic, Crisis on Centarus.....

Rules of Engagement is probably my favorite Classic Trek book. Prime Directive is right up there as one of the most 'Trek' of the Star Trek novels.

Oh, and the Lost Years books are good, too.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 20, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Two bad guys beaming onto the shuttle through the their own transporter jammer? Fine, that makes sense. Beaming onto Titan during red alert, which means shields up, then needing to put a transport enhancer on Jack to beam him right back off? Lazy writing.

Weren't two changelings already on board with the device, and then they beamed on two more as reinforcements? It doesn't seem like much of a stretch that the same device that would let them beam Jack off could let them get two more on board, or did I miss something?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Weren't two changelings already on board with the device, and then they beamed on two more as reinforcements? It doesn't seem like much of a stretch that the same device that would let them beam Jack off could let them get two more on board, or did I miss something?

Well, to my mind, if it lets them beam on just by being there, it should have let Jack get beamed off just by being there.

I guess it could have been that they were both wearing some sort of 'beam through shields which has always been canonically impossible or else Star Trek just fails to work as entire crews are beamed off and dispersed into space' device to beam on, with an extra one in hand to slap on Jack, but lets all be honest, the writers just weren't thinking of that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone else please read Valhalla

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TheCenturion posted:

Also, I want two spinoffs: Kirk Acevedo as Vulcan Miguel Alvarez doing crimes while wearing an IDIC emblem and using logic to justify his bullshit

Vulcans use "logic" the same way some people use "natural".

Natural is something I like, therefore good. Unnatural is whatever I don't like, therefore bad.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Vulcans use "logic" the same way some people use "natural".

Natural is something I like, therefore good. Unnatural is whatever I don't like, therefore bad.

I've always said that Star Trek Vulcans aren't "logic over emotion," they're Utilitarian, I think, if I understand Utilitarianism properly. They keep waffling between 'it's a physical trait' and 'it's a philosophy they adopted after they almost wiped themselves out in violent war.'

Actually 'pure logic' aliens would be loving terrifying, because compassion becomes a variable to be factored, not a guiding principle.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

I've always said that Star Trek Vulcans aren't "logic over emotion," they're Utilitarian, I think, if I understand Utilitarianism properly. They keep waffling between 'it's a physical trait' and 'it's a philosophy they adopted after they almost wiped themselves out in violent war.'

Actually 'pure logic' aliens would be loving terrifying, because compassion becomes a variable to be factored, not a guiding principle.

Not quite. Utilitarianism starts with an overarching goal, and it’s up for debate as to that’s one with a basis in logical argument.
Obviously, the term ‘logic’ in Star Trek is a cartoon version of the term, and is used in a kind of catchall for ethical and rational systems that do not factor in or are swayed by emotions. there are plenty of schools of philosophy which are all about building an ethical framework from a point of logic/reason with a kind of objective lack of personal bias backed in (and lots of counter arguments that suggest this is impossible etc). But I don’t think the Vulcans are utilitarian. The. Vulcans don’t really care about aggregate happiness. The federation are, though.

The closest framework for the Vulcans would be something like Kant, and I’d argue that it’s actually one of the key parts of the utopian vision of Star Trek that this civilisation driven by ‘x therefore y therefore z’ - a ‘pure logic’ civilisation - comes to the conclusion that it should cooperate and co-exist with others, not because of an inherent emotional compassion but just because it makes the most sense - albeit with an attitude that reads to human beings as cold and detached.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

Not quite. Utilitarianism starts with an overarching goal, and it’s up for debate as to that’s one with a basis in logical argument.
Obviously, the term ‘logic’ in Star Trek is a cartoon version of the term, and is used in a kind of catchall for ethical and rational systems that do not factor in or are swayed by emotions. there are plenty of schools of philosophy which are all about building an ethical framework from a point of logic/reason with a kind of objective lack of personal bias backed in (and lots of counter arguments that suggest this is impossible etc). But I don’t think the Vulcans are utilitarian. The. Vulcans don’t really care about aggregate happiness. The federation are, though.

The closest framework for the Vulcans would be something like Kant, and I’d argue that it’s actually one of the key parts of the utopian vision of Star Trek that this civilisation driven by ‘x therefore y therefore z’ - a ‘pure logic’ civilisation - comes to the conclusion that it should cooperate and co-exist with others, not because of an inherent emotional compassion but just because it makes the most sense - albeit with an attitude that reads to human beings as cold and detached.

I've heard the 'Utilitarian vs Kantian' debate before, but I still say 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few' is Utilitarianism in a nutshell.

Here's a pocket description of the debate:

quote:

Kantian ethics would also be known as deontological ethics. This is based on the idea that ethics governs acts, regardless of the outcome.

Utilitarian ethics does not focus on the act, but rather on the outcome.

Personally, I'm not sure a culture that considers 'combat to the death' to be foreplay can really be Kantian, but I could make an argument for it to be Utilitarian.

In either event, we can probably agree that Wrath of Khan is Spock's argument for Utilitarianism, and Search for Spock is Kirk's rebuttal for Kantianism.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the Vulcans are the way they are with a lot of effort and propaganda and cultural reinforcement. It's a measure to protect themselves from themselves because they cannot handle their emotions, so they instead do a lot of weird crap to suppress themselves, and nobody wants to frame themselves as being unable to handle themselves so they come up with a lot of rigamarole and projection to act like their way is good and wise, instead of a planet of idiots who couldn't invent therapy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Khanstant posted:

I think the Vulcans are the way they are with a lot of effort and propaganda and cultural reinforcement. It's a measure to protect themselves from themselves because they cannot handle their emotions, so they instead do a lot of weird crap to suppress themselves, and nobody wants to frame themselves as being unable to handle themselves so they come up with a lot of rigamarole and projection to act like their way is good and wise, instead of a planet of idiots who couldn't invent therapy

Diane Duane's interpretation of the Romulans is great in that light. Her take on the Romulans is fascinating and they keep a strong classical era flair to them, that in many ways also makes them relatabley human, while to us the Vulcans are very alien. It's also worlds better than an entire planet that's made up of the spy from TF2.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Also remember that according to Duane's take on Romulan history, their language evolved from slang on their intra-ship online forums, which some members then decided to run with and make a full-on conlang, to further differentiate their new society. Which I find incredibly plausible.

Also features the continuing adventures of Ensign Naraht, the first Horta in Star Fleet, resulting in McCoy playfully accusing Spock of nepotism, as he mind-melded with Naraht's mother back in 'Devil In The Dark,' and she liked his ears.

Also, the very chilling scene where what's left of the crew of the Intrepid, all Vulcan, need information from a Romulan, and pull basically the same poo poo as Spock did in The Undiscovered Country (the movie, not the retcon in the novel) that boils down to 'we need to know what you know, time is of the essence, so you can give it to us, or we can take it, and if we take it, you're not going to enjoy it, but hey, your call.'

"He fought us."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheCenturion posted:

Chilling scene where what's left of the crew of the Intrepid, all Vulcan, need information from a Romulan, and pull basically the same poo poo as Spock did in The Undiscovered Country (the movie, not the retcon in the novel) that boils down to 'we need to know what you know, time is of the essence, so you can give it to us, or we can take it, and if we take it, you're not going to enjoy it, but hey, your call.'

"He fought us."

Particularly scary McGuffin in that book, too. Imagine the Tal Shiar with a telepathic power amplifier with interstellar range made out of cloned Vulcan brain matter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

It's why it's always weird when they act like the logic and stoicism are hardwired into them. Even SNW, which is pretty good with the Vulcans, acts like the Kolinahr ritual literally goes into their brain hard drive and deletes Emotion.exe, rather than it just being a more severe discipline of suppression and control than most Vulcans use.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

TheCenturion posted:

Also, I want two spinoffs: Kirk Acevedo as Vulcan Miguel Alvarez doing crimes while wearing an IDIC emblem and using logic to justify his bullshit, and Captain Liam Shaw: Perfectly Normal Starfleet Man who thinks Picard And Crew Were Bullshit.

gently caress that noise. I don't want any of this spun off. None of it is lightning in a bottle like Pike on Discovery was, and rewarding anything that Picard does will just encourage them to loving do this pathetic drawn-out charade again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In the unlikely event Shaw survives this season, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of him. But that’s really it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Also remember that according to Duane's take on Romulan history, their language evolved from slang on their intra-ship online forums, which some members then decided to run with and make a full-on conlang, to further differentiate their new society. Which I find incredibly plausible.

Also features the continuing adventures of Ensign Naraht, the first Horta in Star Fleet, resulting in McCoy playfully accusing Spock of nepotism, as he mind-melded with Naraht's mother back in 'Devil In The Dark,' and she liked his ears.

Also, the very chilling scene where what's left of the crew of the Intrepid, all Vulcan, need information from a Romulan, and pull basically the same poo poo as Spock did in The Undiscovered Country (the movie, not the retcon in the novel) that boils down to 'we need to know what you know, time is of the essence, so you can give it to us, or we can take it, and if we take it, you're not going to enjoy it, but hey, your call.'

"He fought us."

That one world building detail goes a long way in explaining Romulans. It's like a BBS or subreddit fracturing gone to an extreme. There was once a planet for discussing TheLastofUs, but with ineffectual leadership and an ever growing polarization of angry rage freaks and self-suppressed ninnies, there is a fracture, and the angry freaks throw a tantrum on the way out the door and make their own subreddit for always being angry all the time, and leaving the suppressed weirdoes to rigidly enforce no public displays of anger, and find further ways to suppress and micromanage themselves -- while the rage freaks convince themselves terrorizing everyone else is cool and rad.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Shaw is funny when he's frustrated, but he's a bad captain under pressure, don't need a Shaw show.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We haven’t had a show in the Beta quadrant. See what the Breen are up to these days. Maybe new helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Shaw's running gag can be that he's constantly finding legitimate reasons to transfer command to someone else.