Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FastestGunAlive posted:

AvP2 night would be fun. Haven’t played it in so long. Hell of a lot more fresh than continuing that whack rear end argument

avp2 is good but not as good as avp2000 the superior avp game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

I agree with this even as someone that likes Covenant a lot, it opens things up a lot in a ways that maybe shouldn't have been done if a follow up movie wasn't already in the bag greenlighted.

Like a tighter movie focusing more on double David (not enough for me either I agree shoulda been quadrule David mininum) or more on the crew figuring out the planet's unusual biology situation might have been a safer (?) bet. But generally speaking I'm happy with what we got even though it does completely fall apart at the end IMO. Like the main climax where they're on the cargo ship with the crane and stuff was honestly pretty cool and looked really nice on the big screen. The second set of killings and real final battle did nothing for me. The very end reveal from David was of course great though.

Still get annoyed they made that awesome set of the goo-bombed engineers in the courtyard but we don't get to see a little more of it.

If I remember right, the original Prometheus script (back when it had aliens in it) opened with a human working the wheat fields on the engineer home planet. Was surprised that Covenant reused some stuff that had been previously discarded. There were some fun little nods though, such as the pods that release the spores looking like a miniature version of the unused egg silo from Alien:

I think the general consensus is that David is a great character and Fassbender's performance was phenomenal. I think he carried both movies and sometimes wonder how they might have been received if someone else had done the fingering. Shame however since the setup for a third film being just David (and of course Engineers and humans in pursuit of him, according to Ridley) would have been ideal and removed some common complaints for the films. I think the setup had a lot of potential to finally deliver (imo, anyways) which made the cancellation all the more frustrating, and I suspect that what we saw in Covenant was hinting that the "perfect organism" would eventually have been the result of David himself becoming part of the process with his continued sacrilege.

It's fun to imagine what those engineers would have stumbled upon when entering that laboratory floating in the abyss, and what may have become of David at that point. Would they have been horrified, angered, or perhaps in a deeply twisted and surprising revelation come to have a disturbing reverence for what they discover?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I played more AvP 2 but I might do AvP 2000 instead since it got a rerelease on Steam a few years back. I think the AvP 2 servers got shut down so it might be a pain in the rear end to get running with a fan hosted mod. I dunno, I’ll install it and see.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It’s been so long I can’t remember but I think I do remember 1 having the better multiplayer. 2 didn’t have an horde defense mode right? Really wanted that

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Space Jam posted:

Gauging interest here. I’ve been thinking about hosting an AvP 2 multiplayer night. If you don’t have the game I could provide it… perfectly legally. I should still have both install discs in storage. Yay or Nay?

I just embarrassed myself playing Space Marine with friends on Sunday and why not something even older?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FastestGunAlive posted:

It’s been so long I can’t remember but I think I do remember 1 having the better multiplayer. 2 didn’t have an horde defense mode right? Really wanted that

avp2 is the one with team fortress classes where every predator was overpowered while avp 1 has horde mode and deathmatch where the predator is overpowered

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
AvP2 is the one with the pounce attack that can send you half a map in one button press.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Space Jam posted:

Gauging interest here. I’ve been thinking about hosting an AvP 2 multiplayer night. If you don’t have the game I could provide it… perfectly legally. I should still have both install discs in storage. Yay or Nay?
AvP2 as in the 2001 fps that my perfectly accurate description of in another thread was described as "some serious My Uncle Works At Nintendo poo poo"?

Yes, yes I would be interested.

FastestGunAlive posted:

On the one hand AvP2 has the lifecycle. On the other hand AvP1 is available for 1.24 on steam right now.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was such a baby when it came to playing AvP as a marine but holy poo poo playing Alien Isolation is intense :stare:

There's DLC for it (Crew Expendable, I think?) which recreates Alien really well and has you on the Nostromo which is both fascinating from a fan perspective of getting to explore a high quality recreation but also terrifying because holy poo poo :cry:

Alien Isolation is on sale at a very heavy discount right now as well (on Steam) and is highly recommended, with the aforementioned Crew Expendable DLC being heavily discounted as well. There's also a cheap bundle that just has everything and for the price I'd say it's a fun experience for anyone that's a fan of Alien. They do a superb job of recreating that retro-futuristic style inspired by Moebius and the game oozes atmosphere.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Get Isolation, if you haven’t already. The entire game is :stonklol: levels of terror, except if you laugh too loud the alien will find you. Also, if one of the voices sounds familiar to you Marshal Waits was voiced by William Hope, aka LT Gorman :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Switch port of Isolation is fantastic too.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm not exaggerating when I saw Isolation is literally the scariest video game I have ever played in my life.

I highly recommend it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SUNKOS posted:

That was for the Harkonnen world so he pretty much nailed the intended aesthetic :haw:

I see that's from X-Men but the art style looks a lot like the old animated Aeon Flux series on MTV. Did the artist from that work on X-Men?! :psyduck:

I always wondered if P. Craig Russell worked on the Aeon Flux animated show or if he was just an inspiration because the line work and the way faces and figures are drawn looks an awful like his work

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I'd love to get back to some AvP2 multi - I have to see if it will run on my ancient piece of crap refurbished business PC from 2015.

If that doesn't work, who wants to join me for some Aliens: Online?

That's one I never get to talk shop with people about. Anyone else enjoy the Gamestorm library back in the day? I got into Splatterball on AOL, which led me to discovering Gamestorm (versus pay per minute on AOL) and their amazing library of multiplayer games. They had Aliens: Online of course, which was Doom multiplayer Marines v Aliens with classes...a Starship Troopers space game (Space combat and taking over planets with army drops), the aforementioned Splatterball, Godzilla Online (around the 98 movie, it was decent)...

That was a loving amazing product and I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned much when discussing online gaming history.

Who else got sucked into A:O back in the day? You *can* still play it, but it only lets you play Single Player as it had a centralized server and as far as I know, no one has cared enough to patch that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i think the reason no one talks about those games despite them sounding cool as hell is because they werent around long and once they went offline they were gone forever... if only game preservation could have saved them

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I saw Isolation is literally the scariest video game I have ever played in my life.

I highly recommend it.

When I first got it back in 2014, I’d come home from work, open a beer, partake in a little medicinal MJ, and sit down and play it in a totally dark room, wearing a nice set of headphones.

There were times when I’d have to pause the game and get up and walk around. I was so rattled that my hands would be shaking :stonk:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think the reason no one talks about those games despite them sounding cool as hell is because they werent around long and once they went offline they were gone forever... if only game preservation could have saved them

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. I'm glad A:O works offline, but wish there was enough interest to somehow get it working with user created servers instead of a central one. As far as I'm aware, its one of the few which can still run without the servers up (at all).

At least it'll continue to be my rose-colored view of my gaming history, since it's one I cannot return to and realize all the lovely parts that I glossed over from being a child.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It is so weird that that game is almost 10 years old. I perpetually think of it as 'a couple of years old'.

Also that it's from Creative Assembly , using their proprietary engine that was used for a hack-and-slash Vikings game, and despite being one of the top games of the last decade was a commercial failure.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
colonial marines poisoned the well for alien video games

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Justin Godscock posted:

I highly recommend it.

Some of the chunks of Isolation I played were just a couple of hours of me moving from hiding place to hiding place and barely inching down a hall because they did such a good job with the AI it feels like the Xenomorph knows.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MrMojok posted:

When I first got it back in 2014, I’d come home from work, open a beer, partake in a little medicinal MJ, and sit down and play it in a totally dark room, wearing a nice set of headphones.

Blows my mind that people were able to play that game in the dark with headphones, even if taking breaks. I salute your gigantic steel balls you absolute tripod :stare:

Since we're all talking about games, has anyone here ever played Space Station 13? I remember it being really popular on here a while back and don't know if it still is or not, but I think it was some online multiplayer (2D graphics with low hardware requirements so should run on anything) game about survival on a space station with saboteurs (think Ash/Burke) and maybe aliens? I'm not sure. I vaguely recall reading some write-ups of gameplay sessions that sounded absolutely hilarious though. Seemed like an entertaining corporate espionage game where you could pretend you're all Weyland-Yutani employees maybe?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Some of the chunks of Isolation I played were just a couple of hours of me moving from hiding place to hiding place and barely inching down a hall because they did such a good job with the AI it feels like the Xenomorph knows.

I had totally avoided gameplay videos, strategies that people posted online, everything. Because I wanted to experience it completely unspoiled.

The big secret of the game is of course to keep moving, but I didn’t know that early on in my first playthrough.

So when the creature is first allowed to roam freely, in the medical level, I found myself completely paralyzed. I’d take a few steps out of the locker, hear it come down out of a nearby vent, and immediately bolt back into the locker just like “welp. The inside of this locker, this is my life now.”

It took me forever to make it out of that level.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Avp2 is better in a lot of ways but you’re right. AvP 2000 just nails it. I can still hear every sound and replay most of the levels in my head.

I’m getting a PC tomorrow from a buddy. That’s the first thing I’m doing with it is snagging that on steam

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sorry, the superior Alien based game is clearly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

colonial marines poisoned the well for alien video games

I ended up renting it because I saw a video of jhonen Vasquez throw it into the toilet. I had to see how bad it was.

It was very very bad!!! There was one level toward the end where you can straight up run through it and not a single alien would touch you. I saw it on a video and tried it myself. Broken rear end game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5WwV9YoW_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTxjVau0iig

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I bet you could do that in at least a few of the COD games. This is not to be read as a defense of Colonial Marines.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. But the last AvP game was kinda meh but the marine sections at least felt really intense and overwhelming. You couldn’t just walk on by

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUNKOS posted:

Blows my mind that people were able to play that game in the dark with headphones, even if taking breaks. I salute your gigantic steel balls you absolute tripod :stare:

I played it this way and it ruled, but I've seen there's a VR mod for it and like, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

CelticPredator posted:

Avp2 is better in a lot of ways but you’re right. AvP 2000 just nails it. I can still hear every sound and replay most of the levels in my head.

I’m getting a PC tomorrow from a buddy. That’s the first thing I’m doing with it is snagging that on steam

When you look it up, I believe there's also a separate "game" entry for it and AvP 2010 that lets you set up a dedicated server for them for multiplayer if you want.

Also look around there's a mod that has the uncensored Predator campaign intro where it shows the guy's head getting blown off in graphic detail instead of zooming in on the Predator as he shoots along with a few other changes. There's debate to this day as to whether the horrible US actors or the latter horrible UK actors are worse. A fascinating array of schlock, the UK actors are all over acting but horrible, the US actors are all kind of sort of better actors but also doing total flat performances. Some can't accept the sudden change of the "US" Colonial Marines officers all being British lmao

well why not posted:

I bet you could do that in at least a few of the COD games. This is not to be read as a defense of Colonial Marines.

I know at least in Black Ops 1 at least the first level or so you can just hang a little back from your AI buddies and basically just stroll through the level.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 21, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m pro us actors lol. The uk stuff is bad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m pro us actors lol. The uk stuff is bad

Hell yes the British actors were so bad for real imo lol WAKE up private, you're in some SEEEERIOUS poo poo!! :laffo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll have to do some research but watching some clips of 2000 I really don’t remember there being much music outside of some light atmosphere stuff. In 2000 music plays constantly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I remember in Games there was some footage of the club part from 2010 when it came out and goons took the ambient club music beats to mean that that was the non-diegetic score and general musical sound of AvP 2010 lol

But it may as well have been because I can't remember a single music track from it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There are a handful of shooters you can do the 'Lieutenant Spiers mad dash' to beat parts of, without getting hurt much or at all. I think the only shooters that explicitly forbid that kind of thing are the new DOOM games, which tend to insist that you kill absolutely everything before you're allowed to move on.

Hell, it's even possible on lower difficulty levels in parts of Aliens Fireteam Elite. I remember being so frustrated by only playing with useless bots that I finished the hangar section at the end of the first campaign by simply running to each objective.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
lol the alien AI in colonial marines is broken because of a single typo in an ini file that you fix yourself

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CelticPredator posted:

yeah avp 2000 doesnt have much of a plot and doesnt need one because it nails the atmosphere and feel of an alien movie. avp2 is good too but the plot gets in the way and none of its going to be followed up on anyway so its hard to get invested or care about it

chewing your way out of a dudes chest in avp2 was pretty cool though lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 21, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I preferred the slower movement speed of AVP2. The first one almost feels like a Quake game. Anyway, it will probably be easier for folks to play AvP 2000 via Steam than having to gently caress around downloading 2. I’m thinking I might get a game together Friday night.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

FilthyImp posted:

Sorry, the superior Alien based game is clearly

I went into a random bar in Vietnam last winter and came across this arcade game just chilling there on Free Play. It is still perfect.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I remember when colonial marines was first announced. For ps2. I had an egm or some other gaming magazine that had a single screenshot and I held onto that for a few years. Seemed like my dream game at the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Isolation was the poo poo and I wish it had sold better because I think the formula and template could work with other properties. Terminator, Halloween, Predator, Friday the 13th, etc.

Or hell just make a direct sequel and have more aliens or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Isolation was the poo poo and I wish it had sold better because I think the formula and template could work with other properties. Terminator, Halloween, Predator, Friday the 13th, etc.

Or hell just make a direct sequel and have more aliens or something.

Hell yes. A Terminator game built around that setup would be incredible

They did make a sequel to continue Ripley's story called Alien: Blackout but it's unfortunately a 5 Nights-esque mobile game where you search for the alien threat on surveillance cameras and direct people around to do objectives while manipulating doors/etc. to make sure they don't run into anything bad.

As far as that type of game goes it's actually pretty good, but there's only a couple of missions unfortunately so it's shortlived, but I appreciate that it is a single player mobile game with no dlc horseshit or gatcha/subscription elements. Should be extremely cheap now.