Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...! posted:

The trophy that was a true bitch was the one for killing three guys with one lightsaber throw. It took me forever to find three guys who would actually line up properly. :argh:

Does the staff's circular throw count, or does it have to be the single blade throw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Wolfsheim posted:

I really like the idea of the bounty hunter kidnapping bit but it's so slapdash in execution. You auto-lose an easy fight you're winning, run through a couple corridors and then fight a random slew of enemies you've already met. The big holo criminal announcer guy is pretty cool though.

This is a thing i really hate in games. Cutscene incompetence or the game just cheating really annoys me. Set an actual trap that will trick the player, and take "they might be winning" into account.

I had a similar experience in some cod or medal of honor game where you're sneaking through a village at night, and I'm hugging a wall getting ready to peek around a corner. Then the game takes over, and my dude, still in first person, walks out in the middle of the road looking straight forward. He is then surprised by an enemy hiding in the exact location I would've been looking had the game not overruled me, and captured.

I get that they have a story they want to tell, but if that story requires the PC to be incompetent, maybe don't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phosphine posted:

This is a thing i really hate in games. Cutscene incompetence or the game just cheating really annoys me. Set an actual trap that will trick the player, and take "they might be winning" into account.

Especially when they have the character that just "beat" you proceed to talk poo poo about how much better than you they are. The recent Miles Morales game I found particularly guilty of this, annoying since I otherwise really enjoyed the game.

As for Fallen Order, am I forgetting or apart from bounty hunters showing up every so often is there any other impact to the weird side-adventure in the fighting arena to the actual game? When I played it felt incredibly detached from the rest of the game and mostly like an either abandoned subplot or an attempt to stretch out the playtime. I felt they could have accomplished much the same with a single cutscene of one of the Inquisitors putting out a bounty on Cal and we'd have ended up with the exact same result.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've been replaying this one and the whole Dark Side = Empire thing is getting to me.

"My mentor was tortured by Space Nazis into giving up my position, leading them to torture me in turn. She was morally wrong to give in to the despicable Space Nazis, therefore my only option was to become a Space Nazi in order to kill her"

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah the frequency and speed at which people go full space Nazi in star wars has increased exponentially over the years. Anakin was given three whole movies and even that was pretty fast once it got going.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
All it takes is a single heated gamer moment. Just like real life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though the gameplay in an actual From game like Elden Ring is objectively better than the gameplay in Jedi Fallen Order, I think the main reason I enjoy the latter more is that fights against non-boss mobs are more relaxed and the environments generally feel less oppressive to traverse. I always burn out on From games because it's just mentally exhausting traversing their areas. I think some people enjoy that tension, but I don't. Which is a shame, because I'd love to play a game with less tense level/world traversal (and a less dour/depressing setting in general), but boss fights like in Sekiro.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

...! posted:

The trophy doesn't require you to counterattack the thing with a kick. You don't have to time it or anything. Let one kick you and then kick it one time at literally any point before you kill it. It's a pretty easy trophy.

The trophy that was a true bitch was the one for killing three guys with one lightsaber throw. It took me forever to find three guys who would actually line up properly. :argh:

There's a spot on the first planet where 4-5 bug enemies spawn, you can get it fairly easily there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

...! posted:

The trophy doesn't require you to counterattack the thing with a kick. You don't have to time it or anything. Let one kick you and then kick it one time at literally any point before you kill it. It's a pretty easy trophy.

I know this but the kick is so finicky and missing it means getting hit and I'm playing on hard so it's just not happening, I'm not even gonna try to get the 'kick an enemy to death without any lightsaber attacks' one because lol

For the three enemies I actually got it accidentally in the swamps of Dathomir in one of the spots where 4-5 witches rush you, but having the extended range + extra lightsaber damage buff probably helped

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this but the kick is so finicky and missing it means getting hit and I'm playing on hard so it's just not happening, I'm not even gonna try to get the 'kick an enemy to death without any lightsaber attacks' one because lol
That one is actually really easy if you try it on one of the rolling bugs in the first world or whatever that die in like two kicks. The melee storm troopers are also on the easy side to kick to death because of all their huge windups or tells and they don't have that much health either.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not even gonna try to get the 'kick an enemy to death without any lightsaber attacks' one because lol

Basic stormtroopers have a very easily dodged melee attack that makes it pretty simple; just hold block and slowly walk towards them until they try it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Okay the kick trophy was actually pretty easy once I got the timing down. I also toyed with the idea of going for the platinum until I realized how incredibly tedious getting the last couple of chests/etc in places like the Zeffo tombs/Kashyyyk swamps would be.

Anyway, that is a wrap on Fallen Order! I did bounce around the planets a bit to see a few of the crew conversations, and there is a lot of little "let's do X after all this is over" which made me wonder if they'll follow up on any of it in the sequel. Here's the last of me messing around in photo mode:

I actually like Cal's little Order 66 flashback, but until I saw this I completely forgot that Lucas took the 'Luke has an impromptu training session with a helmet and targeting ball thing' and made it canon that all padawans use the exact same setup lol

I almost completely forgot about Ilum outside of 'you get the pink lightsaber in some ice' but no, it's a whole-rear end level. Its not bad!

As soon as I grabbed Merrin I bee-lined to the crashed clone wars ship, which is definitely the best part of Zeffo and one of the only really strong levels outside of the beginning and ending. I'm glad to see they're incorporating more clone wars stuff in the sequel, you can only fight the same imperial security droid so many times before you're over it.

I also forgot you meet a Zeffo (Zeffonian? Zeffer?) in a dream sequence because their whole thing is extremely forgettable. If they wanted to do an ancient empire that was a repository of lost knowledge but also had slavery they should have just gone with the Ratakan unless KOTOR stuff was off-limits for some reason.

Despite my misgivings I do really love the final level. Tearing through wave after wave of imperials in basically a straight line is extremely satisfying. Even if the middle is muddled its a game that starts strong and ends strong which is good enough! Also while going through the Trilla -> Vader sequence I realized that the reason the Obi Wan show was so bad was that it was basically a watered-down version of the inquisitors' plotline from Fallen Order.

Bonus: whenever you beat the game the trophy screenshot looks like a freeze frame old sitcoms would do when they end on a laugh line:

"Greez! Tacos again?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't played it in quite a while now, all that's reminding me that it's still a good looking game.

Wolfsheim posted:

"Greez! Tacos again?"

Ok, maybe more just the outdoors stuff :v:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6YBwIPzmk

Merrin kicking rear end and Greez giving great hugs confirmed

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dammit we all should have been balls-deep in this game over the weekend.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
gently caress yeah, Cal and Merrin team attacks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dammit we all should have been balls-deep in this game over the weekend.

Oh man, I forgot about that. What a one-two punch that would've been - Jedi Survivor last weekend and Resident Evil 4 this coming one :sigh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean listen if they got an extra 6 weeks to work on it, it probably needed it

PunkBoy posted:

gently caress yeah, Cal and Merrin team attacks!

Also whoever jetpack mcdoubleblaster is team attack looks like

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I liked the guy's knock-off Kylo Ren saber

I kind of assume the Coruscant part will be the intro and not a full-fledged planet, kind of like the scrapyard was in the first game, because my dreams of a GTA-like set there will never come to fruition

Still have half a mind to wait for a sale or reviews since a Metroidvania going open world can be a real clunky transition but it does look good

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's great to see Merrin, and even better to see Merrin in action, but her bit of fighting looked like a cutscene. I hope there's more to it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madurai posted:

It's great to see Merrin, and even better to see Merrin in action, but her bit of fighting looked like a cutscene. I hope there's more to it.

It's likely in-combat, where you get a little cinematic for team attacks to make sure they go off without a hitch - similar thing happens with the scoundrel character earlier on in the trailer

Which means there's going to be lots of funny screenshots and videos of characters attacking from inside walls or falling into the void

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So we know there's team-up attacks. have they said how they actually work? Do those characters only show up on particular planets/locations? Can you swap them out either on the ship or meditation points? Do they have skill trees?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

So we know there's team-up attacks. have they said how they actually work? Do those characters only show up on particular planets/locations? Can you swap them out either on the ship or meditation points? Do they have skill trees?

There's some things that can be inferred from IGN's videos, where the game devs talk about a push-and-pull system, where you use the lightsaber to gain ammo, which fuels the blaster or (potentially) team attacks, sorta like how attacking was how you regained Force in the first game

And yes, the allies have skill trees, as does each stance

They only say that the partners will join you on certain missions, so they might be (hopefully initially?) planet-locked

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I want to see Merrin trolling enemies by spamming emotes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Not gonna lie, Westernised Merrin would get it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Happier than I should be that Merrin is back

Also: wow Cere looks cool

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wasn't even Sure that was Cere, she looks younger

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When does this take place? I know it's still before Yavin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The stuff Merrin is saying about the flame is actually her force ghost trying to convince Cal to not seek revenge for her death (because she is dead). The clips of her are from before her death in the game's first act.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Somehow, Merrin has returned.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Five years after the first one which was...tennish years after Ep III? There's a 20 year gap between III and IV, right? I forget how old Luke is supposed to be.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

19 or 20, depending on who's counting.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jose Oquendo posted:

Fallen Order was 5 years after Revenge of the Sith, and Survivor is 5 years after FO.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Survivor is roughly contemporaneous with Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do you think the weirdo pale guy inquisitors from Obi Wan talk about how weird it is that all the human women inquisitors keep turning good and then being killed by Darth Vader

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wonder if there ever was a version of the story where Bode was Lando or Han Solo

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In game 3 Cal Kestis and Kyle Katarn will team up to steal the Death Star plans, making the 66th successful attempt at doing so and bringing balance to the Force.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Pwnstar posted:

In game 3 Cal Kestis and Kyle Katarn will team up to steal the Death Star plans, making the 66th successful attempt at doing so and bringing balance to the Force.
Not before befriending a sassy gonk droid. They hide the plans in him. Unfortunately the Rogue One crew miss this very obvious clue and have to go get the plans again.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One thing I do hope is that they don't kill Cal. I'm kinda meh on the notion that all the Jedi have to be dead by the time New Hope rolls around. There were supposed to be like ten thousand of them in the galaxy. It's okay for a few of them to hang on in the margins rather than killing off decent characters for the sake of some dumb canon ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
We already know Ahsoka and Ezra both survive, so it's not impossible that Cal may have too.