Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also how many octopuffs are there in the game??? I only ever saw two types!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I know Triangle Strategy isn't the same studio despite being under the same graphical umbrella, but how is it now that its half price? Is it grindy? Tons of missables? Unbalanced like DOS2? Too long to start?

If anything, Triangle Strategy is anti-grindy. You can’t level past a certain threshold for missions, characters earn XP on a per action basis, behind characters gain that XP extremely quickly, and there are so many different bespoke characters that you’ll find a team you like no matter what.

It does something that very few games in its style do, which is respect your loving time and as a boring rear end adult with boring rear end life poo poo, I appreciate this a whole lot. It’s real good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

precision posted:

I was very confused that Triangle Strategy was not a Fire Emblem ripoff

Edit: it has got to be one of the worst games names ever

Actually Triangle Strategy as a name rules.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Stay tuned for Quadrangle Quest.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Polygon Dating Sim

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Dodeca-Dungeon-Delve

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's 10, but 8 of them are the same power level just with different appearances based on where you find them (get it, Octopuff).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I know Triangle Strategy isn't the same studio despite being under the same graphical umbrella, but how is it now that its half price? Is it grindy? Tons of missables? Unbalanced like DOS2? Too long to start?

Team Asano is responsible for Triangle Strategy, although it has a different dev studio, so it isn't necessarily wrong to suggest that.

When I look at Bravely Default, Octopath, and Triangle Strategy, Triangle strategy has my heart. As others have said, the game starts slow and is very story heavy, but it is an excellent and somewhat unique entry in the "tactics" sub-genre of strategy games.

It has, to me, the best-written story of the three "retro-style" RPG series. Ocotopath is a collection of short stories, Bravely Default is a traditional narrative, and Triangle Strategy is a choose your own adventure book.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's 10, but 8 of them are the same power level just with different appearances based on where you find them (get it, Octopuff).

I have literally only ever seen what I assume are the Brightlands and Harborlands ones, but multiple ones of each. I even wore an Octopuff pot from the moment I found one and assumed they were strictly regional for some reason. :mad:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
i beat occhette and Agnea's boss before I discovered Arcanist, and then I beat Hikaru's boss gauntlet by sleepwalking with Partitio giving everyone 9 dodges.

Oops.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is the endgame supposed to be balanced around 50 or 60? Never mind balance goes out the window when you can max out everyone's BP gauge for free.

Nobody has talked about BD, ever since BD2 was a shrug on par with the Outer Worlds.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 20, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They should port Bravely Default and Bravely Second to non-3DS platforms.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Triangle Strategy feels like it stumbles on a lot, mostly with how some very late missions get ridiculously and annoyingly cruel with reinforcements and just making GBS threads insane damage. It also just took a lot of mental fortitude to wade through the boring characters; they have side-story things to listen to and I just stopped bothering with them because of how bland they were. It's just way less charming affair than the Octopaths.

I feel like whoever is saying it's anti grindy is crazy lol, you absolutely will need to play those mock battles to keep your characters from getting 2-shotted by anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the Tactics Ogre remake better than Triangle Strategy? It is on sale on the eshop

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TriStrat rules, it was my favorite game of last year, the plot is incredibly tight and the way it weaves the gameplay with the story is outstanding.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

DLC Inc posted:

Triangle Strategy feels like it stumbles on a lot, mostly with how some very late missions get ridiculously and annoyingly cruel with reinforcements and just making GBS threads insane damage. It also just took a lot of mental fortitude to wade through the boring characters; they have side-story things to listen to and I just stopped bothering with them because of how bland they were. It's just way less charming affair than the Octopaths.

I feel like whoever is saying it's anti grindy is crazy lol, you absolutely will need to play those mock battles to keep your characters from getting 2-shotted by anything.

You need to do all the mock battles exactly once. Which is as many times as you'll ever want to do them.

Tristrat is probably the most generous tactical RPG I've ever seen with catchup experience, given that experience gain is generated by absolutely any action and doubles for every level you're below the recommended for the map.

And yeah, best new game last year for me by miles. I loved it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did some grinding for money in Triangle Strategy using a specific mock battle but you really don’t end up grinding them for exp, as someone said earlier your exp gains diminish greatly if your character surpasses the recommended level for the mission. The game is really good, I played through four times to get all the endings and I enjoyed it a lot.

There are 30 characters, you’ll probably end up with like 16 the first run and then you can go through the game again and pick different paths to get different characters. Some of the characters are cool and some have neat side story content. Check out the Triangle Strategy thread if you want more info!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959830&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TriStrat is one of these games where it's easy to bounce off it but if you give it time to soak it really shines.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tristrat so good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finished the game today. So good.

The final battle is also really fun.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Finished all 8 stories and I'm backtracking to clean up some other stuff. From here I start doing the crossed path stuff, and then I assume that leads to an eventual culmination?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the crossed path stories, do the 2nd chapters have more substance to them than the first ones? The first ones have been pretty terse so far. Still nice to have them, though.

Re: Triangle Strategy, one thing I like about it is the way all the characters have their own classes/jobs. I'm not a fan of the management/optimization associated with that sort of thing in something like the Fire Emblem games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Combo posted:

Finished all 8 stories and I'm backtracking to clean up some other stuff. From here I start doing the crossed path stuff, and then I assume that leads to an eventual culmination?

Yes you need to do all four crossed paths to unlock the final quest.

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding the crossed path stories, do the 2nd chapters have more substance to them than the first ones? The first ones have been pretty terse so far. Still nice to have them, though.

Re: Triangle Strategy, one thing I like about it is the way all the characters have their own classes/jobs. I'm not a fan of the management/optimization associated with that sort of thing in something like the Fire Emblem games.

The 2nd ones are just continuations of the 1st ones but you'll still need to do them. Some are more relevant than others but they all do kinda matter storywise.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Jesus christ, I just realized that the chained woman in Throne chapter 2 (episode Father) is very likely the same one who asks you to kill her baby in chapter 4. That whole chapter's loving me up. Anyone know what happened to the baby in the end? :ohdear:

e: looking at the cutscenes they do look slightly different. still, what a crazy ending

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 21, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You just turned around and walked out, what do you think happened?

just kidding I'm pretty sure it gets covered in the relevant Next Chapter sidequest

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Mega64 posted:

A bit smaller than the last batch I made, but they should still make for good avatars for anyone that wants them.

e: Replaced with 180x180 models. I resized to 150% in Nearest Neighbor and then cropped off some extra pixels. Still look good to me!

Also if you have any requests, I can try to make it work. Enemy animations are probably simple enough, character sprite animations might take a bit more work due to how the game stores character sprites but I can see what I can do.

Do you mind if I use one of those for a discord avatar? I was just looking for animated sprites to maybe use for one and those are some of the best I've seen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Use them wherever or however you want!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

And complete!

Really fun game. As I said before, I would love for there to either be level scaling, level manipulation (e.g. Xenoblade 2's deleveling), a difficulty slider, or the ability to turn off or easily escape from random encounters. The back half of the game was way too easy due to overleveling--and I actively maintained a group of four who were lower-level to maintain some sense of challenge. I want to take my time and explore the world without it making all the cool tools you're given to play with moot.

I only had trouble with (final chapter spoiler) the second phase of the last boss with magic reflect, because my party consisted of Tenemos, Osvald, and Agnea with a scholar subjob. Magic isn't the best in this game for a few reasons, but the forced multi-target nature of it was actively a hinderance for that battle. Thank goodness for items. I only ever lost to the boss who petrifies you like most people did their first time, I assume, and it got to my main party member/main damage dealer with its first attack.

Final boss fight was really cool. Really would like to see more of the stuff they pulled off in the final chapter throughout the story. Maybe like an intermission chapter. I did find it really awkward that only your main character has lines after a certain point during the last sequences. I was hoping for more of a Final Fantasy VI style "everyone chimes in what they value in this otherwise terrible world." The credits let me view some of the boss animations I never got to see, lol.

Overall a much better experience than the original.

And finally, I mentioned this before, but I'm convinced that the EX skills were added later in development or something, and their functionality changed at some point. So many of them have incorrect descriptions. I finally decided to use Partitio's Share SP move, despite its description, it targets all party members and can overheal. They definitely need a second pass, because I saw that and completely ignored it (for good reason, it would make a hell of a lot more sense to use an item instead). Same with some of the other EX moves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the mobile game worth downloading?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

precision posted:

Is the mobile game worth downloading?

I play it and don't mind it, but the gacha is a bit rough and the pay model is so stupid it doesn't make sense to throw any money at, if you're inclined to do so in those types of games.

You can do the whole story with just 4* units if needed, it will just take a little more effort in some cases.

One nice thing that I wish carried over to Octopath 2 (or 3 eventually) is you carry 8 party members, 4 front and 4 back row. You can rotate them in and out, but those who end their turn in the back row get a % of HP and SP back. So you may have units that you rotate in just for debuffs or heals, and then rotate back out the next time they're needed for that, for example.

Combo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 21, 2023

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I just finished the last crossed path story! It is funny that we have three pretty ominous ones and then Agnea's and Hikari's (I assume the hint here is in the song they sing?).

If this is anything like the last game I assume this is the point where I fully decide on the compositions and equipment of my two teams right? I'll need to get used to the specific strategies for each group of four instead of just swapping people in and out based on what I need for the next story segment.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it normal to have only found one subclass like 20 hours in? I have inventor but haven't found any others.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The eight main ones are gonna be either in second-tier towns or on the way to them. You're not gonna run across them until you start branching out from the early towns and do some of the Chapter 2's.

The other three are more obscure-ish to find. For vague spoilers, one is in the Tier 3 town in the Wildlands, one is on an island in the southeast corner of the map that requires a ship and beating a bonus boss, and one is from an area unlocked after beating all of Hikari's story.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 21, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RoboCicero posted:

I just finished the last crossed path story! It is funny that we have three pretty ominous ones and then Agnea's and Hikari's (I assume the hint here is in the song they sing?).

If this is anything like the last game I assume this is the point where I fully decide on the compositions and equipment of my two teams right? I'll need to get used to the specific strategies for each group of four instead of just swapping people in and out based on what I need for the next story segment.

You only need to do that at the very last THIS IS THE OBVIOUS FINAL BOSS FIGHT section.

Also, without giving away much, the final fight is a little more generous in how strict your compositions need to be.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was I wasting my time when I (Ochette's Tera Route chapter) captured Tera? I saw that Capture was an option, so I spent a while trying to do it before finally succeeding (since the chance seemed like it could never go above 20%). I'm guessing you probably get him regardless?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You have to Capture him, he'll stay at 1hp at most. That said it's easier to Capture as soon as it's feasible to do so so you don't have to faff around with his mechanics.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

You have to Capture him, he'll stay at 1hp at most. That said it's easier to Capture as soon as it's feasible to do so so you don't have to faff around with his mechanics.

Ah, that's interesting to know. I thought I was making things harder for myself by sitting there eating his constant attacks, so it's good to know I wasn't wasting my time (though I definitely would have started trying earlier if I knew it would cap out at 20%). I feel like that would have been tough without a full-party heal.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Boosting also ups your odds of Capture. IIRC, I already had Ochette at 3+ BP when I got the message about Tera faltering, and just maxed it out right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Ngl, the beginning of chapter 1 for Temenos got me real good