Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sensor dry is used to boost their energystar rating. It's been calibrated wrong in basically everything for a long time now.

Just like "normal" wash cycles in some stuff ( newer speedqueen) that don't actually get anything clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

if you own nice clothes don’t buy a speed queen

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got that LG set last year too. Haven't really had a problem with the auto dry. The wifi isn't necessary, but my washer wont connect to wifi if it's been just powered off for some period of time. Have to unplug from wall and plug back in for it to come back on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Enos Cabell posted:

We got the LG WM4000HBA washer and DLEX4000B dryer back in November and they have both been rock solid so far. Zero issues with clothes being dry just using the normal setting. There isn't too much smart stuff, but there are some wash cycles (like an ultra-delicate) that you can only access via the phone app.
Can I be a cousin? WM3900HWA/DLEX4000W. The scuttlebutt is that modern dryers often leave clothes damp because that way they use less energy on Energy Star. This may be a paranoid urban legend.

I've never bothered to use the app or unlock the special features. I should, because the default "normal" wash isn't a cold wash, and I need to figure out a way to change that.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We've had two sets of LG washer/dryers and been happy with both. I preferred the front loader we had at our last house, but it went with the sale. We switched to a top load HE at the new house, and I'm less impressed with that. We've just defaulted to the heavy duty/cold cycle, because Normal uses like half the water, but doesn't seem to do well with bigger loads. I've got a toddler, so I do a load of something easily every other day. Plus my wife goes through clothes like crazy.

My recommendation is front load if you have the space. When the top loader we have now needs replacing, it'll get switched out with a front load, unless I absolutely can't fit one in the laundry closet as is.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I be a cousin? WM3900HWA/DLEX4000W. The scuttlebutt is that modern dryers often leave clothes damp because that way they use less energy on Energy Star. This may be a paranoid urban legend.

I've never bothered to use the app or unlock the special features. I should, because the default "normal" wash isn't a cold wash, and I need to figure out a way to change that.

I'd love if someone can correct me, but I don't believe you can modify the pre-set wash/dry functions. You can create one and "download" it, which makes it selectable on the dial (via the "downloaded" setting), but I don't think you can change the default parameters on existing settings.

We just press the "cold wash" button on the right side of the display. Easier than futzing with the individual settings. Can't remember if it does "cold" or "tap cold," though.

edit:

and honestly that's another strike against the "smart appliance" crap. I'm guessing they don't allow you to modify the pre-sets because of support issues... they don't want to get a billion phone calls asking why a pre-set is something completely different because someone else in the house changed it, or they bought it 2nd hand and didn't factory reset it.

Similarly, IIRC LG's washer/dryers can only have 1 program downloaded at a time... so it's really not all that useful if you deviate much from the standard cycles.

To be sure, the only reason they have connectivity is so they can monetize it via data collection or pushing spare parts (via maintenance reminders or diagnostics). Making it useful to the consumer is just a means to get you to hook it up to your network.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 20, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DaveSauce posted:

To be sure, the only reason they have connectivity is so they can monetize it via data collection or pushing spare parts (via maintenance reminders or diagnostics). Making it useful to the consumer is just a means to get you to hook it up to your network.
This is exactly why I haven't given it internet access. Also, it's like smart refrigerators with display panels on the front: I've never understood the use case. Like, magnets and a whiteboard do just fine for me. Protip: buy a flexible magnetic whiteboard from Amazon. Stick it to the front of the fridge. Note things you run out of when you cook.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm realizing that I might not be talking about "sensor dry", I just hit the power button then the start button for normal loads. I'm not home to check, so if sensor dry is selected another way, disregard my saying it worked great earlier.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm not at home right now, but I'm highly confident that the "normal" setting on that dryer uses the sensor.

Which is why we have taken to using timed dry for pretty much everything.

I mean, even when you spin it back up it stops super fast because it'll detect that the moisture level is below the threshold. So repeated runs on that setting don't work to actually dry things, you need to run a different cycle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sometime last year I asked the thread what the "one weird trick" to dry clothes in an LG was, the unanimous, resounding roar in response was "timed dry"

I've been using "timed dry" for ~6 months now, everything comes out bone dry every time. I just bake the poo poo out of them for 1 hour.

Agree with "sensor dry" just being a cheap gimmick to game Energy Star ratings

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Another LG (WM3400CW and DLE3400W) washer and dryer owner here. Very happy with both, my only complaint is the dumb song it plays at the end.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

song it plays at the end.

Coming in here as a LG combo owner and this being the best part of it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, but my rice cooker has a much better song. :colbert:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can turn the song off if you hate it.

Honestly, I love the smart settings to tell me the load is done. I personally have a problem remembering that a load finished so having a notification for it helps me on that front.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

We just leave the light on in the laundry room if something's in the washer.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I hate my phone dinging whenever a load is done, especially if I'm out of the house and my wife is running laundry... Even though we occasionally forget to shuffle loads.

I left them on as a reminder that I want to disconnect then from WiFi completely, rather than just turn off notifications.

My phone has been dinging for months :eng99:

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Thwomp posted:

You can turn the song off if you hate it.

Yeah but that would require effort on my part.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, but my rice cooker has a much better song. :colbert:

Twinkle Little Star rules.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Amaryllis or bust

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
On our LG set, you have the "downloaded" spot on the dial, but you can also set a "custom" or "favorite" cycle with whatever options you prefer. I know it's the bottom left button on our control panel, and the big instruction sheet that comes with the washer tells you how to set it. Ours is set for heavy duty/cold wash, since that's our most used cycle. Dryer is normal dry cycle/extra dry option, since delicates doesn't get poo poo even close to dry, even with "extra dry" set.

Edit: it's the "Custom PGM" button. Pick your cycle, set whatever options, push and hold to save it. Next time just turn on, push Custom PGM again, and then start. I think I used our downloaded cycle for some sort of small load cycle.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 21, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thanks! I have a LG washer and dryer on the way now. This time, I had the sense to order from a store that does delivery and haul-away included in the price, so I don't get stuck with whatever the washer/dryer equivalent is of a fridge I can't legally dispose of myself because of the refrigerant! :haw:

Speaking of disposing of things: Our waste management company WM (I loving hate them) has sent us all new rules that are beyond irritating. The new recycling rules are fairly complicated for a single-source recycling system and require label removals from all containers, tape removal from cardboard (plus no waxy cardboard allowed) checking what the polymer numbers are for each type of plastic, washing out any food residue, etc etc. Failure to do so = a $25 per occurrence fee to the household. On top of that, they now charge $10 per occurrence for any garbage can left to be picked up that is overfilled, which they define as "lid not sitting flat against the rim of the can." The catch with that, of course, is that they also canceled one of the two cans I was paying for and are limiting it to one per household now (I was paying extra for that second one), so I have to fit fewer types of recyclables plus the same garbage into half the cans, or get fined.

Oh, and our garbage rates went up 14% too. Yeah.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 21, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Whats the best way to clean up years of lovely paint jobs by previous homeowners on wood trim while not stripping the finish or paint on the wall?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the best way to clean up years of lovely paint jobs by previous homeowners on wood trim while not stripping the finish or paint on the wall?

Ah it’s my house!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Probably lots of careful scraping with a small knife.

Honestly it's the kind of job where unless it's original victorian wood trimming hand-crafted by an army of tradespeople using a technique that died out in the Hoover administration I'd probably either A) find a more time-effective solution or B) live with it.

Option C would be to just carry a knife in your pocket around the house for a year and scrape off flecks when you see them and the inclination strikes.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

I look forward to this bullshit coming our way eventually, they just acquired our local company.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
For some reason the POs in my place painted over the heating/cooling vents and the circuit breaker cover :psyduck:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

Thanks! I have a LG washer and dryer on the way now. This time, I had the sense to order from a store that does delivery and haul-away included in the price, so I don't get stuck with whatever the washer/dryer equivalent is of a fridge I can't legally dispose of myself because of the refrigerant! :haw:

Speaking of disposing of things: Our waste management company WM (I loving hate them) has sent us all new rules that are beyond irritating. The new recycling rules are fairly complicated for a single-source recycling system and require label removals from all containers, tape removal from cardboard (plus no waxy cardboard allowed) checking what the polymer numbers are for each type of plastic, washing out any food residue, etc etc. Failure to do so = a $25 per occurrence fee to the household. On top of that, they now charge $10 per occurrence for any garbage can left to be picked up that is overfilled, which they define as "lid not sitting flat against the rim of the can." The catch with that, of course, is that they also canceled one of the two cans I was paying for and are limiting it to one per household now (I was paying extra for that second one), so I have to fit fewer types of recyclables plus the same garbage into half the cans, or get fined.

Oh, and our garbage rates went up 14% too. Yeah.

Oh god we just signed up with them in your town too. Damnit. In other news ask me about getting months of free trash service

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Oh god we just signed up with them in your town too. Damnit. In other news ask me about getting months of free trash service

Yep, using the previous owners’ cans! I did that for like 6 months before anyone figured it out. Me included, to be honest. I thought my hoa fee was including it :D

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'd at least give Krud Kutters Latex Paint Remover a try in an inconspicuous area to see if it damages the wood finish. It doesn't work wonders but it does work.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably lots of careful scraping with a small knife.

Honestly it's the kind of job where unless it's original victorian wood trimming hand-crafted by an army of tradespeople using a technique that died out in the Hoover administration I'd probably either A) find a more time-effective solution or B) live with it.

Option C would be to just carry a knife in your pocket around the house for a year and scrape off flecks when you see them and the inclination strikes.

I think its nice oak from the early 1900s, so nice but nothing spectacular.

I could live with it if it was just here and there. But its like every piece of trim in the house thats suffered over 100 years.

StormDrain posted:

I'd at least give Krud Kutters Latex Paint Remover a try in an inconspicuous area to see if it damages the wood finish. It doesn't work wonders but it does work.

Thanks, will give that a shot.

Guess I am resigned to this being a 10 year project where I just get one spot here and there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

For some reason the POs in my place painted over the heating/cooling vents and the circuit breaker cover :psyduck:

Congrats on your flipper house

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It doesn’t have to be a flipper house, just the PO hiring the cheapest possible painters to try to rent, fail, and then sell the house. Air Intake painted, power panel painted, lots of “oh they didn’t even remove the plug wall plate”, and the kitchen cabinets repainted with wall paint.

Oh well, it’s fine now. Except that the drywall tape was failing and that was also painted over, so those cracks are showing up now along the border of most walls. fun!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

Yep, using the previous owners’ cans! I did that for like 6 months before anyone figured it out. Me included, to be honest. I thought my hoa fee was including it :D

We were waiting for a bill in the mail with an account number to sign up with :banjo:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Sundae posted:

I'm paying for trash, but have the POs larger cans as well as the smaller ones I'm paying for. It's great for recycling that I didn't realize was every other week instead of every week when I signed up. The larger garbage can I've only had to use a couple of times, but it's nice to have the option. Wish I would have known the PO left the cans before I signed up. I got away with a free year of electricity when I moved apartments once like 10 years ago. I just never signed up and the power company didn't say anything until about a year after I moved in.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Congrats on your flipper house

Funny enough the POs had been there for ~5 years or so; guess they just hired the cheapest poo poo available.

Let's not even talk about the weird hackjob that was done to put in a W/D combo :v:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The PO of my house added a breezeway and 3 season porch between the house and the garage to connect the two. They left the windows that were originally between them on what was the outer wall of the house. I have a bathroom window looking into the porch.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

dxt posted:

The PO of my house added a breezeway and 3 season porch between the house and the garage to connect the two. They left the windows that were originally between them on what was the outer wall of the house. I have a bathroom window looking into the porch.

You have a covered viewing angle for sickos. :yeshaha:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Anyone have advice on gas fireplace inserts? We have a wood fireplace with a gas starter now, but would much rather just have it be straight gas. Our primary goal is to have a backup heat source for if there's a power outage, secondary goal just to be something easy and cozy and low maintenance that we can fire up from time to time.

From looking around, it looks like we'd want:
- Vented (no impact on air quality, which is one of the reasons we're not just keeping the wood one)
- Electric starter w/ battery backup
- Blower (though we realize this wouldn't work with no power)
- High efficiency (seems like we want 75%+ efficiency?)

Anything else to look for? Any gotchas I'm missing?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 22, 2023

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

RoyalScion posted:

Funny enough the POs had been there for ~5 years or so; guess they just hired the cheapest poo poo available.

Let's not even talk about the weird hackjob that was done to put in a W/D combo :v:

When we first moved in from a different city we asked our neighbors (been here 10+) a few times who they’d hired to do various jobs and we quickly learned they only hire the cheapest shittiest people. They aren’t broke or anything. Now we use them as a barometer for who not to hire.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Infinotize posted:

When we first moved in from a different city we asked our neighbors (been here 10+) a few times who they’d hired to do various jobs and we quickly learned they only hire the cheapest shittiest people. They aren’t broke or anything. Now we use them as a barometer for who not to hire.

No one ever seems to want to pay for a quality job. My nextdoor and local FB groups are full of people looking for "reasonable priced <tradesman/handyman>" or "someone who does X at a fair price". All that's code for them being cheapasses. There's a lot of older people in my area and there is a surprising amount of people thinking they can hire local high school kids to do manual labor for 5 or 10 bucks an hour. Some of those people post a month or two later complaining either about the quality of the work they got, or that they took off with their money and didn't finish the job. Also never sign up for Nextdoor, it's worse than FB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

skipdogg posted:

No one ever seems to want to pay for a quality job. My nextdoor and local FB groups are full of people looking for "reasonable priced <tradesman/handyman>" or "someone who does X at a fair price". All that's code for them being cheapasses. There's a lot of older people in my area and there is a surprising amount of people thinking they can hire local high school kids to do manual labor for 5 or 10 bucks an hour. Some of those people post a month or two later complaining either about the quality of the work they got, or that they took off with their money and didn't finish the job. Also never sign up for Nextdoor, it's worse than FB.

Any tips for finding the rare people who will actually do a quality job?