Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The sleeper damage unit of Norsca and Chaos is Marauder Throwing Axes. Yes they're short range and you're gonna have to screen and manually move them a lot. But I promise you, toss those axes from 2+ marauders into the flank or back of anything in the game except a few choice SEMs. They're gonna melt. They come in cavalry flavor too.

Depending on which chaos lord you are there's also having a big marauder/chaos frontline and then 4-6 demon units as your hammer. Khorne dogs, Tzeentch shooting, Slaanesh flankers, Nurgle... just kidding, Nurgle flies and beasts of Nurgle are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mordja posted:

Hmmm, so I'm missing two pieces of DLC from TWW2 and they're 50% off, the Grom one and the Taurox one. How well do those two big boys play in TWW3?

Taurox is fun as hell and I'm sad the other Beastmen lords don't have some sort map/campaign mechanic to make them as fun.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Doomykins posted:

The sleeper damage unit of Norsca and Chaos is Marauder Throwing Axes. Yes they're short range and you're gonna have to screen and manually move them a lot. But I promise you, toss those axes from 2+ marauders into the flank or back of anything in the game except a few choice SEMs. They're gonna melt. They come in cavalry flavor too.

Depending on which chaos lord you are there's also having a big marauder/chaos frontline and then 4-6 demon units as your hammer. Khorne dogs, Tzeentch shooting, Slaanesh flankers, Nurgle... just kidding, Nurgle flies and beasts of Nurgle are great.

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure chaos warriors only get the mounted version but yes I constantly underestimate ranged marauder units when fighting either Norsca or CW factions and I always end up regretting it lol.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Noir89 posted:

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure chaos warriors only get the mounted version but yes I constantly underestimate ranged marauder units when fighting either Norsca or CW factions and I always end up regretting it lol.

Yeah, chaos only gets the mounted version. They are nasty, though.

Also I've played only 2 turns of the Marienburg mod so far but it looks high quality.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for the tips friends, will try some of these out later.

I'm too early in my campaign to get Chosen, but I like the idea of going as wide as possible and trying to flank always. I'm too used to setting up missile formations with depth and units in reserve to defend my flanks, rather than taking the offense to the enemy armies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

Thanks for the tips friends, will try some of these out later.

I'm too early in my campaign to get Chosen, but I like the idea of going as wide as possible and trying to flank always. I'm too used to setting up missile formations with depth and units in reserve to defend my flanks, rather than taking the offense to the enemy armies.

Yeah, spread out, surround, and use small-count units as force multipliers in the line while your flankers hit everything else. Your infantry is pretty loving unmatched, just let them do their thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

A mechanic where Grimgor can equip LL chorf hats if he beats them in combat would be great.

Instead of getting traits for defeating legendary lords, they should award a hat that you can equip as chorfs

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it is kinda weird they changed the DE slave mechanic because a lot of players didn't like it only to reskin it with a few changes for chaos dwarves. But whatevs.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Leal posted:

Instead of getting traits for defeating legendary lords, they should award a hat that you can equip as chorfs

Demanding an Eltharion-esque "capture the enemy lord" mod for Chaos Dwarfs except instead of researching special stuff off of them you put them to gathering raw materials.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Marmaduke! posted:

I've been playing the Taurox campaign over the last week and it's decent but there's a few mechanics to get your head around at first. Five different factors to watch, what is this, Chaos Dwarfs?

If you don't figure out your ruination station first it can mean you don't get a second lord for a long time. I didn't even realise that you got the extra movement by clicking the little button in the bottom left corner until about turn 50.

Yeah I'll cosign this -- the beastmen rework is incredible and really pushes the envelope of what's possible with a TW faction, but I think it has maybe one or two too many mechanics to think about (and Taurox adds a couple of his own on top of that). It's not too bad once you've got a couple campaigns under your belt and know what you do and don't need to think about at any given time but it's a little intimidating at first.

Cranappleberry posted:

it is kinda weird they changed the DE slave mechanic because a lot of players didn't like it only to reskin it with a few changes for chaos dwarves. But whatevs.

Yeah I'm curious how they'll differentiate it in gameplay, if at all. DLC and main games are done by two different teams, no? Would be annoying but kinda funny they both independently came up with the same crummy idea and they'll have to walk it back again

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They changed the DE mechanic cause you could make infinite money with it

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
drat, I don't remember Skarbrand's campaign being this hard at launch. though really, more than being "hard", it's that all his campaign mechanics are trap options that will backfire if you invest too heavily into them early on

Blood Hosts cost so much in upkeep that using them grinds the growth of your real stacks to a halt, since sacking stuff only barely brings in enough to keep him afloat. And in IE he's near several LLs with strong ranged, but he needs to build up his settlements to get anything that isn't either slow as hell or frail as hell.

I think I blew it and will end up needing to restart, I killed my momentum too early with too many Blood Hosts and now Skarbrand's ten levels behind Thorek and Settra, both of whom are gunning for him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

rideANDxORdie posted:

Is it just me or do Astragoth's base stats seem ridiculously overloaded? 60+ in speed, MAtk, MDef, >100 armor, magic attacks, armor piercing on a caster seems ridiculous to me. He's going to dumpster most of the caster lords and hold his own/win against lords specifically designed to be duelists. Makes the Ogre LLs look even more poo poo in comparison.

He does not get any mounts or anything. Dude was also pretty impressive on the TT.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: Tbh... idk. He may be a bit overtuned but doesnt look glaringly broken. Some trimming in a few stats should be ok.

Does he count as a Large model?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 20, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cranappleberry posted:

You can instantly build buildings by expending labour and the Chorfs have multiple unique currencies all working in tandem rather than just one. This doesn't mean it'll be good or anything, but it's not just the Dark Elves slave mechanic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

It wasn't because people didn't like it, it was because there was essentially no interaction with it on the players' side. Find money-maker province, shove slaves into it, turn off slaves elsewhere. Done. Literally the only time you will ever think about slaves. Maybe you make two or three moneymaking provinces later in the game. Wow!

Also the fact that it made so much money you essentially didn't need anything else.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Vizuyos posted:

drat, I don't remember Skarbrand's campaign being this hard at launch. though really, more than being "hard", it's that all his campaign mechanics are trap options that will backfire if you invest too heavily into them early on

Blood Hosts cost so much in upkeep that using them grinds the growth of your real stacks to a halt, since sacking stuff only barely brings in enough to keep him afloat. And in IE he's near several LLs with strong ranged, but he needs to build up his settlements to get anything that isn't either slow as hell or frail as hell.

I think I blew it and will end up needing to restart, I killed my momentum too early with too many Blood Hosts and now Skarbrand's ten levels behind Thorek and Settra, both of whom are gunning for him

Yeah, early on I found myself using the blood host option only for the heal and immediately deleted the host because they just weren't worth the upkeep. Once you get some techs that drop some heavy hitters in there they can be useful force multipliers. Early on, though, they feel like a liability more than a help except in a few circumstances.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cranappleberry posted:

it is kinda weird they changed the DE slave mechanic because a lot of players didn't like it...

first I am hearing about this

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

You can instantly build buildings by expending labour and the Chorfs have multiple unique currencies all working in tandem rather than just one. This doesn't mean it'll be good or anything, but it's not just the Dark Elves slave mechanic.

I'll elaborate. It's the same spreadsheet-like set up for distribution in provinces. Not saying the Chorfs don't have other mechanics to engage with including tweaks to the original, just that they changed the DE mechanic and then ported the original over to use for the Chorfs.

Ravenfood posted:

It wasn't because people didn't like it, it was because there was essentially no interaction with it on the players' side. Find money-maker province, shove slaves into it, turn off slaves elsewhere. Done. Literally the only time you will ever think about slaves. Maybe you make two or three moneymaking provinces later in the game. Wow!

Also the fact that it made so much money you essentially didn't need anything else.

ime it's even less-involved now. Before you might check your new provinces and redistribute to maximize output but you could also game it using Masters to decrease decay (not saying that was balanced, but it does involve interaction)

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 20, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ok, the Marienburg mod needs some balance passes. The caravan encounters are loving absurd compared to the strength of the starting caravans. There is just no good way to level them up the way you can with Cathay.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
preordered the chaos dwarf pack so I can be OP

at the end-game stage of my vanilla dorf run... what's the deal with the rat end-game scenario? do they just appear all at once after 10 turns or something?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Does the mod that allows you to tailor which AI factions get boosts or maluses in the campaign no longer exist? I can't find it in WH2 workshop

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ammanas posted:

Does the mod that allows you to tailor which AI factions get boosts or maluses in the campaign no longer exist? I can't find it in WH2 workshop

Unnatural Selection Ultimate right? Should be here

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2853974146

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Thank you, that's it!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Ravenfood posted:

Ok, the Marienburg mod needs some balance passes. The caravan encounters are loving absurd compared to the strength of the starting caravans. There is just no good way to level them up the way you can with Cathay.

I do love the idea that their main legendary lord is a rich old man that should just stay at home instead of commanding

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So playing Orion is a bit unfair for the rest of the world.

Starts out unbreakable, and throwing ballista bolts. Every 5 turns gets the wild hunt event, giving unlimited deep root usage for the entire faction each then, and buffs him to the point he outruns cav. Also starts with bound reskinned lore of metal spells, the bonbardment and the hounds vortex.

Can’t say it isn’t a ton of fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Midnightghoul posted:

I do love the idea that their main legendary lord is a rich old man that should just stay at home instead of commanding

Yeah that's handled in a really neat way. Honestly all I think it needs is that Marienburg needs more slots (3 landmarks and a port doesn't leave much room for anything else) and research to add new units and levels to newly hired convoys.

I haven't done Cathay in IE yet, so maybe it's like that there too but my convoys have been picked off pretty regularly and haven't been able to get off the ground. In RoC I had some fights and close calls but nothing like most of my convoys getting smashed, sometimes even by the routine events, not even having to sail past Be'lakor. Some way to keep new caravans in play and not just hoping your first few get all recruitment events so they can actually hold up.

One event army had something like 6 black guard of naggarond and 8 darkshards and some other crap I didn't even notice. Some Executioners too. There was no way my convoy was going to beat that 10 turns in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've picked up this game for the first time in ages, going back to basics with TW1 until I get a grip on things. Averland now belongs to the rightful Emperor, but something seems amiss...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

he loves humans

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

tww1 random traits were great

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Thorgrim has stayed out of the Book because the others literally don't understand him when he starts going on about making peace with the orcs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Flavahbeast posted:

tww1 random traits were great

gonna krump deez weeds

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Mordja posted:

Hmmm, so I'm missing two pieces of DLC from TWW2 and they're 50% off, the Grom one and the Taurox one. How well do those two big boys play in TWW3?

Grom has arguably the best voice acting in the game, with Greenskins in general being funny.

My girlfriend prefers I play Grom just because I can be on the PC while she's doing crosswords or something and she likes to hear him randomly scream "GROM DA PAUNCH!" or "BIGGEST GOBBO EVAHHHHH"

Collecting the ingredients is fun and cooking recipes is fun. You can run all-gobbo armies which again, Gobbos win on style points alone because I like hearing them scream "DIS STINKS!" as they're getting blown up by artillery.

If you're playing Grom on the Warhammer 3 map you're best off just holding your original province securely and then sending Grom off on a rampage into the Elf Donut or somewhere else because the climate in France is lovely for Grom and holding the territory is tough. You can hold your original capital with just the garrison or a stack of cheap Gobbos.

Running Gobbo armies is good because they are incredibly cheap and can get really strong with all the fun recipes, so you can have multiple stacks of Gobbo assholes pretty early. Run around raiding and pillaging and head for the mountains to the East or the Donut to the West while making friends with Ikit Claw down south. Backing up your gobbos with some crazy rat artillery or weapons team is good stuff.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 21, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The chorf book of grudges is a single train that doesn't break for anything

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

Thorgrim has stayed out of the Book because the others literally don't understand him when he starts going on about making peace with the orcs

Obviously when he talks about burying the Axe, it's in their skulls. Must be.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The Lokhir campaign victory conditions don't make any sense. You've sailed all the way to Cathay to crush the dragon empire and maybe beat up that dork Imrik, but the game wants you to go back to Ulthuan and deal with the High Elves? I don't want to do that, let the other 4 legendary Dark Elf lords handle the shiny elves.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah, this is true for a bunch of lords. For IE, the short victory condition is unique to each specific lord but the long victory is the same for all lords of a given race. So you can end up with real annoying long victory objectives for lords that start far away from their race's homelands.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uh guys.. GUYS?!

Remember those posts on Reddit about adding a new region to Attila and Warhammer 3? How it may lead to new stuff added via modding?

Well.. uh.. They did it.

A literal mini campaign set in Albion has been added to the workshop as a proof of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50iKKhd36I

We're in a new era of modding, one that promises to lengthen this games lifetime by a decade or more!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 21, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gejnor posted:

Uh guys.. GUYS?!

Remember those posts on Reddit about adding a new region to Attila and Warhammer 3? How it may lead to new stuff added via modding?

Well.. uh.. They did it.

A literal mini campaign set in Albion has been added to the workshop as a proof of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50iKKhd36I

We're in a new era of modding, one that promises to lengthen this games lifetime by a decade or more!

:dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hmm kazuuk imo