Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I haven't had any wants pop up. I may have turned that off, I'd need to check.

e: Wants are enabled, but I've gotten absolutely none popping up. Not even a bee box.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://youtu.be/U9c3WEYTJIU

Trailer for Life By You came out today. Some gameplay segments. Looks a lot like a Sims game made by Paradox, and I mean that in both senses. Interested in what you all think.

Early access launch for September of this year.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 20, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It looks more like a zoomed in real time strategy game than it does a Sims-like. I don't know. The vibe is just off.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Seems like the perfect Sims game mechanically, I'll just have to put up with the boring rear end gramphics. drat shame the preorder bonus seems to be an Epic exclusive, they're already starting their DLC bonanza

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

someone will probably convert it to a mod immediately tbh

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:thunk:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I dont really know what to make of it, but Sims 4 is the only game in town rn and of course Ill buy this. The animation looked a little stiff tho, but thats Paradox, I guess. Im kind of a fidgety person, so it stuck out, but its only 2min of an internal build.

It reminded me of a mix between 1 and 3, tho I cant really place why. Maybe it was the crying at work?

also

youd be an absolute fool not to

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The dog painting is appropriate because woof

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

wizard2 posted:

I dont really know what to make of it, but Sims 4 is the only game in town rn and of course Ill buy this. The animation looked a little stiff tho, but thats Paradox, I guess. Im kind of a fidgety person, so it stuck out, but its only 2min of an internal build.

This is kinda my feeling. To put the whole trailer in a word is “Huh”. Definitely a lot more sterile than Sims 4. While I’d consider the style of TS4 painfully generic, it at least has some character this one lacks. But still, Paradox so I’m not completely taken by surprise. I am optimistic, though. And if it’s a rough launch, I’m hoping above all else that it’s not given up on?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What I personally want out of Sims is the experience of just loading up a family and watching half the neighborhood just crash in on their home life at random.

That means I'm stuck with Sims 2.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Even if ParadoxSims turns out to be not as good as EASims, having serious competition can only be a good thing for the genre.

Strangely enough, I was a bit weirded out that the first trailer had the immediate confirmation of same-sex relationships. I wouldn't even consider buying the game if I was forced to only play straight people in it, of course. But it still felt a bit weird, and I don't know why. Not that I expected anything else, I can make all of medieval Europe gay in Crusader Kings 3 through game options, Paradox have been a good ally for a long time now. Perhaps I'm now at the stage where I just expect these kinds of genres to be gay inclusive?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I am pretty excited for it, not gonna lie! Open world and moddable already sealed the deal for me, and I have zero expectations for Paralives to ever be anything worth playing so having some competition for the sims is great. I agree that the trailer was quick to point out the flexible relationships aspect but I'm not surprised since I imagine a lot of the user base is into that, I am not sure if my wife has ever made a 100% straight sim. I also like that it's real-language conversations for some reason, assuming it's done well and actually useful in gameplay somehow. And to top it off the free-form planning for the map is great, I hated being limited to specific plots in the sims and being able to just stick a building wherever, rotate it a bit etc., will give a lot of flexibility. Pretty sure I'll preorder two copies as soon as it's available, Paradox is good.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Torrannor posted:

Even if ParadoxSims turns out to be not as good as EASims, having serious competition can only be a good thing for the genre.

Strangely enough, I was a bit weirded out that the first trailer had the immediate confirmation of same-sex relationships. I wouldn't even consider buying the game if I was forced to only play straight people in it, of course. But it still felt a bit weird, and I don't know why. Not that I expected anything else, I can make all of medieval Europe gay in Crusader Kings 3 through game options, Paradox have been a good ally for a long time now. Perhaps I'm now at the stage where I just expect these kinds of genres to be gay inclusive?

Weirded? You expected it, but it was weird it was included?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm liking that there is finally competition to The Sims, if nothing else it'll be good to have something out there prioritizing the simulation aspect. However, the thing that stood out to me in the preview trailer is that it doesn't look like the game can decide if it's a life simulator ala The Sims, or a 3rd person RPG taking place in a life simulator. The conversation tool specifically looks confusing to me because it fits really well with a single character, but presumably you're going to be fairly social and talking a lot - having to go through a dialog cutscene that wouldn't be out of place in a 3rd person RPG for every conversation the selected character has will get old in about thirty minutes.

Basically it looks like a life simulator that couldn't figure out which core gameplay loop it wanted, so it just does several simultaneously. It might work but from what they've shown so far I'm skeptical.

Also 40 bucks + pre-order exclusives for a product tagged as early access is red flag to me these days when the game is made by a large team.

Edit: Also the shadows and pop-in in the previews are noticeably rough. A lot of the sterile look comes from the lighting being flat. For instance here, the lack of any object casting a shadow is really clear:

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 21, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It looks so ugly. The whole drat thing

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Typical Paradox. trying to make The Sims woke :ironicat:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the art style (or lack thereof), animations, lighting and music look extremely bad.
the heavy emphasis on modding might be a good thing. let customers develop the game for you (like bethesda).
did i mention that it looks mindshatteringly ugly

Omnicarus posted:

Also 40 bucks + pre-order exclusives for a product tagged as early access is red flag to me these days when the game is made by a large team.

this too lmao. absolute ksp2 moment

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

surprised myself at how much i'm bothered by the aesthetics yeah. if it had any kind of distinct art style then they might be able to pull off the economical graphics but no it's mostly ugly. hammering home all the creation tools is probably smart for a lot of the potential audience who wants to create their stories but i didnt see anything that appeals to the kind of game i'd want it to be, i.e. something with some kind of progression challenge built on top of a dynamic town simulator

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I'm the plate of food on the floor just in front of the counter during the kitchen scene. I'll just be happy if these "humans" don't want a glass of water every three seconds like their sims counterparts.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

surprised myself at how much i'm bothered by the aesthetics yeah. if it had any kind of distinct art style then they might be able to pull off the economical graphics but no it's mostly ugly.

paralives looks great for a low budget indie game. no excuse for paradox

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

marumaru posted:

paralives looks great for a low budget indie game. no excuse for paradox

Ten minutes have past. Time to grill a dozen tofu dogs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you like having your Sims play with children, Growing Together is absolutely worth it. Your sprog starts out as a Newborn (standard lump in bassinet) and then graduates to become an Infant. Now your Sims can coo at your infant, cuddle it, practice tummy time so that it learns how to hold its head up, and on and on. I'm having a great time, and look forward to having a toddler. (In real life, been there done that got the ear damage)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
what's the point of adding more baby life stages? i'd prefer something between children and teens than another drat baby. it's weird that kids jump from 7-8 years old to 16 without anything in between

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

macabresca posted:

it's weird that kids jump from 7-8 years old to 16 without anything in between

That's how life works in Dragon Ball at least

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Tween life stage would just be children but angry

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I haven't gotten that far, but there's supposed to be a lot more content for "all life stages".

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the thing that makes me most tentative, other than the art style, is the idea of dialog boxes when talking to people. That’s going to get old really fast unless it’s optional and if it’s optional, what’s the point.

I’m still in wait and see, but I do hope it’s good if only to get EA on its toes.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just had a terrible thought: what if it's all Chat GPT bullshit

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mutantIke posted:

lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mutantIke posted:

All dialogue options are 'shout forbidden words.'

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

macabresca posted:

what's the point of adding more baby life stages? i'd prefer something between children and teens than another drat baby. it's weird that kids jump from 7-8 years old to 16 without anything in between

Be nice, EA has only so much money to spend on one of its most consistently performing franchises that keeps printing money, and making a new infant life stage is way cheaper than preteens since you only need to come up with compelling gameplay for five in-game days in normal lifespan, rather than like at least a whole two weeks or so.

Also infants need less animations and clothes. No-brainer, really.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Life By You has some interesting points but I too am leery of any project from an established studio that A) has early access, B) says they will be in early access for around a year, and C) plans on raising prices after the early access period.

Also I basically exclusively play Sims in a multi-generational style and I am wondering how that will work out in a game with a more accurate age and date system. I get that you can apparently skip ahead 10 years at once but I feel that is an entirely different game play style.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

hopeandjoy posted:

I think the thing that makes me most tentative, other than the art style, is the idea of dialog boxes when talking to people. That’s going to get old really fast unless it’s optional and if it’s optional, what’s the point.

Same. Simlish keeping the dialogue fresh enough to never be annoying and ambiguous enough that we can fill in the gaps with our imaginations was a stroke of genius and imo is a major pillar of The Sims being as good as it is. With AI models now I guess we're reached a point where we can overcome the first issue even with real language, but I think the ambiguity of a fake language is only a benefit.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the sims does so much right that it's hard for any copycats to do the same without looking like, well, copycats

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

marumaru posted:

the sims does so much right that it's hard for any copycats to do the same without looking like, well, copycats

:emptyquote:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I agree, and for that reason I kind of feel like it's folly to avoid trying to copy at least Sims 1. IMO it's one of the best designed games ever. But at this point it's been 20 years and EA's taken the franchise in a very particular direction away from it, in many ways; even using the exact same base, just by iterating on that base differently I feel like you could easily make an appreciably different product from 2/3/4. It's what a lot of fans want, if anything.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hellioning posted:

Life By You has some interesting points but I too am leery of any project from an established studio that A) has early access, B) says they will be in early access for around a year, and C) plans on raising prices after the early access period.

Isn't that...how Early Access is supposed to work? They're making it available for cheap to people who want to play around with an unfinished project and act as beta testers, and then they'll institute the actual price once they feel it's complete. Sounds like a win-win to me; they'll self-select for the most eager testers, and those players will pay less for the product because it will be a buggy mess.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Isn't that...how Early Access is supposed to work? They're making it available for cheap to people who want to play around with an unfinished project and act as beta testers, and then they'll institute the actual price once they feel it's complete. Sounds like a win-win to me; they'll self-select for the most eager testers, and those players will pay less for the product because it will be a buggy mess.

Yes, and that's exactly why Early Access is a problem.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ive literally never played a bad early access game but also i'm extremely smart and wise so i wait until the game is a hit and im just buying it 3 months before 1.0 to save $15 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
unlike the sims 4 where everyone pays to be a beta tester with no discount