Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd never waste a shrinker on an enforcer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Pipe bomb em!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As a kid I struggled to understand DN3D's Freezethrower. It was the final weapon on the roster, which meant it was the ultimate weapon! Duke's BFG! But I could never decipher its secrets, and it haunted me.
If you were a true Duke murderhead you'd remember that the Devastator is the final weapon on the roster :colbert: even though it first shows up in E2L1 while the Freezethrower first shows up in E2L2, which is weirdly backwards from how you'd think they'd introduce them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think the whole thing is screwy because it's in the final weapon slot. It's shocking how much the devastator and shrinker break the game though lol. Then the RPG I feel. I adore the pipe bombs. It's shocking how much more useful they were than other games grenades would be for a while

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, until the advent of the dedicated grenade button, having grenades you could delay detonation of until things lined up just right was probably the next best thing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, until the advent of the dedicated grenade button, having grenades you could delay detonation of until things lined up just right was probably the next best thing.

makes me think of how awful and floaty HL1 grenades feel

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

verbal enema posted:

makes me think of how awful and floaty HL1 grenades feel

god yes. And yet I always found myself running low

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Matt Berry as JC Denton is a funny thought though.

simons, you really are the most devious bastard in nyew yahk citayyy

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
You and Manderley were... <arches eyebrow> buddies?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked how Quake II hand grenades felt. Like they weren't super useful in the base game, but Weapons Factory went nuts with powerful special grenade types and they all felt really good to throw.

If you think "no, you're wrong, there's no way the Quake II hand grenades feel good" compare Weapons Factory to Weapons Factory Arena which just feels like you have a low-velocity grenade launcher attached to your face because there was no throw animation, the grenade spawned oddly high, and they really didn't arc or bounce any different from the stock grenade launcher.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I really like Lunar Apocalypse :ohdear: The overuse of the explosive drones, an enemy that already sucks poo poo, does get grating though. Dark Side is the best of the episode tho.

I wouldn't say I really like it, I think it is probably the weakest of the episodes (haven't played Alien World Order though. Hey Randy, when you gonna release that on GOG?), but thought it's largely ok. That said:

Gaspy Conana posted:

tbh I think it could've been a great episode with more-or-less the same exact maps but with the following changes:

1) add some dadgummed personality. an alien bar? an alien truck stop + convenience store space station? go all in on the grey alien roswell UFO stuff with an actual disc ship and human experiments? butthole probe jokes are 100% duke nukem material.

2) nuke the drones

Absolutely. Make it feel a little more lived-in. I immediately think of the recreation section in System Shock 2.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

You and Manderley were... <arches eyebrow> buddies?

I know it doesn't fit but now I'm imagining Manderley played by Richard Ayoade.

"If we don't recover this Ambrosia my arse is grass and Simons' got a lawnmower, dig?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Viscerafest finished. My recently played library overwhelmingly filled with games that are unfinished :(

Fun game though. Kinda neat mechanic stiffing you on ammo as it does but the guns felt pretty good and I wish you could use them more

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Milo and POTUS posted:

Duke's still good if you can deal with age appropriate cringe.

Which there's definitely a lot of, mind

I know this was three pages back but Duke Carribbean is the end-all-be-all of Duke Cringetm but in a good way. I don't know how many takes it took to get "Your rear end is grass, and I've got the weed whacker!" without JSJ cracking up in the middle, but I'm so glad they got it.

BattleMaster posted:

I liked how Quake II hand grenades felt. Like they weren't super useful in the base game, but Weapons Factory went nuts with powerful special grenade types and they all felt really good to throw.

If you think "no, you're wrong, there's no way the Quake II hand grenades feel good" compare Weapons Factory to Weapons Factory Arena which just feels like you have a low-velocity grenade launcher attached to your face because there was no throw animation, the grenade spawned oddly high, and they really didn't arc or bounce any different from the stock grenade launcher.

Chaos Q2 had a bunch of cool grenade types as well, not that you'd ever use them over the huge variety of other weapons.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Does Quake 2 have any "must try" singleplayer mods? Anything on the scale of something like Arcane Dimensions for Q1?

Pretty much just looking for a reason to keep it installed, I haven't really dabbled in anything Q2 related in probably 20 years.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Powerslave build has awful grenades, probably my biggest knock on the game other than the lack of variety

Would love to just throw in the grenade launcher from shadow warrior instead

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Offhand hotkey-based hand grenades are the best hand grenades. Having to switch to grenades and back is annoying. Making it use the same ammo as the grenade launcher is doubly annoying.

Was there a Quake II gameplay mod that improved the single player core gameplay, weapons, and monsters to suck less? Not that it would do me any good, though, because I use a custom build of Q2DOS for Windows 95 (yes) with a software renderer that has Engoo's colored lighting, and the mods are C libraries tailored to a specific platform and engine build. My libraries aren't even DLL format, but some weird DOS knockoff of DLLs made by DJGPP using the extension .dxe.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 21, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nades need their own hotkey absolutely, but pipebombs using the same ammo is the RPG is just good design.

See Also: Duke Nukem Manhattan Project

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Weedle posted:

simons, you really are the most devious bastard in nyew yahk citayyy

Mr Jackie Daytona, in the flesh. As dark and serious as his brother.

Also

https://twitter.com/FortunesRun/status/1637911115119177730

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Deakul posted:

Does Quake 2 have any "must try" singleplayer mods? Anything on the scale of something like Arcane Dimensions for Q1?

Pretty much just looking for a reason to keep it installed, I haven't really dabbled in anything Q2 related in probably 20 years.

no

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

Pretty sure QuakeUlf is the last remaining Quake 2 SP mapper, with everyone else having either gone back to Q1 or forward to HL1. Here's his biggest mapset: Sonic Mayhem.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Deakul posted:

Half Life

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nice try but Half-Life is based on Quake (it technically uses a little bit from QuakeWorld and Quake II but the vast majority of id code that made it into it was from Quake)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dominic makes a Doom tweet thread. He mixes mods and commercial games, so let's put it here:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1637929502830370817

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

Dominic makes a Doom tweet thread. He mixes mods and commercial games, so let's put it here:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1637929502830370817

From the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOkBoPQqObs&hd=1

Holy crap that looks nice. And also plays nice.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is unfortunately a very boring mod, it's not nearly as big an overhaul as HL2 MMod and mostly just makes grunt fights more annoying. For the former you might say HL1 is much closer to a perfect game than HL2 is, but still it's not great.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I keep Quake 2 installed as to play DM on tastyspleen. This is pretty much the only reason yo have q2 installed. So that you may frag on The Edge.

Duh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/SeriousSamIAm/status/1638104832136314880

22 years of running backwards... The entire series is on heavy discount on both Steam and GOG, with the Steam release of the original First Encounter currently sitting at a mere 99c! GOG's prices seem slightly more expensive, weirdly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mr Jackie Daytona, in the flesh. As dark and serious as his brother.

Also

https://twitter.com/FortunesRun/status/1637911115119177730

This is so right up my alley, but I have to admit I'm irrationally bugged by the sprite billboarding I'm seeing in these trailers. Any time the player is above or below the enemies they look like paper. That was never part of the old-school look, only source ports! :argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/SeriousSamIAm/status/1638104832136314880

22 years of running backwards... The entire series is on heavy discount on both Steam and GOG, with the Steam release of the original First Encounter currently sitting at a mere 99c! GOG's prices seem slightly more expensive, weirdly.

Great games. One of the most fun co-op experiences I've ever had.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Serious Sam and the first Far Cry were outliers with their bright sunny outdoor settings, they were a real refreshing change from your boilerplate dingy dungeons and space bases of the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Name Change posted:

This is unfortunately a very boring mod, it's not nearly as big an overhaul as HL2 MMod and mostly just makes grunt fights more annoying. For the former you might say HL1 is much closer to a perfect game than HL2 is, but still it's not great.

*me, wisely* HL1 is great

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

This is so right up my alley, but I have to admit I'm irrationally bugged by the sprite billboarding I'm seeing in these trailers. Any time the player is above or below the enemies they look like paper. That was never part of the old-school look, only source ports! :argh:

This game looks extremely cool but it's got that thing where it makes me sick. It's so weird how some games do and others don't. Talk about dingy space bases though, everything is loving grimy

e: poo poo double post

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ign was a bit cringe here, but the game looks fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23dPeZ5mjws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCjiowUsRY

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 21, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Looks awesome. Kinda love the aesthetic now that I've soured on Ultrakill.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure QuakeUlf is the last remaining Quake 2 SP mapper, with everyone else having either gone back to Q1 or forward to HL1. Here's his biggest mapset: Sonic Mayhem.

Awesome, thanks dude.

Q2 is warming on me a little bit but I still think it has the most anemic FPS arsenal I've ever seen.

I really miss the days of 3d modeled explosions though, they always looked so cool.

And holy poo poo Boltgun looks rad as gently caress.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
that ign preview suggests boltgun is gonna have doom eternal-style "weapon vs. enemy" efficiency rock-paper-scissors stuff why do we need this why can't we just have guns that shoot good and you pick what works for the situation

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arivia posted:

that ign preview suggests boltgun is gonna have doom eternal-style "weapon vs. enemy" efficiency rock-paper-scissors stuff why do we need this why can't we just have guns that shoot good and you pick what works for the situation

Probably because Doom Eternal was the perfect game.

Anyway, I'm guessing from the video I'm guessing what it really means is that you'll end up wanting to use armor piercing weapons on armored enemies which makes sense, because it's Warhammer.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Arivia posted:

that ign preview suggests boltgun is gonna have doom eternal-style "weapon vs. enemy" efficiency rock-paper-scissors stuff
Doom Eternal doesn't have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Volte posted:

Doom Eternal doesn't have that
:hai: