Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My master is ~59 years old and he's had the same black belt for something like 15-20+ years. It's getting threadbare in the knot area but it's "his" belt and he wears it all the time.

When he got promoted to his 8th Dan this past summer, Grand Master ordered him a new Eosin belt, similar to mine but with the VIII Dan numerals. I don't think I've ever seen him wear it :lol:

I guess it's like an old pair of jeans or he doesn't want to go through the break in process again with the knot.

Maybe both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For you guys that do tournaments are you doing it old school with paper or have you entered the last century and use tablets/PCs/apps?

Looking for software that allows you to display/modify the brackets, show results via a video output.. like think of having a TV/projector for the crowds to see the status of the bracket, ring, etc?

Just kind of a fact finding process right now.

Last large tournament we had we used some god awful web based software (which used an app) and it was abysmal. Doesn't necessarily need something with an app integration (although not necessarily against it), more for smaller tournaments with only handful of schools in a smaller facility and preferably super easy to use and understand.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
cant you just have a powerpoint or excel sheet or something

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well I guess a person could for literally just keeping track, but I was thinking of something that also integrated something with a polished front end, for spectators purposes as well.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Smoothcomp is what appears to be regularly used for jiu jitsu/bjj.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

I vaguely recall something like that happening to me too. It went away because we do it ALL the time. That's our sparring stance and many of our drills are done that way too. I suspect with time and repetition it will for you too.

Also, remember a while ago I was asking about thoughts on an appropriate BB tattoo? Here is the finale copy/paste from the YLLS tattoo thread.

Slide, this is G R E A T! Love it!

CommonShore posted:

The tattoo journey reminds me of something:

Does anyone here save their old belts? I know from my time teaching that some parents/families love to save them as mementos for their kids, and you can find belt display stands but like... I just throw my old belts into the community bin for the club to award to someone else some day.

My son and I both ended up getting these display racks that I think are the same as Slidebite's that we both have our TKD belts, medals, tournament laminates and such on. My son is totally done with martial arts period, but he's still proud of his, so he leaves it up in his bedroom. I keep mine in my office to remind me daily that I used to go to a belt mill and that in a real school, that poo poo is earned. Once I advance in BJJ, I'll probably...man, I dunno? hang 'em in my training area in the garage?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Y'all I hate to double post, but I have to tell someone about this. I just got home from class after a week off, was a little brutal, but you know, whatever, you just do it and do the best you can, right? Got partnered up with a dude that I like, we ran drills, had a good time, got some one-no one time with both instructors and all that, which is cool, then did free sparring. I did WAAY better than I usually do, which is rad, but after class my instructors pulled me aside, which I don't think they ever really do to any white belts. They went out of their way to tell me how much they love having me in class due to how much "positivity and good energy I bring which brings everyone else up" and y'all I feel absolutely incredible right now. That's gonna mean as much as any stripe or belt I ever get. Shower and kombucha time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's awesome man.

I always try to havee a good talk to jr belts, glad you get them too. Even senior color belts. I don't give a poo poo if you're 6 or 60, it's great to hear positive feedback that acknowledges your effort. Good job.

Also thanks for the compliment on the ink.

Now, excuse me while I ice my jaw and fat lip from taking a kick to the face from a 14 year old girl.
e:

Mekchu posted:

Smoothcomp is what appears to be regularly used for jiu jitsu/bjj.
Thanks. Will check into it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 14, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hell yeah. I've since signed up for Wing Chun for a half year (all I could afford at the time :negative: ) and every little bit of (sincere) encouragement helps. I'm clearly engaged and working with what I have but whenever I get an extra little acknowledgement for at least trying my damnedest it makes my day.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

EdsTeioh posted:

Y'all I hate to double post, but I have to tell someone about this. I just got home from class after a week off, was a little brutal, but you know, whatever, you just do it and do the best you can, right? Got partnered up with a dude that I like, we ran drills, had a good time, got some one-no one time with both instructors and all that, which is cool, then did free sparring. I did WAAY better than I usually do, which is rad, but after class my instructors pulled me aside, which I don't think they ever really do to any white belts. They went out of their way to tell me how much they love having me in class due to how much "positivity and good energy I bring which brings everyone else up" and y'all I feel absolutely incredible right now. That's gonna mean as much as any stripe or belt I ever get. Shower and kombucha time.

Aside from making the gym a more enjoyable place to be, having a good attitude is also great for your long-term development 'cause it means the instructors and senior students will be happy to work with you. I'll happily train with an enthusiastic and coachable white belt over a grumpy know-it-all purple belt any day.

CommonShore posted:

Does nobody else like wearing a well-worn belt? I love a faded belt.

Funny story about that. Exposition for anyone who hasn't competed in one before: the IBJJF is notoriously strict about the uniform requirements for gis at their tournaments, to the point where they have a guy with a specialized measuring tool to check the width of your sleeve cuffs, lapel length, etc. right before you step on the mat for your matches. I did my first IBJJF tournament a few years ago, and I knew about those rules and planned accordingly (even brought a spare gi just in case) but completely failed to consider that belts were also covered by the "can't be excessively worn" rule. The guy with the measuring stick just glanced at my beat-to-hell blue belt and shook his head without bothering to check anything else. I had barely enough time to dash over to the Fuji booth and buy a replacement, and it wasn't until that adrenaline dump wore off while I was waiting in the bullpen when I realized that the guy who rang me up for the belt was none other than Travis Stevens. You know, the judo Olympic medalist.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went to the dentist yesterday for a check up. My normal dentist was not in so her partner gave me the check up. My normal dentist used to train with me so she understand if I am sore or have visible bruises.

It was fun watching her facial expressions go through changes as I explained that I got a fat lip and a sore jaw because I got kicked in the face from a 14 year old girl :lol:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The chatty hygienist is how my parents found out I was prepping for my first MMA fight :psyduck:

I didn't end up competing after hand injuries sidelined me for good, but oh man, was that an awkward phone call to have to deal with on a week night.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I taught a perfect pair of back to back classes 3 weeks ago and have just been chasing that high since.

People were getting the instruction, I could give usable feedback, they were making good adjustments, evenly matched partners for drills, having a lot of fun. It was tremendous all around.

Last 2 weeks haven't been as good. It's quite similar to training, having good days and bad, and randomly seeing things all come together.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It is nice when you instruct and it just "works" and you can tell it was a great class. I've only been assisting for the most part but every now and then I have to become the default primary and it is a good feeling when you can tell that your instructions are making a difference and the students get better (and seem to enjoy it).

I had to talk to 2 of our younger members for contact and control yesterday. One, an approx, 9-10 year old green belt girl just smoked a boy about her age, maybe a year or two younger with a front snap kick. They were doing part of a drill where they both knew what was coming but he didn't block like he was supposed to. Collapsed on the floor, tried to be tough but tears ensued. She might have actually kicked him in the nuts.

Second, the same ~14 year old girl that kicked me in the face Weds kicked a little girl in the face during free sparring. The ironic part was that it was literally 2 seconds after I yelled "Watch your distance and control!" <whack>

Little girl had a bleeding lip and blood in her mouth. Her mom was there to clean her up. The offender was shaken and in tears. I took her to the side, again (I did Weds too) - "You know what I'm going to say. You need to watch your control. Always remember to look at your target because you need to be able to see if they're not blocking or out of the way you need to be able to pull it. This is 2 days in a row now, and I know because I was the first time." She nodded and took a breather for a couple minutes while being very visibly upset.

It's kind of a fine line with us, we really need female members that can, and more importantly, actually enjoy sparring. But at the same time we don't want the other younger members to be scared of them which, if you get a fat lip or knocked pretty hard a few times, they're probably going to. That can make members quit. But god drat, neither of them are scared of anyone. I actually had the 2 offenders partnered up with each other for sparring the round before and it was fun to watch this little 9ish year old girl just be a loving tank to this other "aggressive" 14 year old that had about 1' in height on her too. Neither of them used to having another female opponent that didn't just back away.

We're accepting contracts right now for black belt program with December testing (9 month contract). Since I just got my 1 Dan in June I'm not quite eligible as I need to wait at least 1 year from last testing. My master last night basically told me that he wants me to prepare myself to contract for my 2nd Dan this fall. We're not getting any younger, and truth be told I still train a lot so I might as well do the commitment anyhow. If all goes well, I'll sign up in Sept for June 2024 testing (2 years exactly since my 1st). Putting out some feelers to friends of mine, it's always way better if you have at least one, preferably 2-3 "comparable" others who go at the same time for partner work and practising and testing together.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Interesting claim, one that I'm not sure is much contested

https://talonfootwear.com/why-tal%C3%B3n%3F

World's 1st Practical Self Defense Shoe!!!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting claim, one that I'm not sure is much contested

https://talonfootwear.com/why-tal%C3%B3n%3F

World's 1st Practical Self Defense Shoe!!!

There's something really funny about "Talón (Spanish for heel in english) "

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

quote:

Now for the boring;) bits from our Chief designer Alexander Gross - NASA Apollo 11 spacesuit creator.

Apollo 11 space suit creator? :raise:

So is this guy like 100 years old?

E: is it just a bad joke?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 21, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He must be ancient but apparently he's real:
https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/instant-message/38-how-the-moon-landing-changed-tech-forever/6dd28a15-044a-445f-9ecd-be5e393f5f3b
he sounds fine, not like typical old man rasp.

e: he said he was in school in Mercury and Gemini, so say he was 22 in 1965 when Gemini was going. He'd be 80 today.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 21, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hope old dude is making some bank with this.

Good grief

quote:

The shaping ( styling ) of the upper represents a stealth fighting machine……choose your weapon!! The sleek silhouette tapers into a killer toe box

The color is a stealthy smooth dull finish for smooth aerodynamic kicking. Its non-reflecting radar absorbing airfoil is inspired by the SR 71 Blackbird!

:wow:

If only I didn't have size clown shoe feet, I'd definitely buy one in each color.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Drilled a shitload of scissor sweeps last night and even caught a dude that's way better than I am with a legit one after he thought he blocked me. I love BJJ, y'all. That is all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice :3:

So we do color belt testing 4 times a year (every ~3 months). We do all the testing at our main school, which includes the 3 branch schools (2 small towns and also a large High School where it is a legit, accredited, 3-credit high school course).

We have 150 people testing.

About 50 white belts, 50 yellow belts, and the balance will be other colors. I think we *might* have caught up on members, with more now (or at least the same) than we did before 2020, but still down on active BBs, which will just take time to rebuild.

Thats a crazy high number. It is going to be a very loooong Saturday.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That's awesome but yeah that day sounds brutal. How often do you let people test? (I mean, I know it's every quarter, but what are the individual requirements?)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For the most junior belts (white->yellow->green stripe), its usually pretty fast, 3-6 months is typical between tests. And to be perfectly honest, it's not difficult. The tests are all very basic moves and straight memorization, with some sparring, or something that at least resembles sparring in the most general sense.

Younger members that have ADD (or some adults for that matter) may be on the slower side of that. And that's no problem. But I've never seen anyone fail a white->yellow test. I guess if you totally froze and did nothing you could, but it's closest thing to you're going to get for a gimmie.

The Green stripe to Green is similar to the yellow to green stripe test, but has the new form/pattern. I have seen a couple green stripes fail their green tests but I would not call it "common"

So, I guess to answer your question:

To get to Green (which is when it definitely starts to ratchet up in difficulty and expectations) can be done in a year, but it's typically falling between 12-18ish months from a fresh newbie white (White->Yellow->Green Stripe->Green)

It could be done in faster, could be 9 months which is about as fast as it can realistically be done, and I'd say probably 30-50% try to accomplish that. I've actually seen it 6 months once due to a double promotion which is very rare (less than 1% for sure) but not impossible if its a talented student. However that's more of an honor, and looking back with what I know now, I would really not want it. Not that it was ever a risk, I'm just not that talented lol.

After that, it becomes more common to go closer to a year or more between testings. It starts to really come down to commitment and how fast you can pick things up. Especially when you test to a new full color.

Of course, the more senior the rank, the more challenging things become and the more fussy the testing is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

More and more, I'm observing issues with teaching techniques for normal stance pairings, like two orthodox stances or two southpaws.
In the drills, I have the person practicing the throw/catch to stand in their preferred stance and the striker offering themselves up to stand to match.
If the catcher is southpaw and the striker is naturally orthodox, their southpaw striking combos can be worse, sometimes significantly worse in the beginner class, to the point of being a disservice to the catcher.

This Wednesday, I tried to address this by teaching a technique for same stance and then teaching a mirror stance variation, and then having the students switch partners so they could see it both ways.
That sorta worked, and I think everyone was a bit sharper working in their natural stance the whole time.

For the level 2 class, I've been having as few as 2 people show up, and those two happen to be mirror stance, so I can gamble and bring a whole class' worth of mirror stance stuff to work on.
This Wednesday, it was just one guy, and during light/interactive sparring, I went orthodox to match him from my natural southpaw. I realized I'm not very good at one of the throws I taught from orthodox -- I could show my timing on when to go for it, but my execution was sloppy enough that it was easy to defend. And if I went southpaw, that throw just wasn't an option. So I didn't offer as much practice working aganist that throw as he deserved.

If there were a book on martial arts instruction, there'd probably be a chapter or two on how to organize teaching and accomodating southpaws. In the heyday of the gym, we had a huge proportion of southpaws, like close to 30%? Part of it was cuz the founder of the school was fine with righties taking up a southpaw stance. In last wave of senior students, both the southpaws, including me, were righties who just trained southpaw. Even now, my classes have an unusual proportion of people who are southpaw.
Iirc, our coach would just come by and show a different technique for people/pairs who didn't match the default stance configuration being taught.

Some notes for next class:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

For the most junior belts (white->yellow->green stripe), its usually pretty fast, 3-6 months is typical between tests. And to be perfectly honest, it's not difficult. The tests are all very basic moves and straight memorization, with some sparring, or something that at least resembles sparring in the most general sense.

Younger members that have ADD (or some adults for that matter) may be on the slower side of that. And that's no problem. But I've never seen anyone fail a white->yellow test. I guess if you totally froze and did nothing you could, but it's closest thing to you're going to get for a gimmie.

The Green stripe to Green is similar to the yellow to green stripe test, but has the new form/pattern. I have seen a couple green stripes fail their green tests but I would not call it "common"

So, I guess to answer your question:

To get to Green (which is when it definitely starts to ratchet up in difficulty and expectations) can be done in a year, but it's typically falling between 12-18ish months from a fresh newbie white (White->Yellow->Green Stripe->Green)

It could be done in faster, could be 9 months which is about as fast as it can realistically be done, and I'd say probably 30-50% try to accomplish that. I've actually seen it 6 months once due to a double promotion which is very rare (less than 1% for sure) but not impossible if its a talented student. However that's more of an honor, and looking back with what I know now, I would really not want it. Not that it was ever a risk, I'm just not that talented lol.

After that, it becomes more common to go closer to a year or more between testings. It starts to really come down to commitment and how fast you can pick things up. Especially when you test to a new full color.

Of course, the more senior the rank, the more challenging things become and the more fussy the testing is.

Ah gotcha. That's a much better pace than at the McDojo I used to go to where they were pushing you for green level 1 within like...3 months I think? The more I think about it, I'm still proud of everything I accomplished there to an extent, but man, that place was 100% a belt mill. In a way, I'm really glad my son decided to quit which made me re-evaluate what I wanted from martial arts.

I did 2 days in a row in BJJ this week and my my body is feeling EVERYTHING right now. Giant bruise on my thigh and forearm, sore/skinned knees, mat burn on my feet and knuckles, some weird new pain in my side, but good god I feel great. I've become pretty good friends with the girl I was nervous to drill with and we had a pretty fantastic roll last night where I thought she had me beaten but I managed to float over into a guillotine from a full mount. Feels good, man.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those massive arm and thigh bruises tend to come from people crushing down on your upper arm or leg, often with their shins or knees. To a degree they just happen but you might be able to avoid it a little if you're mindful of what causes it.

If you take a knee and kneel down you'll notice your lower shin makes a gap between the knee and the ball of your foot - that's where you want to trap their limb, it immobilizes it without crushing.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jack B Nimble posted:

Those massive arm and thigh bruises tend to come from people crushing down on your upper arm or leg, often with their shins or knees. To a degree they just happen but you might be able to avoid it a little if you're mindful of what causes it.

If you take a knee and kneel down you'll notice your lower shin makes a gap between the knee and the ball of your foot - that's where you want to trap their limb, it immobilizes it without crushing.

The thigh ones are, I think, from getting swept while in a guard. What happens is that when I get tossed, I end up landing on my partners lower leg with that side of the thigh, then repeat that for 45 minutes. You’re 100% correct on the arm ones though and thanks very much; I’ll try to be mindful of that!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We had our color test yesterday. This was the view from the head table as we were wrapping up with the white belts. Either the GM or one of the instructors give a debrief as we wrap up with the various color groups to give feedback on what was great, what wasn't so great, and some general advice on improvement. The white belts by definition haven't tested before so the vast majority of them had zero clue what to expect. A significant portion also train at the branch schools, so being thrown into a "new" school with a whole crowd of people (stranger students and their families in the crowd) is pretty intimidating so that wreaked havoc on the nerves of many and it showed. The young members were, with a few exceptions, struggled. Lots of memory and focus problems, like doing the wrong move and losing count. Just a train wreck. BUT they all eventually made it through to finish their requirements and no total melt downs. The difference between the white->yellow was drastic. It was immediately apparent at what a difference what just 3-6 more months of training did in addition to testing before.

Adult white and yellow belts in general did really well, they were absolutely ready.

Senior belts in general fared well but there was a general over-arching theme of poor distance control in their pre-arranged (that quasi choreographed section I've mentioned before) sparring. Probably not enough to fail any though; a few missteps but nothing disastrous. No injuries in sparring which is nice to see, although it is not a BB test other than an exceptionally talented Jr which needed to be a partner with a red belt.

It was the largest single test we've run in our 30 year history though. It was nice to see :3:

Speaking to the masters we're getting close to pre-pandemic levels of general membership but not quite there yet. Probably another 20% to get back. If I had to guess, probably this autumn we'll get there. We're past our busiest season for new enrolments (fall and Jan), we'll lose some over the late spring/summer (typically due to students/holidays) and then come Sept we get another large influx.

kimbo305 posted:

More and more, I'm observing issues with teaching techniques for normal stance pairings, like two orthodox stances or two southpaws.
In the drills, I have the person practicing the throw/catch to stand in their preferred stance and the striker offering themselves up to stand to match.
If the catcher is southpaw and the striker is naturally orthodox, their southpaw striking combos can be worse, sometimes significantly worse in the beginner class, to the point of being a disservice to the catcher.

This Wednesday, I tried to address this by teaching a technique for same stance and then teaching a mirror stance variation, and then having the students switch partners so they could see it both ways.
That sorta worked, and I think everyone was a bit sharper working in their natural stance the whole time.

For the level 2 class, I've been having as few as 2 people show up, and those two happen to be mirror stance, so I can gamble and bring a whole class' worth of mirror stance stuff to work on.
This Wednesday, it was just one guy, and during light/interactive sparring, I went orthodox to match him from my natural southpaw. I realized I'm not very good at one of the throws I taught from orthodox -- I could show my timing on when to go for it, but my execution was sloppy enough that it was easy to defend. And if I went southpaw, that throw just wasn't an option. So I didn't offer as much practice working aganist that throw as he deserved.

If there were a book on martial arts instruction, there'd probably be a chapter or two on how to organize teaching and accomodating southpaws. In the heyday of the gym, we had a huge proportion of southpaws, like close to 30%? Part of it was cuz the founder of the school was fine with righties taking up a southpaw stance. In last wave of senior students, both the southpaws, including me, were righties who just trained southpaw. Even now, my classes have an unusual proportion of people who are southpaw.
Iirc, our coach would just come by and show a different technique for people/pairs who didn't match the default stance configuration being taught.

Some notes for next class:

I'm not a BJJ/ground work guy but I appreciate the effort in your posts. We will often do mirror stances, but it's generally purely technique dependant on what's being done in the drill. It's generally so we don't end up kicking to the back. I like reaction drills where the attacker as to potentially do a quick stance change to do an appropriate kick, kind of replicating sparring so you can do it very quickly without telegraphing, which is easier said then done.

I think it is kind of a double edged sword with smaller than expected classes, I've seem some instructors be excited about a great lesson plan only to have a much smaller class than expected show up so it's kind of a letdown, but the flip side it's a good time to maybe experiment a bit especially if the students that do show are the ones most responsive to it before introducing something new to a bigger class.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did some stretching and side rising kick drills. Got some really good height, was going to the top of the head of my 6'2" partner.

Was going well until I hosed up my left hamstring :(

Extra spicy because my sciatic nerve got tweaked out of it too. Fortunately the worst of that appears to be done, so I am not waiting to see how hosed the hammy is over the next couple days.

I iced it as soon as I got home and can move it decently so I'm hoping it's not that bad.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Did some stretching and side rising kick drills. Got some really good height, was going to the top of the head of my 6'2" partner.

Was going well until I hosed up my left hamstring :(

Extra spicy because my sciatic nerve got tweaked out of it too. Fortunately the worst of that appears to be done, so I am not waiting to see how hosed the hammy is over the next couple days.

I iced it as soon as I got home and can move it decently so I'm hoping it's not that bad.

That exact thing is the one thing I don't miss about TKD.

In other news, last night I managed to lock a triangle on a MUCH better guy than me but dumb n00b I am, forgot to pull down on the head. Kept it locked on for like 2 minutes wondering why he wouldn't tap. :iiam:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Any tips on conditioning forearms? I'm a weak softbody new to MA and I am working out a bit more and eating a little more consciously...

But doing the simple, white-belt level strike/parry drills hurt like hell, as I'm literally clashing forearms with people stronger/more toned than I am. I know I get stronger by continuing to do it, but they don't have that happen all the time, so I'd like to somehow keep doing it at home, short of just chopping at random things around the house.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Get one of those Bokeem Woodbine "straight jackin" things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YJrwWvsi4

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Morter posted:

Any tips on conditioning forearms? I'm a weak softbody new to MA and I am working out a bit more and eating a little more consciously...

But doing the simple, white-belt level strike/parry drills hurt like hell, as I'm literally clashing forearms with people stronger/more toned than I am. I know I get stronger by continuing to do it, but they don't have that happen all the time, so I'd like to somehow keep doing it at home, short of just chopping at random things around the house.

If you want to build muscle then any sort of lifting will help.

If you want a simple drill, try this. Stand up. Sick your arms out. Set a 1 min timer. The movement is fully clenching your fist, splaying your fingers out wide, going back to this strong clench. Do as many as you can in the minute.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Count Roland posted:

If you want to build muscle then any sort of lifting will help.

Mainly conditioning and whatever that I can do to reduce pain (or raise my tolerance of it), but those sound really good. I'll do those. Thank you.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

EdsTeioh posted:

That exact thing is the one thing I don't miss about TKD.

In other news, last night I managed to lock a triangle on a MUCH better guy than me but dumb n00b I am, forgot to pull down on the head. Kept it locked on for like 2 minutes wondering why he wouldn't tap. :iiam:

There's a lot of ways to tighten a triangle, and pulling down on the head is just one of them. The biggest thing you can do to take away space is to cut an angle so that your hips are turned away from the top person instead of squared up to them, which should bring your hamstring in contact with the side of their neck instead of your inner thigh. The rule of thumb I've been taught is "turn your hips until you can look into their ear", like so:

The upshot is that even if the top person is good at maintaining enough space that you can't finish the choke, the triangle a really strong position in its own right, not just a submission. I've finished way more armbars from the triangle position than I have the actual choke, for example.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That's very helpful! One of the coolest things about BJJ so far is seeing how much TINY variations and movements like this can make or break a hold. Like you see someone do a rear naked choke on TV and you're like "aw yeah that's like a sleeper hold form wrestling; I can do that!" then you lock in in and there are about 4000 things to be mindful of for it to work exactly as intended.

And yeah, afterwards when we were going over it, he even said that I had a perfect armbar on if I'd have been mindful of it and could have basically finished with either one at any time. TBH though, I'm calling it a win for myself since the goal in that roll was for me to start in spider guard and improve to at least closed guard and keep them from passing guard in any form (which I did). We kept going just out of enthusiasm and the fact that I moved from spider to closed and then even managed to even get the triangle position on against that guy who is VERY good; like probably top 3 white belts in our school and in much better shape than me was a massive confidence builder and I love that he was willing to go over it with me afterwards. Once again, I love BJJ, y'all.

ninja edit: how do you folks (any art, but grappling/throwing in particular) deal with MASSIVE weight discrepencies?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Nestharken posted:

The upshot is that even if the top person is good at maintaining enough space that you can't finish the choke, the triangle a really strong position in its own right, not just a submission. I've finished way more armbars from the triangle position than I have the actual choke, for example.

My instructor has been impressing this on me and it’s really opened up so many more options. One of the big things he’s worked on with me is not bringing the arm across the body to finish the triangle because the arm on teh wrong side is a high percentage kimura, and you can still finish the triangle with it on the wrong side if you want to.

EdsTeioh posted:

ninja edit: how do you folks (any art, but grappling/throwing in particular) deal with MASSIVE weight discrepencies?

Get on top stay on top.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just fought some massive white belts this morning. When I had mount I was almost floating; I didn't glue myself to my opponent because I probably couldn't stop them just rolling me over. I was very ready to bail to neon belly. If they got any kind of grip I'd either break it immediately or move to prevent the reversal, even if I had to give up other attacks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

I'm not a BJJ/ground work guy but I appreciate the effort in your posts. We will often do mirror stances, but it's generally purely technique dependant on what's being done in the drill. It's generally so we don't end up kicking to the back. I like reaction drills where the attacker as to potentially do a quick stance change to do an appropriate kick, kind of replicating sparring so you can do it very quickly without telegraphing, which is easier said then done.

I should stress that what I teach, sanshou, specifically emphasizes staying off the ground, such that if you land on top of your thrown opponent, that's worth less than staying standing.
I tell students that training sanshou is an ok introduction to takedown awareness, both offensively and defensively, but you would be a quite incomplete (but maybe still effective) MMA competitor without additional ground specific work, retooling your throws to maintain control onto the ground, and learning better takedowns for when you aren't wearing boxing gloves.

On that last note, sanshou is probably one of the best sports for learning a throw repertoire within that limitation. I'm sure plenty of people who train for MMA seriously would be comfortable with the ruleset, given how often they spar with boxing gloves on.

Today I tried to teach one each of same-stance and mirror-stance throws for the same situation (the mirror stance one from the notes) and circulate the 2 southpaws across the 5 other students. It didn't work that well. I think 3 and 4 would have been better. But small class and odd person out always makes it a bit harder to circulate and review people's technique.

Morter posted:

There's not much you can do besides get used to it. For especially bad bruises, you can ice them after class, and add heat later. Like taking a hot shower. And give yourself extra rest/sleep, of course.
You get a bit better about fine tuning your positioning to avoid really banging against someone else's bone, but bruises will happen for the rest of your time training. Your nerves just sort of get used to it. I remember once I went mountain biking, took a small spill, and felt an irritation for the rest of the session. I finally looked down at the end and saw that I had 3-4 puncture wounds on my shin and had bled down to my sock. Kicking a heavy bag enough will deaden the nerves. I dunno if that's medically precise, but the effect is pretty real.

There's no need to try to build up extra outside of class. If you are feeling super tough, you can try to rub the bruises to circulate the fluid out and reduce the bump size.
Some people swear by various roller gadgets like this:

but it was always too much effort for me to keep up with.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
When I started bjj my shins were conditioned by kicking the bag from the tkd days. So one of my few effective positions was camping out in shin pins and watching my fellow white belts writhe in agony. Good times.