Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Should point out that it's not coffee, it's Coffey, as in the type of still used (column, as opposed to pot still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Suntory added one at Chita last year too. Given it's four times the size of the one they have at Hakushu, and they added a grinder and cooker, my guess is they want to start making a lot of Bourbon-ish Japanese whisky. The Hakushu rye was awesome when it came out.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Suntory added one at Chita last year too. Given it's four times the size of the one they have at Hakushu, and they added a grinder and cooker, my guess is they want to start making a lot of Bourbon-ish Japanese whisky. The Hakushu rye was awesome when it came out.

That’s interesting. Where’d you learn about it? (I ask because I would like to be up to date on this kind of info on the off chance there’s something to read/follow, but I figure a lot of this level of info comes from being an industry guy who knows guys.)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For this kind of info, there's a Japanese Whisky Yearbook beginning in 2023. As you might expect from the name, it's sort of a Japan-focused version of the Malt Whisky Yearbook. Officially, there's no relation though.

The Japanese version is already out and the English version should come out within the next couple months. (disclaimer: I translated it)

For online resources. If you've googled Japanese whisky news in the past you've probably seen my site already. There's also the Japanese Whisky Information Center, unfortunately only available in Japanese, but it's a great centralized resource. And run by the same company that wrote the Yearbook, so the info is very reliable.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Should point out that it's not coffee, it's Coffey, as in the type of still used (column, as opposed to pot still).

Oops, that's just me typoing the name. Although, I will admit to buying based on being intrigued by a "coffee" whisky, and then learning about the name / stills after the fact. Cinnamon and fruit isn't what I expected, ha!

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

I've been sipping on the cheapest Kentucky whiskey I found at my state-sanctioned drinking store and its surprisingly decent. Not nearly as rotgut as I worried it might be.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Snuff Melange posted:

I've been sipping on the cheapest Kentucky whiskey I found at my state-sanctioned drinking store and its surprisingly decent. Not nearly as rotgut as I worried it might be.

I feel like it's hard to find actual rot gut on the bottom shelf anymore. Pretty much everything I've had was fine, if a little sweet or boring.

A lot of the rot gut I've found is in the $30-50 range where there's a lot of gimmicky or attention grabbing poo poo out there. The whiskey in the oil can, everything from Hudson, smaller craft places trying out alternate grains, etc. From my experience, if it comes in one of the rectangular 750ml bottles, it's a 50/50 chance it's going to be terrible.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Casu Marzu posted:

I feel like it's hard to find actual rot gut on the bottom shelf anymore. Pretty much everything I've had was fine, if a little sweet or boring.

A lot of the rot gut I've found is in the $30-50 range where there's a lot of gimmicky or attention grabbing poo poo out there. The whiskey in the oil can, everything from Hudson, smaller craft places trying out alternate grains, etc. From my experience, if it comes in one of the rectangular 750ml bottles, it's a 50/50 chance it's going to be terrible.

Yeah, most cheap straight bourbon from the big guys is at least drinkable. Gimmicks are where the real bottled piss is at.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

For this kind of info, there's a Japanese Whisky Yearbook beginning in 2023. As you might expect from the name, it's sort of a Japan-focused version of the Malt Whisky Yearbook. Officially, there's no relation though.

The Japanese version is already out and the English version should come out within the next couple months. (disclaimer: I translated it)

For online resources. If you've googled Japanese whisky news in the past you've probably seen my site already. There's also the Japanese Whisky Information Center, unfortunately only available in Japanese, but it's a great centralized resource. And run by the same company that wrote the Yearbook, so the info is very reliable.

Thanks, this is useful (even though my Japanese is not even close to up to par)!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, most cheap straight bourbon from the big guys is at least drinkable. Gimmicks are where the real bottled piss is at.

Oh my yes. I got a “Fistful of Bourbon” bottle and a “Jefferson’s Ocean” bottle as gifts and would have rather drunk Evan Williams black label. They were strictly mixing only.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Four roses yellow. Can’t beat it for the price.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

What I've learned from drinking cheap whiskies is that most of them are just bland rather than truly terrible.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
you can still find rotgut like kentucky gentleman and other bourbon/NGS blends if you look hard enough,
but yes, even regular bottom shelf "straight bourbon" has requirements that force it to have some drinkability

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

On the scotch side, Bells is still reliably vile.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Spuckuk posted:

On the scotch side, Bells is still reliably vile.

We had a whiskey tour guide in Scotland last year who spent half our bus ride just CRAPPING on Bells. Love it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Speaking of vile, I went to a small town bar in Wisconsin the other day and asked for an old fashioned.

They asked the standard, brandy or bourbon question.

Then asked if I wanted the house special old fashioned. To which I replied yes.

Turns out the house special old fashioned was cookie dough flavored whiskey, chocolate bitters, and simple syrup.

Jesus Christ was that something.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean do I want to try it? Yes. Once and exactly once. Is it an "Old Fashioned," even at a definition capacious enough to include brandy + Sprite? No.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Guess whose state liquor store finally sells Mellow Corn ... after hearing about it for years I was able to buy a bottle. Haven't cracked it open yet.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Drinking Nikka Coffey Grain on a camping trip due to recommendations from this thread and it’s spectacular. Just a great pour and a perfect straight whiskey.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe its the lower price but I really just enjoy Toki neat vs some of Nikka’s offerings

Also did grab a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and uhh there’s not much left…

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Got a bottle of WT101 12. Great drop. $54 from Amazon JP and definitely worth that price. I'll have a proper review up someday soon.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

zmcnulty posted:

Got a bottle of WT101 12. Great drop. $54 from Amazon JP and definitely worth that price. I'll have a proper review up someday soon.

This bottle goes for like 250 through domestic online retailers and is one of the best modern turkey products alongside RR13. I'd pick up 3 of them at the price you paid.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seriously. Goddamn

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Tried that Jack Daniels Bonded and wow thats good for $30

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Whenever I open a new bottle, I always force myself to wait a few minutes after I make the first pour before I sip. Doesn't seem as necessary on subsequent pours, but just letting some of those volatile flavors come off it seems to help me better appreciate a new bottle than I if I pour and sip immediately.

A few pages back, but: I've started opening bottles at least a few days (if not a week) before I actually intend to start drinking them.

I opened a bottle of Writers Tears Ice Wine Cask about a week before St. Patrick's Day (because why not?), and I found that I got a much more nuanced glass after letting it sit for a week than I did when it was originally open.

Also: I recommend the Ice Wine cask. It's the same clean and mellow copper pot flavour that Writers Tears has, but a slight sweet and fuller body. Not a bad novelty at all... even if it is $102 for a 750mL bottle.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

One sentence review: Old Grand Dad bonded tastes much, much better neat than it has any right to given that it costs less than $30 for a bottle, but its cocktail performance disappoints.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ogmius815 posted:

One sentence review: Old Grand Dad bonded tastes much, much better neat than it has any right to given that it costs less than $30 for a bottle, but its cocktail performance disappoints.

One word response: Yep.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

:hai:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
"Old Grand Dad Bonded" seems like a sick joke from a dril tweet

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

See now, the mistake you made was mixing it. :eng101:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GD_American posted:

"Old Grand Dad Bonded" seems like a sick joke from a dril tweet
its p dece tho

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

See now, the mistake you made was mixing it. :eng101:

:hai:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Any opinions on the Kirkland Canadian whiskey as a party mixer? It’s $19 for 1.75L and a bunch of online opinions say it’s comparable to crown royal

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Any opinions on the Kirkland Canadian whiskey as a party mixer? It’s $19 for 1.75L and a bunch of online opinions say it’s comparable to crown royal

No idea but Crown Royal is tasteless and bland so if that one isn't too offensive with burn or off-notes you'd be fine.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Steve Yun posted:

It's fine as a mixer. A little on the sweet side imo.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I tried Nikka Coffey Grain as my first foray into >$50 Japanese whisky and drat if it isn't great. Like a really good Irish whiskey with some bourbon sweetness and a finish that had me loving the taste of my own breath. How is the Nikka Coffey Malt?

E: I see I missed Nikka chat last page

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 17, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Haven't had Coffey Grain, but Coffey Malt was bliss to me. I know I prefer malt whiskies over grain whiskies, so I just never bothered to try Coffey Grain.

I would have no qualms with buying store-brand Crown Royal. As a Canadian, Crown Royal is a standard, but it's like soda, store-brand soda is fine.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat. My local Costco has Hibiki Harnony for $70.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I have been buying more regional whiskey here lately in East Tennessee. Some of it isn’t stellar and I just want to try it and support the local guys. However, I’m really liking the Chattanooga Whiskey offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat. My local Costco has Hibiki Harnony for $70.

I used to buy it from my local liquor shop at that price pre-covid.