Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Edge of Tomorrow is on right now. In my opinion it deserves a spot up there with Alien/s, Predator, terminator, and The Thing. It’s got a great mix of action and humor, Bill Paxton is great in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It kind of goes to poo poo in the third act where it stops being a fun time loop movie and expects us to give a gently caress about CGI landscapes and alien blobs.

Overall really good though. Blunt is great in that one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/3ZSuWd6.mp4

Good movie.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nothing, Sir. You tell me what to think

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

It kind of goes to poo poo in the third act where it stops being a fun time loop movie and expects us to give a gently caress about CGI landscapes and alien blobs.

Overall really good though. Blunt is great in that one.

This is correct. Third act malaise.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Sooz Kempner is a cool and good left-wing comedian who fights the good fight, and I only just discovered this cool and good fact about her. She's Jones' sister.

https://twitter.com/soozuk/status/1303765672539942918?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

https://twitter.com/soozuk/status/1303769359400210436?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's awesome.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
:3 That's very cute. She's got a new follower here.

I do like that Aliens has the tact to 'see off' Jones instead of having him just inexplicably disappear, or worse, get left on Acheron. I like to think that he lived a very comfortable life as Gateway Station's resident hospital cat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

:3 That's very cute. She's got a new follower here.

I do like that Aliens has the tact to 'see off' Jones instead of having him just inexplicably disappear, or worse, get left on Acheron. I like to think that he lived a very comfortable life as Gateway Station's resident hospital cat.

Well actually

https://youtu.be/20wsNqmTPxI

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lmao at Reply Guys giving poo poo to her like she's trying to claim Jones is her current cat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mind the walrus posted:

lmao at Reply Guys giving poo poo to her like she's trying to claim Jones is her current cat.

I mean it’s especially ridiculous considering Jones is my current cat :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I mean it’s especially ridiculous considering Jones is my current cat :colbert:
:hmmyes:

Just imagining a dude so angry that a lady with a genuine claim to history is making that claim, looking for any hole to poke in it. Or just being such a paste-eater that reading and processing a few extra words is just too drat much man.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wonderful.

"Right."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Unfortunately, the only way to be sure is to take off and nuke the site from orbit. Better luck next growing season.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was looking on my phone and randomly ran into this and I don't know how I acquired it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was looking on my phone and randomly ran into this and I don't know how I acquired it.

Somehow I forgot Robert Downey Jr. was in Weird Science. Also couldn't remember if he ever had scenes with Bill Paxton in the film.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This seems like a self-solving problem, somehow.

Also thanks for the story about Boris :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rappaport posted:

This seems like a self-solving problem, somehow.

Also thanks for the story about Boris :)

Yea they just fulfill their purpose then crawl off to be alone for a little bit in peaceful oblivion.

They’re not alone in their oblivion for very long, though 😇

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Crossposting here, but some people who don’t read the other thread might see this here.

There is a very nice documentary on Shudder called “Memory: The Origins of Alien” that is really good.

Like I suspect many of you have done, I’ve read probably the majority of stuff posted on the internet and in books about the genesis of this film. I have the Alien Anthology and Blu and have watched all the “making of”type stuff on there.

But this documentary manages to do another “making of” type of doc and still hits some interesting, new notes.

It’s well worth a watch.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Crosspost from the other Alien thread

Space Jam posted:

Gauging interest here. I’ve been thinking about hosting an AvP 2 multiplayer night. If you don’t have the game I could provide it… perfectly legally. I should still have both install discs in storage. Yay or Nay?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't have that one (on steam, I might in a box somewhere) but a few of us had luck playing AvP 2010 a while back.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

rip to a king and a real one :(

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Space Jam posted:

Crosspost from the other Alien thread

yeah i dont think AVP2 plays nice on modern hardware but AVP 2010 is just better anyway and does.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

yeah i dont think AVP2 plays nice on modern hardware but AVP 2010 is just better anyway and does.

Steam has AvP 2010 on sale right now for $2.99.

Hiro is not allowed any smart guns.

Or is it Splicer?

Basically no one but me can be trusted with a smart gun unless you want all of your teammates to die.

also I get very anxious and scream a lot, this game is scary

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Probably gonna play AFE tonight.

Hit me up on steam if you want to play.

edit: going now and gonna throw out random invites to whoever is listed on the in-game friend roster that's online. I don't know how it works. It'd be nice to communicate though so if you join we can figure that out. :)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 21, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Seen on r/smoking:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Android Apocalypse posted:

Seen on r/smoking:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Seen on r/smoking:

From orbit, duh...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Well first you have to grease the ratfuck sonofabitch

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

The Zombie Guy posted:

From orbit, duh...

Someone go find that thread, and if this isn't the very first response, we'll know who's the best online forum.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
But what does it taste like?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wasnt the facehugger that Bishop dissects made out of a bunch of raw oysters? It sure looks that way.

And the egg that opens up in front of Kane is full of a writhing slimy mass of what appears to be raw chicken or pork, made out to be some sort of placenta or something for the facehugger to gestate in/feed on.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

IIRC from the special features, the egg placenta was the intestinal lining of a sheep that was pulled down by a guy under the egg. The rest were organs, so if you really wanted to you could cook the egg and eat the inside.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hahaha, looking it up (yeah you're right, it was sheep and cow stomach lining) I found this:

quote:

Nick Allder, special effects supervisor, recalled: “Ridley had seen [the original Egg sculpture], and we were sitting there having this meeting and I think — I can’t remember who it was — somebody said ‘what do you think of the Egg?’ And Ridley’s exact words [were], ‘I think it’s loving obscene’; and there was this deadly hush, and everybody looked around at each other. Gordon Carroll said ‘Ridley, what do you mean by ‘the Egg looks obscene?’; [Ridley] said ‘well, it looks like some great fanny’. 

Lmao, 'fanny'.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No one played Aliens tonight. :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mister Speaker posted:

Hahaha, looking it up (yeah you're right, it was sheep and cow stomach lining) I found this:

Lmao, 'fanny'.

I don't know if you know this, but in the UK, fanny refers to the labia and vagina and other associated parts.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah I know, someone told me that one summer when we went cottaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Wow is this thread still going?

I guess Aliens must be a great film!