Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Any good resources on using reusable nappies?

We have a wee one coming in a few months and are looking to give it a go but not sure about the best place to start. We are in NZ so if anyone has any local recommendations that would also be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

kaiwero posted:

We have a wee one coming in a few months and are looking to give it a go but not sure about the best place to start. We are in NZ so if anyone has any local recommendations that would also be great.

It's been a minute since our kids were in diapers, but we used cloth for both of them (same diaper stash as well) and found it worth it. We had a bunch of different brands and styles, but gravitated towards pocket diapers with inserts from Charlie Banana and Alva. We referenced Fluff Love University a lot during our time. I'm not sure if that community is very active anymore since I left their Facebook group after our kids were potty trained. I'm in the US, so I don't have any local recos for you unfortunately.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

If you chase two rabbits you will lose them both

on the other hand, two rabbits sounds nice

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

kaiwero posted:

I'm in NZ. We currently use Kekoa premium nappies. They do the job well enough (and bonus points for some really nice Maori prints), although our daughter floods her nappies like she's a firehose so sometimes they leak. We've got a couple of the XL cores and they're better at handling the flooding but I cbf buying a whole new set of nappies. I particularly like Kekoa over other brands because they've got soft stretchy wings to fasten the domes so they're a bit more forgiving on the thighs. I also used to use Fluffy Ducks for our son but he was huge and outgrew them before he was finished with nappies. They didn't fit our daughter as well and left red lines on her thighs.

Basically from cloth nappies with two kids I've learned that different stuff suits different kids so it's worth trying a few brands. There's a fairly roaring second hand cloth nappy trade on Facebook so you can sell off the brands you don't want to stick with pretty easily. If you're in Auckland/Waikato/BOP/Wellington/Christchurch the upcoming Baby Expos will probably have a number of the more common cloth nappy brands with stalls, probably with discounts if you want to get a few samples.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 19, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Idk if it is a leap or what but my 3.5 year old is on like day 4 of being full on awake for an hour or more starting at 3:30am. Questions about random stuff, telling me about dreams or things he wants to do. Bud, I want to sleep.

I’ve finally gotten my way out of having to lay in the room with him but he still either comes into our room or calls me on 3-4 times. At least we are getting him a real bed soon so I can lay on that instead of being on the nugget with a kid sized blanket lol

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Well it's day 4 or 5 of the toddler beds for the twins and it isn't going so great. They think it's fantastic to just pop out of bed and run around and join each other in bed, play with toys, etc. Each night it's taken about 2-3 hours after we get them in bed before they finally fall asleep.

I imagine we just have to stick with it for a bit before the novelty wears off and bedtime becomes easier, but for now this has been difficult. My wife and I used to at least have an hour or two at night to hang out alone after the kids went to bed but the past few nights by the time the kids have fallen asleep we've been too tired to stay awake and do anything.

Anyone else have experience with this? How long until your kid(s) got used to the toddler bed?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
No twins, but my son took to having the toddler bed then a real bed very well. He basically stays in bed, and only just now after turning five gets up, uses the potty and goes back to bed. He's come downstairs on his own a handful of times. I don't recall doing anything specific to encourage this magical behavior.

I'm sure my daughter will be the exact opposite and as she gets bigger I'm going to be totally hosed over.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Mind_Taker posted:

Anyone else have experience with this? How long until your kid(s) got used to the toddler bed?

devmd01 posted:

That lasted all of three nights for us and we put them in separate rooms, one wouldn’t stop loving with the other one.

Separate them if you have the space and gate them in. This is just as much a sleep training thing as doing cry it out, let them play by themselves until they are tired. They need to get used to the idea that once it’s bedtime, they stay in their rooms.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Separate them if you have the space and gate them in. This is just as much a sleep training thing as doing cry it out, let them play by themselves until they are tired. They need to get used to the idea that once it’s bedtime, they stay in their rooms.

We don't have the space to separate them, unfortunately. We're looking at moving into a bigger place because they will need their own rooms soon but it's not imminent or anything.

We can put a gate up in their room but they can climb gates pretty easily now. Though perhaps just having a gate will be enough of a deterrent to stop them running in and out. Maybe we can look at getting a taller gate?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or double up if you have more than one around the house.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Uugghh, that way a kid says "I know" when they clearly didn't absorb a drat thing you just said

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mind_Taker posted:

Hey, that's me from 2 years ago. One of you needs to police that room for the next week or two. You sit in the room, and the first sign of stirring or talking you go to your kid in their bed, press them gently into the bed (engage that proprioception), whisper the same boring things: "we're staying in our beds to go to sleep," or "we're being being quiet so we can sleep." Then go back to your chair. And you do this over and over until they're asleep, and do it for a couple weeks. That worked for me.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Well the child was more interested in poking at dirt with a stick than the actual joust. However, his dad got him a toy wooden sword and I am very much questioning the wisdom of this decision 😅

“We don’t hit anything but bad guys and I’ll let you know if there’s a bad guy” is obviously very soundproof logic that a four-year-old understands. What’s that? The car window is a bad guy, you say? Oh no who could have ever seen this coming.

Highlight of the day was showing him the cool little acrobatics performer at the fair. Much to the amusement of the rest of the audience, kiddo shouted “WOW I LOVE IT” and then turned around to his dad who was standing about 20 feet away and shouted “DADDY. HEY DADDY. DO YOU LOVE IT????”

That’s the big thing now. *notices object* turns to one of us and says “HEY DO YOU LOVE [object]???” had a chuckle when he shouted DADDY DO YOU LOVE GRASS???

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our 4.5 year old daughter asked me in the car this morning about us dying. I said it would be a long time before we died but we do eventually. She was afraid of being alone once we died. I had to tell her that she would have her own family and friends that would be there for her. Not something I was expecting at 8 am.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol for my sons bedtime routine i tell him a few stories, ones he requests. tonight, for some reason, he wanted me to describe the plot of toy story... three times.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Tamarillo posted:

I'm in NZ. We currently use Kekoa premium nappies. They do the job well enough (and bonus points for some really nice Maori prints), although our daughter floods her nappies like she's a firehose so sometimes they leak. We've got a couple of the XL cores and they're better at handling the flooding but I cbf buying a whole new set of nappies. I particularly like Kekoa over other brands because they've got soft stretchy wings to fasten the domes so they're a bit more forgiving on the thighs. I also used to use Fluffy Ducks for our son but he was huge and outgrew them before he was finished with nappies. They didn't fit our daughter as well and left red lines on her thighs.

Basically from cloth nappies with two kids I've learned that different stuff suits different kids so it's worth trying a few brands. There's a fairly roaring second hand cloth nappy trade on Facebook so you can sell off the brands you don't want to stick with pretty easily. If you're in Auckland/Waikato/BOP/Wellington/Christchurch the upcoming Baby Expos will probably have a number of the more common cloth nappy brands with stalls, probably with discounts if you want to get a few samples.

Awesome thanks for that - good to know, we would have otherwise just bought one type and then given up if they hadnt had fit properly!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Brawnfire posted:

If you chase two rabbits you will lose them both

drat, that's good. I should have used that argument with my wife. I allowed her to talk me into getting pregnant for a second time. Well, we think we're pregnant, anyway, going out to buy a test later. I guess it's good we didn't get rid of that diaper changing table after all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

kaiwero posted:

We inherited a pretty big stack of cotton cloth nappies from my sister-in-law, of the "large square" kind. We used them with a PU-coated cloth shell with velcro, and we very rarely had any leakage. The brand we used probably doesn't exist in NZ I guess.

We used the "triangle" fold and found it worked well as long as you move up sizes as the baby grows. The fold is good because it allows you to stick with very simple, cheap products. Muslin nappies and three or four covers were all we needed.

We switched to mostly single-use diapers when she was starting to walk, the washing was just too much work. I doubt we'll have the energy to do this again with our second, but I'm intending to give it a shot anyway! The thing that takes energy is that you need to change them more often because they really get cranky when the diaper is wet.

Apart from saving money, one advantage is I think our daughter learned to hold her urine earlier because in cloth diapers, they can sense the wetness. The association between releasing their urine and getting wet is something some toddlers struggle with, when they only learn about it at potty training time. It may be just genetics/chance, but we found our daughter having dry diapers for a really long time quite early. She was dry overnight half of the time, at two.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 20, 2023

idgee
Feb 13, 2012

kaiwero posted:

We've got a couple of brands, Tuti's been my fave so far, with a mix of bamboo and hemp inserts.

The clean cloth nappies Facebook page is great for getting really into optimising your washing routine as well, and at least one of the admins is from NZ so there's heaps of local content.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
How afraid should I be of HFM? The baby is 10 months old, and it's been going around daycare. He's showing no signs, but my wife wants to get coverage to keep him home this week to give it time to blow over. We have some good home care benefits, so that's not a problem, although I'm not keen on the disruption to my work schedule and him missing more time in the program. But if it's a trade-off to protect our health...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HFM photos on google are generally worst case scenarios

Everyone reacts differently to it. I get tiny pinpoint blisters on my fingers (like, 3 or 4) my daughter had some (like, 10-30) really ugly blisters around her hands and mouth/nose. Some kids are just carriers it varies wildly

If a kid at daycare has it, your kid already has it too it's just a matter of time until it shows. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Why does my kid know what a kraken is?

Why does he have very strong opinions about krakens?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Why is my son wearing his backpack at the dinner table?

He's gonna try to wear it to bed again, isn't he

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dreamworks are advertising a kids movie about a kraken

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Crescent Wrench posted:

How afraid should I be of HFM? The baby is 10 months old, and it's been going around daycare. He's showing no signs, but my wife wants to get coverage to keep him home this week to give it time to blow over. We have some good home care benefits, so that's not a problem, although I'm not keen on the disruption to my work schedule and him missing more time in the program. But if it's a trade-off to protect our health...

It can be simply annoying or decently terrible but keeping someone home to avoid HFM seems like a fool’s errand because it is extremely contagious, has a few days of incubation, and you’re not unlikely to wind up getting it at some point anyway unless you just pull them out of daycare entirely.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ruby Gilman, Teenage Kraken; formerly Meet the Gillmans

Interesting I've heard nothing about this and I'm big into nautical stuff

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

Emily Spinach posted:

Edit: ^^ it 100% will.

Yeah, target carries bamba too. They also had these pouches from happy baby that were a mix of fruit purees and various nut butters (peanut, almond, cashew, and walnut) to introduce the allergens. They've been a pain to find lately though.

glad you said this, mine had 2 packs of bamba puffs left! my daughter is almost 6 months and got so excited about the little piece i gave her. its been so fun watching her get excited about food. the diapers have not been as fun.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My son got HFM and it looked horrible, he had tons of blisters on his face, mouth, hands, and butt. He acted totally fine the whole time, and my daughter and I never got it somehow?

Kids spent the night in the hospital last night after they got into their dad’s medications. Nobody ended up ingesting anything thankfully but even before we separated I was telling him he needed to be more careful where he left his pill bottles. They got into Tylenol, ibuprofen, Effexor, and adderall, which their dad pulls apart the capsules and just has bottles of those tiny beads. HOW were they unsupervised for that long?? Best part was he told me last night they went to urgent care and were being sent home, and he specifically texted that they did not get into his meds. Then this morning he made it sound like they were home (“just making breakfast”), when they were still in the hospital. Last night I had replied thanking him for telling me and for bringing the kids in because I knew he probably felt pretty bad about it, but after I read the hospital notes and found out NOT ONLY were they admitted for overnight observation, but that they had indeed gotten into his meds. I called to say I was angry that he was lying yet again about more stuff, and he started yelling and swearing at me, saying he lies because I’m always “blowing up” at him and he’s afraid of me. Like, wtf does that even mean?? Anyway sorry for the long rant. Kids are home with me and doing fine, my son has another ear infection so he’s back on antibiotics since one of his tubes plugged… and on Wednesday I get my wisdom teeth out. Their dad was supposed to take them for an extra weekend but uggghhhhhh.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

That's extra hosed for your already poo poo situation. I know you've posted before about how the legal system in your state is basically working against you, but that has to be extra fodder to show he's incapable of being a reliable father to your kids, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Koivunen posted:

which their dad pulls apart the capsules and just has bottles of those tiny beads.
What's this nonsense if not intentionally trying to get your kids to ingest them? Does he actually dose medication for himself by weight?

Are his guns locked? Because he seems like the kind of guy to both have guns in the home, and in places where kids can find them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Car chat: Anyone with a CX-9 or similar sized crossover do three car seats in the second row? How does that work for you?

Trying to figure out if three car seats in the middle row (leaving third row down) is viable or if it's definitely minivan time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

Our son had HFM, he had a bunch of spots but was otherwise normal.

My wife and I also got HFM and we were loving miserable.

That being said, if you keep your kid out of daycare every time there's some weird kid disease going around you may as well just get a nanny because they are going to be sick constantly for the next few years

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Car chat: Anyone with a CX-9 or similar sized crossover do three car seats in the second row? How does that work for you?

Trying to figure out if three car seats in the middle row (leaving third row down) is viable or if it's definitely minivan time.

Rear or front facing? That makes a huge difference.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Rear or front facing? That makes a huge difference.
One front (40+ lbs maybe I could do a more compact seat now?), one rear-facing infant carrier, and another rear facing seat that could be made front if needed.

How would you position them all?

I guess the LATCH stuff is only on the sides so middle would be tether and belt only.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

That being said, if you keep your kid out of daycare every time there's some weird kid disease going around you may as well just get a nanny because they are going to be sick constantly for the next few years

it's too bad the thread title character limit is so low because this would be a good one

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone for the scoop on HFM, I think this has given me sufficient ammo to pump the brakes on any drastic action just yet.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are his guns locked? Because he seems like the kind of guy to both have guns in the home, and in places where kids can find them.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Mr. Freebus posted:

glad you said this, mine had 2 packs of bamba puffs left! my daughter is almost 6 months and got so excited about the little piece i gave her. its been so fun watching her get excited about food. the diapers have not been as fun.

Yeah, once they're on solids the diapers basically become war crimes half the time.

On a related note, last time our toddler pooped in the tub I realized we didn't have any good way to get it out, so I ordered one of those aquarium scooper nets. I think my husband thought it was a bit silly, and she doesn't go in the tub often, but tonight I unfortunately got to try it out after having the scoop for a few months and it worked pretty well.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Shout out to my child who seems to have an ear infection or something that is causing her to wake up inconsolably sobbing repeatedly. No fever, won’t say what’s wrong, just tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

My son got HFM and it looked horrible, he had tons of blisters on his face, mouth, hands, and butt. He acted totally fine the whole time, and my daughter and I never got it somehow?

Kids spent the night in the hospital last night after they got into their dad’s medications. Nobody ended up ingesting anything thankfully but even before we separated I was telling him he needed to be more careful where he left his pill bottles. They got into Tylenol, ibuprofen, Effexor, and adderall, which their dad pulls apart the capsules and just has bottles of those tiny beads. HOW were they unsupervised for that long?? Best part was he told me last night they went to urgent care and were being sent home, and he specifically texted that they did not get into his meds. Then this morning he made it sound like they were home (“just making breakfast”), when they were still in the hospital. Last night I had replied thanking him for telling me and for bringing the kids in because I knew he probably felt pretty bad about it, but after I read the hospital notes and found out NOT ONLY were they admitted for overnight observation, but that they had indeed gotten into his meds. I called to say I was angry that he was lying yet again about more stuff, and he started yelling and swearing at me, saying he lies because I’m always “blowing up” at him and he’s afraid of me. Like, wtf does that even mean?? Anyway sorry for the long rant. Kids are home with me and doing fine, my son has another ear infection so he’s back on antibiotics since one of his tubes plugged… and on Wednesday I get my wisdom teeth out. Their dad was supposed to take them for an extra weekend but uggghhhhhh.

Omg I would have absolutely lost my poo poo. I am so sorry your ex is such butt ahhh I’m so mad for you!
Glad no one was seriously harmed though.