Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/486252/analysis-hipkins-needs-nash-for-swing-voters-at-election

another genius article from the rnz pod cast guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
left and right are not used in a useful way in most political discourse. I'd even say they're deliberately obfuscated.

but the terms do have well defined ideologies, with social and economic elements often able to be maneuvered through separately by particular parties or individuals. this is as true in nz as anywhere.

you're right not to want to fall into dem/rep style discourse when talking about nz, but i think that's a different thing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herald.... good?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
That can't be real, can it?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I choose to believe.

but sadly it is not.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It's not real, you can tell because he was always a wanker

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Greens are implying that they will support whomever has the stronger policy on climate change. Looking forward to Luxon's statement followed by a retraction in the next day or so.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
that's not what they said at all though

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

James Shaw posted:

"To any political party that wants the Green Party's support to form a government after the election, let us put it as simply as we can: The Green Party will not accept anything less than the strongest possible climate action. The stakes are too high, the consequences of failure too great."

You are right that this is addressed to Labour given they just broke their cooperation deal. Luxon will still likely get asked if a coalition with the Greens is potentially viable due to the wording. He has terrible political instincts and has repeatedly needed to walk back statements to the media.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what, labour/act coalition then?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Maybe this is a silly question but why can't a coalition hate each other guts? What if we are put into a position where the only viable govt is Nat/Green for some reason. Is that even possible? Is that why there is a 5% votes threshold to stop that scenario?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Didn't nzf and labour prove that it's eminently possible?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah this is something I argue about in the greens semi-regularly - obviously the membership would not support a Nat govt right now, but it would be a bad idea to change the party rules or whatever so that we can't ever do that in the future. We can take advantage of the membership having the final say on this kind of thing instead.

Imagine a hypothetical post-2026-election landscape where Labour collapse to 10% from some huge scandal, the Greens are sitting on 25%, National's internal disagreements blow up and the party fractures into a centrist rump National on 30% and an explicitly christofascist action zealandia party / new conservatives block on 25% - it'd absolutely make sense to work with them then.

Seems wild but on the other hand MMP in Europe does end up with chaotic scenarios sometimes - and I feel like NZ's generally gone through an unnaturally stable period as far as the political party landscape goes.

Are there any new parties popping up for 2023 yet?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
henry cooke wrote a good piece on this

https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/1635737509161213957

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klen dool posted:

Maybe this is a silly question but why can't a coalition hate each other guts? What if we are put into a position where the only viable govt is Nat/Green for some reason. Is that even possible? Is that why there is a 5% votes threshold to stop that scenario?
the 5% threshold is to undemocratically omit "minority" voices from parliament on the grounds that any kind of ideology that doesn't have a quarter of a million people interested in it isn't worth platforming politically. unless it's gifted an electorate by a political ally.

it is very possible to have a coalition that hates each other but our government is structured around being stable, ensuring you can deliver votes for your policies; something that is somewhat more difficult when the votes you're relying on want to see you suffer. a government that couldn't rely on its majority would quickly see the opposition calling for a no confidence vote.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yeah I guess I'm making up a just-so story here, in reality no coalition would be formed and I presume we'd have another election

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

doonesbury should be banned lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think thats the first time i've seen doonesbury mentioned since, idk, 2003?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gee i wonder what frasier is up to these days!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

gee i wonder what frasier is up to these days!!!

He recently won a best actor Oscar for his performance in The Whale

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

Yeah I guess I'm making up a just-so story here, in reality no coalition would be formed and I presume we'd have another election

Several of the coalitions that NZF has been part of over the years are examples of coalitions who hate each other. Helen Clark hated Winston ever since he picked Bolger over her in 1996, yet they were in coalition 9 years later. Winston and the Greens hate each other's guts, but worked together in 2017.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the greens haven't been in coalition :smuggo:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hence:

bike tory posted:

worked together

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

exmarx posted:

the greens haven't been in coalition :smuggo:

a distinction that only matters to political brains

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/lobbying/486312/lobbying-firms-earning-hundreds-of-thousands-from-contracts-with-government-agencies

ban this sick filth

i want a return of off the cuff hip shooting lip service, not this finely curated sock puppetry. if i wanted to see someone get fisted i'd go see someone get fisted

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Really can't see the Māori party going into "partnership" with national. That's a pretty reasonable take isn't it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me... can't get fooled again.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Te Paati Māori of 2023 is very different to the Māori Party of 2008, and I'd be very surprised if they did go into coalition with National.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

please don't do that again

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I read that someone had identified her and it's more of less what you think. She was at the parliament protest too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

please don't do that again

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Fun fact: I did gymnastics as a kid in that hall.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 21, 2023

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

And now there are a lot of adults doing mental gymnastics in that hall. Really makes you think.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Auckland Council has okayed that TERF speaker's event this Saturday at Albert Park, so counter protest is on for any/all Auckland goons who can make it. 11am at the band rotunda.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks Wayne

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Auckland Council has okayed that TERF speaker's event this Saturday at Albert Park, so counter protest is on for any/all Auckland goons who can make it. 11am at the band rotunda.

Love having to spend part of my weekend defending my right to exist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I thought they were looking at denying her entry to the country anyway? And since she effectively threatened the PM I can't think they'd look too favorably on her...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought they were looking at denying her entry to the country anyway? And since she effectively threatened the PM I can't think they'd look too favorably on her...

Rainbow Greens have been trying to get her nzeta revoked for two and a half weeks with literally nothing happening about it until this week after her event in Melbourne got outright nazis turning up. So if they are going to revoke it they are taking their sweet loving time with it.

Plus it sounds like even if she can't enter the country terfs and other alt right types plan on turning up anyway now.