Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ihmemies posted:

I noticed that SEVERANCE - BLADE OF DARKNESS got a patch. A patch in 2023, to a game released in 2001 :monocle:

I got my barb to level 16... works fine at 4K, didn't encounter any bugs. The game didn't look as bad as I remembered. Would be a GREAT game to implement RTX and higher resolution "horizon" textures, drat this would rule so much... one can dream. HIGHLY recommended for friends of hack & slash :black101: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1710170/Blade_of_Darkness/

Edit: I wish I could be tough enough for this achievement.. "Express Darkness: Complete the game in one run, in 8 hours or less without using saves a single time"
Wonderful game. Wish the same team would make something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Velocity Raptor posted:

Recommendation, if you're thinking on bumping it up to Gravewalker, just do Brutal difficulty instead. Gravewalker greatly increases the enemy health and damage, but leaves yours the same, making the game very tedious.

If you up it to Brutal, the enemies are buffed like in Gravewalker, but your damage is increased comparably, making fights difficult, but not tedious. I really enjoy playing at that difficulty as you really need to take advantage of your allies strengths, and exploit your enemies' weaknesses. It really feels like you're plotting against every oruk that you need to take down, since they'll have many strengths and very few weaknesses (with only one if any mortal weakness). You'll still die in two hits, so you'll experience the nemesis system in all it's glory, but you'll feel badass when you form a plan to take down a bastard that had been hounding you, and it just works.

E: as an aside, you don't have to restart the game (unless you want to) - you can change the difficulty at any time in the options menu.
I was making the game very difficult for myself because I somehow forgot one or two moves that would have really made the game easier and less of a slog. I turned down the difficulty to the easiest during that Nemesis fight since I died almost immediately. I made him too good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
First ~5 hours of Yakuza games tend to be extremely cutscene heavy. Pacing usually gets better once the tutorials are over.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Without 5 hours of cutscenes at the start you'll never have context for why Kiryu has to punch a tiger

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kazil posted:

Without 5 hours of cutscenes at the start you'll never have context for why Kiryu has to punch a tiger

I firmly believe he would only do that if the tiger deserved it, or else had to be rendered unconscious because it's afraid of flying or something

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yakuza cutscenes are part of why the series is great imo

Get fuckin hyped when the shirts start flying off, exposing their tattoos

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Man, I was not expecting to bounce off Lingo hard, but here we are. I prefer something with more structure and I can't stand the Antichamber spacial fuckery. The actual puzzle logic is also way too arbitrary and abstract for me.

I might not have hit the refund button immediately if there were adequate hint/walkthrough/etc. resources out there, but nah like 20 people have played this thing, there's no help to be found past the absolute basics.
Absolutely the teleporting is the worst aspect of it. I love the game but the teleporting should’ve just been restricted to the paintings where it basically functions as fast travel. Maybe the dude can add a map button to the game before working on Level 3.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

this is the one bad thing about like a dragon: ishin

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Truly the dopest part especially since the tattoos relate to the character. Still waiting for a Yakuza with a mean-rear end Daruma back tat, I don't think they've used that yet

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Velocity Raptor posted:

Recommendation, if you're thinking on bumping it up to Gravewalker, just do Brutal difficulty instead. Gravewalker greatly increases the enemy health and damage, but leaves yours the same, making the game very tedious.

If you up it to Brutal, the enemies are buffed like in Gravewalker, but your damage is increased comparably, making fights difficult, but not tedious. I really enjoy playing at that difficulty as you really need to take advantage of your allies strengths, and exploit your enemies' weaknesses. It really feels like you're plotting against every oruk that you need to take down, since they'll have many strengths and very few weaknesses (with only one if any mortal weakness). You'll still die in two hits, so you'll experience the nemesis system in all it's glory, but you'll feel badass when you form a plan to take down a bastard that had been hounding you, and it just works.

E: as an aside, you don't have to restart the game (unless you want to) - you can change the difficulty at any time in the options menu.

Would Brutal be an okay difficulty to play the first time through for someone who finished Shadow of Mordor? (I can't recall the difficulty.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can change difficulty on the fly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For what it's worth Yakuza 0 and LAD/7 have the longest and slowest openings but it might not be a good match if your ideal cutscene:gameplay ratio is, like, Dark Souls.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Honestly, I prefer no cutscenes, but I'll watch them if they're done well and the game's fun. LaD was feeling like I was just watching a movie and getting interrupted every now and then to fight or buy a snack or something. I know a lot of games are heavily frontloaded with exposition, so the first few hours will be particularly bad, so I don't know how the rest of the game is.

I picked up Death Stranding on EGS when it was free that day. It could have been because I'd gotten really high when I tried it, but I remember the cutscenes were pretty frequent, but long enough that when they end and I was given control of my character again, it was a bit of a shock because I'd kind of forgotten I was playing a game. I'll give that one another shot, though, I really liked what I saw.

I was even enjoying the cutscenes in LaD. They had actual good writing, humor, and acting (once I turned the Japanese audio on, anyway. Don't know why that wasn't the default), I'd just have preferred to play the game for longer periods in between, I guess.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Would Brutal be an okay difficulty to play the first time through for someone who finished Shadow of Mordor? (I can't recall the difficulty.)

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can change difficulty on the fly.

^^ this, really. I'd say read the descriptions and pick the one that sounds like would gel with you best, and adjust easier or harder if you're not happy with the current setting.

Having experience with the first game will definitely help you with the harder difficulties.

I found when playing on Normal difficulty, I didn't really have to pay attention to the strengths and weaknesses of who I was targeting, and fighting an unidentified boss wasn't a big deal. Never tried the Nemesis difficulty, so I can't comment on how that is compared to Normal or Brutal.

Brutal difficulty is a very lethal difficulty for both you and the enemy. You can take down bosses in general melee relatively quickly, but you only take two hits before you're downed, and if you complete the second wind thingy, you will be downed again in one more hit from any uruk, from leader to slave. It does lead to some fun personal stories, though, since if you're killed by a slave, they will be absolutely dumbfounded that they killed you. Alternatively, I've had instances where I've escaped being downed and ran away only to be ambushed by another boss, knocked down, and then hit when I tried to get up and roll away. The Uruk looked at me close to my face and went, "Nah, not like this. That was pathetic." He then threw me down and walked away granting me "Humiliation" defeat. But you will die a lot, which is great for seeing the Nemesis System's full potential.

You'll definitely want to pay attention to what skills are available to you and switch out the sub skills as needed to fit what you're doing. It really is a difficulty that rewards using all the tools at your disposal, and encouraged me to do things I never did in SoM, such as walking around with a body guard. I also found myself sending my allies on missions constantly, especially if I was looking to kill or recruit a boss.

Be aware, though, that you don't get the ability to control Uruks until the second act, your options for personal protection get limited. Don't be afraid of dropping the difficulty if needed to get through some of the story beats. Sometimes you just get a bad roll. During one of the missions at the end of act one, where you have to fight through a gate, a boss spawned that I needed to defeat as a mission objective, and there was a drake flying around. This is all scripted for the mission. What made it pretty much unwinnable for me is that the boss was a shield bearer, had the rage healing passive, with extra health, and a "death defying" strength. And because it was a story mission, it just kept on restarting me there, so I couldn't get better gear, or otherwise better prepare. So I just lowered the difficulty to easy (I'm not ashamed, I just wanted to be done with that mission), finished it, and put it right back to Brutal.

tl;dr: Personally, I would recommend anyone try Brutal if they enjoyed SoM and want a challenge that will require them to use all the tools at their disposal, and to adjust the difficulty if needed. Stay away from Gravewalker, though. That poo poo is just tedious.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Was looking to see if I could get some quick impressions on games I was thinking of snatching up during this sale.

One I was looking at was Gedonia which has reached 1.0 but is still getting post-content: any opinions on whether I could keep waiting for further development, or if it's ready to go in now? If it's good to go now, I was curious if there a certain type of build that is best-suited for the game, unless everything really is well-balanced. To clarify, I'm not looking for the most powerful or efficient build that makes the game easy, just one that feels like the game gave the most obvious design focus or depth to (like how Tyranny's magic system is so intricate you'd feel foolish missing out on it by going for simple melee), or a build you can't get in any other game (like how Mesmer is very unique for Guild Wars compared to more standard RPG classes).

Another I was looking at was Warhammer 40k Darktide: from my understanding despite it being out it's still essentially in early access so I think I should wait, but I do really love Vermintide 2 and my brief demo experience with the game so am hankering to get in if recent patches have made it ready.

I already got impressions on Blade of Darkness earlier in the thread: I remember playing a demo for this way back in the day and being blown away, so I'm relishing the chance to finally get to actually play it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Velocity Raptor posted:

Good information

Thanks for that, it's very informative and helpful. I bought Shadow of War a while ago when it was on a good sale, but I haven't finished at least one of the extra campaigns for the original game, so at the very least I should get back into that to remind myself of approximately how it plays.

I didn't really rely on branding to make bodyguards and such before, and I think my playstyle was largely a little too mobile for that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FutureCop posted:

Was looking to see if I could get some quick impressions on games I was thinking of snatching up during this sale.

One I was looking at was Gedonia which has reached 1.0 but is still getting post-content: any opinions on whether I could keep waiting for further development, or if it's ready to go in now? If it's good to go now, I was curious if there a certain type of build that is best-suited for the game, unless everything really is well-balanced. To clarify, I'm not looking for the most powerful or efficient build that makes the game easy, just one that feels like the game gave the most obvious design focus or depth to (like how Tyranny's magic system is so intricate you'd feel foolish missing out on it by going for simple melee), or a build you can't get in any other game (like how Mesmer is very unique for Guild Wars compared to more standard RPG classes).

It's about as done as it's ever going to be, in terms of polish and basic gameplay. The stuff that's being added is just like new areas to explore and new skill trees, nothing big and fundamental. If it looks interesting to you, go for it.

I had a lot of fun with a strength build, with two-handed weapons. Maxing out either strength or agility is nice because it makes the platforming easier, which makes exploration more fun. Even if you have zero intelligence, you can still use blood magic, which uses your own HP instead of MP.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huh, i got a card drop after 28 minutes of game time. i thought the rule was if you have refunded a game before cards only drop after 2 hours.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Awesome! posted:

huh, i got a card drop after 28 minutes of game time. i thought the rule was if you have refunded a game before cards only drop after 2 hours.
It was. Weird if it changed but great if it did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, Severance: Blade of Darkness... that takes me back :allears:

I lost count of how many times I restarted that game, you got multiple characters to choose from and (from memory) anything you could pick up you could use as a weapon. It ruled.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

House Flipper is so zen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Returning to Wolcen to check out its endgame update - they reset my online character to level 40 and since I forgot how to play it anyway I decided to restart. Found the game is actually 300% less janky in every single way if I simply chose not to play online, which is nice but also raises questions as to why my online latency delays cutscenes starting until after the level has rendered onscreen.

The stat tree is still really boring - the usual +2 or +5% with a handful of nodes that may grant something as drastic as +75% Dodge if you just got hit. The skill system is okay but overwhelmingly filled with "options" such as +10% Damage or -10% Resource Cost. My favourite activity in this kind of game is putting points in things, so I'm hugely disappointed here that my points feel very arbitrary. It does seem as if they've drastically reduced the sponginess of bosses though, which is nice.

I am enjoying the story the second time through. I feel like they may have reworked the earlier portions of it because I didn't remember most of it. It's still dumb (in a good way) and the MC is a classic mid-10s bro-sass protagonist. It is however hard to empathise with someone whose dad says "hey, don't loving look for your sister or I will end you" and then when the squad shows up to end you while you're in the middle of looking for your sister he's all like "I can't believe dad would do this, there has to be someone else behind it". He loving told you he'd literally kill you if you did this, in person, to your face.

Loot is okay. It comes in all the classic colours.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

House Flipper is so zen

It is marvellous. For similar janky chore-sim stuff I recommend Powerwash Simulator (actually not that janky) and Train Station Renovation (janky). Hotel Renovator is too new to say but looks amazing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have powerwash and I get a bit of some RSI when playing, but it plays on the steam deck just fine. Haven't tried house flipper on it yet

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

man Steam sure has russian stuff and just russian stuff in the points shop after some digging
https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/c/home/cluster/7
if that works
one stand with ukraine
no America

how big is Steam in Russia?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

might just be the putin stuffs from just some low budget russian dance game
and yeah looks like nothing but I do wonder how big Steam is in Russia vs Europe in general

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Returning to Wolcen to check out its endgame update - they reset my online character to level 40 and since I forgot how to play it anyway I decided to restart. Found the game is actually 300% less janky in every single way if I simply chose not to play online, which is nice but also raises questions as to why my online latency delays cutscenes starting until after the level has rendered onscreen.

The stat tree is still really boring - the usual +2 or +5% with a handful of nodes that may grant something as drastic as +75% Dodge if you just got hit. The skill system is okay but overwhelmingly filled with "options" such as +10% Damage or -10% Resource Cost. My favourite activity in this kind of game is putting points in things, so I'm hugely disappointed here that my points feel very arbitrary. It does seem as if they've drastically reduced the sponginess of bosses though, which is nice.

I am enjoying the story the second time through. I feel like they may have reworked the earlier portions of it because I didn't remember most of it. It's still dumb (in a good way) and the MC is a classic mid-10s bro-sass protagonist. It is however hard to empathise with someone whose dad says "hey, don't loving look for your sister or I will end you" and then when the squad shows up to end you while you're in the middle of looking for your sister he's all like "I can't believe dad would do this, there has to be someone else behind it". He loving told you he'd literally kill you if you did this, in person, to your face.

How does the combat feel? I was looking for a decent Diablo-ish game to play on the deck and it looks like it has controller input. Reviews are pretty negative but maybe that's the offline vs online thing.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I was a bit curious about Wolcen combat as well, and I'd be looking to get it for just offline as well: I feel like I heard it leaned more towards active combat, such as actively dodging/blocking damage instead of handling it old-school style through passive chance or facetanking/chugging potions, but I'm wondering if I'm mistaken.

Speaking of combat feel, I'm trying out Gedonia and this...this is a level of jank beyond what I'm usually dealing with. I thought this would be Elex tier or so, but it's feeling even below that. You all are braver explorers of jank than I give you credit for and I might've found my limit: I'll give it a bit more, but this might be ripe for refunding...

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 21, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i'm in act2 now but I think I may restart the game on Gravewalker (edit: or maybe Brutal?) instead of Nemesis. I'm doing too well and that isn't making for any fun stories like this so far

Nemesis is a bit too easy if you're already familiar with Shadow of Mordor, yeah.

Like someone else recommended, switch to Brutal instead.
Brutal just makes combat more lethal while Gravewalker alters a bunch of other aspects of the game to make it absolutely masochistic (which is still great fun on subsequent playthroughs).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've been cruising through Shadows but I just got to that "bridge with a drake" mission which is I presume at the end of the first but (which is possibly the longest extended tutorial in the world?) and yeah it's kicking my rear end lol

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have powerwash and I get a bit of some RSI when playing, but it plays on the steam deck just fine. Haven't tried house flipper on it yet

I can't play powerwash with mouse/kb for that reason, but am also certain the many hours I put into it is what killed my old xbone controller with stick drift. I got an 8bitdo ultimate for christmas that I absolutely love and don't want to gently caress it up so I haven't gone back, even though hall effect sticks are supposed to be resistant to that kind of damage :ohdear:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

I've been cruising through Shadows but I just got to that "bridge with a drake" mission which is I presume at the end of the first but (which is possibly the longest extended tutorial in the world?) and yeah it's kicking my rear end lol

Note that you only need to survive there.

Also you're less that half-way through the tutorial.
Shadow of Mordor was like 80% tutorial and then you got to use your full suite of powers once and the game was over.
Shadow of War also spends a lot of time teaching you all the mechanics but it has a ton of content after that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

How does the combat feel? I was looking for a decent Diablo-ish game to play on the deck and it looks like it has controller input. Reviews are pretty negative but maybe that's the offline vs online thing.
at my default ping of 300 it's absolute dogshit. complete garbage. i levelled to 60 in world of warcraft on a 950 ping and it was a more enjoyable experience. offline it's pretty decent - it has an active dodge system that works in well with its heavy use of attack telegraphing, it has an interesting pull/push resource mechanic that would be really engaging if the left-mouse button wasn't locked to being a basic resource generating attack dictated by the weapon you're holding. it never achieves the weightiness of a diablo 3 but it has acceptable levels of ragdoll. so far i have no major feelings on the combat other than when you deal enough damage a little shield icon above the enemy pops and they get stunned for a short while, mostly bosses and mid-bosses, and while that's a pretty cool mechanic i was planning on dealing all that damage to begin with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Announced earlier today: The 2010 award-winning indie be-poor-and-miserable sim Cart Life, which was pulled from Steam in 2014 for various reasons ranging from technical to personal, is being bought back later this year by the original developer backed by a small team of Telltale veterans, with a new engine and additional content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-r3Gm7bkk4

quote:

How will the new version of Cart Life be different from the original?

It’s better to ask how the new version will be the same, because the overall experience will be very close to the original. The graphics, story, and premise are more or less untouched. If they have been touched, it’s to improve on something that Richard was unsatisfied with in the original.

Under the hood, though, a lot is different. One big change is that the game has been moved from the freeware Adventure Game Studio engine to Unity. This gives us a lot more flexibility to fix certain issues from the original game, and it enables us to release Cart Life on consoles as well as PC. We’re also tweaking the controls, so gameplay that previously required keyboard input will work on consoles.

Some new content is being added to ensure that each of the playable characters has a proper ending to their story. The order in which you choose to play the three characters’ stories will matter in the new version, too, with each protagonist’s playthrough affecting the other playable characters in subtle ways. A lot of the new content is stuff Richard always wanted in the game, but he was unable to include originally.
Not really my jam, but I'm 100% sure it's somebody here's catnip so I'd be amiss not to share it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

Note that you only need to survive there.

reAlso you're less that half-way through the tutorial.
Shadow of Mordor was like 80% tutorial and then you got to use your full suite of powers once and the game was over.
Shadow of War also spends a lot of time teaching you all the mechanics but it has a ton of content after that.

No you fail if all the Gondorians die, I learned that when I tried to be a coward and let the timer run out. But yeah as always complaining about it was the trick and now I'm in the first "real" zone. Definitely having a lot of fun with the game, it's a weird one -- it's like the most generic "travel around the map picking up collectibles" thing on the surface layered with this very complex nemesis system that clearly had a ton of love and effort put into it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just played a couple of demos tonight:

Butcher ($2)
(Time spent: 8 minutes)

It's not easy to pull off the feeling of a high-paced retro FPS in a 2D pixel setting, but Butcher pulls it off easily, with a sharp pedigree that combines the developers of Soldat with the (future) developers of Carrion. It's quick and punchy, it feels good to blast dudes away, and it's got an aesthetic that feels like Abuse Dot Com meets Lode Runner. The demo only had the tutorial levels, but it already was good fun. This is definitely one I'm going to get in the sale.

Demons of Asteborg ($7)
(Time spent: 20 minutes)

There are still developers out there making games for old systems, and Demons of Asteborg is one such game-- an action platformer for the Genesis released in 2021 by Neofid, with excellent music, solid visuals and decent-enough gameplay that at least is no better or worse than the average Genesis action game of the time. The game on Steam is pretty much just a ROM in an emulator, which, fine whatever. It's inoffensive and doesn't get in the way at least. The game has a sword & sorcery type setting and you slash up zombos and demons while also using magic spells to deal ranged damage as well as cut ropes. You have a wall jump as well and it seems like the game might expand your abilities/spells over time.

I wouldn't say this is a great modern game to hold up against what comes out on PC/console in the year 2021+ and onward, but if your baseline here is "I want to play a fun Genesis game", I think this one has potential. Not sure if I'm going to buy it myself, though.

Everblade ($11.24)
(Time spent: 30 minutes)

While it looks cool, I get why the game has a mixed rating. I do like the open map with the many secret destructible walls, that's neat... I don't, though, love the short range of your sword. The music is pretty mid. And the last boss of the demo level felt impossible to beat with my puny range and the fact that my arrows didn't work against it. Not sure what the dev strategy there is, but I couldn't figure it out. Needs some rebalancing or something.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FutureCop posted:

I was a bit curious about Wolcen combat as well, and I'd be looking to get it for just offline as well: I feel like I heard it leaned more towards active combat, such as actively dodging/blocking damage instead of handling it old-school style through passive chance or facetanking/chugging potions, but I'm wondering if I'm mistaken.

Speaking of combat feel, I'm trying out Gedonia and this...this is a level of jank beyond what I'm usually dealing with. I thought this would be Elex tier or so, but it's feeling even below that. You all are braver explorers of jank than I give you credit for and I might've found my limit: I'll give it a bit more, but this might be ripe for refunding...

Keep at it. I certainly had a wonderful time with Gedonia, even if the combat is janky (well the game is in general). It does require a bit of jank tolerance but it's a very charming game.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Adding to what Ghostlight said, as I've also been trying out the game after a long pause, my experience has been overall positive. The team kept working on it after launch and it shows. The worst bugs seem to have been squashed, although there are some which have been introduced along the latest big update, but if their Discord communications are to be believed those are being dealt with ASAP.

The game has always felt very impactful to me. That's one of the things they got right even at launch. In fact to me its much better at delivering a visceral punchy feel than Diablo 3, which I've always felt was smooth, but oddly "detached." I can't come up with a better word for it. The Blizzard polish was there, but something else was missing.

I agree with Ghostlight in that the skill tree could be better, but it helps that you can mix and match the nodes for your melee, ranged or magic character. Making hybrids is actually doable. The fact that you can rotate each tier-circle makes it easier to formulate a build, adding different defensive, offensive and utility mechanics.

My online experience has been seamless, with around 39ms line to the Frankfurt server whenever I played. I've had no lost progression, or lag spikes, even when playing in the same session with a friend (he was hosting). So I guess your mileage may vary, but at least you can go into the settings and try out different servers.

Wolcen is far from perfect, but right now it's good value for money, despite a very rocky initial release.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ymgve posted:

Every single one of those those 20 people are in the game's Discord, so you can go there to ask if you're stuck. Here's the link: https://discord.gg/USa9sx7b

Yyyeah I'm literally never going to join a game Discord in this sort of situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Returning to Wolcen ...

I really don't understand who are these companies who set out to make an ARPG and then implement the most absolute boring poo poo imaginable like that. I remember wanting to check out Wolcen but yea just heard such negative things I never pulled the trigger on it.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Last Epoch just had its multiplayer update come out :toot: Still early access, but closing in on its v1.0 release "soon" now that v0.9 added a bunch of technical, behind-the-scenes update along with mp a week or two ago. I can't recommend it enough to Diablo fans. And speaking of Diablo, D4 has an open beta this coming weekend :shrug: My expectations are underground, but the D4 thread has been mostly positive from what I could tell skimming it from last weekend's psuedo open beta.

Steam says LE has 'partial controller support' though so I'm not sure how good it is, but I imagine someone in the LE thread could tell you.

FutureCop posted:

Gedona is undeniably janky as all hell, but as a solo-dev project you can just tell there's tons of love put into the game. And either that's enough for you or it isn't, but I wouldn't fault anyone for saying, "Yea, no.". I just really loved all the options for builds due to its classless system. Kinda feels like Skyrim meets Runescape or something.