Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

domhal posted:

BSc Interior Design (Dunelm)
Yeah I had a bit of a eureka moment reading that wiki page, thinking I'd finally discovered the inscrutable reason for that store's name. But the wiki page for the actual store says it started in Leicester so I still don't know what the gently caress

e:

TACD fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still not sure why the Latin for Leics is Leicestriensis and not Corieltauvum but post-Medieval Latin I guess.

Drone_Fragger posted:

If he actually ended up with a genuine post in government he'd be fired in like a month because he wouldn't do any work and would just turn up in the commons to waffle about how Romanians are eating the kings swans or whatever.
I'd love to believe that so, but

(dog tax)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

It never can get done enough to satisfy him. No matter how far it goes, the grift ends unless he keeps going further.
He could sever all ties with the EU and they'd still be 'the enemy' because they're leveraging their economic advantage over us and not letting Britane be great. You're right in that there is literally no point at which the grift can be over.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

presumably unqualified in that you can't be a king and a good boy good boy yes you are good boy

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Couple vaguely unrelated thoughts:

Wife & I just had the privilege of a 48 visit to Stockholm to see The Midnight (awesome show btw). Whole time we were there we kept remarking on how spotless the city seemed. Everyone seemed confident, well put-together, pleasant in their general manner, all willing to point us in the right direction when we got lost. We'd heard tales of how crushingly expensive it was there, but either we weren't tapping out properly or public transit was cheaper than here, food was about the same price, alcohol about the same. Hotel was v expensive & of course we don't know about rent etc. Anyway: what a stark difference, between the gorgeous, clean and calm train from the central station to the airport, to the train from Gatwick to London Bridge. Train schedule all hosed up. When train arrived, completely packed. And while on the train, four separate times we had people down in their luck coming round & begging, so they could afford a night in a hostel. Made me think a couple things:

- Begging must be so much harder now that we're essentially cashless
- Not to second-guess: they all mentioned they needed to raise £20 to spend a night at St. Mungo's: is that right, that we charge people to stay in our homeless shelters? If so, that's insane.
- Putting aside the obvious fact that these poor people have had their humanity stripped away by our heartless & foolish leaders, who couldn't care less about them personally: if I was a business owner, I know which country I would rather open a branch office in. Sweden felt like a country on the move, lots of clear investment in infrastructure and public works, whereas England feels like it's falling apart at the seams.

We were in a very touristy part of their capital city so maybe we saw it with blinders on. But having lived in London for the past 12 years it was certainly eye-opening.

Unrelated: it pisses me off so much to see Boris Johnson constantly claiming he's somehow the hero of Ukraine, while up until this war he was a shameless Russophile & Putin apologist. There are countless articles like https://news.sky.com/story/johnson-accused-of-being-putin-apologist-10275259 where either Boris is blaming the EU for meddling in Russian affairs, or Putin is saying that even though he doesn't want to meddle in other nations affairs, Brexit is the will of the people and needs to be enacted immediately to halt the growth of the evil EU. And of course, none of these articles get brought up, it's all just breathless "Boris visits Kyiv with the toughest words for Putin yet!" It's clear there's a "we don't talk about Brexit" blanket ban in our media, and it's as infuriating as it is pathetic.

And finally: just checking if everyone has this: if I'm holding a drink and someone bumps my elbow lightly when they walk past, I immediately jolt & spill the drink everywhere like a startled character on Are You Being Served. Is this just a fact of having a funny bone? Or should I be holding my drink differently? Know it's a daft question, but I'm sick of losing 1/4 of my drink every time someone walks past!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My train was cancelled, so I'm having a quick look through the first part of Baroness Casey's Review.
Interesting to note that she explicitly calls out Austerity for impacting on the operational effectiveness of the Met and its ability to have ties to local communities.
I'm sure that point will come up in the rounds of interviews today.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Re: hostels - it looks like you do have to pay to stay in a hostel, but not a night shelter.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I wonder if Kieth is going to have some Very Solemn Words about the report into the met that came out last night

https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/1638080442195746816?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
"ACAB!"

Now now don't be ridiculous, that's an awful statement to make

"Ok fine, 'the Met is institutionally racist, sexist and homophobic' "

Yeah that's better.

I'm glad we have a report to confirm the stuff I feel like we've had confirmed a thousand times already maybe this one will actually makenq difference.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Drone_Fragger posted:

If he actually ended up with a genuine post in government he'd be fired in like a month because he wouldn't do any work and would just turn up in the commons to waffle about how Romanians are eating the kings swans or whatever.

It’s working fine for Jacob Rees-Mogg, you just have to look like a non-posh persons idea of what a posh person looks like while you do it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

"ACAB!"

Now now don't be ridiculous, that's an awful statement to make

"Ok fine, 'the Met is institutionally racist, sexist and homophobic' "

Yeah that's better.

I'm glad we have a report to confirm the stuff I feel like we've had confirmed a thousand times already maybe this one will actually makenq difference.
I doubt it. The Daniel Morgan inquiry was equally damning of the Met and nothing changed there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Met is institutionally just a few bad apples

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I wonder if Kieth is going to have some Very Solemn Words about the report into the met that came out last night

https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/1638080442195746816?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1638080729706790914?t=I8xEVNQMs585vHEw8XFKrg&s=19

This all started exactly on the morning after the 2010 election. Don't @ me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

The Met is institutionally just a few bad apples

The Met will be boys.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

tough but essential reading makes it sound like it’s an a level coursework book

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I didn't even read the book (To Kill a Mockingbird) for my GCSE English Literature exam, just watched the film. And got an A*.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I didn't even read the book (To Kill a Mockingbird) for my GCSE English Literature exam, just watched the film. And got an A*.

I was like that with Macbeth (O-level English Lit).
We had a class visit to see the 1971 film (did my Eng Lit O-level in 1975) which was pretty true to the Shakespeare text. Mind you, the bit where the kid (played by Keith Chegwin! IIRC) says "Mummy, he killed me" we all burst out laughing. Cruelty of the teens.

Went to check it and got this: "This video has been removed for violating YouTube's policy on violent or graphic content"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDS3GMRpzI

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 21, 2023

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Mourning Due posted:

Wife & I just had the privilege of a 48 visit to Stockholm to see The Midnight (awesome show btw). Whole time we were there we kept remarking on how spotless the city seemed. Everyone seemed confident, well put-together, pleasant in their general manner, all willing to point us in the right direction when we got lost. We'd heard tales of how crushingly expensive it was there, but either we weren't tapping out properly or public transit was cheaper than here, food was about the same price, alcohol about the same. Hotel was v expensive & of course we don't know about rent etc. Anyway: what a stark difference, between the gorgeous, clean and calm train from the central station to the airport, to the train from Gatwick to London Bridge. Train schedule all hosed up. When train arrived, completely packed. And while on the train, four separate times we had people down in their luck coming round & begging, so they could afford a night in a hostel. Made me think a couple things:

- Not to second-guess: they all mentioned they needed to raise £20 to spend a night at St. Mungo's: is that right, that we charge people to stay in our homeless shelters? If so, that's insane.
- Putting aside the obvious fact that these poor people have had their humanity stripped away by our heartless & foolish leaders, who couldn't care less about them personally: if I was a business owner, I know which country I would rather open a branch office in. Sweden felt like a country on the move, lots of clear investment in infrastructure and public works, whereas England feels like it's falling apart at the seams.

We were in a very touristy part of their capital city so maybe we saw it with blinders on. But having lived in London for the past 12 years it was certainly eye-opening.

You’ve posted what I was thinking after a weekend in Madrid. Coming back to the UK:
- Massive queue for the passport gates which were working very slowly and with barely any staff around to help
- massive queue in the pissing down rain for the bus from the airport, with the bus driver yelling at people because they put luggage in the wrong place
-screens on the bus weren’t working so nobody knew where to get off
- somehow my mobile internet is slower in the UK than it was abroad
- everything is dirty

It’s just so…unwelcoming.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pay no regard to whoever it was that decided that the killers of Ian Tomlinson and Jean Charles de Menezes should face no prosecution. I'm sure their name is lost to the sands of time by now, long retired and of no further relevance.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Surely there must be a law in the English courts against this sort of thing!?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Why is this country obsessed with the most vile, shittiest chocolate item you can possibly get?

Wait, don't answer that - it's Britain.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So just tea with loving loads of sugar in it?

I can think of nothing more disgusting. Spoken as a true lover of creme eggs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

You’ve posted what I was thinking after a weekend in Madrid. Coming back to the UK:
- Massive queue for the passport gates which were working very slowly and with barely any staff around to help
- massive queue in the pissing down rain for the bus from the airport, with the bus driver yelling at people because they put luggage in the wrong place
-screens on the bus weren’t working so nobody knew where to get off
- somehow my mobile internet is slower in the UK than it was abroad
- everything is dirty

It’s just so…unwelcoming.

Had the same coming back from Amsterdam and Cartegena last year. My bud went to Poland earlier this year and said the exact same thing.

When you're living and working here it's easy to forget just how shabby this country is in every single way, whether politically, economically, in terms of pay, service, housing, infrastructure, socially, morally, ethically, intellectually. Or rather, it's easy to forget that things could be any different than they are, and that in an awful lot of other places they are different

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This country is devoid of anything positive OP.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Amazing scenes

https://twitter.com/seanchuckle/status/1638133900122677250?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1637816613427634178

I'm genuinely worried about Reform now it's in Tice's hands, as he's someone who has the money and connections to do some real harm. Getting Farage back onboard is going to win back a lot of gammon votes, but he also almost definitely has access to Hancock's WhatsApp message archive through his partner, which is a literal MyCrimes.txt implicating everyone in power. It wouldn't be hard to blackmail Tory candidates to step aside, or just release weaponised messages from the WhatsApp archive at the right time through his media connections.

If the Telegraph starts backing Reform, then Tice might be our next dictator, I mean stranger things have happened, and I don't trust the voters anymore.

I am not sure if it would end up being hilarious or everything you fear but I do wonder if Reform UK are preparing to welcome defectors if partygate goes badly for Alexander.

Jel Shaker posted:

tough but essential reading makes it sound like it’s an a level coursework book

Setting A-Level course work more Keith's level imo.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Barry Foster posted:

Had the same coming back from Amsterdam and Cartegena last year. My bud went to Poland earlier this year and said the exact same thing.

I find myself thinking the same thing a lot. To an extent, "pick a big city in Europe I like, go there, and compare" is cherry picking a bit; your Rotterdams and your Munichs are always going to be better examples than your average small town anywhere. But even with that, and the problems a lot of Europe has, it's everywhere. poo poo is just breaking here, as the money and the funding and the love gets hoovered out of it.

The local Labour guy came round the other day, first time since I left they'd bothered to door-to-door, and I tried my best to articulate the problems I have with them, not in the least the whole trans rights thing and the issues I had with certain people in the CLP. "Surely the tories are much worse on x though", he says, and I was like "for sure, but triangulating yourself just to the left of them still doesn't put you in a good place, it doesn't actually fix anything". He nodded along but I just know he's going to get "stop the botes" from the rest of the street so gently caress it.

Eventually the NHS will collapse and stop funding my expensive as gently caress drugs at which point I'm hosed anyway, so there's really no downside to me shipping out to Berlin and dying there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If you never go abroad then you can never realise quite how appalling this country is :smuggo: Lucky Duck stays winning through poverty

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've not been out the country for 20 years now, but the UK's always been a lovely country when compared to our neighbours. I was chatting to a Romanian tourist the other month who was asking why the roads were so bad over here, so I guess the gap has widened even further.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

Why is this country obsessed with the most vile, shittiest chocolate item you can possibly get?

Wait, don't answer that - it's Britain.

In fairness, even the worst UK chocolate is better than the best American chocolate. But yeah creme eggs are trash tier.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The last time I went to France it was covered in dog poo poo and National Front posters. I think a lot of this just depends on where you go and what specifically you're looking out for.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I see them being used like ukip was, drag the window further to the right by loudly accusing the tories of not being fash enough then the tories happily adopt stronger policy positions pre-election to hoover up those motivated voters

yeah the labour party sucks

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1638143288023867393

:toot:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mourning Due posted:

Remember you went to Stockholm, and to Sweden which culturally and economically has spent decades trying to kill social democracy and adopting american norms. It's on the same path, just not as far along.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The UK has always been a dirty shithole, and that's always been evident when returning from visiting a functional country and society. I haven't been out of the UK for nearly 20 years and it was stark then. It must be even starker now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ronald Reagan rear end apology

"A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that’s true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Brain absolutely riddled with holes that the brain worms have left

https://twitter.com/jefflez/status/1638131359167160320?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Noxville posted:

Brain absolutely riddled with holes that the brain worms have left

https://twitter.com/jefflez/status/1638131359167160320?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

She has gone absolutely insane through transphobia. Or else her grift isn't working out as planned and she just keeps having to escalate.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Ah, the "when you think about it"-osphere that is the tabloid opinion page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We need Jack Straw back to end systemic racism by saying that he's ended systemic racism.
https://twitter.com/marcusjdl/status/1638104597293146112