Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/19/sunday-preview-commander-farsight-takes-his-shot-at-the-arks-of-omen/

Only one book going up for pre-order next week (at least in English), and it's the paperback/ebook/audiobook release of Shadowsun: The Patient Hunter byt Phil Kelly.

Another kinda boring pre-order weekend if anything.

Hang on this says Yarrick is dead? I thought that was a rumour but did they confirm it somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The last Codex.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Devastation of Baal: I had no idea this took place during the turn of the millennium, so that was a really fun surprise. I assumed Mephiston's visions of Cadia were just fun little teasers of things to come in the timeline, and then boom, nihilus, primaris, rowboat and everything all at once.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

I liked that short story about Vulkan, the leader of what is commonly agreed to be the nicest and most compassionate Legion, stomping a bunch of Eldar children into mush. The loyalists are all hypocrites. At least good ol Curze knows what he's doing is bad, he's just having fun with it (when he's not too busy being crazy of course)

I'm sure I wasn't the first to suggest it but at least one of the lost primarchs refusing to be xenocidal always sounded like one of the few things that everyone who was ever in the upper Imperium would agree is worthy of damnatio memoriae.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

One of the lost primarchs just hanging with the xenboys at a super secret craftworld or working a farm with some peaceful xenos on a remote and hidden world would be real fun

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well there's no saying they can't be. The 2nd and 11th are the "Insert Your Fanfiction Here" Primarchs. What ever you want to be true about them is. Even the few things that are canonically said about them can't be trusted because Malcador mindfucked every major characters knowledge about them, with the only people left who REALLY knew them being the thousands of marines that were likely absorbed into the Ultramarines and Imperial Fist. Presumably because even Malcador doesn't have the time or energy to mindwipe that many people and just thought gently caress it, the threats and shame will keep them silent.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, even the absorption of the legions into the blues and yellows is debatable from what I've read, so if you want you can headcannon a sleeper legion lying in wait somewhere out there. It's fun stuff.

Devastation of Baal done with (great book, very mid narration by Gareth), it's back to the heresy and Mark of Calth. Jonathan Keeble you made Akshub sound like Marge Simpson.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

GW have dropped comments about the XIII legion becoming even bigger after the other 2 disappearing, it's been hinted at by other Primarchs/Space marines but could equally be paranoia/envy that Rowboat was able to build up a massive legion through solid logistics and sensible organisation. Meta-canon on it though is they are there so players can have their own homebrew chapters with whatever character they want that they can trace back to an unknown primarch.

I think that reasoning though has been kind of superceded by their own actions though - GW hasn't ever attributed chapters to unknown primarchs and has permitted a pretty big departure in character/approach from founding legions. Some of the XIII successors are pretty far in character from the Ultramarines even if they mostly stick to the Codex and GW don't seem to have a problem with pulling new successors from other legions out of their rear end, which is a change from the original approach that had a pretty tight set of chapters with a grey area for homebrew stuff. Likewise they've been happy to throw out chapters like the Blood Ravens and Space Sharks that are strongly hinted to be from traitor genestock. Saying 'my super cool chapter are descended from an unknown primarch and they really like melee and are pretty intense' now just gets reactions of 'Oh I guess they're Blood Angel successors or even super sekrit World Eater descendants'.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

a lovely king posted:

Hang on this says Yarrick is dead? I thought that was a rumour but did they confirm it somewhere?

You missed the cruicial part:

quote:

Commissar Yarrick may have gone to join the Emperor’s side

They haven't confirmed that he's dead and has been exceedingly coy about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's being held up by Ork logik and gestalt magical thinking.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd really like to see both him and the Fortress of Arrogance sainted, which might end up having some supernatural LotD-esque consequences.

Or roll out out like the Grail Reliquary turned up to 10,000, with Yarrick's bones lashed to the podium.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'd like to see the old man turned into a gun. You really wouldn't want to wield it.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Yarrick should team up with Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka to take on Angron.

edit:
I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it I stole the windows one from Twitter

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 20, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like you need to activate Windows.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's what the imperium wants you to think.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A windows key is literally 2 bucks my dude.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
True servants of the Omnissiah use Ms-Dos, you filthy techno-heretics.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
From the moment I realised the weakness of the GUI, it disgusted me.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Just finished The End and The Death. All the good speculations have already been thrown around so I’m gonna put this stinking turd out there:

they cant stop his ascension and the corpse on the throne is in fact a corpse. Big E is now actually Malal, a chaos god dead bent on killing out chaos

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
End and Death Spoilers and some pandemonium

I think the emperor may have been aware of the possibility of ascending but was actively trying to not ascend and get humanity in the web way. Humanity is a match to the kerosene of the warp and instead of having everyone believe in science, this done got all hosed up now so we're juicing all the bad poo poo instead of trying to slip away into a safe space.

All of this is going on now though and the aspect he is known to mankind as is this martial emperor warlord guy so thats the mask of his that's getting all this juice. They talk about how that's a contrived thing and he doesn't particularly enjoy wearing it (allegedly) but he's ascending weather he likes it or not and it's in the guise of the warlord, now Dark King. Shame he wasn't some philosopher king.

The emperor and the emperor ascendant may be totally different, disconnected beings. One a powerful corpse who will reincarnate, but when he goes the door under Terra opens and the EMPEROR in Terran minds now is unchained to romp around with the big 4 pissing out from the inside as one poster so eloquently put it.

I could also see Valdor, if he is the king in yellow, looking at the failed imperium and being like...
Nah man, let's wipe that and fresh start. I got this super safe, secure haven in the warp, were gunna try again without the primarchs and really slim down the Astartes to just the type we need. I wonder if it's all Blood Angel's in Pandemonium bc of something yet to go down on the Vengeful Spirit.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 21, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MrNemo posted:

Likewise they've been happy to throw out chapters like the Blood Ravens and Space Sharks that are strongly hinted to be from traitor genestock. Saying 'my super cool chapter are descended from an unknown primarch and they really like melee and are pretty intense' now just gets reactions of 'Oh I guess they're Blood Angel successors or even super sekrit World Eater descendants'.

I'm fairly certain that there's a direct line from the raven guard to the space sharks with an added canon reason why they are all assholes.

Edit: or as direct as GW sometimes gets with this kinda thing when they are trying to be coy, but it seems extremely solid.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 21, 2023

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Black Griffon posted:

One of the lost primarchs just hanging with the xenboys at a super secret craftworld or working a farm with some peaceful xenos on a remote and hidden world would be real fun
I could easily see the Great Crusade running across an actively xenophilic primarch going like an outer space version of that Key and Peele post-apocalypse sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX8wm_CONM

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That feels like they were approached to do The Last Man on Earth and reacted appropriately.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mikojan posted:

Just finished The End and The Death. All the good speculations have already been thrown around so I’m gonna put this stinking turd out there:

they cant stop his ascension and the corpse on the throne is in fact a corpse. Big E is now actually Malal, a chaos god dead bent on killing out chaos

It took them a hot minute but they seem to have finally gotten to getting around all the legal stuff about that. Hope it works out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Peyote Panda posted:

I could easily see the Great Crusade running across an actively xenophilic primarch going like an outer space version of that Key and Peele post-apocalypse sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX8wm_CONM

Primarch who grew up with the Tau but he's like a guy who shows up at a DSA meeting in a beret and has a copy of the communist manifesto he can read in front of everyone during a break

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

"Yeah I actually read The Manifest of the Greater Good in the original language, completely different book. Have you heard of Ch'eug Ge V'arah?"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Primarch who grew up with the Tau but he's like a guy who shows up at a DSA meeting in a beret and has a copy of the communist manifesto he can read in front of everyone during a break

If a lost primarch was a trotskyist then the damnato memorium was completely justified

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

one of the lost primarchs is part of bread and roses and the other is part of red star

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I've always thought that one of the lost primarchs took one look at the Emperor, realized he sucked, and took a shot at patricide that didn't work out.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
imagine if angry ron had found that guy and gone "yeah he totally does suck"

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Benagain posted:

imagine if angry ron had found that guy and gone "yeah he totally does suck"

Pretty sure that's exactly what Dorn said when Malcador restored his memory.

In Master of Mankind, there's a conversation between the Emperor and Custodian Ra (after Magnus did his Kool Aid Man impression) about Traitor Marines in the Webway:

“There are always traitors, Ra. After the Ten Thousand performed the Asharik Silencing, I told you all that there was one sin far graver than betrayal.’

‘Failure.”

I think the two Primarchs failed at something so completely that the Emperor wiped them and memories of them out of existence. Not necessarily actively turning against him, but failing to carry out the duties he gave them, intentionally or not.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The most boring explanation is that they fell to Chaos or just turned against the imperium, but 19 v 1 (or 18 v 2) is much more one sided and the Emperor was able to erase all trace of them. If the Drop Site Massacre had never happened and the Imperium had crushed Horus’s rebellion on Istvaan 5 we’d have 14 legions, not 18. But the Heresy was too big to cover up, so they weren’t able to erase the 9 traitors the way they wanted to.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
To be fair, thanks to the Imperial Truth the traitor legions are mythologised as Daemons anyway; It's a clear riff on the Luciferan story, and one of the better handled bits of modern 40K.

The average Joe believes, explicitly, that thinking Bad Thoughts is how the monsters get you, and the return of a real Archangel of the Emperor (In Guilliman) just solidifies that further. It's why the story about the King in Yellow is so potent - It provides an opportunity for a third option for Humanity

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The worst thing, of course, is that thinking bad thoughts might get you got by demons. The Imperial Cult is filled to the brim with superstition, ridiculous and absurd dogma, lies, corruption and nonsense, but a thought is a tiny little prayer. Just a minuscule tribute to the warp, just the tiniest quantum that shines like a lantern.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I was really excited when the original trailer came out, but this is now an immediate day one purchase for me:

https://www.pcgamer.com/meet-your-new-favourite-shotgun-in-this-warhammer-boomer-shooter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23dPeZ5mjws

Gameplay looks great and previews are getting good reviews. Just looks like fun.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lzs6J3iy74

Looks like Guilliman is getting some company, and maybe again the one he least wants.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh drat I really didn't think they'd do it even with all the foreshadowing

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just read the 3rd Ark of Omen today looking for clues since it's about Vashtor attacking the rock but there wasn't anything but it was clear at the end after he failed the first time he is luring the rock into a trap for a 2nd try and that was going to be the 5th book. I've been sure the lion was coming back during this event for a while now.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know if the Lion is the one Guilliman LEAST wants to come back; while he knows about Imperium Secundus, he was pretty much all in on it after a few conversations, and backed up Bobby G a bunch. I think it's a really interesting choice, because there are a lot of dynamics going on with the Fallen, the fact that he'll have a unique reaction to the 40k setting, and also he is very tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
What I think all the primarchs would do if they came back:

Challenge Bobby's rule: Lion, Ferrus
Follow his rule: Dorn, Sanguinius, maybe Vulcan
Do their own thing: Corax, Khan, maybe Vulcan
Do their own thing but be a huge pain in the rear end about it: Rus