Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

To keep with the thread rules and bring it around to how it relates to GBS, there’s a thread in there right now about the new admins for feedback on them. If 75% of active users (disclaimer: I do not know what the actual stat is) the site don’t even go into SAD, then you’re allowing the regulars to effectively select admins that favor them. That applies to current mods and IKs as well because it’s always a one sided argument in there. There really needs to be strong moderation to deliver actual punishment when dissenting opinions are replied to with harassment and doxxing attempts so that SAD eventually feels like a safe enough place for actual discussion.

This is a very good point. I'm wondering if we should do an announcement or something for those types of posts, to try to draw in a larger audience

I'll bring this up with the admins and see what their thoughts are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Make it so you can only make one post in SAD per week

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
For all the reasons BAGS FLY AT NOON posted, SAD is an unproductive and unfun place to post. It doesn't help that every poster in SAD is a rapid F5er who knows everything about every other thread since that forum's genesis.

The truly lovely part is the posts in that forum DO have the ability to change the course of the forums. The reason so many FYAD posters read and post in QCS/SAD is because complaining QCS threads are what got FYAD shut down the last time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'd also like to say that when issues are brought up to mods about things to do with the forums on one hand it would be fair to ask us to post in SAD (problems stated excluded) but also there should be action taken on the part of the mods as well. Representation by those in authority should be something that is good to do. If there's no representation and only enforcement of rules that would make you cops, not officials with the people's interests at heart, ya know?

Especially when people have an expectation of being not just dismissed but harassed and abused it isn't surprising there's a duty to represent to the larger moderation team. And while that is something that I would expect of *any* mod, it does pertain directly to GBS mods as well.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Can I be an admin? I'm ready now

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I'd also like to say that when issues are brought up to mods about things to do with the forums on one hand it would be fair to ask us to post in SAD (problems stated excluded) but also there should be action taken on the part of the mods as well. Representation by those in authority should be something that is good to do. If there's no representation and only enforcement of rules that would make you cops, not officials with the people's interests at heart, ya know?

Especially when people have an expectation of being not just dismissed but harassed and abused it isn't surprising there's a duty to represent to the larger moderation team. And while that is something that I would expect of *any* mod, it does pertain directly to GBS mods as well.

I can only speak for myself, but the bolded part is what I try to do. I have written :words: in the mod forum, and I'd like to think it's helped more than just piss off other mods and admins but that ratio would probably depend on who you asked.

Interforum/meta forum stuff generally is exhausting and aggravating, and I appreciate that GBS as an entity generally floats above it. That said, I'm also glad to be able get feedback about it. We'd actually been talking about doing a feedback thread back in December, but things happened. Going forward I think discussing whether GBS should have a recurring or ongoing feedback thread would be a good topic.

Also

Nooner posted:

Can I be an admin? I'm ready now

Done.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

only people with a confirmed terminal illness irl should be allowed to mod

they alone possess the singular true clarity necessary for the job

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is a very good point. I'm wondering if we should do an announcement or something for those types of posts, to try to draw in a larger audience

I'll bring this up with the admins and see what their thoughts are

You will never get more posters in SAD because SAD is speedrunning QCS and is a shithole. Im rapidly regretting posting in it because you just get brigaded constantly by the insanely loud and obnoxious posters there if you disagree with them. I found out from a friend in discord I play deep rock with that some of my posts from there got crossposted to cspam so they could mock them in private, by an IK no less. So that was good.

It's also full of people who dont read any of the forums or threads they profess to need to fix, resulting in wild claims like the GBS schandenfreude and ohsa threads here being filled with people getting violently killed by industrial shredders and people getting arms torn off on every page which is blatently untrue, or GIP apparantly filled with deathlust warmongers who want to watch russian troops getting vapourized by artillery shells. When GIP posters turned up to tell them theyre wrong they got told to gently caress off.

Honestly I think a forums parliament would work better. Every three months each subforum and forum elect a representative(s? 2,3?) per forum who posts in the parliament forum about forums issues and brings them up, rather than allowing an extremely vocal and online minority of people to just hoot and holler in there till they get their way. It also ensures forums who are generally well run, and hence wouldn't need to bring issues up in SAD, arent getting lost by the wayside or having nonsense told about them unchallenged.

At best, threads like this one for commenting on forum specific issues seem to be best. Since then its by GBS "standards", rather than what some poster somewhere else who doesn't post here thinks.

Anyway. On a GBS note: Seth how is the new rules on death going to be enforced? The thread wasnt clear which was my main complaint with it. Some people wanted it to juet be specifically actual dead bodies or people getting murdered, which is already banned, and some people were arguing any death of any sort, even off screen or not visible or implied should be permaban worthy too, since that obviously starts touching on things like "is tribute.avi a snuff film" or "is a russian tank driving through a minefield a snuff film" or "is a road rage driver driving off a cliff by accident a snuff film", or "is this building collapsing after an earthquake a snuff film", all of which are things that could feasibly be posted here. (Although id expect the fatal car crash to be removed if it later turned out the car driver actually died)

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 21, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People in GBS aren't gonna go to SAD to post because SAD is not GBS. So slowly but surely people who do invest a lot of time in SAD will get to dictate policy site wide to the dissatisfaction or detriment of other areas.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Barudak posted:

People in GBS aren't gonna go to SAD to post because SAD is not GBS. So slowly but surely people who do invest a lot of time in SAD will get to dictate policy site wide to the dissatisfaction or detriment of other areas.

Pretty much this, particulary how SAD is currently being run/moderated.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hay guys, kind reminder that this is not the SAD (or other sub forums) feedback thread! Please try to get back on topic! Thank you! :tipshat:

(For the record, those were all good posts in my opinion, and I find myself agreeing with most of the points that were brought up.)

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 21, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Hay guys, kind reminder that this is not the SAD (or other sub forums) feedback thread! Please try to get back on topic! Thank you! :tipshat:

(For the record, those were all good posts in my opinion, and I find myself agreeing with most of the points that were brought up.)

aside from the post above yours, all the SAD posts are commentary on GBS interacting with SAD on rules and policy, and how they feel they can't post in SAD (which some mods have told posters to do). i think it's on topic, as long as it doesn't turn into a crying fest on SAD and brigading or w/e dumb poo poo

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm a fan of monthly (or up to) quarterly feedback threads myself. I think it's important to be able to address subforum issues in a timely manner, and I also appreciate the opportunity to give out and take in feedback about the mods and our performance.

That's my feedback about feedback threads.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Anyway. On a GBS note: Seth how is the new rules on death going to be enforced? The thread wasnt clear which was my main complaint with it. Some people wanted it to juet be specifically actual dead bodies or people getting murdered, which is already banned, and some people were arguing any death of any sort, even off screen or not visible or implied should be permaban worthy too, since that obviously starts touching on things like "is tribute.avi a snuff film" or "is a russian tank driving through a minefield a snuff film" or "is a road rage driver driving off a cliff by accident a snuff film", or "is this building collapsing after an earthquake a snuff film", all of which are things that could feasibly be posted here. (Although id expect the fatal car crash to be removed if it later turned out the car driver actually died)

The rules Docbeard proposed and newly-adminned Fritz looked to be approving of seem simple enough:

docbeard posted:

I hereby propose that:

1) Graphic footage of people dying or dead, in any forum, for any reason, gets a ban+time off, or a permaban if it's a repeat offense or the admin is feeling spicy and the stars so align.

2) Things that are NOT THAT but which are kind of adjacent to that are treated on a case-by-case basis but with the understanding that your 9/11 joke is probably old hat by now and you should really get some new material

3) All Ukraine War threads in every subforum to feature an unstoppable max-volume autoplaying MIDI of Yusuf Islam's née Cat Stevens' hit "Peace Train"

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm down but add "being tortured" to 1) and emphasize that cheering about this sort of material is especially bad

Don't post poo poo that has people visibly dying/dead/being tortured. If it's something where it can be reasonably implied someone died (tank hitting a mine, tornado hitting a trailer park, several tons of fertilizer exploding in a burning warehouse), then don't be loving gross and/or weird about it.

Someone mentioned asking yourself "Would you show this to a random stranger" before you post a video, but we're goons, we don't talk to strangers. So maybe the better metric to use is "Would you pay $10 to post this video?"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much only post in GBS because I haven't enjoyed posting in any other forums except LAN and that's only because the Michigan thread got moved there lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to be able to block threads the same way we can block users

I hate seeing that dogshit Ukraine thread.

Wee fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I hate seeing the dogshit SAD subforum but I'm a grown up and will accept that I can't fix SA or GBS

Deal

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I would also like to be able to ignore threads. Some might bother me or hit too close to home, some I might just be tired of seeing on the first page of any particular subforum at any time. Something you could skim through in the options to unhide or reset the blocked threads filter if you wanted it all to come back?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Consider how many Megathreads there are now that just hang around for years...

Block

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Suggestion: MegaZord all of Greg's accounts together and send it to SAD to wreak havoc upon that forum so we can discuss important things.

Like renaming Seth to Shrek Pecksniff

And making Smugworth a mod

and making Sid GBS-wide IK

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would also like to be able to ignore threads. Some might bother me or hit too close to home, some I might just be tired of seeing on the first page of any particular subforum at any time. Something you could skim through in the options to unhide or reset the blocked threads filter if you wanted it all to come back?
Maybe you could set up an adblock script for that, or ask in the technical forum (because that sounds like an Astral thing)? I don't really see the point since threads are super easy to not click on but if it makes someone uncomfortable then who am I to judge

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

Yeah, sad is already a toxic cesspit, no better than qcs at its lowest point. Nobody sane would get involved there

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mods should stop soliciting feedback here or in SAD and just do the best they can with their own judgement

either you’re good at the job or you’re not, there’s no upside to listening to the deranged who spend their free time theorycrafting new reasons to ban people and a lot of downside

thank you for considering this important feedback, oh and please ban anyone who is not enthusiastic toward olives

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I just went to save an image and tried to save as WebP format.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Does anyone write moderator fanfiction

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

having posting enemies is so insanwly cringe and fail btw. not feedback for gbs mods but rather epically righteous posters like bigbadsteve

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

having posting enemies is so insanwly cringe and fail btw. not feedback for gbs mods but rather epically righteous posters like bigbadsteve

prepare to die

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gathering my posting allies and confronting my positjg enemies in a heroic combat of the thirty style showdown, except on an internet forum where my only prize is shame

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

say “bye bye” to your account sir

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Each subforum has its own particular tone. GBS is for broad humor and the occasional seriouspost. BYOB is for chill wackiness. FYAD is for trolling. PYF is for... whatever PYF is for.

These forums should have sovereignty over their own tone and content, and should not be able to interfere with the tone and content of other subforums. If you don't like people badmouthing PT Cruisers, stay out of AI.

Forums-wide policy should be reserved for issues that could result in legal action against the website or harm against its users. This would include things like child abuse, file-sharing, encouraging suicide, doxxing, etc. You would want an actual lawyer to weigh in on this. And that lawyer should also have expertise in international law--unless my SAD proposal to permaban all non-US posters is adopted.

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 21, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gathering my posting allies and confronting my positjg enemies in a heroic combat of the thirty style showdown, except on an internet forum where my only prize is shame

The portals scene of Endgame but after the two lines charge each other instead of a CGI brawlfest they just piss themselves and scream "MMMMODS!!!!!"

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Steadiman posted:

Maybe you could set up an adblock script for that, or ask in the technical forum (because that sounds like an Astral thing)? I don't really see the point since threads are super easy to not click on but if it makes someone uncomfortable then who am I to judge

I could add a script to filter any words I don't like too, rather than ask people not to use slurs anymore. It's just nice when some things are baked in, like blocking threads and not seeing SWEARS

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Forums still unmerged? Why not done?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Your av just saw the look I gave you

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can we discourage people from posting "Sorry for the snipe"? Don't really need probes, but I think we've figured out that every post that's divisible by 40 + 1 is a new page, and no one cares.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can we discourage people from posting "Sorry for the snipe"? Don't really need probes, but I think we've figured out that every post that's divisible by 40 + 1 is a new page, and no one cares.

i've advocated for it to be a probatable offense in the past. it is banned under penalty of death in the friday thread

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Prof. Crocodile posted:

PYF is for... whatever PYF is for.

PYF is for making sure what's discussed on the last page never matches what the thread title is.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

My posting enemy is myself.
I think gbs mods are doing a good job if that's worth anything.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa: why the gently caress would you ever be sorry for it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Snyping a page is like getting a double yolk egg, no one can ever know when it's gonna happen but you just gotta smile and feel a lil bit lucky when it does (: