Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

I think I'd remember if it was.... I'm thinking like 70s new wave, James Tiptree Jr or something. It's really driving me crazy, it was the first story of the anthology I was reading and I read it like 13 years ago but I have no idea what it was.

Ian Watson, maybe? Sounds like his kind of thing, but I can't remember any of his that quite fit that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just wanted to share my ITS/B success story. I went to my uncle's funeral and took the opportunity to get some boxes of books that had been in my parents' attic for decades. I've been trying to remember it for a long time, but I didn't have much to go on. "So I had this anthology by this guy who died, it said so in the introduction. There was this story about a teenage runaway who moves in with some drag queens and then they try to cast a magic spell and it goes wrong. And there was one about cannibal children. And one about humans who crash-landed on another planet, and their descendants evolved to be born, grow old, and die in a week because of radiation."

I haven't ever heard Tom Reamy brought up in conversation, because he dropped dead at his typewriter in '77 at the age of forty. Harlan Ellison wrote the introduction/eulogy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Trying to find a Holocaust book I read as a kid.

- Read between 1994 and 2004
- Definitely age appropriate (children's book/middle grade/YA)
- it had something to do with a train (people being packed in on a train?)
- it had something to do with a camera or photographs

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I just wanted to share my ITS/B success story. I went to my uncle's funeral and took the opportunity to get some boxes of books that had been in my parents' attic for decades. I've been trying to remember it for a long time, but I didn't have much to go on. "So I had this anthology by this guy who died, it said so in the introduction. There was this story about a teenage runaway who moves in with some drag queens and then they try to cast a magic spell and it goes wrong. And there was one about cannibal children. And one about humans who crash-landed on another planet, and their descendants evolved to be born, grow old, and die in a week because of radiation."

I haven't ever heard Tom Reamy brought up in conversation, because he dropped dead at his typewriter in '77 at the age of forty. Harlan Ellison wrote the introduction/eulogy.

I should look that book up sometime. Reamy's single novel, Blind Voices, was very good.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Trying to remember the name of a series of YA fantasy novels, probably from the late 90s/early 00s, where I think all magic was ritual spellcasting done with powdered dragon's blood. I think the protagonist was a teenage boy. Any idea?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Probably 15-20 years ago, I bought a book written by a goon. It was about an urban/local boogieman during the dustbowl era. Supernatural. I think the title was the boogieman's name: Mr. *something*

Anyone remember this?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Probably 15-20 years ago, I bought a book written by a goon. It was about an urban/local boogieman during the dustbowl era. Supernatural. I think the title was the boogieman's name: Mr. *something*

Anyone remember this?

Can't say if this is the book, but was the boogieman called Mr Shivers?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone remember this?

Mr Shivers, by Robert Jackson Bennett. IIRC, people being dicks about the book and/or the ads drove him off the site. His City of Stairs books are pretty good.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think that was it!! Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of it in years and years (don't even remember if I liked it), but I'm going to put it on my to-do list

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

navyjack posted:

His City of Stairs books are pretty good.

This part I would strongly disagree with.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Asking here in addition to the SF megathread:

I'm trying to recall a children's (well, younger than YA anyway) sci-fi book I read when I was a kid. Things I remember:

Hostile, desert-type planet, lots of sand. Water accessible through certain grasses that accumulate water in potato-like nodules which you can dig up and suck on.
Crust sand, which is where the sand sticks to itself and presents a solid-looking surface while a sinkhole has opened up underneath. Protagonists fall into one of these at some point.
Lots of names for local things are prefixed with something like trilli-. So the grass is trilligrass, there are also trilliroaches.

General plotline is our protagonists are students at Good Guy Space Academy, while they're out lost in the desert or something Good Guy Space Academy gets vaporized by a Bad Guy space fighter armed with something called a 'fuzz ray,' and they have to survive and make their way into space to stop the larger Bad Guy attack.

Anyone know which book this was?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

navyjack posted:

Mr Shivers, by Robert Jackson Bennett. IIRC, people being dicks about the book and/or the ads drove him off the site. His City of Stairs books are pretty good.

PurpleXVI posted:

This part I would strongly disagree with.

lol

"I remember two facts about him: people were relentlessly negative about his books, and he wrote some good books."
"no, his books suck"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Maha posted:

Trying to remember the name of a series of YA fantasy novels, probably from the late 90s/early 00s, where I think all magic was ritual spellcasting done with powdered dragon's blood. I think the protagonist was a teenage boy. Any idea?

Lawrence watt-evans had an ethshar series that had a book where a teen went out and got dragon blood. It was sold as a major ingredient in magic in the series.

Some were good. Some were bad. I only really disliked 2. Weirdly enough one might be the dragon one I mention.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Maha posted:

2010s Draconis Memorium series by Anthony Ryan uses this as a magic system too.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Not those! I think the name of the first book (or possibly the name of the series) was the name of a powerful archmage in the setting, a single Italian-sounding word like "Castamenti" or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Maha posted:

Not those! I think the name of the first book (or possibly the name of the series) was the name of a powerful archmage in the setting, a single Italian-sounding word like "Castamenti" or something.
Chrestomanci? I don't remember anything about dragon's blood, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh Gwendolyn uses powdered dragons blood to great effect in Charmed Life, yes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Now that I read the question, it's gotta be that. Not all magic is done with dragons blood, but some of the big stuff is.

Lives of Christopher Chant is the other main one that feels similar, Witch Week and Magicians of Caprona are also in the set.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

silvergoose posted:

Now that I read the question, it's gotta be that. Not all magic is done with dragons blood, but some of the big stuff is.

Lives of Christopher Chant is the other main one that feels similar, Witch Week and Magicians of Caprona are also in the set.

Lives has bad guy using Christopher as an interdimensional mule for dragon livers and chunks of mermaid and whatnot, too.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

anilEhilated posted:

Chrestomanci? I don't remember anything about dragon's blood, though.

That's it, thanks very much! Had no idea the first one was from 1977.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

John Lee posted:

lol

"I remember two facts about him: people were relentlessly negative about his books, and he wrote some good books."
"no, his books suck"

American Elsewhere was decent if incredibly predictable, his first two were meh and everything after American Else was very meh. Nothing truly awful, just like if King never did coke.

Aliased
Nov 7, 2022
Does anyone remember a fantasy novel from a few years ago about a guy who leads a city of women in defending themselves? I think the setup may have been that a majority of the men were away with the army when the enemy came calling, and that the guy was like a retired General or mercenary or something.

The book I feel like I remember would have been in the last five years or less, not The Ladies of Mandrigyn from the 80's

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

BattyKiara posted:

Heartlight by T.A. Barron

This was it, thanks!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm trying to remember the name of a series of detective novels I read in the 90's. They were set in the states, probably in New York. The main character was an eccentric/bohemian type, given to big hats, jazz and cravats. Although I might be misremembering all of that, quirky anyway. Name might being with "F". A detail I remember was that he had to let people in to his apartment/office by throwing or lowering down the keys.

Edit: It was Kinky Friedman

yaffle fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 22, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Okay. So. I apologise for being vague but would appreciate finding out:

There's one of these authors considered one of the finest in recent decades. American. Generally stuff that would be beloved by The New Yorker and NPR. If he's not parodied in The Simpsons he is of a similar class to a dude who was.

Specifically he had a magnum opus about the life of an American family.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 22, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably either Michael Chabon or Jonathon Franzen

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Opopanax posted:

Jonathon Franzen

Yup! Thank you! And I was thinking of Freedom.

Out of curiousity do you just know The Simpsons really well or did you catch it off my thin lead?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 22, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bright Bart posted:

Yup! Thank you! And I was thinking of Freedom.

Out of curiousity do you just know The Simpsons really well or did you catch it off my thin lead?

Both

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

Okay. So. I apologise for being vague but would appreciate finding out:

There's one of these authors considered one of the finest in recent decades. American. Generally stuff that would be beloved by The New Yorker and NPR. If he's not parodied in The Simpsons he is of a similar class to a dude who was.

Specifically he had a magnum opus about the life of an American family.

Was that the one where the dude plays around with a literal piece of poo poo and has some amazing insight into life?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yes. But I never got to that part and if it's toilet humour I'd be upset and whelp it seems to be toilet humour.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Short story where the neighbors on a street are driven to paranoia of each other by a man just doing little things/starting rumors. I feel like it’s a matheson story but didn’t find it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Short story where the neighbors on a street are driven to paranoia of each other by a man just doing little things/starting rumors. I feel like it’s a matheson story but didn’t find it.

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street was a banger of a twilight zone ep that matches.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

oldpainless posted:

My first thought was the Twilight Zone episode The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, but I don't know if it was ever a published story.

E: beaten while perusing Wikipedia

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That seems like it’s probably it. Maybe I read a novelization of it because I could swear I read it, not watched it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

oldpainless posted:

That seems like it’s probably it. Maybe I read a novelization of it because I could swear I read it, not watched it.

My middle school English textbook contained the script. If yours did too that might explain it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's definitely in print too, there are a few Matheson collections

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

oldpainless posted:

Sounds like Matheson's The Distributor: https://isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?72804

quote:

Pale morning mist engulfed Sylmar Street. Theodore moved through it silently. Under the back porch of the Jeffersons’ house he set fire to a box of damp papers. As it began to smolder he walked across the yard and, with a single knife stroke, slashed apart the rubber pool. He heard it pulsing water on the grass as he left. In the alley he dropped a book of matches that read Putnam’s Wines and Liquors.

A little after six that morning he woke to the howl of sirens and felt the small house tremble at the heavy trucks passing by. Turning on his side, he yawned, and mumbled, “Goody.”

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 25, 2023

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Quoting myself from a few years ago in another thread. This short story is my white whale, and I've been looking for it for at least 15 years.

MrGreenShirt posted:

I remember reading a horror short story in an anthology probably some time in the late 90s, possibly Australian but most likely American or British in origin.

A little girl is told by her parents to go to bed because they're having some friends/colleagues over for a dinner party. The little girl begrudgingly goes upstairs and talks with her not-so-imaginary friend, who i remember being a tall man. She wants to know what the adults get up to at a dinner party, so the man takes her "behind" the walls into a space where she can look into the rest of the house, but no-one else can see her.

While there, she sees her parents the way they are actually interacting with their friends, as well as seeing them as monstrous caricatures revealing their inner thoughts and desires, tearing each other to pieces, lying from one mouth and speaking the truth through another, groping one another when they're secretly having an affair, that sort of thing. In the end the tall man asks the little girl if, now that she knows what grown-ups are like, she still wants to go back to the real world. The girl says no, and instead she and the tall man walk hand-in-hand away from the house to dimensions unknown.

This has been driving me bananas for years now.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

MrGreenShirt posted:

Quoting myself from a few years ago in another thread. This short story is my white whale, and I've been looking for it for at least 15 years.

Delia and the Dinner Party by John Shirley. I have it in the first Borderlands collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Holy poo poo, you're my goddamned hero. You have no idea how happy this makes me!