Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Websites suck rear end now. All I want is to learn about the merits of various chromebooks that do a good tablet mode so I can buy my wife a new one and get hers to replace this unsupported little thing, but anywhere doing "reviews" is a paragraph of text for each one with a billion affiliate links.

Freaquency posted:

I think I’m done ordering frozen foods online because apparently there isn’t a company out there that doesn’t just constantly gently caress it up. I ordered some dumplings from Fly By Jing because I’d heard that they’re good and they’re being discontinued. They shipped on Thursday (!) and showed up today looking like this:

I hate wasting food so this loving sucks!!

Kiiiilll......meee.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Upon initial viewing I thought it was intestines or some other eldrich horror.

From the thumbnail I thought it was some sort of fungus abomination.

Like cordyceps...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://twitter.com/Schwartzesque/status/1637980182526001153?t=8zTCb--sct5uhfVVZVRcAQ&s=19

Nothing revelatory but Bush and especially Cheney wanted to start a war with Iraq and when they couldn't find proof they lied to the public about the intelligence they were getting. Nice to know for sure that my 9th grade self was right on the money.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Manoueverable posted:

Well at least now you know why they're being discontinued!

Yeah I opened it up and said “well that explains a lot”

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/Schwartzesque/status/1637980182526001153?t=8zTCb--sct5uhfVVZVRcAQ&s=19

Nothing revelatory but Bush and especially Cheney wanted to start a war with Iraq and when they couldn't find proof they lied to the public about the intelligence they were getting. Nice to know for sure that my 9th grade self was right on the money.

Are you trying to tell me this guy wasn't being forthright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWeBzGuzCc

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Freaquency posted:

I think I’m done ordering frozen foods online because apparently there isn’t a company out there that doesn’t just constantly gently caress it up. I ordered some dumplings from Fly By Jing because I’d heard that they’re good and they’re being discontinued. They shipped on Thursday (!) and showed up today looking like this:

These are bull scrotums, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Puppy Bowl posted:

SA then: Watch Bush start a loving war
SA now: Watched Bush start a loving war

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I was in 7th grade and I got a little ostracized for my "Bush is lying" stance but it's always good to know I was right. My grandpa who died in November last year would also feel smugly vindicated, as long as we stay away from the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" aspects of 9/11.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

20 years later they're doing the same thing in eastern Europe. Not a big shock.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Freaquency posted:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BlindSite posted:

20 years later they're doing the same thing in eastern Europe. Not a big shock.

Uh ... what? America didn't have poo poo to do with the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Websites suck rear end now. All I want is to learn about the merits of various chromebooks that do a good tablet mode so I can buy my wife a new one and get hers to replace this unsupported little thing, but anywhere doing "reviews" is a paragraph of text for each one with a billion affiliate links.

Yes! It's so loving annoying. It's near impossible to find a decent review on anything these days. Thankfully you can usually get a decent answer somewhere on these forums.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Oh lets talk about recipes that are 3000 words to get to the actual recipe and instructions.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh lets talk about recipes that are 3000 words to get to the actual recipe and instructions.

I thought I had a Chrome extension that jumped straight to the recipe but it turns out I've been scrolling past at lightning speed without realizing it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I thought about this too. It's the same thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Recipe Filter extension on Chrome (and I think it's the same on Firefox). Automatically strips out all the "my dear husband and my picky eater kids loved this and asked for seconds and by the way let me tell you about my grandma and how her farm inspired this recipe" bullshit and just pops up the actual recipe.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I've got the extensions and am pretty good at scrolling when need be. I also hate that the NY times locks their recipes but have a work around too. Still, I just wanna to know what kind of wine you used in this recipe, not a whole story about how you and your husband got drunk at a winery and a bitter fight but the merlot helped you make a rabbit stew that saved your marriage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Look sometimes I just want to read your life story and how you ended up in Montana and having your car break down. Then going to a dive bar and ordering food for you and your hubby :love: and your toddler :lovelove: in front of a couple of drunks before you figured out how to make chicken tikka masala, which has nothing to do with this story. Although the bar food was good.

My origin cooking stories would be being berated by people who knew what they were doing while I did not or broing up with someone to make something absolutely abominable but filling.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I mean, nothing new under the sun that the GOP will sacrifice everything for a win.

'68 - Nixon tells N. Vietnam to wait until he's elected to bargain for peace, to hurt Dem chances in election, costing thousands of American soldiers' lives.
'72 - Watergate, Illicit donations by big business after regulation threats
'80 - Connelly goes to Iran to tell them to wait until Reagan gets elected to release hostages, to hurt Dem chances in election, keeping American soldiers in captivity, with 8 deaths in failed rescue.
'84 - Iran-Contra ongoing, though it didn't break until a few years later. The combination of obstructionism, delay, destruction of evidence, and presidential pardons lay the foundation for the GOP playbook ever since. Also, the Indiana 8 events that laid the groundwork for election destabilization from that point onward.
'88 - No New Taxes, Bush pardons everyone
'00 - Bush v. Gore
'04 - Bush lied, starts 20 year quagmire, costing thousands of American soldiers' lives and irreparably changing the world landscape.
'16 - But her emails

I won't even count the attempted BS that didn't work in the years that the Dems won.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

Man I put on the first season of true detective on and I had forgotten how good it was.

it's so freaking good

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Abugadu posted:

I mean, nothing new under the sun that the GOP will sacrifice everything for a win.

'68 - Nixon tells N. Vietnam to wait until he's elected to bargain for peace, to hurt Dem chances in election, costing thousands of American soldiers' lives.
'72 - Watergate, Illicit donations by big business after regulation threats
'80 - Connelly goes to Iran to tell them to wait until Reagan gets elected to release hostages, to hurt Dem chances in election, keeping American soldiers in captivity, with 8 deaths in failed rescue.
'84 - Iran-Contra ongoing, though it didn't break until a few years later. The combination of obstructionism, delay, destruction of evidence, and presidential pardons lay the foundation for the GOP playbook ever since. Also, the Indiana 8 events that laid the groundwork for election destabilization from that point onward.
'88 - No New Taxes, Bush pardons everyone
'00 - Bush v. Gore
'04 - Bush lied, starts 20 year quagmire, costing thousands of American soldiers' lives and irreparably changing the world landscape.
'16 - But her emails

I won't even count the attempted BS that didn't work in the years that the Dems won.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I will always think of the episode of The Simpsons where Homer beats up Bush Sr whenever I think of Gerald Ford, even though he only shows up at the end. Then the Betty Ford center.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Leslie King Jr was a drat fine football player but he pardoned Nixon, which has led to certain presidents thinking themselves untouchable.

Deadnaming him in light jest, his adopted dad did a heck of a job.

Plus he didn’t get elected.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Gerald Ford literally only had to do one thing to not make me hate him, he was never going to get elected in '76, any Republican would be too poisoned by Nixon to get elected. So all he had to do was sit there and not gently caress up and not pardon Nixon and be remembered as a safe steward during a difficult time. I literally no nothing else about his time as president except that he pardoned Nixon and while he obviously isn't the worst president, it has to put him in the bottom half.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's nuts that the last good republican president was Eisenhower

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

a neat cape posted:

I don't even think he was good, he's just remembered favorably for pointing out how much influence the military has over the country on his way out the door and history proving him correct

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a neat cape posted:

I'm not sure if I'd call him good, but he was definitely better than any that have come since.

I think the only presidents I'd call good would be Lincoln and FDR, and they both committed war crimes (Pretty much every single one did if there was a war while they were president, so it's not rare company).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Justin long is a whatever actor and he’s apparently a massive rear end in a top hat but he’s got an eye for horror scripts that make statements about the current economic milieu.

I always love hearing about the dissonance of actors between their on-screen persona and their personality. I guess Ben Stiller is the ur-example.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

I always love hearing about the dissonance of actors between their on-screen persona and their personality. I guess Ben Stiller is the ur-example.

Ah man don’t tell me Ben Stiller sucks….

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always heard people who played bad guys and villains were the opposite, they were usually good people but got poo poo from random people for playing a bad guy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Regarding cooking chat, I always figured the long BS stories were because the people sharing the recipes watched too many cooking shows where the chef on the show tells a story while cooking, so they imagine themselves doing the same.

Except you’re not a chef and don’t have to fill a 30 minute spot, so just shut the gently caress up and give me the recipe. Maybe a little explanation of why the recipe works would be great but I don’t care about your personal poo poo.

That’s why I love the Test Kitchen cook books. They’ve made the recipes themselves and talk about why they work, what pairs with them, etc. There’s even parts in the books that explain what each type of cooking or whatever means. I LOVE using their books. The Mediterranean one is my favorite:

https://a.co/d/18x28G1

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My favorite was when someone posted a recipe in a Slack and I pointed out that it was written in paragraphs. People said shut up old man, that's old news, just scroll to the bottom, and had to push back saying no, it literally does not have a bullet list of ingredients. The entire recipe was written like an essay with no discernable point where the cooking began.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's kind of amazing how everyone gaming algorithms has slowly made the internet worse and worse. We're really getting to a breaking point where google is actually worthless because the search results will just straight up give you the wrong information.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
https://www.theanthonykitchen.com/co-cornbread-recipe/ is my all-time favorite internet recipe. Two short intro paragraphs, then a bunch of thoughts about actually making the recipe. Wonder why there's flour in addition to cornmeal? Want to know about different baking pans? That's replacing SEO family history crap. Just want the recipe? There's a "Jump to recipe" button! And the kicker is if you hit "print" it has a way to scale the ingredients by serving count.

It's a good cornbread recip, but I think I make it mostly because the recipe website rules.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping an AI ouroboros causes the current version of internet search to eat itself and be reinvented

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Shinji2015 posted:

I don't even think he was good, he's just remembered favorably for pointing out how much influence the military has over the country on his way out the door and history proving him correct

Eisenhower basically had to sit back and just let things go as they were. The post-war economy was booming, switching from manufacturing for war effort to consumer goods. The tax rate on the 1% was hugely effective in generating revenue to build the modern-day infrastructure we have today. So he did a great job by simply nodding his head and saying "yup, this will work".

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Eisenhower Expressway system accelerated the gutting of American cities though, since it enabled people to flee the suburbs while still commuting into the city for work. It probably would've happened anyway, but it likely made sprawl much much worse. If they built expressways that never entered into the cities themselves, it probably would've been a great thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eisenhower was also a big part of Nixon's origin story which led to, well him failing terribly in a televised debate against Kennedy, but then going insane and actually getting good at the television thing (along with making sure he looked good about everything else whether he did or not). Which in turn led to Reagan's start which led to...yeah.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My beef with online recipes is so many of them just don’t work as if they just had an idea, thought it all out in their head, never cooked it, and posted it online.

Hell, even the lemon ricotta pancakes recipe in The Food Lab is clearly missing something (or I am, I’ve considered I’m just insane and keep missing something). I’ve tried it three times and the batter more resembles dough than pancake batter. It’s as simple as adding some more buttermilk and water and they’re good to go and are tasty, but drat, did you forget a liquid ingredient, Kenji?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

If they built expressways that never entered into the cities themselves, it probably would've been a great thing.

Cities were going to find a way to "clear the slums" interstate or no interstate. It was just a convenient excuse with side benefits.

In Tucson they fought the freeway and won but still razed most of the historic barrio for a convention center.