Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, said it on Helwani's show.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1637881186327379969

quote:

I definitely have a say, and listen, he ain't getting the title shot next fight. Look at the road I had to take to get there, alright, no way he's getting beat twice by the guy I just beat twice, went out there and beat Masvidal, and then sit out for a year and a half--not even tweeting or nothing, he's just gone missing for a year, and then randomly pops up at the weigh-ins and be like 'Okay, he's fighting for the title next fight.' It makes no sense at all.

Let's see how it plays out, he has to go out there and earn his way like I did, like I had to do. Khamzat, him and Khamzat have been calling each other out for years, this is a matchup that three times in a row I took that fight, and he didn't take the fight, and he's getting REWARDED for not taking the fight, and when it was me, I got removed from the rankings. So the Dana White privilege is definitely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ok now I'm glad Leon cheated so much

Mr. Nice! posted:

He loving suplexed someone into an armbar and tapped him out in seconds just because he could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvxDU8xb0r0

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
"Dana White Privelige"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

"Dana White Privelige"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Unperson_47 posted:

Ok now I'm glad Leon cheated so much

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

This was also like 24:50 into a five round fight where MMMD”MMM”J just dismantled his opponent the entire time. Like after almost half an hour into getting your rear end whooped en route to a unanimous 50-45 at best you get tapped out with fewer than 10 seconds left in the fight. Could you imagine?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

This was also like 24:50 into a five round fight where MMMD”MMM”J just dismantled his opponent the entire time. Like after almost half an hour into getting your rear end whooped en route to a unanimous 50-45 at best you get tapped out with fewer than 10 seconds left in the fight. Could you imagine?

Not really important but you're mixing this up with his other dominant fight with a ridiculous last second armbar against Kyoji Horiguchi which was at 4:59 in the fifth round, the armbar suplex was in the middle of the last round

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fentry posted:

Not really important but you're mixing this up with his other dominant fight with a ridiculous last second armbar against Kyoji Horiguchi which was at 4:59 in the fifth round, the armbar suplex was in the middle of the last round

Thank you for the correction.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thank you for the correction.

There's still some beautiful timing, as the suplex-bar comes right after Joe says 'at this point, getting to the final bell would be a real achievement for Borg'

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

There's still some beautiful timing, as the suplex-bar comes right after Joe says 'at this point, getting to the final bell would be a real achievement for Borg'
He’d had four whole rounds to adapt to the rest of DJ’s arsenal and was only vulnerable to instagibs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

easy to say Shayilan Nuerdanbieke

I dunno; it's not that easy to say.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

He did tap, though. Twice and repeatedly: https://twitter.com/MmaUnderdogs/status/1637625433737814020

It's weird as all hell and I have no idea why he'd do that, but that's a clear a tap as you'll ever see.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freudian slippers posted:

I have no idea why he'd do that

I mean, there is such a thing as the "Brazilian Tap." You tap lightly and only once so your opponent things you tapped to their submission, and then you take advantage of them thinking you tapped. I would not be shocked if that's what he was trying to go for there.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Cheating to win? someone give that man a title shot, clearly he's ready for it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It's a weird one because he doesn't look to be in a submission at that point

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

It could be the ol' brazilian tap, but it's weird since he's not in a sub. Though his shoulder was apparently in pretty bad shape going into the match and there might be something going on with that? Either way, he very clearly taps in a deliberate and obvious way. Nothing will come of it of course, but it'd be fun to see an athletic comission actually do something about it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think he said the funny face man apologised for getting his toes stuck in his trunks so it's less of a tap and more of a no problem bud

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
edit: lol wrong thread, oops

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 21, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
while looking for brazil's national anthem i ran across this quote that made me remember that woodley / thompson had one of the most dog poo poo tedious title fights in history. in any division. so naturally they had no choice but to run it back. not with any plan to keep everyone awake or whatever like electrified octagon walls. just them in a cage for 5 more rounds. i remember anger at this booking because it was somehow obvious to me that these two aren't capable of fighting each other in a way people would want to watch.

anyway, all rise.

didn't want to gently caress my wife
had no testes all my life

had it bad, fever, dengue
we cannot roll if you are gay

was too well trained, my knee was sprained
had the flu, was feeling drained

it was not roids, 'twas novodex
off to japan, where they don't test

i hurt my back and my knees too
failed a drug test from barbeque

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The first Woodley/Thompson fight was suspenseful and cool to watch in the moment, IMO. Probably wouldn't hold up on a rewatch, knowing it goes the full 25, but at the time it felt pretty exciting because the big moments were very dramatic. The second fight, and really all of the 2 remaining hours of Woodley's in-cage career (Luque brawl and the final minute or two of the Till fight notwithstanding), did end up being pretty painful to sit through, though.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

while looking for brazil's national anthem i ran across this quote that made me remember that woodley / thompson had one of the most dog poo poo tedious title fights in history. in any division. so naturally they had no choice but to run it back. not with any plan to keep everyone awake or whatever like electrified octagon walls. just them in a cage for 5 more rounds. i remember anger at this booking because it was somehow obvious to me that these two aren't capable of fighting each other in a way people would want to watch.

anyway, all rise.

didn't want to gently caress my wife
had no testes all my life

had it bad, fever, dengue
we cannot roll if you are gay

was too well trained, my knee was sprained
had the flu, was feeling drained

it was not roids, 'twas novodex
off to japan, where they don't test

i hurt my back and my knees too
failed a drug test from barbeque

isn't it traditionally sung by oompa loompas that are then slaughtered by a BOPE hit squad

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's a KO of the Year candidate from the main event of Shooto on Sunday
https://twitter.com/mmaecosystem/status/1637494542059581442

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some spectacularly uncalled for follow-up on the ground there

mewse
May 2, 2006

Beeswax posted:

Some spectacularly uncalled for follow-up on the ground there

The ref wasn't very quick to jump in

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I was just thinking thank gently caress Mark Hunt never had blood-lust like that and then I realised if he didn't learn to walk off KO early he'd almost certainly have murdered somebody.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's two more cool things I capped

https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1638184311277993985

https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1638225871784890368

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MMAMania doing the kind of article the brain dead Dana suck ups think is "real journalism"

https://twitter.com/UNEDiTEDpod/status/1637882696444837888

https://twitter.com/DanaExotic/status/1638132802536505344

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: b league preview time! :siren:

ONE Fight Night 8 - Friday, March 25

Main Card - 10 PM ET

Bantamweight Title (Kickboxing) - Superlek “The Kicking Machine” Kiatmoo9 vs Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon

Superlek is 131-29 in kickboxing. In 2012 he was the Sports Authority of Thailand Fighter of the Year, as well as the Lumpinee Stadium 115 lb champ, and in 2013 he was Lumpinee’s 118 lb champion. In ONE, he’s 9-1, is the current “Flyweight” kickboxing world champion.

Rodtang is 270-42 in kickboxing. He is 13-0 in ONE, and is the current “Flyweight” Muay Thai champion, with four successful defenses under his belt.

Holy poo poo, y’all. We get a Superlek fight AND a Rodtang fight, and it’s the same fight? This is gonna whip so much rear end, you’ll probably go blind. :krad:

Strawweight Title (Muay Thai) - Allycia Rodrigues vs Janet “JT” Todd

Rodrigues won the title by majority decision over Stamp Fairtex back in 2020. She was scheduled to defend against Todd at the end of 2022, but Janet tested positive for Covid, pushing it to this event. I am laying this information out here because I can’t source much else in terms of Rodrigues’s martial arts record.

Todd is 39-11 in kickboxing. She defeated Stamp Fairtex for the kickboxing title in 2020, then won the interim Muay Thai belt in 2022 while everyone was waiting for Rodrigues.

Both fighters have unfairly robbed Stamp and they are my sworn enemies. Justice for Stamp!

Strawweight - Seo Hee “Hamderlei Silva” Ham vs Itsuki “Android 18” Hirata

Ham is 25-8 with 4 TKO and 3 submission wins. She went 1-3 in UFC, probably because she’s actually an Atomweight. Ham is 3-0 in Rizin with a pair of TKO finishes, and is 2-0 in ONE. She’s currently on a 8-fight win streak, having last lost in 2016.

Hirata is 6-1 with 2 TKO and 2 submission wins. She is 5-1 in ONE, winning her most recent bout in 2022 over Heqin Lin.

I will always back Hamderlei Silva, but she is 13 years older than Hirata. Ham made her pro debut when Hirata was 8. Sheesh!

Lightweight - “Spider” Ho Taek Oh vs Akbar Abdullaev

Oh is 9-2 with 2 TKO and 5 submission wins. He is on a 7-fight win streak, his last win coming in his ONE debut last September.

Abdullaev is 8-0 with 7 TKO and 1 submission win.

Abdullaev’s got a good record, but he hasn’t fought much in the way of legitimate competition. Then again, neither has Oh. Looks like two untested guys will be each other’s first big test. Fun stuff!

Flyweight (Kickboxing) - Peimian “Fighting Rooster” Zhang vs Torepchi Dogak

Zhang is 15-2 in kickboxing. He won the 2021 Road to ONE tournament, and is 2-0 in ONE.

Dogak is a person who exists.

Kickboxing! Yay!

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Danial “Mini T” Williams vs Rui Botelho

Williams is 24-8 as a kickboxer. He lost his only fight in ONE’s Muay Thai division to Rodtang back in 2021.

Botelho is 1-4 in ONE kickboxing and Muay Thai.

Little tiny glove Muay Thai by little tiny men. Let’s go!

Flyweight - Alex “Little Rock” Silva vs Keito Yamakita

Silva is 12-8 with 10 wins by submission. He is 11-8 in ONE and lost his most recent bout in October.

Yamakita is 7-0 with 1 TKO and 2 submission wins. He went 6-0 in Pancrase (Yes, they are Hybrid Wrestlers, how did you know?) and also won on a Shooto: Road to ONE card back in 2021. Then he went right back to Pancrase, so I guess he didn’t actually get on the Road to ONE.

Silva’s record is pretty rocky, but he’s got some wins over quality competition. Yamakita has had a bit of an easier time, at least on paper based on opponent records.

Prelim Card - 8 PM ET

Lightweight (Muay Thai) - Niclas “The Destroyer” Larsen vs Eddie Abasolo

Larsen is 47-12 in kickboxing. He looks to have gone 3-3 in Glory and is currently 0-2 in ONE kickboxing.

Abasolo is 9-3 as a pro boxer, and looks to be 2-3 in Muay Thai, according to Tapology. He is 0-1 in ONE.

One of these farangs gotta win. Watch to find out whom.

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Ekaterina “Barbie” Vandaryeva vs Iman “Pretty Killer” Barlow

Vandaryeva is 58-10 in kickboxing. She is currently 0-3 under the ONE banner

Barlow is 96-6 in kickboxing. She’s won multiple world titles in kickboxing and Muay Thai, including World Kickboxing Association’s Muay Thai Bantamweight title, Lion Fight’s 54 kg title, and two runs as Enfusion’s 54 kg champ, racking up six successful title defenses.

Barlow has the experience and youth advantage, but Vandaryeva is bigger, and this appears to be Barlow’s first time heading up to 125 lbs.

Flyweight (Grappling) - Bianca Basilio vs Tammi Musumeci

Both these grapplers have grappling accomplishments that contain a lot of letters and medal colors. Fun stuff.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What if the heat gets Belal the title shot? Belal should call more racists racist, imo

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Cancel culture has got to stop!

Pretty soon Belal will have his own comedy stand up special on Netflix

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Could this mean Leon talked Dana into a matchup with the Burns/Masvidal winner, and now Colby and Belal are selling their own fight? Or am I giving a sport full of idiots too much credit

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of the UFC's marketing machine,
https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1638343498213515265

yeah, joe, what IF GSP and Masvidal had been around the same time

it's so tragic their eras were so far apart

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reeg posted:

Could this mean Leon talked Dana into a matchup with the Burns/Masvidal winner, and now Colby and Belal are selling their own fight? Or am I giving a sport full of idiots too much credit

Behalf is scheduled to fight Shavkat because making the #4 WW fight someone outside of the top 5 for the 3rd time is what the UFC thinks of their rankings.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

Masvidal was getting inverted triangle by Toby Imada in Bellator while GSP was beating up BJ "to the death Georges" Penn and Thiago Alves.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
GSP-Masvidal would have looked like when Usman smeared him on late replacement, except the same thing would happen even with the best camp of Jorge’s life.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
25 solid minutes of GSP patiently jabbing Masvidal's face into chowder, and every time Masvidal does that stupid grin.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

B-But colby I thought cancel culture was Bad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gsp is without a doubt the best fighter to ever fight at welterweight. he would beat anyone at his peak. he's too good. rogan is a loving moron.

that said, lawler's resume from knocking koscheck the gently caress out to defending against carlos condit is absurd. for almost three years he lost once to hendricks in a razor thin decision that was fotn anyway. condit and rory 2 are all time. gsp is the best fighter. lawler is the greatest ww champion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CarlCX posted:

I would pick GSP in a GSP v Masvidal fight at this very moment without even knowing if GSPs in fight shape.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

I would pick GSP in a GSP v Masvidal fight at this very moment without even knowing if GSPs in fight shape.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: b league preview time! :siren:

ONE Fight Night 8 - Friday, March 25

Main Card - 10 PM ET

Bantamweight Title (Kickboxing) - Superlek “The Kicking Machine” Kiatmoo9 vs Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon

Superlek is 131-29 in kickboxing. In 2012 he was the Sports Authority of Thailand Fighter of the Year, as well as the Lumpinee Stadium 115 lb champ, and in 2013 he was Lumpinee’s 118 lb champion. In ONE, he’s 9-1, is the current “Flyweight” kickboxing world champion.

Rodtang is 270-42 in kickboxing. He is 13-0 in ONE, and is the current “Flyweight” Muay Thai champion, with four successful defenses under his belt.

Holy poo poo, y’all. We get a Superlek fight AND a Rodtang fight, and it’s the same fight? This is gonna whip so much rear end, you’ll probably go blind. :krad:

sorry, lobmob

https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1638390223150415872