Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lockback posted:

ok, so I think your perspective on the industry is kinda skewed, as I wouldn't bucket people differently between "20 years" vs "30-40 year" of experience. At that point, you have the skills or not. I'm not looking at a 45 year old saying "Man, this dude will be great once he gets more time under his belt". You can obviously still grow in any role at any age, but it's not like you have to have coded during the Reagan Administration to qualify for a job.

There's also FAANG(MANGA) and everything else. If that's your target, right now is a BAD time but more power to you. But, the advice for those jobs are very different than any other job, there is a specific skillset you need to hone and you don't do it with office experience. There are others who are much better at walking you through that in the CoC sub-forum. But someone with 4-8 years experience can pull 500k+ there if they have the right skills, but for every person who gets that job there are 10, 20, 50 who don't.

Then you have "Game Industry" vs "Everything Else", which is much closer together but still some differences. And honestly, the last 6-10 years they've been getting closer and closer. Still, all things equal, leaving the games industry means somewhat more money, better working conditions, and generally more stable job. Lots of caveats there but I feel pretty good about that. And yes, I think Mobile is probably better than most other game industries. But for "Boring Job" If you have 20+ years of experience (and you are actually good, say Upper-end Senior/Architect/Staff-level) your targets should probably start at ~$150k-$200k and go up (multiply that if you're in the Bay area, or a smaller but still significant multiple if you're in high demand cities) plus some kind of Equity/Stock structure that can be anywhere from 20% to double that salary. From what I understand the game industry is usually less, but the skills and roles are very similar.

I'd get it out of your head that when you get to your 50s or 60s then high paying jobs start coming up. If your at the level you say you are, you are in your highest-paying phase.

That pay range you listed is closer to games job with that experience. The non-game roles are higher for the same experience, and sometimes a job level down. A principal engineer job in games seems to be around $220k to $240k total comp, the software jobs are $300k to $500k total comp for job levels 2-3 lower than the principal role in games. So the ranges I'm seeing right now is anywhere between $150k for the lowest end at my job level, to $500k at the highest.

Total comp being the asterisk, because some places that might be $150k base pay and $300k+ a year in bonuses, other places try to have a higher base pay for stability. Some places those are cash bonuses, some places they are equity, stock, etc. Sometimes it's a combination of everything.

edit: I just noticed the years of experience thing. I am definitely not the highest-paying phase. I'm at the "career position" level where I could stay at my current job level and never get promoted again without anyone batting an eye, but there are probably a good 5-6 job levels above mine. Principal, Senior Principal, Technical Director, roles like that and higher. It feels like there's a new job level or so added to the ladder every 5-10 years right now.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spwrozek posted:

This is very true and applies to all sectors in my experience. If you stay in a IC role you should be pretty much at the top by 20-25 years of experience. Most people find their top end at that point in their career.

Hell, that is true for most people in management as well. There just aren't that many chairs at the really highly compensated levels.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chainclaw posted:

That pay range you listed is closer to games job with that experience. The non-game roles are higher for the same experience, and sometimes a job level down. A principal engineer job in games seems to be around $220k to $240k total comp, the software jobs are $300k to $500k total comp for job levels 2-3 lower than the principal role in games. So the ranges I'm seeing right now is anywhere between $150k for the lowest end at my job level, to $500k at the highest.

Total comp being the asterisk, because some places that might be $150k base pay and $300k+ a year in bonuses, other places try to have a higher base pay for stability. Some places those are cash bonuses, some places they are equity, stock, etc. Sometimes it's a combination of everything.

A level down for being in Games sounds right. 220k total comp would be low for a principal-level dev, but not totally out of the range. 300k-500k total comp for a senior 1 type level (which is what I'd call 2-3 levels lower) would be FAANG-type comp ratios, maybe FAANG adjacent, and wouldn't match up with what you'd find at a FinTech or MedTech type company in the midwest, for example.

Remember, FAANG is not "The Software Industry". It's a very thin slice that right now is seeing an outsized portion of the layoffs in the sector.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

ok, so I think your perspective on the industry is kinda skewed, as I wouldn't bucket people differently between "20 years" vs "30-40 year" of experience. At that point, you have the skills or not. I'm not looking at a 45 year old saying "Man, this dude will be great once he gets more time under his belt". You can obviously still grow in any role at any age, but it's not like you have to have coded during the Reagan Administration to qualify for a job.

There's also FAANG(MANGA) and everything else. If that's your target, right now is a BAD time but more power to you. But, the advice for those jobs are very different than any other job, there is a specific skillset you need to hone and you don't do it with office experience. There are others who are much better at walking you through that in the CoC sub-forum. But someone with 4-8 years experience can pull 500k+ there if they have the right skills, but for every person who gets that job there are 10, 20, 50 who don't.

Then you have "Game Industry" vs "Everything Else", which is much closer together but still some differences. And honestly, the last 6-10 years they've been getting closer and closer. Still, all things equal, leaving the games industry means somewhat more money, better working conditions, and generally more stable job. Lots of caveats there but I feel pretty good about that. And yes, I think Mobile is probably better than most other game industries. But for "Boring Job" If you have 20+ years of experience (and you are actually good, say Upper-end Senior/Architect/Staff-level) your targets should probably start at ~$150k-$200k and go up (multiply that if you're in the Bay area, or a smaller but still significant multiple if you're in high demand cities) plus some kind of Equity/Stock structure that can be anywhere from 20% to double that salary. From what I understand the game industry is usually less, but the skills and roles are very similar.

I'd get it out of your head that when you get to your 50s or 60s then high paying jobs start coming up. If your at the level you say you are, you are in your highest-paying phase.

What do you recommend as the skillset that is different from office experience? Is this a different skillset than other corporations, or do you mean an engineering skillset?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

downout posted:

What do you recommend as the skillset that is different from office experience? Is this a different skillset than other corporations, or do you mean an engineering skillset?

Being able to crush leetcode questions, solve very specific architecture questions in an interview setting, and have experience with potentially very specific tools/technologies that you will almost certainly have to learn on your own.

You probably still need the regular experience to get noticed, but that's not what gets you through the interview.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone have any good examples of what successful negotiation e-mails look like? The OP doesn't have it, and google gives me a lot of results similar to the OP: why you want to negotiate, what info to disclose/not disclose, etc, but not a "Here's what a negotiation e-mail looks like."

I want to read through a few to get an idea on what they look like, how long or short they should be, how to press on some points and coming across as firm but not an rear end in a top hat.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chainclaw posted:

Does anyone have any good examples of what successful negotiation e-mails look like? The OP doesn't have it, and google gives me a lot of results similar to the OP: why you want to negotiate, what info to disclose/not disclose, etc, but not a "Here's what a negotiation e-mail looks like."

I want to read through a few to get an idea on what they look like, how long or short they should be, how to press on some points and coming across as firm but not an rear end in a top hat.

Straight, to the point, and saying nothing more than you need to.

Mine look something like:

pre:
> We're able to offer you $X and are excited to have you on board. Does Q work for a start date?

Hello PERSON,
I could accept $Y today, or I'll need some time for offers to finish coming in to evaluate. Q is fine if we can wrap by end of week.

Regards,
-lk

If you're looking for something specific, just say what you need to accept. They'll accept that or counter and you keep going until one side feels like it's not worth it anymore.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I always went with something along the lines of:

Thank you for the offer. After reviewing the total package I will can sign today with the following changes:

Comp of XX
PTO of XX
whatever else you need the is more than the offer

I really look forward to working at Company XX and I am sure we can come to an agreement.

Thank you for the consideration,

XXXX

Just riffing that quickly but you don't need a big long diatribe. Straight to the point as I don't care about why you think you deserve the increases, I just need to understand what you need and then I can get with HR and see what we can do.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Interesting, I figured it would need more rear end-kissing of some kind, and to be more vague on the request to see how high they will push it up, and not to be specific there. Something like "The project is great, the team is awesome, but this is under my expectations for this role."

It's also tough because I need to now figure out the differences between all the different kinds of bonus structures, and what they actually mean for take home pay each year. ISO, NSO, RSA, RSU, etc. It feels like I'm comparing apples and oranges with packages due to the caveats and differences of each of these.

Also so many companies seem to do that awful "unlimited" PTO thing nowadays, which I don't like at all. Can't really negotiate on it, it means that severance on layoffs will never include PTO, there's no retention incentive with additional PTO, and obviously it's not actually unlimited, you can't just take the job and never show up, so you have to figure out what the actual secret acceptable PTO you can take is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Personally I do like to be positive and nice with how I write it, but it's still brief and to the point. My style is along the lines of "Thank you for the offer, I really enjoyed your interview and would love to work with your team. I could accept $Y today, or I'll need some time for offers to finish coming in to evaluate. Q is fine if we can wrap by end of week."

What's really important is less the specific wording, and more the vibe. Which should be that you're awesome and in demand and have options, so they need to close this deal before you move on.

You can and IMO should be nice and professional about it, but tbh I don't think adding the niceties actually affects whether or not you get what you ask for. It's just a mechanical question of do they want you enough to give you what you ask for rather than risking you walking if they hold firm, or not. The niceties are really more about starting the relationship positively if you do ultimately accept their offer, and not really about the negotiation itself.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chainclaw posted:

Interesting, I figured it would need more rear end-kissing of some kind, and to be more vague on the request to see how high they will push it up, and not to be specific there. Something like "The project is great, the team is awesome, but this is under my expectations for this role."

It's also tough because I need to now figure out the differences between all the different kinds of bonus structures, and what they actually mean for take home pay each year. ISO, NSO, RSA, RSU, etc. It feels like I'm comparing apples and oranges with packages due to the caveats and differences of each of these.

Also so many companies seem to do that awful "unlimited" PTO thing nowadays, which I don't like at all. Can't really negotiate on it, it means that severance on layoffs will never include PTO, there's no retention incentive with additional PTO, and obviously it's not actually unlimited, you can't just take the job and never show up, so you have to figure out what the actual secret acceptable PTO you can take is.

The reason you're vague to begin with and don't say a number first is because most people can't anchor high and you want to defer talks about salary until there's significant sunk cost in your candidacy. It's very easy for them to cut people early in process because your ask is high. Later in the process, if they really want you, they're more fungible on price.

So the general advice is let them anchor, because people will screw that up for themselves. After that's out there and you're actually talking, you need to talk in specific terms. "that's not enough can you move higher?" without any specific ask gets a "no." as an answer.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If I got an offer with unlimited PTO, in my counter I would state how much I will be taking. Not binding but at least sets the expectation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you say "this is under my expectations for the role" the first question that is going to come back are "What are your expectations for the role so we can attempt to meet them?" (or, alternatively "gently caress off.") Guessing games are for children. The employer has put forth an offer; you respond to that offer with your specific requirements. The various bonus and deferred comp structures make things more difficult, for sure, but you still have to have a specific ask. My general advice would be to not try to change the structures, but instead change the amounts. If the company's comp includes ISOs, don't ask for RSUs instead.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

spwrozek posted:

If I got an offer with unlimited PTO, in my counter I would state how much I will be taking. Not binding but at least sets the expectation.

If you get an offer with unlimited PTO you should significantly raise your salary ask, because absent very reliable information to the contrary, you have to assume "unlimited PTO" will actually work out to mean "very little PTO and only when it's convenient for management".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can and IMO should be nice and professional about it, but tbh I don't think adding the niceties actually affects whether or not you get what you ask for. It's just a mechanical question of do they want you enough to give you what you ask for rather than risking you walking if they hold firm, or not. The niceties are really more about starting the relationship positively if you do ultimately accept their offer, and not really about the negotiation itself.

You're also negotiating with human beings so "Loved you guys, super stoked, really looking forward to working with you at the rubber chicken factory, I need X to make it work out" is going to be better received than "I need X to make it work out"

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^I agree that you should be nice but it all comes down to dollars at this point. The company wants you and you are at least close on pay if you are making a counter.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you get an offer with unlimited PTO you should significantly raise your salary ask, because absent very reliable information to the contrary, you have to assume "unlimited PTO" will actually work out to mean "very little PTO and only when it's convenient for management".

You are surely correct. I have never worked in the unlimited PTO world. It seems like a bunch of crap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which is also why at any joint with unlimited PTO you should be asking everyone who interviews you how much PTO they took in the trailing 12mos.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're also negotiating with human beings so "Loved you guys, super stoked, really looking forward to working with you at the rubber chicken factory, I need X to make it work out" is going to be better received than "I need X to make it work out"

Right, but you need to thread that needle so you don't come across as supplicative. You can be nice and positive but also maintaining the demeanor of "You need me more than I need you" which is hugely +EV in a negotiation. The former is a good thing but the latter is actually far more important.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you say "this is under my expectations for the role" the first question that is going to come back are "What are your expectations for the role so we can attempt to meet them?" (or, alternatively "gently caress off.") Guessing games are for children. The employer has put forth an offer; you respond to that offer with your specific requirements. The various bonus and deferred comp structures make things more difficult, for sure, but you still have to have a specific ask. My general advice would be to not try to change the structures, but instead change the amounts. If the company's comp includes ISOs, don't ask for RSUs instead.

Yeah I wouldn't try to change the type of comp, it's more trying to do the mental math of what X ISOs mean in take home pay compared to Y RSUs, for example.

I'd hate to be like "This is low, I was expecting total compensation in the range of $X+Y, with a base salary around $X and bonuses around $Y" and then have them be like "The offer we gave you puts you above $X+Y already."

Right now it looks to me like some of these stock structures are setup where it's not easy to cash out until a pivotal event happens (IPO, corporate buyout, etc), which says to me that you'd be basically gambling a lot of potential income on one company, your own, instead of playing it safe and spreading out investments. This also says to me that I probably wouldn't want to negotiate up on the ISOs, and instead lean more heavily on the salary, I'd rather take stable higher pay now than the potential for a huge cashout or not in however many years.

Does it hurt to be more aggressive on pushing on the base pay? I'm in a position where I can probably walk away from most offers (well, hopefully, the economy is hosed right now so no job is actually secure), and I like where I am already. So pushing harder on offers is a potential for me, but I also don't want to come across as an rear end in a top hat with something like "Can you make that offer 3x what it is?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Which is also why at any joint with unlimited PTO you should be asking everyone who interviews you how much PTO they took in the trailing 12mos.

This is something I've leaned into with everywhere I've talked to that offers unlimited PTO. I'm definitely seeing patterns between companies, some people are actually making use of it, others definitely not.

Unlimited PTO is also lovely in software development in general, and games in specific, because people are bad about taking PTO and will burn themselves out in those spaces. Having an actual PTO with a cap and accrual forces people to actually take time off to avoid burnout. I know plenty of people who would take zero days off a year with unlimited PTO and would probably end up with an explosive burnout event from that lack of self control.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 21, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As always, the value of any and all stock-option setups a startup may offer is $0.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The last company I worked at was not really a startup (had been around something like 10 years when I joined in 2005), and they had an employee stock purchase program that seemed pointless, so I avoided it. I was glad, because when they eventually got bought out, it sounded like most people who had bought in were lucky to break even on it, and due to the nature of the buyout everyone was forced to sell their shares instead of having them transfer into shares in the new owners or something similar.

That experience makes me extra wary of any stock awards besides RSUs setup to auto-sell on grant date, for a publicly traded company, with a strong preference still for cash bonuses instead.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I’ve got an offer for a place with unlimited time off, but here in the UK there is still a legal minimum of 20 days we have to take. I did ask the interviewers how many days they take off but the policy was only introduced in January. The company previously gave 25 days, but the HR lady said this year she’s taking 30 or so days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right, but you need to thread that needle so you don't come across as supplicative. You can be nice and positive but also maintaining the demeanor of "You need me more than I need you" which is hugely +EV in a negotiation. The former is a good thing but the latter is actually far more important.

Fully agree.

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah I wouldn't try to change the type of comp, it's more trying to do the mental math of what X ISOs mean in take home pay compared to Y RSUs, for example.

I'd hate to be like "This is low, I was expecting total compensation in the range of $X+Y, with a base salary around $X and bonuses around $Y" and then have them be like "The offer we gave you puts you above $X+Y already."

Right now it looks to me like some of these stock structures are setup where it's not easy to cash out until a pivotal event happens (IPO, corporate buyout, etc), which says to me that you'd be basically gambling a lot of potential income on one company, your own, instead of playing it safe and spreading out investments. This also says to me that I probably wouldn't want to negotiate up on the ISOs, and instead lean more heavily on the salary, I'd rather take stable higher pay now than the potential for a huge cashout or not in however many years.

Does it hurt to be more aggressive on pushing on the base pay? I'm in a position where I can probably walk away from most offers (well, hopefully, the economy is hosed right now so no job is actually secure), and I like where I am already. So pushing harder on offers is a potential for me, but I also don't want to come across as an rear end in a top hat with something like "Can you make that offer 3x what it is?"

The entire conversation around equity awards / options etc is going to be so specific to each potential employer that it's difficult to provide a blanket answer. You'll need to calculate the value of all of these different forms of compensation for each offer that you receive.

I notice that you are saying in your response "around $X/$Y" - stop doing this. Base salary X, bonus Y. It's a negotiation - they'll counteroffer, either meeting all/some of your demands or not. Then you get to decide what to do with their counteroffer. Specificity is generally good in negotiations once there's an initial offer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The entire conversation around equity awards / options etc is going to be so specific to each potential employer that it's difficult to provide a blanket answer. You'll need to calculate the value of all of these different forms of compensation for each offer that you receive.

I just want to lean on this that this thread sometimes gives answers without nuance but a job negotiation, especially one that is up the ladder a ways, will require you to navigate it on your own quite a bit. I think back to the guy a few months ago who thought "Don't Give a Number" was advice throughout the process and the poor hiring company was begging him to tell them what he wanted.

There's a reason why good negotiators make great money as a profession. There aren't a handful of weird tricks HR hates, it's about relationship building and steering toward a resolution that everyone is happy with. Getting different opinions and viewpoints is almost always a good idea and there ARE some best practices that can be useful but, this is important for everybody, be prepared that at some point you will be the only one who can make the best call.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I agree with Lockback here, especially the second paragraph.

The higher up I get on the corporate ladder the more I think every job is sales and politics.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lady Gaza posted:

I’ve got an offer for a place with unlimited time off, but here in the UK there is still a legal minimum of 20 days we have to take. I did ask the interviewers how many days they take off but the policy was only introduced in January. The company previously gave 25 days, but the HR lady said this year she’s taking 30 or so days.
Update your mental model, the UK legal minimum is 25 days. They can require you to take bank holidays from that 25, but they can also not bother with that and give you a bonus ~8 days, varying with monarch existence failures etc.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My email was "I should get offer+8%, please let me know. They came back with +x% and I accepted it and alls good.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

One thing I’ve found out from my current job search and hardball negotiations is that I’m well paid for my job title, in comparison to peer companies. I’ve been getting offers lower than my current salary for positions comparable to mine, and offers 10% higher than my salary for the next title up. This seems to chime with glassdoor too, which I was always skeptical of. It’s definitely eye opening - I always wondered if I was paid market rate, and never believed my manager when said the typical stuff about ‘benchmarking’ vs competitors.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As always, the value of any and all stock-option setups a startup may offer is $0.

I'm curious. Can you ever counter an offer of stock options with, "I'll forgo all stock options, but pay me $[bigger number]"?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

leper khan posted:

Lmao

How many honestly qualified applications do you think most roles get? Throwing otherwise good people out of the loop for nonsense is a recipe to not meet your hiring goals.

Reminds me of the story of the guy who threw out half the resumes because he doesn’t like unlucky people.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Quackles posted:

I'm curious. Can you ever counter an offer of stock options with, "I'll forgo all stock options, but pay me $[bigger number]"?

I've never heard of it being done. In most cases the company knows the options are worthless and are deliberately offering them in lieu of salary. They're designed to be worthless, because you can't cash them in at will.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 22, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Quackles posted:

You can do whatever you want. They won't go for it though.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

Being able to crush leetcode questions, solve very specific architecture questions in an interview setting, and have experience with potentially very specific tools/technologies that you will almost certainly have to learn on your own.

You probably still need the regular experience to get noticed, but that's not what gets you through the interview.

Ah I was misunderstanding, thanks for clarifying.

I'm pretty certain I could have done this, but the opportunity came to move into management. I don't know what management interviews are like compared to the dev leetcode hoops, etc. I need to get one scheduled to see how it differs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Golden Bee posted:

Reminds me of the story of the guy who threw out half the resumes because he doesn’t like unlucky people.
Dude's methodology is flawed. The people he threw out don't have to work with an rear end in a top hat. That's luckier than his eventual hire.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

downout posted:

Ah I was misunderstanding, thanks for clarifying.

I'm pretty certain I could have done this, but the opportunity came to move into management. I don't know what management interviews are like compared to the dev leetcode hoops, etc. I need to get one scheduled to see how it differs.

I think it differs a lot depending on the area, but the 2 people I know who went into Amazon management said it was very, very technical.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

I think it differs a lot depending on the area, but the 2 people I know who went into Amazon management said it was very, very technical.

That's good to know, becoming more proficient on the architecture side sounds like time well spent for me.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Golden Bee posted:

This is David Brent from the UK version of the Office.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I've got a question re: how much leverage I might have to negotiate a recent job offer.

I've been a contractor for the last 11.5 years and am now being officially hired on by the company where I've been stationed for that time. I'll be doing essentially the same job, as part of the same group, with the same people. They of course know exactly what my pay was as a contractor and the salary they're offering represents a 46% increase over what I'm currently making. The benefits package is also substantial: +50% paid vacation days right off the bat, bonuses, paid holidays/sick days (I know that's not necessarily uncommon but I've never had those before because my current company has poo poo for benefits), health insurance that's actually good, a loving pension, and a lot more besides. They know I don't have competing offers, we just have somebody leaving the group to move out of state and I pounced on the opening. And they know it's a huge step up for me in terms of compensation. How much can/should I expect them to budge on the salary number?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Your BATNA sucks so, this might be a situation where you are very limited

Is the offer pretty competitive marketwise? I assume it is if you haven't let already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Sounds like a "know when you've won" situation to me. Plus the poor batna, which they know about, and I might just take it as offered if it was me.

Others may suggest asking for a token increase.

I don't think you want to play anything like hardball here.