Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Lizardmen are definitely my favorite. They are the meanest and greenest faction (sorry orcs). I like to put the skinks on big dinosaurs and send them into melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough. I enjoy the strategic map part of Total War games but am awful at the tactical battles. :/
Pretty much every non-ranged faction has a lot of access to fast/flying/stealthy units intended to disrupt enemy ranged. Take plenty of those and flank super aggressively.

You'll soon find you're considerably better at protecting or attacking ranged units than the AI is, and will never lose a field battle again unless super outmatched.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I love that playing Skarsnik goblins is all about ducking and juking other armies. The sneakiest and cunningest of greenskins.
drat though will some factions go to war with you and then spend 10 turns just moving towards your capital. All the while some other faction they are war with just starts sacking thier realms. And they wont even think about going back to protect it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Flank attacks are just another Elgi scheme. Just hold your ground and let them come to you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3_thechaosdwarfs_drazhoath/
-Some closeups of Drazhoath, Infernal Guard, and K’daii Fireborn. The latter have damage reflection, increasing strength in melee, and some kind of conditional Unbreakable trait, otherwise they’re subject to Daemonic Instability.
-The campaign involves capturing and corrupting ancestral Dwarf artifacts to power the Drill of Hashut. Sounds like they might be the final enemy.
-Chorf unit caps will be raised by spending Armaments, one of their unique resources.
-Ulrika will be melee, ranged, and a spellcaster.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Is this dlc adding like a completely new campaign or something? Seems like a waste of money for $30 to get a single playable race that's essentially a blend of units from two existing ones with 1(?) Legendary lord.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Omnicarus posted:

Flank attacks are just another Elgi scheme. Just hold your ground and let them come to you.

We have big pointy sticks, I want to watch them try to take my artillery

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Is this dlc adding like a completely new campaign or something? Seems like a waste of money for $30 to get a single playable race that's essentially a blend of units from two existing ones with 1(?) Legendary lord.

Effectively? Like past race packs this one is going to have a unique goal on the existing maps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And that game of Total Warhammer went completely to hell in the blink of an eye. Another lesson learned, don't skimp on defenses in your heartlands. Goatmen will gently caress your poo poo up.

Over-extended with my two main armies and the threat struck from a direction I thought was safe.

Oh well.

I'm learning from every loss, I hope.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A half stack with walls+garrisons can defend your "safe" borders very effectively. Generally it's enough to beat an invading army or two, and even if you lose the army and some territory they can generally cause enough casualties to stall the enemy until you can get a real army over there.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol are they making their artists look up horrible burn scars to accurately model their funny little Dwarfs? Learning from Naughty Dog I see

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

There's 3 legendary lords

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

3 legendary lords / starts, one legendary hero. We only have gameplay teaser for one lord though.

Chorfs are going to be quite a bit more than just "you got your greenskin in my dwarf roster". You wouldn't say that vampire coast is a waste of money because it's just a blend of vampire filler chaff zombies and empire guns. It's taking the two aspects and doing something new with it and adding a lot of unique flair.

The dwarfs aren't especially dwarfy, are going to be used in combat differently, and are backed by full magic users, and monsters and demons. The greenskin side of it are filler and shock troops with some exceptions (iirc hobgoblin cavalry is pretty significantly different and a while lot meaner than wolf riders are) which will let you play very skaven-like, using the greenskin troops to screen for your gunline of angry bearded shotgunners and demon artillery.

Ultimately though, it's $5 more downside than khemri or vampire coast were at launch, both of which I've gotten quote a bit more than $30 of entertainment out of. I don't feel bad with the price point, but if you do, don't buy it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Three Legendary Lords, and as in previous race packs they will probably have unique campaign goals. But yeah, that's about in line with previous packs.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lucinice posted:

There's 3 legendary lords

Ah okay, I didn't know about the other two. I just saw the official trailer and campaign stuff so it seemed like a complete ripoff compared to previous dlc that had like 2-3 legendary lords for half the price.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I miss the animated bits at the start of new campaign

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Ah okay, I didn't know about the other two. I just saw the official trailer and campaign stuff so it seemed like a complete ripoff compared to previous dlc that had like 2-3 legendary lords for half the price.

It is completely fair to be upset over the price hike though, especially outside of the North American/Euro Zones like Latin America where the price is.. uh.. a bit more than just a 15% increase.

For those that don't care about Chorfs, sitting it out and getting it a year later or whatever when a big discount is bound to come is a good idea too.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's interesting that chorfs don't get black orcs; one of those things where they do both in TT and lore, but it would also make complete sense for them not to use them lorewise as well. So I wonder if it's a game thing or the new GW stance going forward. Also, I can't remember if their TT greenskin units had worse stats but given how they're going in-game, 'slightly more disciplined chaff' isn't really a compelling niche to fill

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's interesting that chorfs don't get black orcs; one of those things where they do both in TT and lore, but it would also make complete sense for them not to use them lorewise as well. So I wonder if it's a game thing or the new GW stance going forward. Also, I can't remember if their TT greenskin units had worse stats but given how they're going in-game, 'slightly more disciplined chaff' isn't really a compelling niche to fill

And the orc laborers are already AP who will probably be the best chaff unit in the game given their absurd numbers, no need to get beef them up even more with a black variant when instead you should have chorfs to stand out and be that beefier unit instead.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Door Frame posted:

I miss the animated bits at the start of new campaign

Yeah me too, but I get why they took them out. Every time they'd want to change a lord's startpos, not only would they have to re-record the lord's dialogue, but also all of his new neighbors to add him to their threat list and also all of his old neighbors to remove any references to him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Chad Jihad posted:

Lorewise and gameplay wise their update saw them lose access to Black Orcs cause they don't trust them. Even in their original version they were only allowed one unit of Black Orcs.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Did the black orc unit description in Warhammer 1 make mention of who created them? kinda lol that a unit that existed from literally day 1 took this long to include the entire reason why they existed

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Did the black orc unit description in Warhammer 1 make mention of who created them? kinda lol that a unit that existed from literally day 1 took this long to include the entire reason why they existed

Uh.. There were Chaos Dwarfs in Warhammer 1 as well you know..

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DaysBefore posted:

Lol are they making their artists look up horrible burn scars to accurately model their funny little Dwarfs? Learning from Naughty Dog I see

Have we got a thing of this being forced or is this more "lets try to make drama" thing?

Because I work in games studios for a living and you usually don't have to ask artists to look up gross stuff, they'll suggest it because they like what they do.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ninjahedgehog posted:

Grimgrog talks about da big ‘atted stunties in one of his quest battles so lol indeed

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Note to self: check victory objectives when starting a new Mortal Empires campaign.

With the vamps in the toilet I elected to boot up a new game as Kroq'Gar in Mortal Empires, and silly me thought Lybara would make a fine ally for the Great Plan.

Alas. Time to backstab a NAP/military access/trade agreement partner who only holds one minor settlement.

Sorry, lady. The Great Plan has no place for you.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjahedgehog posted:

The tabletop itself was largely uninterested in why black orcs exist, given that for several major editions of the game Chaos Dwarfs did not receive an actual army book or official support outside of the odd list in White Dwarf or some forgeworld stuff.

It was mostly a bit of trivia rather than something important, since the black orcs themselves obviously don't really care.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lorewise and gameplay wise their update saw them lose access to Black Orcs cause they don't trust them. Even in their original version they were only allowed one unit of Black Orcs.

Was that Tamurkhan? I figured that was just Legion of Azgorh specific

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

WH1 minicampaigns had a few issues - the scale was too small so all the battles took place in the same terrain, only a few factions implemented so you mostly fought the same enemies, campaign mechanics were underdeveloped compared to CA's more recent efforts. with WH3 resources you could do something with most of IE's variety but less cramped geography

Cranappleberry posted:

again, they definitely expanded on it, which seems cool, but the basis (the spreadsheet) is what Dark Elves had before. It's weird to me to change the DE mechanic to something less engaging because players didn't enjoy it/engage with it for whatever reason, then give their original mechanic to Chaos Dwarfs.

I also like the old Dark Elf mechanic more so I'll probably like the Chaos Dwarfs.

looks like the difference is delves only ever wanted one thing (slaves) which they got mostly from one place (battles) so your best option was always to stack them up in a developed economy province to max those gains

far as I can tell chorfs have several different resources which they get from different kinds of settlements, can exchange one type for another, and spend each of them on different things. it's like a micro-economy you manage directly with changing priorities, while slaves was more like an economy bonus meter you always want to fill up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Chad Jihad posted:

Was that Tamurkhan? I figured that was just Legion of Azgorh specific

Nah it was stated as being a Chaos Dwarf in general thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are Infernal Guard elites around the level of Hammerers/Ironbreakers or are they closer to Longbeards?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordja posted:

Are Infernal Guard elites around the level of Hammerers/Ironbreakers or are they closer to Longbeards?

Should be closer to Longbeards, I would guess.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lt. Danger posted:

WH1 minicampaigns had a few issues - the scale was too small so all the battles took place in the same terrain, only a few factions implemented so you mostly fought the same enemies, campaign mechanics were underdeveloped compared to CA's more recent efforts. with WH3 resources you could do something with most of IE's variety but less cramped geography

looks like the difference is delves only ever wanted one thing (slaves) which they got mostly from one place (battles) so your best option was always to stack them up in a developed economy province to max those gains

far as I can tell chorfs have several different resources which they get from different kinds of settlements, can exchange one type for another, and spend each of them on different things. it's like a micro-economy you manage directly with changing priorities, while slaves was more like an economy bonus meter you always want to fill up

A big part of the old slave economy in wh2 was the public order penalty. You stacked them in your most developed province both for the +% economy modifiers and also to stack public order penalties and cause a constant string of rebellions. Keep a minor army on hand to continually crush the rebellion for more profit and slaves to drive the money engine. Outside of the rituals, DE didn't really spend their slaves on buildings or upgrades or anything. Just make the number go up as high as possible.

Chorf labor on the other hand seems to be a lot more fungible. You spend it to build / upgrade your buildings, you spend it to rush construction, you spend it for economic boosts. Without it, your progress is locked up and your empire literally cannot grow.

Edit: been thinking about picking up the game again having not played since the beginning of IE. How has N'kari start played out now that he has access to warriors for an armored anvil? Did they make whip warriors worthwhile or are they still garbage?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 21, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here a comparison between some Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf stuff.

Regular Chaos Dwarf Warriors are a step above their counter parts.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SIGNATURE LOOK OF CONTEMPT

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doomykins posted:

SIGNATURE LOOK OF CONTEMPT

Contempt on the Tabletop was a rule that meant the Chaos Dwarfs did not expect anything of their allies and minions and so were not affected if they broke and ran. Only if their fellow Chaos Dwarfs broke and ran would their leadership be affected.

In this game it means, the expendable Labourers breaking won't affect the Chaos Dwarfs, the Hobgoblins, or their allies' leadership. And if Hobgoblins and Allies break, it won't affect the Chaos Dwarfs' leadership.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The Chad Jihad posted:

It was retconned in Tamurkhan. Black Orcs were driven off their empire and they never again tried to create more.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

It was retconned in Tamurkhan. Black Orcs were driven off their empire and they never again tried to create more.

It makes sense that Chorfs wouldn't be stupid to try and repeat something that almost got them all killed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Which reminds me, do Black Orcs reproduce in the same way as other Greenskins? Or is there a finite number of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
all greenskins reproduce via krumpin