Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A reporter for Vulture Magazine is now reporting that "VFX sources have told me Victoria Alonso was singularly responsible for Marvel's toxic work environment: a kingmaker who rewarded unquestioning fealty with an avalanche of work, but who also maintained the blacklist that kept FX pros wild eyed with fear."

And that she "personally approve every single shot, all the visual effects work, which is usually the job of a director or a show runner."

Ultimately, the work load was on the third party VFX studios and their executives, but they reportedly were mostly on board with taking as much work as humanly possible for the money and to avoid hurting any professional relationships. But, they say that Alonso was big on freezing out contractors who didn't deliver on time or without her input and that made even the bosses at the VFX studios who were all for crunching want to push crunch times even more to make sure they didn't get on her bad side.

quote:

"The main one that everyone's quite scared of is Victoria Alonso," another tech said. "If she likes you, you're going to get work and you're going to move up in the industry. If you have pissed her off in any way, you're going to get frozen out"

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1637953905781817344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh. Iger might actually be setting things right.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And a reporter for The Ringer, formerly at Vanity Fair, calls bullshit
https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1637955347347537920

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Certainly somebody in the comments saying if felt like they were trying to turn Alonso into Kathleen Kennedy doesn't feel entirely impossible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Huzzah, with this one person gone we've exorcised all our demons!

Yeah... So easy to throw a newly departed exec under the bus so I would take all of this with a grain of salt.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Its a movie marathon

https://twitter.com/jamaligle/status/1638196387870375942?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The main thrust is serving as a fundraiser for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to try and get their total to pass $1M in donations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

FilthyImp posted:

The main thrust is serving as a fundraiser for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to try and get their total to pass $1M in donations.

That’s a good thing!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
darkseid is

donating for charity

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking for The Life Equation

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Rock apparently kneecapped Shazam 2 and Black Adam by vetoing post-credit scenes and script changes to both movies to make Black Adam a rival to Superman instead of Shazam because he wanted his franchise to be on the level of Superman and not relegated to Shazam.

He wanted Black Adam to be "the new center of the DCEU" and reportedly demanded changes to elevate Black Adam and Superman as the major forces of the DCEU.

(This was all from years ago during the previous leadership at WB/Discovery from 2010 to 2021 and before the bombing of Black Adam, so it obviously did not work out.)

The Rock was so involved that he was personally making changes to the original Shazam movie to keep it out of his realm. And the WB execs just kind of... let him do it for a decade.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1638214451877773313

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 21, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s.. what? That would seem he didn’t understand the character at all?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Never thought the Rock would turn into Hulk Hogan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I understand having contractual power over his own (future) movie but they let him call the shots on the first Shazam as well? drat, what a bunch of doormats.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

I understand having contractual power over his own (future) movie but they let him call the shots on the first Shazam as well? drat, what a bunch of doormats.

In fairness to WB, I believe the original plan was to get a Black Adam movie out way before 2022. But, it was always just around the corner every year from 2010 on and the Rock was their anchor for the whole Shazam and Black Adam series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In fairness to WB, I believe the original plan was to get a Black Adam movie out way before 2022. But, it was always just around the corner every year from 2010 on and the Rock was their anchor for the whole Shazam and Black Adam series.

How does that relate to the specific changes? Not beefing with you, I just don't get what you mean. Shazam couldn't be introduced to the JSA because Black Adam was supposed to be out sooner?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

How does that relate to the specific changes? Not beefing with you, I just don't get what you mean. Shazam couldn't be introduced to the JSA because Black Adam was supposed to be out sooner?

Execs were likely thinking, "We've got a big tent pole movie starring the Rock coming out in a year or two. We're going to obviously want to highlight him and find ways to keep the character going. People will come to see a movie with The Rock in a way that people won't for Shazam. Let's use these to build him up and keep the star happy until we get this off the ground."

Cut to saying, "Just another year or two until his movie gets off the ground and he can run with it." every year for the next 11 years.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could definitely see thinking The Rock is a bigger draw than either Shazam or Zachary Levi 10 years ago, at the time they weren't exactly wrong, it's just that Shazam wound up being really good and the other stuff all fell completely off the rails

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's the thing about anchors, they're great for stability, unless you're treading water.

EDIT: Rocks too, come to think of it

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 21, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Rock is playing the Owl in the MCU and demanding him to be an X-Men villain instead of a Daredevil villain.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm still trying to figure out why they spent all that time and effort to make a Black Adam movie of all things.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

Certainly somebody in the comments saying if felt like they were trying to turn Alonso into Kathleen Kennedy doesn't feel entirely impossible.

even if the worst Star Wars fans hate Kathleen Kennedy for the worst possible reasons (and they do), I don't understand how she still has her job. when you're the head of Lucasfilm, being able to get a Star Wars film off the ground seems like it should be a pretty basic and fundamental test of job performance

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm sorry but Marvels issues with VFX absolutely does not fall on a single person and if you start to believe that you are eating propaganda.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Dave posted:

I'm sorry but Marvels issues with VFX absolutely does not fall on a single person and if you start to believe that you are eating propaganda.

Agreed. I have no doubt that Alonso was involved in pushing VFX studios to pump out results faster and faster to the point of breaking people and the system. But she's not the only one doing so for Disney. She's just the top of this particular poo poo pile. She's one link in a chain, and will be replaced. If there's any luck, the entire chain will realize that their next movements are going to be watched very closely, and these VFX artists will get a little breathing room. And hopefully that would last. But more likely, it won't, and at best, her replacement will just be more of the same.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

A trusted source told me it’s all Kyle’s fault. Fuckin Kyle, man. What a douche.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joe Fisto posted:

A trusted source told me it’s all Kyle’s fault. Fuckin Kyle, man. What a douche.

Oh, now we're cancelling Kyle!?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Arist posted:

Oh, now we're cancelling Kyle!?

Yeah that fucker owes me 17 dollars

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joe Fisto posted:

Yeah that fucker owes me 17 dollars

fair enough

e: for real though, Alonso might have been a part of this issue, but no way do I buy that she's the only part of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we all know who's really at fault, fuckin chatgpt bot

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Dave posted:

Has anyone said it does outside of some tweets?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Has anyone said it does outside of some tweets?

Yes Bob Marvel who posts in this thread leaked internal powerpoints.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

we all know who's really at fault, fuckin chatgpt bot

It deeply concerns me that Feige pitched a fit over K.E.V.I.N. wearing a hat because "it didn't make sense"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously any time you hear “solely responsible” it’s highly suspect and it sure seems likely it’s Marvel trying to scapegoat her to shave any of the criticism off in one blow. That being said if she was the person at the top then she’s certainly carrying a significant amount of the responsibility and that’s where you start to change the culture. And at the very least the slower schedule changes seem to be the other obvious step in the right direction. So while it’s certainly likely Marvel’s spinning this it also seems possible they’re making the right steps. Who knows?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
she was controlling the company culture with her oppress-o-rays, but has since been apprehended by Spider-man

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Variety has an, imo, even handed piece on Alonso's firing. It reads like she's taking the fall for Marvel's recent stumbles.

Also, this is 10000% talking about Ms. Marvel

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Variety has an, imo, even handed piece on Alonso's firing. It reads like she's taking the fall for Marvel's recent stumbles.

Also, this is 10000% talking about Ms. Marvel

"Marvel doesn't figure poo poo out beforehand"

I mean, not to belittle these people's suffering, but have you worked literally anywhere? Nobody has it figured out, and the larger and more prominent the end product, the looser the grasp seems to be.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Many movies and TV shows with Marvel size budgets do end up looking like actual films and prestige television shows. There is still competence to be found. Many people do have that poo poo figured out!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Without more info though, why even say visual artists struggled because Ms. Marvel's powers were different from the comics? That suggests the powers changed at some point unless they're admitting they just weren't fans of not using the powers from the comics.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Lobok posted:

Without more info though, why even say visual artists struggled because Ms. Marvel's powers were different from the comics? That suggests the powers changed at some point unless they're admitting they just weren't fans of not using the powers from the comics.

Maybe they got a jump start on stretchy powers before they got the word Marvel was changing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

Maybe they got a jump start on stretchy powers before they got the word Marvel was changing them?

Yeah, because isn't "figuring that poo poo out" what vfx folks are supposed to do? Like directors and writers can say whatever, but it's up to the effects team to say if that's actually doable or not?