Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My best friend is a bog witch, she heard what y’all are saying and is on her way right now :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Icon Of Sin posted:

My best friend is a bog witch, she heard what y’all are saying and is on her way right now :gonk:

I legit know someone who describes herself as a bog witch

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i know someone who used to post here who is a bog witch

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Isn’t bog Brit slang for a toilet?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjTO0231nM0

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

knox_harrington posted:

The armoured landcruiser looks awesome

well, that's one way to use the trident creatively lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Murgos posted:

Isn’t bog Brit slang for a toilet?

also Australian, but yes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
please shut up about a bog railway or my SO is going to get really excited and start trying to drag me on a scandinavian train trip

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

please shut up about a bog railway or my SO is going to get really excited and start trying to drag me on a scandinavian train trip

That sounds like "post a 9 hour video of the train trip from Trondheim to Bodø" to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLUqXuViWxE

Oslo/Dombås/Åndalsnes is also quite nice, and then you can rent a car and go up Trollstigen and over to Geiranger or something.
Apologies if this ends up costing you a lot of money.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 21, 2023

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Just imagine the mosquitos.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

I can't see the word landcruiser and not think of Harry Turtledove's lizards.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

knox_harrington posted:

I seem to always miss the weeks where these are discounted or are on the wheel in GTA online.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ChaseSP posted:

Where's my bog appreciators at

more of a swamp guy myself

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm only interested in the final form of bog, when it's become peat and subsequently used to kiln malted barley and distilled and aged into whisky. Hmmmmmm, smoky.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
After bad decisions with Jack in high school I haven't been able to touch whiskey. On the other hand, Oahu has a really great rhum agricole distillery now, would recommend.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

After bad decisions with Jack in high school I haven't been able to touch whiskey. On the other hand, Oahu has a really great rhum agricole distillery now, would recommend.

Ko Hanna? That place got me switched on to agricole rhum. Really hard to find that style in the US, but it's fortunately pretty common here in Europe.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like the funkiest of funk in my rum, things like Hampden Jamaican rum. Recently I discovered Clairin, which is kind of like a rhum agricole from Haiti, and its funky.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Borscht posted:

Just imagine the mosquitos.

Imagine how many mosquitoes you'd take out on a single trip with a well-designed train though. I believe a bog railway to be a crucial and necessary element of our campaign against the flying menace.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I like the funkiest of funk in my rum, things like Hampden Jamaican rum. Recently I discovered Clairin, which is kind of like a rhum agricole from Haiti, and its funky.

Try this and you're welcome (unless this is the Hampden you're talking about lol). If you like funk it's cheap and wild funky. Pit fermented whole cane that tastes like a dirty diaper full of overripe bananas (in a good way)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Try this and you're welcome (unless this is the Hampden you're talking about lol). If you like funk it's cheap and wild funky. Pit fermented whole cane that tastes like a dirty diaper full of overripe bananas (in a good way)

Get in my belly

I'm going to check my local liquor store for this lol, or get the owner to order a case of it, we're pretty good buddies.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

spankmeister posted:

I'm only interested in the final form of bog, when it's become peat and subsequently used to kiln malted barley and distilled and aged into whisky. Hmmmmmm, smoky.

I'm interested in the form that traps perfectly preserved corpses and lumber tens of thousands of years old. One of them purely for intellectual curiousity, the other for crafting.

In that order.

Or maybe not.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GD_American posted:

I'm interested in the form that traps perfectly preserved corpses and lumber tens of thousands of years old. One of them purely for intellectual curiousity, the other for crafting.

In that order.

Or maybe not.

Bog Oak is a thing. :discourse:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
50 % corn mash and charred new oak barrels is the hill I'll gladly die upon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Soul Dentist posted:

oh man this stuff

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

New American White Oak, no less. Also imo it should be distilled in one season by one distiller, aged for a minimum of 4 years in a government warehouse, and bottled (in bond) at exactly 100 proof

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Why do technicals always seem to be Landcruiser based? Not enough foreign F150s or something?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mercenarynuker posted:

Why do technicals always seem to be Landcruiser based? Not enough foreign F150s or something?

Real truck > cosplay truck imo

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

mercenarynuker posted:

Technicals are often Hilux-based, not Land Cruiser, which is a SUV.

Also, picture is not a technical, as it clearly is a factory model.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

At least for Ukrainian infantry, the small drones are practically disposable since they usually only last half a day of operations. So of course Australia gave them actual disposible drones made of waxed cardboard.

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1638097090906578944

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also land cruisers and hiluxs are actually good vehicles, unlike an F150

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

golden bubble posted:

At least for Ukrainian infantry, the small drones are practically disposable since they usually only last half a day of operations. So of course Australia gave them actual disposible drones made of waxed cardboard.

That doesn't seem like a half bad idea, really.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Whats the RCS characteristics of cardboard?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
being able to ship them flat pack seems like a very worthwhile advantage

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Also land cruisers and hiluxs are actually good vehicles, unlike an F150
It's annoying that the real truck version (J70) was not really available in the US for decades in favor of the dumb "comfort" J80 and J100 versions.

And that the J70 is still for sale in not-the-US even though there's no land cruiser for sale here anymore. Our Ozzy cousins can get a land cruiser pickup.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Bourbon is fine, but it's real easy to get bored of it imo. They're all variations on a theme.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

Availability and suitability for role. Landcruisers and Hiluxs are sold worldwide, are built tough for their size/weight, and are available in many configurations.
You can straight up buy a fleet of Toyota trucks, used or new, with not too much trouble.

Daesh seemed to like bigger American trucks, sourcing them used from the US through intermediaries, for use as transport, guntrucks, and SVBIEDs. They didn't seem all that concerned with keeping them running and had mounds of cash to burn though.

Mexican cartels utilize many 3/4 ton and up US pickups, partly because lots of them are assembled in Mexico or can be stolen from the government.

Technicals and proper armored cars are different, as stated above. Both are semi-disposable. The technical because they're cheap and can be aquired easily, the armored car because it takes the hit for it's crew.

The sales channels for the unarmored version of a truck need to be fairly well established. Armor is super heavy and wears out the vehicle's parts very quickly. There are and have been companies that make military, police, and security vehicles from American trucks or using American running gear. Plasan in Israel (Ford) or Kombat in Russia (GM) spring to mind. These companies buy in bulk and sometimes build major components themselves. Better to trust common driveline parts while concentrating on the chassis and body.

Think about cash-in-transit trucks, the most benign of armored cars. They are built upon proven trucks that are common in the places they'll be used. Big Internationals in the US, fullsized Ford/Fiat/etc. in Europe, the Isuzu Elf and Mitsubishi FK throughout Africa and Asia.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

madeintaipei posted:

Availability and suitability for role. Landcruisers and Hiluxs are sold worldwide, are built tough for their size/weight, and are available in many configurations.
You can straight up buy a fleet of Toyota trucks, used or new, with not too much trouble.

Daesh seemed to like bigger American trucks, sourcing them used from the US through intermediaries, for use as transport, guntrucks, and SVBIEDs. They didn't seem all that concerned with keeping them running and had mounds of cash to burn though.

Mexican cartels utilize many 3/4 ton and up US pickups, partly because lots of them are assembled in Mexico or can be stolen from the government.

Technicals and proper armored cars are different, as stated above. Both are semi-disposable. The technical because they're cheap and can be aquired easily, the armored car because it takes the hit for it's crew.

The sales channels for the unarmored version of a truck need to be fairly well established. Armor is super heavy and wears out the vehicle's parts very quickly. There are and have been companies that make military, police, and security vehicles from American trucks or using American running gear. Plasan in Israel (Ford) or Kombat in Russia (GM) spring to mind. These companies buy in bulk and sometimes build major components themselves. Better to trust common driveline parts while concentrating on the chassis and body.

Think about cash-in-transit trucks, the most benign of armored cars. They are built upon proven trucks that are common in the places they'll be used. Big Internationals in the US, fullsized Ford/Fiat/etc. in Europe, the Isuzu Elf and Mitsubishi FK throughout Africa and Asia.

still feel bad about this dude

like drat talk about blowing up your brand

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

still feel bad about this dude

like drat talk about blowing up your brand

Blocked sewers are getting serious

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

golden bubble posted:

Good job it doesn't rain in Ukr- ah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

madeintaipei posted:

Reminds me that sprinter and Chevy vans made the absolute worse chassis for armored cars. loving trash turning radius and ate through break pads like a kid through gummies.