Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cal isn't a Jedi because he was never raised to that rank by the Jedi Council. Luke is a Jedi because Yoda, a member of the council, raised him to that rank.

It's a very dumb technicality but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Cal isn't a Jedi because he was never raised to that rank by the Jedi Council. Luke is a Jedi because Yoda, a member of the council, raised him to that rank.

Welp. Time to change the title of the series.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr. Prokosch posted:

It's a very dumb technicality but whatever.

Technically Cere raises him to knight status near the end of JFO (she wasn't on the council but she was a master and everyone else is dead so whatever it counts)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I kinda assume Cal will end up heading for the Outer Rim

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wolfsheim posted:

Technically Cere raises him to knight status near the end of JFO (she wasn't on the council but she was a master and everyone else is dead so whatever it counts)

So what if there's an asterisk in the record!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It seems like the main plot is looking for a place to hide out from the empire so

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

One thing I do hope is that they don't kill Cal. I'm kinda meh on the notion that all the Jedi have to be dead by the time New Hope rolls around. There were supposed to be like ten thousand of them in the galaxy. It's okay for a few of them to hang on in the margins rather than killing off decent characters for the sake of some dumb canon ruling.

I don't see them necessarily killing Cal - based on him destroying the holocron in the first game, and the hints about his goals in the latest trailer, it seems like he's content to just help people not get scooped up by the Empire, and isn't necessarily looking to be the big hero who fixes everything. Finding some out of the way planet and just taking care of the people who end up living there seems like something that would keep him active enough that his story could continue, but far enough away from the main stuff that his absence doesn't feel awkward.

And I guess it's technically fanfiction now, but George Lucas has mentioned that his version of the sequel trilogy would have had Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order alongside the 50-100 who managed to survive in hiding, so if the guy who created the series says it's okay...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I always preferred it when it felt like the Jedi really were all gone except for a couple of old geezers, rather than having any number of them running around behind the scenes. It fit in well with having them be pretty much forgotten, rather than setting it up so anyone older than 25 or so who ever read the news would be able to remember them being a major force in the galaxy :dumbrim:
Oh well, that ship canonically sailed years ago.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm looking forward to hanging out with my droid buddy, flying a spaceship, and playing lightsabers

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
My Name is Cal Kestis, "Jedi Knight."

Wait...did I just hear air quotes when you said Jedi Knight?

I don't know what you're talking about. I am a "Jedi."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Something I also forgot until I played the first game again over the weekend is that you only really see Cere in action once at the very end, and it's her effortlessly killing a bunch of stormtroopers with a lightsaber and a blaster simultaneously so it's a nice touch that they're gonna let you also do that in the sequel

I also predict she will be the hard-hitting death that spurns the protagonist into action at just the right moment

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wolfsheim posted:

Something I also forgot until I played the first game again over the weekend is that you only really see Cere in action once at the very end, and it's her effortlessly killing a bunch of stormtroopers with a lightsaber and a blaster simultaneously so it's a nice touch that they're gonna let you also do that in the sequel

I also predict she will be the hard-hitting death that spurns the protagonist into action at just the right moment

I've been wondering what they have up their sleeve for the final set piece in the game. You can't do Vader again, or can you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been wondering what they have up their sleeve for the final set piece in the game. You can't do Vader again, or can you?

Vader was scary enough the first time TBH

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

somehow palpatine returned

.. from like the bathroom, he isn't dead yet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cyborg Maul's around at this point, right? He'd be pretty cool to fight.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

They should bring back the Dexter Jettster guy from Clone Wars who turned out to be evil, his dual-wielding double-sided lightsabers was legit hilarious

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe they could give us a new villain that no one has heard of before

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

My prediction: That pale Jedi in the bacta tank turns out to have a few screws loose and he's the final battle. There's probably also a setpiece duel against that Utapauan Inquisitor from the first teaser but I'm pretty sure he can't die until Rebels

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Two of the three main lightsaber duel bosses in JFO don't even definitively die so I could see either one popping up with like, a scar across their face

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You also have to battle the dark side version of yourself in a magic trance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skippy McPants posted:

One thing I do hope is that they don't kill Cal. I'm kinda meh on the notion that all the Jedi have to be dead by the time New Hope rolls around. There were supposed to be like ten thousand of them in the galaxy. It's okay for a few of them to hang on in the margins rather than killing off decent characters for the sake of some dumb canon ruling.

I hope they just let him get his bit done and ride off into the sunset.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
:10bux: says he shows up in Ashoka with a gray streak in his hair

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JBP posted:

I hope they just let him get his bit done and ride off into the sunset.

This would be great. It would be a nice change of pace to see a Jedi who doesn't try to fix the entire galaxy and instead focuses on keeping his family and community safe.

... Annnnnd, from a wider, more cynical PoV, I do expect Disney to continue seeding a stable of survivor Jedi into the new canon. They already have Ahsoka and Ezra. Despite the mess they made with the new trilogy, they're not about to let the Star Wars IP languish, and while shows like Mandalorian or Bad Batch are cool, they know there's too much money in kight sabers to let the Jedi fade away.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

This would be great. It would be a nice change of pace to see a Jedi who doesn't try to fix the entire galaxy and instead focuses on keeping his family and community safe.

... Annnnnd, from a wider, more cynical PoV, I do expect Disney to continue seeding a stable of survivor Jedi into the new canon. They already have Ahsoka and Ezra. Despite the mess they made with the new trilogy, they're not about to let the Star Wars IP languish, and while shows like Mandalorian or Bad Batch are cool, they know there's too much money in kight sabers to let the Jedi fade away.

It would be a good ending for Cal to acknowledge he is not the best of the best, he's the best of the rest and continue to do low key (if you can call fleeing Vader and killing his minions) adventures and missions for his local people in the future.

He could even decide being a Jedi isn't actually that important to his life and his goals and just go it alone, once again as a low key guy. I'd enjoy that story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cyborg Maul's around at this point, right? He'd be pretty cool to fight.

Yeah he's the boss of the Crimson Dawn organisation at this point.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Honestly, Cal bringing the Inquisitorious to Maul, who then chase him out of Crimson Dawn and eventually trap him on Malachor could work

Plus, the game devs do want to make this series a trilogy, so...maybe Maul's endgame, or a post-credits stinger reveal

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

My hope is that it ends with Cal just finding a place for his friends and maybe other jedi to live safely and undetected by the Empire. The game is called "Jedi Survivor" after all. It's okay to just be like "and this guy continued living somewhere"; the fact that he survives doesn't mean he needs to become Relevant in future Star Wars stories.

One of the things I liked most about Jedi Fallen Order is the way it ended. It was a great way to simultaneously avoid conflicting with future canon while still feeling like a thematically appropriate ending. I would probably be pretty down on the game if its story had ended badly, since the gameplay was just middling, but I left the game with a very positive impression thanks to its story/characters.

Skippy McPants posted:

Part of why I liked the ending of JFO is that Cal actually stops and seriously thinks about the potential consequences of his goal, and makes the conscious decision to reject the more typical heroic action by destroying the artifact instead of pulling all of these kids into a war they almost certainly wouldn't want to be involved in. It helps that he was also definitely correct to do so - something like his vision absolutely would have come to pass if he had tried to train those kids.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 22, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If Cal dies then the game’s title will be false advertising :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

If Cal dies then the game’s title will be false advertising :colbert:

It's Jedi Survivor, not "Jedi" Survivor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The third one is Jedi Victim

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cal: Master, how can I fight against evil without falling to the Dark Side?
Kreia, at it again: theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

JBP posted:

The third one is Jedi Victim

The third one is just a funeral pyre in Unreal Engine 5, occasionally being poked by an off screen character. New game plus is getting the dual wield poker from the start.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The third one is just a funeral pyre in Unreal Engine 5, occasionally being poked by an off screen character. New game plus is getting the dual wield poker from the start.

And by paying Real Money™, you can even get a 1% chance to throw on some fancy powder to make the fire different colors for a few seconds!

Star Wars Jedi: Gambling Victim, coming to mobile devices this fall!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Vinylshadow posted:

Honestly, Cal bringing the Inquisitorious to Maul, who then chase him out of Crimson Dawn and eventually trap him on Malachor could work

Plus, the game devs do want to make this series a trilogy, so...maybe Maul's endgame, or a post-credits stinger reveal

At this point there's basically zero chance of Solo II: Duo ever happening so yeah I wouldn't mind at all if Respawn wrapped up that particular arc. Cyborg Maul would be a sick boss fight and it'd be a fun change of pace to fight mostly gangsters and bounty hunters rather than stormtroopers again

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Vinylshadow posted:

And by paying Real Money™, you can even get a 1% chance to throw on some fancy powder to make the fire different colors for a few seconds!

Star Wars Jedi: Gambling Victim, coming to mobile devices this fall!

I mean, the first game avoided lootbox/microtransaction poo poo (disney wants to stay away from it), so I imagine this one will as well

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The one good thing that came out of EA buying the license was that the microtransactions in Battlefronts were so insanely predatory (I think it cost like $80 or 200 hours to play as Darth Vader or something like that) that it became a national news story and they had to walk it back

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wolfsheim posted:

The one good thing that came out of EA buying the license was that the microtransactions in Battlefronts were so insanely predatory (I think it cost like $80 or 200 hours to play as Darth Vader or something like that) that it became a national news story and they had to walk it back

If I recall, when that poo poo blew up, Bob Iger called up EA and ripped them a new one forcing them to take out the MTX.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

quote:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

quote:

We’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits, Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the Trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.
The "pride and accomplishment" reddit post is sitting at over 667,600 downvotes

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Maybe this has been done in the past and I don't know about it, but I'd like to see something set in the distant past to do with the Sith Wars. I know there's Knights of the Old Republic games but I've no idea what their stories were. Hell I don't even know what the Sith Wars are, I just think it sounds like lots of evil people killing other evil people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe this has been done in the past and I don't know about it, but I'd like to see something set in the distant past to do with the Sith Wars. I know there's Knights of the Old Republic games but I've no idea what their stories were. Hell I don't even know what the Sith Wars are, I just think it sounds like lots of evil people killing other evil people.

play'em brother they're pretty good