Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skooma512 posted:

There's not a G3 coming soon or anything like that right?

I stayed out of VR because of the hardware requirements and the fact it was in early adopter phase and likely to make gear obsolete in a couple years.

Index 2 is coming sometime in the next year to decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

skooma512 posted:

There's not a G3 coming soon or anything like that right?

No, the team that made the G2 have all been laid off. It's a huge shame, because the G2 is the best VR headset on PC right now. And that's not likely to change anytime soon. Maybe if PSVR2 is made available for PC, Sony did release the source code for it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Seems like there’s a sort of a plateau in VR headsets right now.

The highest consumer resolution is in the G2, not counting Varjo. The G2 pushes 2160 x 2160 per eye and the problem is absolute balls it takes already to render that. Increasing resolution isn’t likely on the table soon, so there’s no good direction to go.

Foveated rendering is what’s likely the next direction and that isn’t really up to the same group who is designing headsets. This is probably why the consumer headset teams have plateuaud and stopped hiring.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Vahakyla posted:

The highest consumer resolution is in the G2, not counting Varjo. The G2 pushes 2160 x 2160 per eye and the problem is absolute balls it takes already to render that. Increasing resolution isn’t likely on the table soon, so there’s no good direction to go.

Foveated rendering is what’s likely the next direction and that isn’t really up to the same group who is designing headsets. This is probably why the consumer headset teams have plateuaud and stopped hiring.

OLED would be nice though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Xakura posted:

OLED would be nice though

I’ve got my eyes (heh) on the Bigscreen Beyond.

Definitely a niche product, but one that hits me right in the forehead.

(Lol I’m a dork.)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MrYenko posted:

(Lol I’m a dork.)

That does look nice but lol at custom built IPD

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

This... kind of makes sense. I think the way forward over the next few years is software/driver related and hopefully some improvements in game/graphics coding to reduce the strain VR puts on hardware. I don't think brute forcing with better graphics cards/PCs is the way to go long term for the industry because that limits VR sales to cashed up dweebs (like me) who can afford the bleeding edge PC parts.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vahakyla posted:

The highest consumer resolution is in the G2, not counting Varjo. The G2 pushes 2160 x 2160 per eye and the problem is absolute balls it takes already to render that.

Except it’s worse than that because while it’s a 2160x2160 display, your computer needs to render a 3100x3100 pre-distorted image to counter the lenses’ barrel distortion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrYenko posted:

(Lol I’m a dork.)

I am pretty disappointed that VR seems to be going the way of "gently caress you if you have glasses" though.

Carth Dookie posted:

This... kind of makes sense. I think the way forward over the next few years is software/driver related and hopefully some improvements in game/graphics coding to reduce the strain VR puts on hardware. I don't think brute forcing with better graphics cards/PCs is the way to go long term for the industry because that limits VR sales to cashed up dweebs (like me) who can afford the bleeding edge PC parts.

Eye tracking with foveated rendering lightens the processing burden significantly, but it's also not exactly cheap to implement. I'm still seeing high-end headsets being announced that lack the feature (like the Vive XR Elite).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I am pretty disappointed that VR seems to be going the way of "gently caress you if you have glasses" though.

Eye tracking with foveated rendering lightens the processing burden significantly, but it's also not exactly cheap to implement. I'm still seeing high-end headsets being announced that lack the feature (like the Vive XR Elite).

I use prescription inserts for my G2 so I can see perfectly even if I have to wear glasses. As long as manufacturers leave enough room in their designs for that kind of insert, glasses aren't a problem at all.

Eye tracking and Foveated rendering makes sense I guess. In some ways, the "New" Nintendo 3DS is one of the best VR systems I've used in how it tracked the eye and distance so it looked right in VR even as you moved the console around, even when wearing glasses like I do (the first version of the 3DS didn't do that and you had to hold it rock steady at a specific point for VR to work). Also the fact that the games/screen had a relatively low pixel volume compared to a full HD VR headset made gaming possible - unless you were determined to have full photorealistic graphics.

I think a lot of people have slept on how good the NEW 3DS XL was. I really hope that the lessons learned and tech there are integrated into either the new Switch replacement (not holding my breath) or other manufacturers/developers/game devs pick up on it.

I first played/beat Ocarina of Time in 3D because of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

You can pay 80 dollars to get prescription lenses. With them precision forming the face foam to your actual face, I'm surprised they aren't permanently attaching prescription lenses to the thing as well. The custom face foam sounds like bullshit anyway. I don't think this has ever been a problem for other headsets.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, but I don't enjoy the idea of paying extra for custom prescription lenses, and also any such lenses would need to be trivially swappable.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Don't have a G2, but I use prescription inserts for a quest 2, and they are easily swappable. The up front cost is mainly for the holders/frames which are generally easily attached/removed (the ones I have use magnets, so if someone other than me is using the headset they can be popped on and off right away). Once you have one set of holders, you can get cheap lenses cut for them from any eyeglasses place when your prescription changes. (I guess I should add the caveat that I live in a country where getting prescription lenses is super cheap, but ymmv elsewhere)

My quest 2 was usable with glasses, but it was annoying enough that I tried the dedicated lenses and it makes a pretty massive difference IMO.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah, but I don't enjoy the idea of paying extra for custom prescription lenses, and also any such lenses would need to be trivially swappable.

they are?

I mean if you've got multiple people in the house each with their own prescription, its a 2 second job to swap out my lenses for someone else if they want to use my G2.

Now swapping between VR headsets from diffierent manufacturers - not so easy as each manufacturer uses slightly different shapes.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

quote:

I stayed out of VR because of the hardware requirements and the fact it was in early adopter phase and likely to make gear obsolete in a couple years.
That's pretty much how VR has been for the past... 30 years or so.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
This is maybe a dumb question, but is it not possible to do the optics in software? Tell it your Rx and it calculates and applies an appropriate distortion to the image frame so that one's mistaken misshapen eyeballs correct it? Maybe that's not how optics work because it seems so obvious that someone would have done it if it was possible.

Edit: I decided to look it up and it seems like it's physically impossible given the current pixel-based display technologies we use. Too much information is lost in the blurring process for the eye to reconstruct what it's "supposed" to look like.

The analogy I saw cited a few times was trying to print a book that would be readable by a nearsighted person without changing the font size.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 17, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there still a performance and/or compatibility impact for flight sims of Windows 11? Windows keeps pesterming me that it wants to upgrade.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
With the sale on in Dcs, what would be the best map to get? I'm thinking one of the middle east ones to be a contrast to the default one.

Really want to get the F16.......

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I think Syria is the most popular, and its pretty diverse so I'd go with that.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Syria is good and it receives a lot of content.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you dont have Syria get Syria for sure. Widest used map besides Caucasus

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there still a performance and/or compatibility impact for flight sims of Windows 11? Windows keeps pesterming me that it wants to upgrade.

I went for a walk and windows auto-updated to 11 :negative:, I'll find out myself

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can’t even make this poo poo up. Updated DCS and launched the MT executable. Launch into a mission, immediate hang resulting in crash to desktop.

Never change, DCS. Never change.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lord Stimperor posted:

sample size of 1 but i did not have any noticeable change when upgrading from 10 -> 11. it's certainly possible there was a change, just not anything that stood out

laptop with a ryzen 5900 something or other and a 3060 if that matters

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

That Works posted:

If you dont have Syria get Syria for sure. Widest used map besides Caucasus

Syria is the best map but it also has some pretty atrocious loading times and performance. I had to uninstall it on my old PC because at one point it just stopped working entirely.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lord Stimperor posted:

https://www.techspot.com/news/97963-default-windows-setting-can-restrict-gaming-performance-up.html

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Syria is the best map but it also has some pretty atrocious loading times and performance. I had to uninstall it on my old PC because at one point it just stopped working entirely.

Yeah I rarely play on it because the loading times are like MFS startup tier

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Apparently Inibuilds are doing an A380, according to their Discord. Official announcement supposedly at the Flight Sim Expo thing but it's exciting to me because I've been dying for some of the newer types of planes instead of the constant steady stream of the same old Boeings and Airbusses in the tubeliner genre. They haven't said if it'll be for X-Plane or MSFS either but I'll take what I can get.

I know FWB are also working on the 380 but they're barely ever mention it outside of saying "it'll be out when it's out", could be out next week or it could be next decade. Who knows with them, have kinda given up on it coming out at this point. Inibuilds have a pretty good track record with their planes (love both their A310 and the AN225!) so I'm cautiously excited about this one, and that it might actually get released within my lifetime.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

SU12 is out

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Oh Lord, let's see what they did to my beloved Beech 18. Last SU, the aircraft was unflyable till Carenado came out with their own update days later. :ohdear:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It seems like every SU re-breaks/unfixes an old major bug that was fixed in a previous SU. Wonder what this one will be.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
found a fun one! Set up a flight from a gate or ramp, then add a departure or import a flightplan or, heck, even just change livery! Boom, you're starting on the runway with engines running now motherfucker! I could get back to a cold/dark gate start by removing the departure from the world map

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Steadiman posted:

found a fun one! Set up a flight from a gate or ramp, then add a departure or import a flightplan or, heck, even just change livery! Boom, you're starting on the runway with engines running now motherfucker! I could get back to a cold/dark gate start by removing the departure from the world map

Either that's a previous fix that got unfixed or it's just always been like that, because my workflow setting up a flight just assumes it's like that. I set up the options for the plane, load/create the flightplan, and only then select the gate/ramp parking spot. (from the dropdown! because clicking on it on the map will often - but not always - cause the sim to wipe your flightplan and replace it with whatever it autogens) Otherwise yeah you're starting on the runway whether you meant to or not.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Theris posted:

Either that's a previous fix that got unfixed or it's just always been like that, because my workflow setting up a flight just assumes it's like that. I set up the options for the plane, load/create the flightplan, and only then select the gate/ramp parking spot. (from the dropdown! because clicking on it on the map will often - but not always - cause the sim to wipe your flightplan and replace it with whatever it autogens) Otherwise yeah you're starting on the runway whether you meant to or not.

I think it’s a regression, at least according to the beta forum. I tried it both by loading in the flight plan from simbrief and by autogenerating it in sim, even after setting it back to the gate after, it still started me on the runway after I loaded in to the flight. I think adding the departure caused it because without one it would work like normal. Also changing livery after you’ve set up your flight plan will cause this. At least for me, so maybe I’m doing it wrong. It is easy to work around but annoying that it needs to be worked around.

Edit: I should add that maybe it has always been there but I just didn’t notice because I usually only fly planes that import simbrief wholesale. so I skip the whole world map flight plan stuff entirely most of the time. I only noticed because I’m flying the Antonov a lot now, which doesn’t have simbrief importing for some reason, so it’s looking likely that it’s just me being stupid and it has been this way forever.

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 22, 2023

BatshitCrazy
May 12, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

With the sale on in Dcs, what would be the best map to get? I'm thinking one of the middle east ones to be a contrast to the default one.

Really want to get the F16.......

I would get Syria if you want to play on ECW

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Probably a good time to mention that the lead coder (Yink) of ECW is some kind of Nazi fan. When Enigma was pressed on the issue he even defended the fact that Yink was likely a Nazi and doubled down that he did not care because Yink did not talk about it on the server or discord and that he would "hire Bin Laden if he wrote good code and kept things to himself".

Ill still fly on ECW on occasion but no way I'm giving the youtube any traffic nor any patreon support for the server etc.

Apologies for the offsite drama but I think most goons would rather know vs not given the already high ratio of chuds in general in the milsim communities.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
What's ECW and Enigma? Do you have some context for those of us who are not up on drama (me basically...). I don't know much about milsim outside of DCS, is it something to do with that? I'd rather not spend any money with nazis, even by accident. Unless mods would rather not have this stuff in the thread of course.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Not DCS itself - Enigma's Cold War is a specific multiplayer server that's extremely popular. It's well thought out, has a lot to do, people love it. I bought a few planes and helicopters specifically intending to fly on it. But...

Enigma hung out in the Air Goons discord until he was walked out after saying he didn't care that the little miracle worker of his was a guy with a Rhodesian nationalist playlist on Youtube and WoW character named HimmlerX.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 23, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah that's basically the summary. Sorry for bringing in drama but it seemed relevant and contextual enough to mention.

ECW - Enigma's Cold War server is typically the most popular multiplayer server in DCS, especially for US primetime and Enigma themself are a popular youtuber (for DCS content). It's a good server, always updated and a lot of fun but uh yeah the people who run it are not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BatshitCrazy
May 12, 2009

Squiggle posted:

Not DCS itself - Enigma's Cold War is a specific multiplayer server that's extremely popular. It's well thought out, has a lot to do, people love it. I bought a few planes and helicopters specifically intending to fly on it. But...

Enigma hung out in the Air Goons discord until he was walked out after saying he didn't care that the little miracle worker of his was a guy with a Rhodesian nationalist playlist on Youtube and WoW character named HimmlerX.

Well that's a shame. It's unfortunate that there's hardly any competition for ECW.